• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for May 2015

RedAssedApe

Banned
seeing witcher pc sales in the other thread...i could see there being a big drop off between witcher and everything else on the list

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
seeing witcher pc sales in the other thread...i could see there being a big drop off between witcher and everything else on the list

Wouldn't be surprised if Witcher outsold 2 through 10 combined pretty easily.

Impossible to know what the Splatoon sales are but being lower than physical Minecraft isn't a great sign.

ZhugeEX

Banned
It'd be better to aggregate the generational sales, wouldn't it? The NPD revenue trends look at the industry, not at the individual players.

I've already done this. Here are LTD sales for each console generation in the USA-

Gen 4 - 40 million
Gen 5 - 50 million
Gen 6 - 76 million
Gen 7 - 111 million

Gen 8 - >17 million as of May 2015

Gen 8 is currently tracking (when launches are aligned) more than 10% behind Gen 7 cumulative total.

Numbers are estimated and rounded.

allan-bh

Ok, fine. I'm wrong. But to sit there and say console sales are awful when the combined user base of PS4/X1 is 55% higher than PS3/360 is straight up disingenuous.

But, think what you will, I suppose.

Current gen consoles sales are not very good right now on US. Combined user base is because record launch and algo this ignore Wii.

Why not compare combined 360/PS3/Wii with XBO/PS4/Wii U ?

I still don't fully understand the XBO win in April. Anyone want to walk me through that? I must've been under a rock. Was there a temporary price cut or bundle?

balgajo

I was hyped about Splatoon because of Japan sales but now I disappointed. Considering that those are the sales of the best weekend and looking at the games below Slatoon I'm not feeling it.

Ok, fine. I'm wrong. But to sit there and say console sales are awful when the combined user base of PS4/X1 is 55% higher than PS3/360 is straight up disingenuous.

The market for video games was bigger than Xbox 360 and PS3 last gen, and it's bigger than PS4 and Xbox One this gen. And I'm not just talking about Wii and Wii U - I'm talking about the abysmal declines in the handheld space, and the fact that the market for legacy platforms seems to have vanished (despite past market leaders flourishing well into the following generations).

Boke1879

Thing about that is Splatoon numbers are apparently not that far off Mario Kart 8 so I'm not sure that makes a huge difference. Again, we don't have apples to apples here, but I don't know why people are trying to explain away a huge drop in software like it's not an issue.

I mean, who the hell buys a baseball game in May, though?

You have 2 new releases last month. Splatoon. It's on the Wii U. Sales may be impressive but it's not going to do much after that. Witcher 3. WW the game has sold VERY well. But this is the biggest debut of said franchise.

Last May you had Watch Dogs which did ungodly and then you had MK8.

Really you have witcher 3 and splatoon and old games making up the list. They won't do what those two games did last May.

People should compare more years than single months to past gen. Sales are more and more concentrating to holidays and around tentpole releases. With expected price cut PS4 will absolutely crush PS3s 2008 sales for the whole year.

The market for video games was bigger than Xbox 360 and PS3 last gen, and it's bigger than PS4 and Xbox One this gen. And I'm not just talking about Wii and Wii U - I'm talking about the abysmal declines in the handheld space, and the fact that the market for legacy platforms seems to have vanished (despite past market leaders flourishing well into the following generations).

Previous market leaders were far younger when the next generation launched than X360 and PS3. If you align just by years both PS3 and X360 had pretty abnormal late gen sales (bigger than even allmighty PS2).

Mikey Jr.

Wait until actual numbers are released before making claims.
The same thing happened last month with the XB1 "beating" the PS4 then later we see that it was a marginal difference in sales.

This is true.

However, by looking at software ranking, I'm going to say ps4 outsold xb1 by way more than 13k.

Kriken

Heads up, NPD doesn't track digital sales, so the steam/GOG numbers are basically pointless in determining what the number is here

I still don't fully understand the XBO win in April. Anyone want to walk me through that? I must've been under a rock. Was there a temporary price cut or bundle?

Easy: There was the Gamestop Trade-in deal last month for the XBO. And so, the XBO barely won. Now everything is back to normal again = PS4 winning

Ty4on

Edit: ^^^ I don't see why you'd predict the opposite if it were that easy...
The XB1 is outselling the 360 as well. The only difference is Nintendo underperforming.

The main reason is that the 360 was so supply constrained at launch it did really low holiday numbers.

lol

Some people can't accept the fact that Splatoon actually seems to be doing well worldwide. It's a single SKU at #5 with two days of sales tracking. Two. Days.

Also, Wii U is a much healthier platform in NA than it is in Japan.

No it's not. Population wise is the only reason Wii u sometimes is higher HW sales wise, the equality has Japan ahead, and Software is atrocious in NA/.

Also your first sentence is completely dumb because I said it was doing well in japan so how can you make a statement of "Some people can't accept the fact?" Especially since not only I said it did well in a country outside this one, but also you have no numbers/

Wonder if Sony will give a total update at E3. I think its likely. I also wonder if they'll mention this month's NPDs or maybe the past year since E3. All but 3 of the months went to Sony, right? November, December, and April were won by XBOX.

Current gen consoles sales are not very good right now on US. Combined user base is because record launch and algo this ignore Wii.

Why not compare combined 360/PS3/Wii with XBO/PS4/Wii U ?

Wii contraction is no longer a factor. The market lost that crowd years ago. Sales of both PS4 and X1 stateside are well up on their predecessors.

People should compare more years than single months to past gen. Sales are more and more concentrating to holidays and around tentpole releases. With expected price cut PS4 will absolutely crush PS3s 2008 sales for the whole year.

Next month will be big for PS4 as well, I'd say. Wonder how much that Arkham bundle will do.

jholmes

You have 2 new releases last month. Splatoon. It's on the Wii U. Sales may be impressive but it's not going to do much after that. Witcher 3. WW the game has sold VERY well. But this is the biggest debut of said franchise.

Last May you had Watch Dogs which did ungodly and then you had MK8.

Really you have witcher 3 and splatoon and old games making up the list. They won't do what those two games did last May.

Even if I agreed with this point there's still the fact that companies aren't releasing the sort of titles that were released a year ago, and consumers aren't choosing to buy something else in lieu of, say, this year's equivalent of Watch Dogs. It still points to a big problem.

Jamix012

The XB1 is outselling the 360 as well. The only difference is Nintendo underperforming.

If you think it'll hit 2/3rds of X360 LTD worldwide you're pretty out there.

Wii contraction is no longer a factor. The market lost that crowd years ago. Sales of both PS4 and X1 stateside are well up on their predecessors.

But only because they were so front loaded compared to the much steadier stream of sales last gen had. The trend is for them to cross paths with their last gen cousins eventually. The PS4 may just escape that fate if it's a long gen but otherwise...

noshten

I bought Splatoon digital so I guess I don't count in this
Still brilliant performance for a few days. I expect a 250-300k sold in that period physical.

Witcher was expected, I ordered that game as soon as they announced it - first and pretty much only pre-order I've ever done. So happy about them

Top Bottom