• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for May 2015

Part of my thought process in creating that list is I'm still convinced that Splatoon has limited appeal outside of the Nintendo hardcore in the USA. Ergo, I expect steep drops in the next 35 days of tracking so it's not unreasonable to count its first two days as its "launch."

I'd love to be proven wrong, though. If Splatoon can maintain its launch sales, that would speak to broader appeal beyond the hardcore, and that's what Nintendo desperately needs.

ShinMaruku

The real question is why did people think the industry was not going to contract after the wii fad died and shifting market forces effected the market?

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Again...the ps3 and 360 took way longer to reach saturation at their given price points, their trajectories would have fallen quicker too had they sold much faster like this gen then. people act like because things have slowed down some it means that will continue forever?? That is silly, we are only now getting Curent gen only big name games to push people over, and ps4 is still launch price...Sales will go up again. When more next gen only games come and ps4 srops in price sales will go way up again.

You cannot directly compare the gens yet and make firm conclusions as this gen was not supply constrained and sol so much more. pS4 is 10 million ahead of ps3, that is a massive difference. People are over reacting, the contraction is mainly nintendo.

This is why saying they are in serious decline is silly yet, last gen and this gen are going to be vastly different in the sales curve because of how much better this gen sold at launch. It does not mean they will keep declining......
x360 had Kinect. PS3 also had PsEye and Move + BluRay to find a second wave of demand beyond core gamers.

Morpheus and Oculus, support, as amazing as they will be, will sell to a fraction of the core base. They won't attract non core gamers (too expensive, not holding the same social virtues) as much as PS3, x360 and Wii did with their motion gaming offerings.

So it seems very likely current consoles will have a hard time keeping up with the growth last gen consoles enjoyed at mid term of their lifecycle.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Could any of the insiders give us a range as to how well the Splatoon amiibo's have done?

I'd really appreciate the data.

We know we have 100k in Japan so I'd be nice to have a comparison as well.

They are.

PS4: ~7.90m
XB1: ~7.20m
360: ~5.75m
PS3: ~4.45m

Thanks.

sörine;167552619 said:
How about TTM like the 3DS/PSP/DS comparisons? And Wii for extra consideration?

I don't actually have the numbers handy in spreadsheets. Was just going off from what I remmber of the charts ZhugeEX post from time to time. Maybe he can help.

Ty4on

The real question is why did people think the industry was not going to contract after the wii fad died and shifting market forces effected the market?
Because markets tend to grow. The Wii wasn't that special after the PS2 which was also very popular among casual audiences. What happened was the casual market got a lot less interested in consoles which I think has more to do with a shift towards mobile devices. The 360 also had a (brief) time where it was the hot new thing with the Kinect.

x360 had Kinect. PS3 also had PsEye and Move + BluRay to find a second wave of demand beyond core gamers.

Morpheus and Oculus, support, as amazing as they will be, will sell to a fraction of the core base. They won't attract non core gamers (too expensive, not holding the same social virtues) as much as PS3, x360 and Wii did with their motion gaming offerings.

So it seems very likely current consoles will have a hard time keeping up with the growth last gen consoles enjoyed at mid term of their lifecycle.

Move did nothing for ps3..so not sure what you are talking about there. I don't see growth being an issue at all, ps4 is still launch price and we are only starting to see next gen only big name titles now...The best is yet to come. Like pretty much every console.

donny2112

You are now the graph guy!

Hey, man, what was I going to do? Just let discussion continue without striking visual aids?

t11Dvh7.gif

Once again, that contraction.....not decline, contraction......is due to Nintendo. Not Sony. Not Microsoft. Their consoles are thriving. It's due to the millions of people who bought a Wii and would not have otherwise bought a console to begin with. These people, like my sister and my grandmother and my mother in law, did not move on to another console. The industry is not in 'decline'.

So you think the Xbox One and PS4 will match the 360 and PS3's number of 160 million? That would require the PS4 to sell 100 million and the Xbox One to sell 60.

This generation is going to be the lowest selling generation since the 5th gen. 6th gen sold 190 million between PS2, GameCube and Xbox. No console is going to come close to the PS2's sucess. PS4 will be lucky to hit 100, Xbox One will be lucky to do higher than 50, and the Wii U probably won't hit 20.

joecanada

Because markets tend to grow. The Wii wasn't that special after the PS2 which was also very popular among casual audiences. What happened was the casual market got a lot less interested in consoles which I think has more to do with a shift towards mobile devices. The 360 also had a (brief) time where it was the hot new thing with the Kinect.

Please post a list of best selling software on ps2 sold to casual audiences in comparison to shit like Wii sports

Jomjom

Banned
I don't see why MS needs anything specific to win a month. I mean they've had virtually nothing this entire year and the Xbone won April and was extremely close this NPD. June will be Sony's because of the cool Batman LE console. But after that I see Xbone winning on the hype after MS shows off it's best lineup in the history of the Xbox at E3 combined with the anticipation of Halo, Gears, TR and Forza.

As for MGSV, has the LE console even been announced for NA? I thought it was only in EU? If it's just the game that we get here in the US I don't see why it would necessarily mean a win for the PS4, it's coming on PC and Xbone.

Jigorath

Banned

Move did what now for PS3? lol

I mean, to me, 136k is not "a bomb" or whatever, but is it really much more than that? I understand all your confounding factors-- new IP, essentially comatose platform-- but you also have some important counterweights. First of all, the audience buying games on the WiiU is incredibly hardcore, as evidenced by Nintendo's core software sales across the platform this year and last year. Second, there was a very significant advertising push. The 136k sounded familiar to me and I couldn't place where. Then I remembered-- that's 3Kish worse than Heavenly Sword did in September 2007 when the PS3 was essentially a zombie. I don't think that got nearly the same caveats when people were talking about its US performance. You've also got digital, so there's that, but there are also more Wii Us than there were PS3s in year 1 so I'll just consider that even.

I think it's not a catastrophic number. It's not a Wonderful 101 number. But I don't really think it's a good number or an impressive number (I'm surprised CosmicQueso said that). Given Nintendo's strength on the platform, it's basically what you'd require of the title for it to not be considered destined for B-tier Nintendo IP land.

I get that it's "TWO DAYS" of sales but we have this discussion for games all the time. Excepting all but the genre titans, you've still got a really significant chunk of LTD sales in your first couple of days due to the way game releases work.

it's wiiu, anything that's not a nintendo major franchise and doesn't bomb is considred impressive. bayonetta 2 did 70k in 4 days, the next month it did very little. i dont see splatoon becoming nintendo's next big a ip, i don't expect to sell much in the us or europe next month.

The UK is a really bad example for claiming that Splatoon is a hit. Yes it has held decently in the charts, but that has everything to do with the weakness of the release schedule and very little with any Splatoon strength. Splatoon's two week sales have at max been about 37K which is about one eight of the Witcher 3's confirmed physical sales of 275K in the same market and period. That Splatoon has held is due to the fact that the stuff below it is evergreen titles.

I suspect that the absence of competition will give Splatoon a decent chance of charting, but odds are it will be degrees of magnitude below Batman, and likely the Witcher 3.

Squozen

The game costs around 32m with 35m additional marketing costs.

So we are talking 67m. We can assume an even split between PC/PS4/X1 so that would be 22m each.

I'm not sure if 700k copies can be profitable to a 22m project.

But its just me speculating, no need to be aggressive.

You're not seriously suggesting that if an Xbox One port hadn't been made the developers would have saved $22m, are you? Because that's asinine.

The majority of the costs on AAA games come from assets, not code. The engine is shared and both consoles have a relatively similar architecture to the lead platform. I'd expect the cost of the X1 port to be a couple of million at most, and that's probably overestimating.

sörine

Banned
Please post a list of best selling software on ps2 sold to casual audiences in comparison to shit like Wii sports
Back then people who played Madden or GTA and not much else were considered casuals. The definition of casual gamers (and core gamers too) has shifted a bit over the years, now they seem to represent purely what specific games/genres people play rather than how they play them. A more accurate branding of these groups would probably be traditional gamers versus mainstream gamers. And the mainstream's been present on every hugely successful console, from 2600 to NES to PSX to Wii to 360.

For similar genres to Wii Sports things like Eyetoy or Singstar were huge on PS2. But GTA3 was a game everyone owned, and for some the only game they owned. Those were casuals gamers helping drive those larger numbers though. It was the same with GT and Parappa on PS1. Or Super Mario Bros on NES or Tetris on GB. All these games were huge casual hits in their day.

Game Guru

So you think the Xbox One and PS4 will match the 360 and PS3's number of 160 million? That would require the PS4 to sell 100 million and the Xbox One to sell 60.

This generation is going to be the lowest selling generation since the 5th gen. 6th gen sold 190 million between PS2, GameCube and Xbox. No console is going to come close to the PS2's sucess. PS4 will be lucky to hit 100, Xbox One will be lucky to do higher than 50, and the Wii U probably won't hit 20.

You know, I always find it funny when people predict that XB1 will only do 50 million since that will mean the console will end up only three million behind the 3DS which has sold 53 million. Nintendo's collapsing handheld will have still done better than every dedicated system besides the PS4.

I don't see why MS needs anything specific to win a month. I mean they've had virtually nothing this entire year and the Xbone won April and was extremely close this NPD. June will be Sony's because of the cool Batman LE console. But after that I see Xbone winning on the hype after MS shows off it's best lineup in the history of the Xbox at E3 combined with the anticipation of Halo, Gears, TR and Forza.

As for MGSV, has the LE console even been announced for NA? I thought it was only in EU? If it's just the game that we get here in the US I don't see why it would necessarily mean a win for the PS4, it's coming on PC and Xbone.

They won April because the biggest retailer in the US had a large trade in deal all month, and batman bundle has been cutting sales of ps4 the last 2 months that will go into June......

Your overestimating the impact exclusives have outside halo...... Froza and TR won't be moving much hardware like Sunset and forza didn;t last year.

You are making an assumption Sony wont have a great e3 why? Nothing in MS lineup looks like near the best MS conference ever, not even close.

MGS is heavily slanted towards PS like Final Fantasy.....a game doesn't need to be exclusive to push hardware in one direction.

How does MS going from losing every month except 1 by a nose to winning by landslides? Because of e3 hype that we have not even seen yet?

I mean if that is the measuring stick you are using then every console on the planet did bad,...ps2 will never happen again it had a large portion of the market to itself, it had GTA as exclusive.

The ps4 will hit 100 mill and it will drop in price faster as it was designed with that in mind.

Sterok

The "consoles are dead" thing turns around immediately with a healthy Nintendo.

Nintendo's been here before. And they've rebounded in spectacular ways.

Anyone assuming Nintendo is dead and buried and Consoles along with them may end up being quite mistaken.

Nintendo is the #2 software publisher YTD btw...

Nintendo is #2? I assume WB is #1. Hm, Nintendo has had Majora's Mask, Mario Party, and Splatoon in terms of major releases, plus Smash legs and a number of smaller releases. Decent sure, but I'm somewhat surprised that Call of Duty/GTA legs didn't push Activision/Rockstar past them. Or Sony's numerous releases.

I guess we'll see, won't we? I personally think PS4 will hit 100mil, but who knows? It doesn't need to reach PS2 levels to be a success.

sörine

Banned
it's wiiu, anything that's not a nintendo major franchise and doesn't bomb is considred impressive. bayonetta 2 did 70k in 4 days, the next month it did very little. i dont see splatoon becoming nintendo's next big a ip, i don't expect to sell much in the us or europe next month.
Bayo 2 more than doubled those sales over the following 2 months iirc. It ended up outperforming the PS3 version of Bayo 1 and coming in close behind the 360 Bayo 1. Not exactly "very little" relatively although it was also the holidays while B1 was a Q1 launch.

Sandfox

Once again, that contraction.....not decline, contraction......is due to Nintendo. Not Sony. Not Microsoft. Their consoles are thriving. It's due to the millions of people who bought a Wii and would not have otherwise bought a console to begin with. These people, like my sister and my grandmother and my mother in law, did not move on to another console. The industry is not in 'decline'.

That sure explains why everyone has a smaller piece piece in that graph. That graph shows me that every console developers failed to attract that huge audience due to poor efforts.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
The "consoles are dead" thing turns around immediately with a healthy Nintendo.

Nintendo's been here before. And they've rebounded in spectacular ways.

Anyone assuming Nintendo is dead and buried and Consoles along with them may end up being quite mistaken.

Nintendo is the #2 software publisher YTD btw...

Wait really? #2? Who's at #1 then? I assume EA (Battlefield) or WB (Dying Light, Witcher)?

DrWong

Nintendo is #2? I assume WB is #1. Hm, Nintendo has had Majora's Mask, Mario Party, and Splatoon in terms of major releases, plus Smash legs and a number of smaller releases. Decent sure, but I'm somewhat surprised that Call of Duty/GTA legs didn't push Activision/Rockstar past them. Or Sony's numerous releases.

They also have plenty of other titles with solid legs. I'm sure MK7, MK8, Animal Crossing, Pokemon... are decently adding to their bottom line.

Fdkn

sörine;167556983 said:
Back then people who played Madden or GTA and not much else were considered casuals. The definition of casual gamers (and core gamers too) has shifted a bit over the years, now they seem to represent purely what specific games/genres people play rather than how they play them. A more accurate branding of these groups would probably be traditional gamers versus mainstream gamers. And the mainstream's been present on every hugely successful console, from 2600 to NES to PSX to Wii to 360.

For similar genres to Wii Sports things like Eyetoy or Singstar were huge on PS2. But GTA3 was a game everyone owned, and for some the only game they owned. Those were casuals gamers helping drive those larger numbers though. It was the same with GT and Parappa on PS1. Or Super Mario Bros on NES or Tetris on GB. All these games were huge casual hits in their day.

You are mixing things. The type of consumer that bought ps2s for Eyetoy, Singstar and Buzz are the same who then bought Wiis only to play WiiSports, WiiFit and all those party games, but in the Wii era the penetration was obviously bigger in that market.

But that narrative about GTA is ridiculous because you can't prove that there was a massive amount of GTA3 owners that didn't buy anything else, and even if that were true, those hypotheticals one-game-only consumers would still be present in ps360 and current gen looking at the growth of GTA and Fifa compared to then.

It's amusing how you like to point at the attach rate of Wii to prove those casuals bought software, that they obviously did because there were tons of tittles aimed at them, but you are ignoring ps2 attach rate to argue that it was common to only own a game on that system. And it wasn't.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
1) Super Smash Bros. U = 670K physical, 710K physical + digital (November 2014)

2) Mario Kart 8 = 377K physical (May 2014)

3) Mario Party 10 = 290K physical + digital (March 2015)

4) Captain Toad = 250K (December 2014)

5) New Super Mario Bros. U = 244K physical (November 2012)

6) Super Mario 3D World = 215K physical + digital (November 2013)

7) Hyrule Warriors = 190K physical + digital (September 2014)

8) Splatoon = 136K physical (May 2015)

9) Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze = 130K physical + digital (February 2014)

10) Pikmin 3 = 105K physical, 115K physical + digital (August 2013)

That's better.

Yeah, I don't know where he's getting #4 from.

Wow I had no idea Toad sold 250k at launch!

sörine

Banned
You are mixing things. The type of consumer that bought ps2s for Eyetoy, Singstar and Buzz are the same who then bought Wiis only to play WiiSports, WiiFit and all those party games, but in the Wii era the penetration was obviously bigger in that market.

But that narrative about GTA is ridiculous because you can't prove that there was a massive amount of GTA3 owners that didn't buy anything else, and even if that were true, those hypotheticals one-game-only consumers would still be present in ps360 and current gen looking at the growth of GTA and Fifa compared to then.

It's amusing how you like to point at the attach rate of Wii to prove those casuals bought software, that they obviously did because there were tons of tittles aimed at them, but you are ignoring ps2 attach rate to argue that it was common to only own a game on that system. And it wasn't.
I didn't say there was a massive amount, only some. There were also consumers who only played the packed in Wii Sports on Wii or SMB+Duck Hunt on NES too. I'm not sure what attach rate has to do with any of this either, other than indicating all these mainstream systems are pretty comparable. Casuals aren't a uniquely Wii driven phenomenon, they've been gaming since the 70s.

AniHawk

it is due to everyone.

dedicated hardware is not just consoles.

microsoft sold 88m units of dedicated hardware last gen. they will maybe sell about 50m this gen.

sony sold about 175m units of hardware last gen. they will maybe sell about 125m units this gen.

nintendo sold about 255m units of hardware last gen, and they look to sell about 75m units this gen.

that's being fairly optimistic with timelines too, i feel, assuming that people don't immediately jump onto the next console line like they did this one so the current consoles have a bit more time to sell.

this is what i meant by cherry-picking examples. it doesn't give an accurate view of what is happening to the industry. there's less software being moved at retail, fewer consoles sold, less variety, and fewer companies. and not just compared to last gen where there was massive growth, but the one prior as well.

at best you might say that the console market for sony and microsoft has been relatively steady (it looks like it's slowly declining as well) since the ps2 era (gen 6: 180m, gen 7: 178m, gen 8: 165m?). when game budgets get bigger and the userbase stays the same, it's not a healthy atmosphere.

Jomjom

Banned
They won April because the biggest retailer in the US had a large trade in deal all month, and batman bundle has been cutting sales of ps4 the last 2 months that will go into June......

Your overestimating the impact exclusives have outside halo...... Froza and TR won't be moving much hardware like Sunset and forza didn;t last year.

You are making an assumption Sony wont have a great e3 why? Nothing in MS lineup looks like near the best MS conference ever, not even close.

MGS is heavily slanted towards PS like Final Fantasy.....a game doesn't need to be exclusive to push hardware in one direction.

How does MS going from losing every month except 1 by a nose to winning by landslides? Because of e3 hype that we have not even seen yet?

Well it's mostly because of Halo 5 because that thing WILL sell loads of consoles. The other ones are just gravy. I mean look at what people looking to adopt an Xbone will be looking forward to... "Hmmm if I get an Xbone right now I'll have TR, Forza, Gears of War remake, and HALO 5 to play all in the last couple months of 2015."

Meanwhile, people considering a PS4, "Hmmm I have Persona 5 and Tales of Xillia to look forward to!" There's at maximum however many people are attending Anime Expo this year who are saying this.

Fdkn

sörine;167559246 said:
I didn't say there was a massive amount, only some. There were also consumers who only played the packed in Wii Sports on Wii or SMB+Duck Hunt on NES too. I'm not sure what attach rate has to do with any of this either, other than indicating all these mainstream systems are pretty comparable. Casuals aren't a uniquely Wii driven phenomenon, they've been gaming since the 70s.

Nobody ever said casuals were unique to the Wii. What's always said is that they were much more numerous in that system, and that's something hard to argue unless you want to rule out every evidence and how the system grew and collapsed afterwards.

Its safe to say that casuals are already present on current gen and their number will grow, but unless something unexpected happens the number of them will never be near the Wii era (and thats not only counting Wii owners, ps360 too), thats where the big contraction happened because they no longer need consoles to satisfy their needs

it is due to everyone.

dedicated hardware is not just consoles.

microsoft sold 88m units of dedicated hardware last gen. they will maybe sell about 50m this gen.

sony sold about 175m units of hardware last gen. they will maybe sell about 125m units this gen.

nintendo sold about 255m units of hardware last gen, and they look to sell about 75m units this gen.

that's being fairly optimistic with timelines too, i feel, assuming that people don't immediately jump onto the next console line like they did this one so the current consoles have a bit more time to sell.

this is what i meant by cherry-picking examples. it doesn't give an accurate view of what is happening to the industry. there's less software being moved at retail, fewer consoles sold, less variety, and fewer companies. and not just compared to last gen where there was massive growth, but the one prior as well.

at best you might say that the console market for sony and microsoft has been relatively steady (it looks like it's slowly declining as well) since the ps2 era (gen 6: 180m, gen 7: 178m, gen 8: 165m?). when game budgets get bigger and the userbase stays the same, it's not a healthy atmosphere.

Where did sony sell 175 mill last gen??? If you are using PSP that is irrelevant two different markets and mobile has eaten mobile. Sony will sell more this gen then last in the HOME console market.

Top Bottom