• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for May 2015

For 2 days? I think so.

I guess we just have different opinions. I'm not trying to say Splatoon did bad at all, but I just cant relate to the hype in here over a number like that. I doubt Nintendo had huge expectations around sales numbers anyways and I'm sure it'll be considered a success internally.

Cotrip

Never imagined that Splatoon would rank this well. That's surprising.

Despite it's lack of content, It's good to see new IP's selling.

Why are people so shocked about MLB charting?
It's always been a big franchise & on the PS4 the graphics are jaw dropping!.
Easily one of the best games of the year imo.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
All right, I don't think Nintendo is giving out a PR so I'll be heading out for a while.

If they release one, please PM a mod like stump or xander, or I'll update the OP in a few hours.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
lack of Nintendo PR eh

probably says something about hardware sales

Today, they already shared a PR about 3DS hitting 15 millions (by using their own numers, given the time they released it), it's possible they won't feel it's necessary to issue another one...gaaaaah :(

You're right, but that was an across-the-board miscalculation--year 1.5 is also supposed to see YOY growth.

Since when? I believe PS3 sold less it's second May. And the number was somewhere around 55k if memory serves.

But throw all that aside. Using PS4 as the model, worldwide sales are close to 23 million the first 18 months as opposed to the PS3's roughly 10-11million over the same time period.

RIP consoles. It was a good run.

NotLiquid

Quoting this for the new page since it seems like there was some news about Splatoon's performance.

According to the head of Nintendo Canada, Splatoon's pre-order numbers almost matched Mario Kart 8 and that first weekend sales were roughly half of MK8. According to them, they consider this an "extraordinary" result.
http://www.gamnesia.com/news/nintendo-says-splatoons-sales-are-extraordinary#.VXoRH_mqp9Z

Our presale numbers were amazing, close to Mario Kart 8 numbers a year ago, which is amazing because Mario Kart is an established franchise. Splatoon’s challenge is that a few months ago, nobody had ever heard of it.

I love that as a dad it’s something I can play with my seven-year-old. It’s a complete revolution on what a shooter can be.

We’re looking at first weekend sales of about half of where Mario Kart 8 was. Given that Mario Kart 8 was one of the best-selling games last year, that’s extraordinary for a brand new IP like this. — Pierre-Paul Trepanier

Not sure this is new-thread worthy but this should give us some insight over how well the game did.

damisa

PS3 was pulling FAR worse numbers than that at this point in its life. 360 wasn't much better. It's May early in a consoles life. Slow sales are to be expected.

Actually you're terribly wrong.
Second May sales:
Wii 675K
PS2 524K
PS3 209K
XB1 139K

PS3 was not doing far worse, it outsold XB1 by nearly 50%

This. The annual "consoles are doomed" stuff is tiresome. People must not remember PS3 sales the first two years.

Looks like you are the one misremembering. Console sales are awful right now.

That's even more impressive.
For a new IP, on a "dead" console 0_0

It may be new IP but was marketed like MK8 levels and there are not many games being released at retail for Wii U every month. Still its great but lets see the legs and absolute numbers as this month seems like very slow in softwares sales overall.

Since when? I believe PS3 sold less it's second May. And the number was somewhere around 55k if memory serves.

May 2007
Wii - 338,000
PS3 - 82,000
360 - 155,000

May 2008
Wii - 675,000
PS3 - 208,000
360 - 186,000

edit: I also totally forgot about PS2 having an incredible presence while our last-gen consoles died terrible deaths

But throw all that aside. Using PS4 as the model, worldwide sales are close to 23 million the first 18 months as opposed to the PS3's roughly 10-11million over the same time period.

PS4 cannibalizing the markets for other platforms =/= industry growth.

ZhugeEX

Banned

See link below for worldwide sales comparison.

http://i481.photobucket.com/albums/rr180/jabbamk1/1111111_zpsm63izlyl.jpg

And no, second May was considerably higher for PS3. First year sales for PS3 were horrible.

jayu26

Okay people stop. Slaptoon is only on Wii U and only two days of sales counted. It's a new Ip. 150k to 200k would be fucking amazing.

Boke1879

Can you imagine later in the year. Console sales really pick up. Halo, Forza, Batman, Metal Gear, Uncharted collection Until dawn, Persona 5. So many things to pay that appeal to a lot of different people.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Second May sales:
Wii 675K
PS2 524K
PS3 209K
XB1 139K

...I fear there are chances PS4 sales are lower than PS3 as well. In the sense: I don't see it doing 200k, given last month's sales.

VanWinkle

Very surprised to see MLB on there. It must've been a really slow month for software. I wonder if TW3 broke a million in the U.S.

What, why? It always charts every year, and usually higher than this one did.

Edit: oh, it's been out for a few months. Yeah, I mean, it's usually on there for a couple months every year, but I see your point now.

Honestly. Slow month or not.
With just 2 or 3 days of sales. I actually feared Splatoon would not chart at all.
Nice to see it did. Still. I'll wait for numbers.

ascii42

Second May sales:
Wii 675K
PS2 524K
PS3 209K
XB1 139K

Well, I mean, that was when Haze came out on PS3 so it's no surprise it did well that month.

I bought Haze

jholmes

I think people truly believe when software is down they think no one is buying games. That's not true. Sometimes you're just not going to match what was sold a year ago. Especially when it was a huge month with Watch Dogs and MK8.

Thing about that is Splatoon numbers are apparently not that far off Mario Kart 8 so I'm not sure that makes a huge difference. Again, we don't have apples to apples here, but I don't know why people are trying to explain away a huge drop in software like it's not an issue.

Why are people so shocked about MLB charting?
It's always been a big franchise & on the PS4 the graphics are jaw dropping!.
Easily one of the best games of the year imo.

I mean, who the hell buys a baseball game in May, though?

Second May sales:
Wii 675K
PS2 524K
PS3 209K
XB1 139K

Ok, fine. I'm wrong. But to sit there and say console sales are awful when the combined user base of PS4/X1 is 55% higher than PS3/360 is straight up disingenuous.

But, think what you will, I suppose.

Top Bottom