• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for May 2015

Ty4on

Please post a list of best selling software on ps2 sold to casual audiences in comparison to shit like Wii sports
I'd argue Gran Turismo has a unique audience with a lot of people who normally don't play games and both 3 and 4 surpassed 10 million.
According to the list on Wikipedia (ego ignavus) Eyetoy sold 4 million, Guitar Hero 2 sold 3.4, Finding Nemo, Lego Star Wars and The Sims at 1.4. Single sales only so with Guitar Hero especially there are tons more sales combined.

It was scewed much more towards the male audience and didn't have as many individual mega sellers like we have today (basically just GTA and GT), but it also had a lot more smaller titles that are dead now like Tony Hawk, Jak & Daxter, Ratchet and Clank that all sold several million each. I wanted to include more of the casual titles directed mainly towards men like sports games and GTA, but they never left.

Singstar wasn't on the list (possibly due to all the SKUs), but I'm pretty sure it did a lot worse on the PS3 and franchise sales in PAL is said to be 16 million on its wiki page. I couldn't find any sales for Buzz, but I think that did decent numbers in PAL. Sucks that we can't have GfK leaks :/

Edit: The PS2 also had tons of shovel ware that I'm forgetting. Probably not as much as the Wii, but it felt like most those guys just moved over to the Wii or made PS2 ports (remember those?).

Fdkn

Shovelware is software developed on a low budget and with a quick turnaround.

That's not the definition of shovelware we've used all these years at all in this forum or any gaming context. And a few minutes on google didn't get me a result similar to what you say even for non gaming software.

The term shovelware is applied to games lacking quality/terribly rushed, those crappy licensed titles that you find on bargain bins, etc.

A low budget game is a low budget game, that doesn't turn it into shovelware if it is well done. So now I see why I didn't agree about your previous labelling of EDF and similar titles

Haha,

Sorry it's long and sorry that my English is poor sometimes.

I just thought I haven't made a meaningful post in a while so why not type up a 2,600 word essay.....

Very salient points. I don't agree with all of it (I'm more bullish on the future of gen 8 sales) but it's pretty awesome that you took time to write it, and articulate yourself that well. You obviously have a good grasp on the industry. I'm curious......what's your take on this coming holiday season? How are you expecting consoles and games to perform at retail? Lots of games leaving gen 7 behind, which will force quite a bit of gen 8 adoption. You're obviously incredibly insightful (impressively so), so.......thoughts?

The term shovelware is applied to games lacking quality/terribly rushed, those crappy licensed titles that you find on bargain bins, etc.

Yes, low budget games that are quickly produced.
Just because one happens to be good doesn't stop it being a shovelware title.
Just like a game with a huge marketing campaign, extended development cycle and top-tier development studio that turns out to be shit doesn't stop that being an AAA game.

A healthy platform has plenty of shovelware because theres enough money floating around to support quick cash in titles. And I might personally roll my eyes at a title like Zombies vs Ambulances but someone out there will have enough fun with it to justify their buy price.

Shovelware represents gaming darwinism. It only exists in ecosystems healthy enough to support diversity of product.

ZhugeEX

Banned
Very salient points. I don't agree with all of it (I'm more bullish on the future of gen 8 sales) but it's pretty awesome that you took time to write it, and articulate yourself that well. You obviously have a good grasp on the industry. I'm curious......what's your take on this coming holiday season? How are you expecting consoles and games to perform at retail? Lots of games leaving gen 7 behind, which will force quite a bit of gen 8 adoption. You're obviously incredibly insightful (impressively so), so.......thoughts?

Thanks,

This year I'm expecting the holiday season sales to exceed 4.5 million units across PS4/X1 which would be higher than 2014 holiday season.

I expect this to be driven by lower pricing on the Xbox One and PS4, new game software titles that are exclusive to the next generation and thanks to upcoming releases in Q1 2016.

I'm basing this off past historical trends around exclusive/bundled/holiday software sales, AMD forecasts and my own personal forecast which expects 2015 and 2016 to be the peak years for X1/PS4 sales.

Here is a chart I made a while back. Basically I've foretasted 12 million sales this year in the USA across PS4/X1/Wii U. Although I'm wary that it may actually be slightly less than this projected total.

Annual1_zps5c8laroi.jpg

ShinMaruku

Because markets tend to grow. The Wii wasn't that special after the PS2 which was also very popular among casual audiences. What happened was the casual market got a lot less interested in consoles which I think has more to do with a shift towards mobile devices. The 360 also had a (brief) time where it was the hot new thing with the Kinect.

Growth always gets punctuated by periods of decline and keeping steady. The assumption of continual growth will always end up harmful.

Thanks,

This year I'm expecting the holiday season sales to exceed 4.5 million units across PS4/X1 which would be higher than 2014 holiday season.

I expect this to be driven by lower pricing on the Xbox One and PS4, new game software titles that are exclusive to the next generation and thanks to upcoming releases in Q1 2016.

I'm basing this off past historical trends around exclusive/bundled/holiday software sales, AMD forecasts and my own personal forecast which expects 2015 and 2016 to be the peak years for X1/PS4 sales.

Thanks Zhuge. You mind if I ask another question?

Are you anticipating a price drop for both consoles? You think 299 for Sony is possible to offset the monster that Halo 5 will likely be?

And just for clarification......basically you think 2016 will be a gangbusters year for both consoles, and it will taper off after that. Or am I comically off base?

ZhugeEX

Banned
Thanks Zhuge. You mind if I ask another question?

Are you anticipating a price drop for both consoles? You think 299 for Sony is possible to offset the monster that Halo 5 will likely be?

Certainly a price drop. Whether it's in the form of a temporary deal or a permanent deal I expect the PS4 to be available under $399 and the Xbox One to be available under $349 this holiday.

Right now I'd say the PS4 will probably receive a price cut during Q3 2015 and I'm undecided whether it will be $50 or $100.

And just for clarification......basically you think 2016 will be a gangbusters year for both consoles, and it will taper off after that. Or am I comically off base?

Yup, taper off after 2016.

I'm expecting either 2015 or 2016 to be the peak year but leaning towards 2016.

But hey, i'm just basing this on what I think can happen. Things can change very quickly and I could be wrong.

You can like a shovelware title but it doesn't turn it into a good game.

This statement is inherently problematic, because there is no objective criteria for "a good game"other than someone enjoying it.

Which is the crux of the "casuals arent real gamers" argument really.

Fdkn

This statement is inherently problematic, because there is no objective criteria for "a good game"other than someone enjoying it.

Which is the crux of the "casuals arent real gamers" argument really.

I don't think so, its exactly the same as not liking a game knowing its good. I believe that is possible to appreciate the qualities of something regardless of your taste.

Thanks,

Here is a chart I made a while back. Basically I've foretasted 12 million sales this year in the USA across PS4/X1/Wii U. Although I'm wary that it may actually be slightly less than this projected total.

Annual1_zps5c8laroi.jpg
Perhaps I'm nitpicking, but if you're including the Wii U in Gen 8, shouldn't you include Dreamcast for Gen 6? It's actually tracking ahead of the Wii U still in NPD.

Is SEGA apart of the big 3, or have a console this gen?

His chart for Gen 6 starts with the PS2 in 2000 and Gen 8 with the Wii U in 2013. Why not start Gen 6 with the Dreamcast in 1999, especially when the Wii U has actually to date been tracking behind the Dreamcast? I feel it's a fair point. Moreover, he counts the Sega Saturn despite it also selling far less than the Dreamcast.

Note that we are talking purely about NPD figures here.

Read the bottom right hand corner of the chart please :p

Haha, guess you have your bases covered.

ZhugeEX

Banned
His chart for Gen 6 starts with the PS2 in 2000 and Gen 8 with the Wii U in 2013. Why not start Gen 6 with the Dreamcast in 1999, especially when the Wii U has actually to date been tracking behind the Dreamcast? I feel it's a fair point. Moreover, he counts the Sega Saturn despite it also selling far less than the Dreamcast.

Note that we are talking purely about NPD figures here.

Haha, guess you have your bases covered.

Haha,

I see your point.

But the reason I exclude it is because otherwise it would just mess things up.

2000 includes PS2, 2001 includes PS2, Xbox and GameCube
2005 includes 360, 2006 includes 360, Wii and PS3
2012 includes Wii U, 2013 includes Wii U, PS4 and One.

It just wouldn't make sense to start in 1999 and show sales for 4 consoles. Especially as the Dreamcast was discontinued. It just doesn't make a good comparison.

Haha,

I see your point.

But the reason I exclude it is because otherwise it would just mess things up.

2000 includes PS2, 2001 includes PS2, Xbox and GameCube
2005 includes 360, 2006 includes 360, Wii and PS3
2012 includes Wii U, 2013 includes Wii U, PS4 and One.

It just wouldn't make sense to start in 1999 and show sales for 4 consoles. Especially as the Dreamcast was discontinued. It just doesn't make a good comparison.

I understand there's no way to do a perfect comparison and I appreciate everyone here who adds this kind of data analysis to the discussion, but so much of how we choose to frame these figures seems to be done in a way to highlight a decline when in fact it would be just as easy to frame it in a more optimistic way. And no, I'm not dismissing or ignoring figures, my point is more that we sometimes ignore positive data points in discussion here and it leads to more doom and gloom than is warranted.

Sheeeeeeeeit

PS4 version of Advanced Warfare outselling both the Xbox One and 360 versions. Not sure if outsold them combined though.

It appears that Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare is one of those titles where the Xbox One version is stronger than the PS4 SKU.

There are only two months (including this one) where the PS4 version won. See the following:

November 2014 NPD:
360 > XBO > PS4 > PS3 > PC

December 2014 NPD:

Full Year 2014 NPD:

January 2015 NPD:
XBO > PS4 > 360 > PS3 > PC

February 2015 NPD:

March 2015 NPD:
PS4 > XBO > 360 > PS3 > PC

April 2015 NPD:

May 2015 NPD:
PS4 > 360 > XBO > PS3 > PC

ZhugeEX

Banned
I understand there's no way to do a perfect comparison and I appreciate everyone here who adds this kind of data analysis to the discussion, but so much of how we choose to frame these figures seems to be done in a way to highlight a decline when in fact it would be just as easy to frame it in a more optimistic way. And no, I'm not dismissing or ignoring figures, my point is more that we sometimes ignore positive data points in discussion here and it leads to more doom and gloom than is warranted.

I guess,

But on this chart all it would do is move gen 6 sales 1 year to the right and ultimately screw up any sort of comparison or general trend.

AniHawk

We are talking home console market...the handheld market is a different market is it not? No one was talking anything outside ps3, 360, ps4 x1 wii and wii -u.

i have been clear in talking about using two consoles in one region to extrapolate for the entirety of the dedicated hardware part of the industry is not accurate. my entire point was okay, maybe these two do well right here, but almost everything else is down generation over generation, in each major region. and that's not good.

sörine

Banned
Nobody ever said casuals were unique to the Wii. What's always said is that they were much more numerous in that system, and that's something hard to argue unless you want to rule out every evidence and how the system grew and collapsed afterwards.

Its safe to say that casuals are already present on current gen and their number will grow, but unless something unexpected happens the number of them will never be near the Wii era (and thats not only counting Wii owners, ps360 too), thats where the big contraction happened because they no longer need consoles to satisfy their needs
No, there are definitely people in this thread saying Wii was wholly unique and it's casual audience a total aberration. Language like "never existed before" was used to describe it's userbase if you dig back in the thread.

Also what evidence? Every Nielsen or NPD report we've seen regarding Wii's audience and household makeup tend to paint it as a relatively normal console in terms of player hours, attach rate or multiconsole ownership. The Nielsen figure I've seen most repeated was 70% of American Wii owners also had a PS2. Where are you getting that Wii was outside those norms?

70k for 4 days in selling 100k more after a year of being out is very little, especially since it was out near the holidays. point is 136k for 2 days is not impressive, it's ok at best, next month it could do anywhere from 50-100k nobody really knows.
I'm not sure what you're talking about but Bayonetta 2 isn't a year old yet. And beyond the fact that you were dead wrong on it's sustained sales, it also makes a terrible indicator for Splatoon for pretty obvious reasons.

I'd agree Splatoon's debut was just ok (at best or worst) though. Rankings from online retailers, as well as comparisons to foreign markets, seem to indicate it'll have decent legs though already. Repeating May sales in June isn't at all unlikely given the rankings, wom, genre, content rollout and other factors but we won't know for sure until it happens or not. See you in 30 days.

Opiate

Zhuge:

Excellent analysis, I agree on almost all points. I think VR is really the only thing that's even arguable, in that it hasn't happened yet. It's hard to argue against the effects of mobile, for instance, because they're already happening right now, as we speak.

VR also doesn't seem like a Wiimote or Eyetoy style "game changer" to me, either. I'd just say it's possible, though, because I'm very conservative about forecasting the future.

It appears that Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare is one of those titles where the Xbox One version is stronger than the PS4 SKU.

There are only two months (including this one) where the PS4 version won. See the following:

November 2014 NPD:

December 2014 NPD:

Full Year 2014 NPD:

January 2015 NPD:

February 2015 NPD:

March 2015 NPD:
PS4 > XBO > 360 > PS3 > PC

April 2015 NPD:

May 2015 NPD:
PS4 > 360 > XBO > PS3 > PC

Wow, really appreciate you providing this data. I think it reveals a lot. For example, of the only two months that PS4 version outsold XBO, they are only separated by the one outlier month in which XBO hardware outsold PS4 hardware. This, to me, suggests that it very well could have been three months in a row in which the PS4 version of Advanced Warfare would have outsold XBO's. And, in fact, I'm willing to draw the conclusion that sales of AW were as close between the two versions as the hardware numbers.

Now it's becoming very possible that even Activision senses a turning of the tides, and may be very interested in reassociating the CoD brand in line with PS4. It would only be a negative outlook for the franchise if CoD games continue to sell better on the less popular console, especially if due to a lack of effort in realigning console favoritism.

Again, thank you for providing the insight.

Reading Opiate's post history should be required to post in these threads. You'd come out slightly more depressed but way more knowledgeable about the game industry.

Mory Dunz

I'm personally relieved that the new IP wasn't DOA, like The Wonderful 101's abysmal USA debut.

They come from cryptic pie charts from Creamsugar, which represent the same three figures every month.

Creamsugar has full access to NPD data, so we extrapolate estimated hardware sales from them.

It sold twice as much as Devil Survivor: Overclocked did in its opening month.

So I imagine Atlus is quite happy. They're a niche publisher, after all.

Wii LTD in the USA was 41.8 million as of June 2014. I assume its sales have been very low since then, so I wouldn't go much higher than 42 million.
If we look at Pikmin 3's trajectory as a baseline, Splatoon will probably drop like ~60-65% between May and June.

If it doesn't hit 200K in June it will be just under 200K.

...Are you Aqua?

lol.

...no but really

Game Guru

Yes, low budget games that are quickly produced.
Just because one happens to be good doesn't stop it being a shovelware title.
Just like a game with a huge marketing campaign, extended development cycle and top-tier development studio that turns out to be shit doesn't stop that being an AAA game.

A healthy platform has plenty of shovelware because theres enough money floating around to support quick cash in titles. And I might personally roll my eyes at a title like Zombies vs Ambulances but someone out there will have enough fun with it to justify their buy price.

Shovelware represents gaming darwinism. It only exists in ecosystems healthy enough to support diversity of product.

Actually if you look at the market, most of the quickly produced low budget games of the PS2 and Wii that remained in the retail console market into this generation increased their actual quality. There is a world of difference between the Batman games that WB Games publish nowadays and the Batman games of the PS1 and PS2 eras. LEGO Star Wars began as a title that was basically shovelware, but yet it ended up being a surprise hit and later titles have gotten bigger budgets. A Lord of the Rings title back on the PS2 was likely not worth buying, but now Shadows of Mordor is one of WB Games' top titles of the generation. Even games like OneChanbara and Earth Defense Force increased their quality from their earlier versions on the PS2.

Most of the actual quickly produced low budget games currently coming out are the low quality digital titles, and this is mostly because low quality digital titles can be made for a lot less money and a lot more quickly than making a low quality PS2-era retail game. Retail shovelware like Ninjabread Man gave way to digital shovelware like Bad Rats because a game like Bad Rats is cheaper to make than a game like Ninjabread Man.

That chart perfectly demonstrates why gen 7 went on for so long and also how the industry is in a very clear contraction despite the PS4 and Xbox One doing well. The effects of mobile are undeniable and its not just because the 'Wii installbase went to mobile', I hate that narrative. This is on a much grander scale and is an industry wide trend.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
E3 shit total $&@! mad house this year ha. Totally missed this entire thread. How we doin boys?

Mario007

That chart perfectly demonstrates why gen 7 went on for so long and also how the industry is in a very clear contraction despite the PS4 and Xbox One doing well. The effects of mobile are undeniable and its not just because the 'Wii installbase went to mobile', I hate that narrative. This is on a much grander scale and is an industry wide trend.
You can hate the narrative all you want but you can't deny that the Wii audience is lost, with Wii U and Wii probably ending up having a 80 million console sold disparity when all is said and done. Sure maybe the audience didn't go to mobile but it's undoubtedly gone. Now add to that the fact that the Wii audience seemed to be very much a new audience to the console market and it puts the contraction into a different context. The kind of context that explained revenue in gaming industry having huge yoy declines after the bursts of guitar hero buble and all the high revenue driving accessory purchases that were simply not happening as the audience moved on.what we're seeing is more of correction from previous gen, which happens in every industry after it reaches its peak.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Divided between console market is dying or doing great.

Also in the dark about 3DS sales. Some light would be good.

Yeah, we need 3DS numbers, we lack them.

Also, as said earlier, personally I'd like updates on older games like Tomodachi, Sunset Overdrive, Pikmin 3...and I'm not even asking you Bayonetta 2 because of course you're going to post an update about it anyway, right? Rrright?!? :p

wachie

Question I had asked earlier in the thread, posting again.

Any predictions for Xbox One for this month? I feel with the permanent price cut and no significant promotion (yet), could it remain the same or go lower? Last June, the spike was due to the introduction of the Kinect less SKU at the lower price point.

Question I had asked earlier in the thread, posting again.

Any predictions for Xbox One for this month? I feel with the permanent price cut and no significant promotion (yet), could it remain the same or go lower? Last June, the spike was due to the introduction of the Kinect less SKU at the lower price point.

It did 139k this month if I'm not mistaken ?

It will probably do less then that this month

Wow, really appreciate you providing this data. I think it reveals a lot. For example, of the only two months that PS4 version outsold XBO, they are only separated by the one outlier month in which XBO hardware outsold PS4 hardware. This, to me, suggests that it very well could have been three months in a row in which the PS4 version of Advanced Warfare would have outsold XBO's. And, in fact, I'm willing to draw the conclusion that sales of AW were as close between the two versions as the hardware numbers.

Now it's becoming very possible that even Activision senses a turning of the tides, and may be very interested in reassociating the CoD brand in line with PS4. It would only be a negative outlook for the franchise if CoD games continue to sell better on the less popular console, especially if due to a lack of effort in realigning console favoritism.

Again, thank you for providing the insight.

Also, note how Advanced Warfare sold more on the Xbox 360 than either the PS4 or the XBO in November / December 2014.

That directly explains why Black Ops III is coming out on last-gen despite many other publishers abandoning it.

Again, June 2015 is a 5-week month, so Xbox One gets an extra week at retail in NPD tracking.

Historically, games / consoles sell better in June for that reason (and the fact that it's probably a stronger retail month). So it's hard for me to envision XBO declining from May.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Sony doesn't need to drop the price of the PS4 until next year's E3 which would be a full $100 price cut. Even if Sony loses in October, November and December, it's not going to matter and here's why -

Uncharted 4 in March 2016 and Street Fighter V in April 2016. Those two games alone will sell the PS4 at $400 plus im fully expecting an Uncharted 4 console bundle. Whatever margin of victory that Microsoft wins by in the last three months of 2015, Sony will match it in those two months alone so when you think about it, Sony has no reason to lower the price of the PS4.

100% it won't happen Monday at E3 because of the Batman bundles. No way in hell is Sony going to refund everyone who's already pre-ordered either of those two bundles. Not expecting the 1TB console to be announced either until that show they're appearing at instead of Gamescom.

Rumors have it that Sony will have a 1TB exclusives game console bundle for the holidays this year which is basically what Europe already has or will be getting soon. The bundle would include the 1TB hard drive and five games, all via digital downloads - Knack, Killzone, Infamous, The Order: 1886 and Bloodborne. You can argue that Bloodborne will be better than Forza, Halo 5 and ROTTR.

Forza is good but it was outsold by the clusterfuck known as DriveClub. Halo 5 is their franchise but it's not Bungie developing the franchise anymore and after what happened with Halo: MCC, even the most hardcore Halo fans have to be concerned in regards to 343 does with Halo 5. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Rise of the Tomb Raider sells more than either of the previously mentioned to games from Microsoft. And it being a timed exclusive will most likely prove to be a better move for PS4 fans as they would most likely get a complete or all DLC included bonus due to the wait.

Sony isn't Sega and this isn't 1995. No reason whatsoever for Sony to reduce the price of the PS4 period. Even when Microsoft won April, Sony got it right back in May. June is expected to go to Sony due to the two Batman bundles and depending on how may of them sell, even if Microsoft wins July and August, it may still not even equal let alone surpass what PS4 sells in June. September will belong to PS4 as im fully expecting a PS4 MGSV bundle announcement Monday at E3.

On a side note - if anyone has the console sales figures for Xbox One and PS4 from September, October, November and December 2014 and can post it, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

wachie

Again, June 2015 is a 5-week month, so Xbox One gets an extra week at retail in NPD tracking.

Historically, games / consoles sell better in June for that reason (and the fact that it's probably a stronger retail month). So it's hard for me to envision XBO declining from May.
So a YOY decline and a MOM decline (per-week basis) likely.

Javin98

Banned
LOL, this thread slowed down significantly. There were, like 10 pages, overnight and now it's hardly moving.

I highly doubt this. The XB1 will most likely do better in June because of the five weeks tracking period and Batman Arkham Knight. But I expect the gap between the two to be much bigger in June.

Vena

Nintendo is the #2 software publisher YTD btw...

Did some looking at their published titles list for 2015.

On the 3DS we have:
  1. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D (Great Success!)
  2. Code Name: S.T.E.A.M. (Bomba!)
  3. Fossil Fighters: Frontier (???)
  4. Puzzle & Dragons Z + Super Mario Bros. Edition (Bomba!)
  5. Xenoblade Chronicles 3D (Okay!)

And on WiiU we have:
  1. Kirby and the Rainbow Curse (Okay!)
  2. Mario Party 10 (Okay!)
  3. Splatoon (Okay!)

I'd assume MK8 and Smash are continuing on as evergreens (Smash is still charting from time to time) with decent sales month to month. But having some general idea of the numbers of sales of the listed titles... is everyone else (as in publishers) just not finding their usual successes just yet? Simply from the absence of W_D/Destiny types of sales figures which could be skewing Nintendo's position upwards. I'd wonder where Sony sits with the Order's collapse and failure, as Bloodborne and MLB are their only published titles with any modicum of success as far as I am aware so far this year. Has Microsoft published anything?

I'm going to dig back a few months in NPDs for the year and see what was released by what other publishers.

Edit: Looking back, no wonder WB is so dominant right now. Wow, they've released the bulk of the major titles.

T-0800

You can hate the narrative all you want but you can't deny that the Wii audience is lost, with Wii U and Wii probably ending up having a 80 million console sold disparity when all is said and done. Sure maybe the audience didn't go to mobile but it's undoubtedly gone. Now add to that the fact that the Wii audience seemed to be very much a new audience to the console market and it puts the contraction into a different context. The kind of context that explained revenue in gaming industry having huge yoy declines after the bursts of guitar hero buble and all the high revenue driving accessory purchases that were simply not happening as the audience moved on.what we're seeing is more of correction from previous gen, which happens in every industry after it reaches its peak.

I know people don't like to hear but every Wii owner I've had around to my house has never heard of the Wii U. 'That's the Wii U' I say pointing to it and without fail every single one has never heard of it.

Not

Banned
I know people don't like to hear but every Wii owner I've had around to my house has never heard of the Wii U. 'That's the Wii U' I say pointing to it and without fail every single one has never heard of it.

It's the truth. Wii U never even cracked household name status. Pretty sad.

Game Guru

Did some looking at their published titles list for 2015.

On the 3DS we have:
  1. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D (Great Success!)
  2. Code Name: S.T.E.A.M. (Bomba!)
  3. Fossil Fighters: Frontier (???)
  4. Puzzle & Dragons Z + Super Mario Bros. Edition (Bomba!)
  5. Xenoblade Chronicles 3D (Okay!)

And on WiiU we have:
  1. Kirby and the Rainbow Curse (Okay!)
  2. Mario Party 10 (Okay!)
  3. Splatoon (Okay!)

I'd assume MK8 and Smash are continuing on as evergreens (Smash is still charting from time to time) with decent sales month to month. But having some general idea of the numbers of sales of the listed titles... is everyone else (as in publishers) just not finding their usual successes just yet? Simply from the absence of W_D/Destiny types of sales figures which could be skewing Nintendo's position upwards. I'd wonder where Sony sits with the Order's collapse and failure, as Bloodborne and MLB are their only published titles with any modicum of success as far as I am aware so far this year. Has Microsoft published anything?

I'm going to dig back a few months in NPDs for the year and see what was released by what other publishers.

Edit: Looking back, no wonder WB is so dominant right now. Wow, they've released the bulk of the major titles.

Mostly it's because not very many publishers are releasing titles and that Nintendo is almost always near the top most years because of their evergreen titles like Mario Kart and Smash Bros. Despite the success or failure of their consoles, Nintendo is always a top publisher in the industry even if not at the top.

Top Bottom