• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for November 2009

legend166 said:
I don't know why people are suprised at the relatively low sales of the PS3 1st party titles as compared to MS/Nintendo.

You're completely right, although I'd say that most people discussing it in this thread are doing so in order to reinforce a point about the PS3, not the other way around.

Barrett2

Is 40,000 really all that bad for LBP PSP? Its currently the #1 downloaded game on PSN, so it has to be moving at a good clip with DD sales. And at this point I would think PSP game development isn't very expensive to begin with.

legend166

lawblob said:
Is 40,000 really all that bad for LBP PSP? Its currently the #1 downloaded game on PSN, so it has to be moving at a good clip with DD sales. And at this point I would think PSP game development isn't very expensive to begin with.

I really don't think DD accounts for much sales, at least on consoles. Steam has been established for 5 years and still struggles to match retail for its big games.

Look at the example given above, Persona Portable DD sales being 10% of retail sales in Japan.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
legend166 said:
I don't know why people are suprised at the relatively low sales of the PS3 1st party titles as compared to MS/Nintendo.

But didn't Gears 1 sell a million flat in it's first NPD month to a 360 user base of just 5 million or so ? That game was a new IP at the time too, and the only thing it had was marketing and buzz.

legend166

chandoog said:
But didn't Gears 1 sell a million flat in it's first NPD month to a 360 user base of just 5 million or so ? That game was a new IP at the time too, and the only thing it had was marketing and buzz.

A new IP on what was at the time the highest selling next-gen console early in its life. It's always easier to establish IPs earlier on in the gen.

Dennis

Banned
It is very nice too see Assassins Creed 2 doing so well. The way they have recreated Renaissance Italy, and massively improved the gameplay is commendable.

I hope that word of mouth will give this a massive boost as people hear that Ubisoft really listened to the criticsm of the first one.

legend166 said:
A new IP on what was at the time the highest selling next-gen console early in its life. It's always easier to establish IPs earlier on in the gen.

I'd just say it was the right game at the right time. Looked amazing, had a new and interesting concept, and was scoring very well. It really set the tone of this generation being all about high profile, great looking shooters.

Sony titles are all slow burners, yet they all eventually creep into the multi-million range

Shit, even God of War and Gran Turismo are that way.

You guys have bloated expectations. Few franchises are day 1 million sellers, heck even on PS2 the only one you'd really say could claim that was Grand Theft Auto.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Let's face it, you can put a disc shaped piece of shit in a game case and it will sell on the 360 (That's what army of two proves).

Sadly, Uncharted 2 is not high on PS3 owners lists, seeing as that it was triple outsold by MW2, :/ it did have a higher first month than MW1 and WaW which is nice, but I think it could have done better...

On another note, it should be close to outselling Uncharted 1 LTD, and I believe it can sell a million in America over time (It should already be around 600-650k right?) which shoul be good, but still...

:(

DMeisterJ said:
Let's face it, you can put a disc shaped piece of shit in a game case and it will sell on the 360 (That's what army of two proves).

Sadly, Uncharted 2 is not high on PS3 owners lists, seeing as that it was triple outsold by MW2, :/ it did have a higher first month than MW1 and WaW which is nice, but I think it could have done better...

On another note, it should be close to outselling Uncharted 1 LTD, and I believe it can sell a million in America over time (It should already be around 600-650k right?) which shoul be good, but still...

That would be true, however Army of Two was actually a good game.

Road

Concept17 said:
Curious. What are the hardware numbers for US+Japan in November?
Same four weeks. Nov. 2-29 in Japan (Media-Create) + Nov. 1-28 in the US (NPD):
Code:
	  TOTAL			   US			  JAPAN

NDS	2,031,000	=	1,700,000	+	 331,000 
PSP	  466,900	=	  293,900	+	 173,000 
WII	1,398,000	=	1,260,000	+	 138,000 
PS3	  879,400	=	  710,400	+	 169,000 
360	  836,500	=	  819,500	+	  17,000 
PS2	  211,100	=	  203,100	+	   8,000

Polk

TheHeretic said:
I'd just say it was the right game at the right time. Looked amazing, had a new and interesting concept, and was scoring very well. It really set the tone of this generation being all about high profile, great looking shooters.
You're talking about Gears or Uncharted 1, beacuse I'm lost.

Kinan

Road said:
Code:
	  TOTAL			   US			  JAPAN

Wow, thats really put market sizes into perspective. Wii selling in US over 9x of its Japan numbers. oO For comparison other US/Japan ratios:

NDS 5,14
PSP 1.7
Wii 9.13
PS3 4.2
360 48.2
PS2 25,36

Overall HW market ratio : 5.94

One can argue that only NDS and PS3 are equally popular in both countries. Everything else is skewed in one way or another.

Road

Known sales:

001 (360) CALL OF DUTY: MODERN WARFARE 2* - 4,200,000
002 (PS3) CALL OF DUTY: MODERN WARFARE 2* - 1,870,000
003 (WII) NEW SUPER MARIO BROS. WII - 1,390,000
004 (360) ASSASSIN'S CREED II - 794,700
005 (360) LEFT 4 DEAD 2 - 744,000
006 (WII) WII SPORTS RESORT* - 720,200
007 (WII) WII FIT PLUS* - 679,000
008 (PS3) ASSASSIN'S CREED II - 448,400
009 (360) DRAGON AGE: ORIGINS* - 362,100
010 (WII) MARIO KART W/ WHEEL - 315,000
011 (WII) WII PLAY (WITH REMOTE)
012 (WII) MARIO & SONIC WINTER OLYMPICS
013 (WII) VALUE GAME BUNDLE $19.99
014 (NDS) MARIO & LUIGI: BOWSER INSIDE STORY
015 (PS3) DRAGON AGE: ORIGINS* - 189,000
016 (NDS) VALUE GAME BUNDLE $14.99
017 (PS3) GOD OF WAR I & II COLLECTIOIN
018 (360) HALO 3: ODST
019 (360) BODERLANDS
020 (360) MADDEN NFL 10

034 ? ?? - > 100,000
035 ? ?? - < 100,000

xxx (WII) CALL OF DUTY: MODERN WARFARE: REFLEX - 72,000 ~ 90,000
xxx (WII) TONY HAWK: RIDE FACE PLANTS - 67,000
xxx (WII) RABBIDS GO HOME - 42,000 ~ 72,000
107 (PSP) LITTLEBIGPLANET - 42,000
xxx (WII) RESIDENT EVIL: THE DARKSIDE CHRONICLES - 9,000 ~ 42,000
xxx (360) TONY HAWK: RIDE FACE PLANTS - 30,000
xxx (PS3) TONY HAWK: RIDE FACE PLANTS - 16,000

xxx (ALL) DJ HERO - 211,000

"90k > Reflex > Rabbids Go Home > LittleBigPlanet PSP > Darkside Chronicles > Extraction (LTD)"

Unconfirmed:
150 (PSP) ASSASSIN'S CREED: BLOODLINES - 30,000

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
I love how some people in this thread basically say: "... and I have both consoles, so I have permission to troll them".

Value game bundle is a game??? :lol

We will see if Wii Play can crack the top ten in December and continue to shatter the "number of weeks in top ten" record.

Nice sales for Bowser.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I thought the UC2 ad here in the US was pretty effective, it was positioned as an action title to the average consumer. Those people don't think "oh hey, it looks like Tomb Raider" or "Its the PS3 Gears of War" they thought "oh damn, its got guns, helicopters, trains and explosions, cool" and the game sold 1/2 million copies the 1st month. I saw the UC2 ad in October a bunch. You know how many times I saw it or any Uncharted ad in November? 0. But there were a ton of ads for AC2, MW2 even Dragon Age. I saw more Sony ads for LBP PSP in November than I did for Uncharted 2. For the casual gaming public, out of sight, out of mind. I think it will do fine in December, but Sony should have continued to push the title especially during BF week. That was stupid of them not to.

kswiston

Kentpaul said:
seems like if a dev wants to get in good sales it will release the game for the 360

Unless the Dev is making a family oriented game. Or a Jrpg. Or anything that appeals to demographics outside the 12-35 year old western male. Your strategy mainly works if the game involves shooting and/or slicing things.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
truly101 said:
Its budget/shovelware of 101 games on one Wii disc. Saw it on QVC last nigh as part of a Wii bundle.

Is it 101-in-1 Party Megamix? Is Atlus actually making money off shovelware? :lol

Polk

kswiston said:
Unless the Dev is making a family oriented game. Or a Jrpg. Or anything that appeals to demographics outside the 12-35 year old western male. Your strategy mainly works if the game involves shooting and/or slicing things.
TBH noone is buying lot of jRPGs unless the title includes Pokemon or Final Fantasy.

Tntnnbltn

kswiston said:
Your strategy mainly works if the game involves shooting and/or slicing things.
f4qjaq.jpg

TheOddOne

kswiston said:
So all devs must make Kiddy games and Jrpg? Yeah, thats how you recuperate your losses!

Concept17

Road said:
Code:
	  TOTAL			   US			  JAPAN

cool, thanks

DMeisterJ said:

I don't get the unrealistic expectations for Uncharted. MW2 also outsold the nearest 360 game 6x over for the month.

There was a reason many publishers pushed their high-profile titles into Q1, and it sure as hell wasn't to duck Uncharted.

Selling 600-800k in a launch holiday window in the US is nothing to scoff at, it's in the same range as Mass Effect and Bioshock, and probably the most you can expect if your game a) isn't 30 hours long and b) isn't being purchased for multiplayer.

I doubt it would have outsold AC2 or L4D2 this month had it been released for 360 in the same period.

Rolf NB

Regulus Tera said:
Goddammit seriously? Crisis Core is one of the worst FF spin-offs I've played, while Dissidia is one of the best.

Funny how that goes. To me they're both pure nonsense. I couldn't "play" either. I pop in Crisis Core when I have to waste some time away.

My god, Value game bundle :lol

That's just too funny. Oh and DS is just shitting on everybody, DS2 will be the biggest hardware launch of all time (unless Nintendo pulls a go).

ShockingAlberto said:
Is Value Game Bundle an actual game or one of those things like a Red Steel/NMH 2-pack?
Both.

JGS

Banned
mysticstylez said:
That would be true, however Army of Two was actually a good game.

For some reason I was under the impression many games except the heavily marketed fail on 360- just like most marketing endeavors.

EDIT- Ironically, the exceptions would be Microsoft published games which, although marketed, don't do as well outside of the Halo brand...maybe the first month of Forza series.

As an aside, Uncharted 2 was not marketed that much except in connection with the overall latest PS3 campaign (It does...everything). That doesn't have anything to do with how good of a trailer they have. The trailer would not be effective if it wasn't everywhere it need to be.

RBH

JGS said:
For some reason I was under the impression many games except the heavily marketed fail on 360- just like most marketing endeavors.

EDIT- Ironically, the exceptions would be Microsoft published games which, although marketed, don't do as well outside of the Halo brand...maybe the first month of Forza series.

As an aside, Uncharted 2 was not marketed that much except in connection with the overall latest PS3 campaign (It does...everything). That doesn't have anything to do with how good of a trailer they have. The trailer would not be effective if it wasn't everywhere it need to be.

Disagreed.

I saw the stand-alone Uncharted 2 commercial on TV many times:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaVsmnpEtE0

DMeisterJ said:

I though JoshuaJSlone put this BS to rest last month. He posted data that shows 360 owners buy games at virtually the exact same rate as owners of the other consoles. I believe the number was 1 game per month per owner, for all 3 systems...I'll have to look, or maybe he'll show up and post it again. But whatever the number was, it was the same for all 3. It only looks like 360 owners buy more because of the limited data we get, and because there's such a hive mind phenomenon going on there, with so many owners buying the same games at the same time.

(WII) RESIDENT EVIL: THE DARKSIDE CHRONICLES - 9,000 ~ 42,000

I actually think this one will have legs, but Capcom, has to make you question some things....

Why the F isn't there a follow up to Resident Evil 4 Wii on the system ? Geez.

FrankT

Leondexter said:
I though JoshuaJSlone put this BS to rest last month. He posted data that shows 360 owners buy games at virtually the exact same rate as owners of the other consoles. I believe the number was 1 game per month per owner, for all 3 systems...I'll have to look, or maybe he'll show up and post it again. But whatever the number was, it was the same for all 3. It only looks like 360 owners buy more because of the limited data we get, and because there's such a hive mind phenomenon going on there, with so many owners buying the same games at the same time.

It's not that in relation to the others they buy more it's the fact there is way more HW out there compared to the PS3. Attach ratios or not that means much more SW sold bottom line. MS has taken 3rd party SW sales every single month this year while the Wii squeaked out the overall win last year, but this year has not been as great for Wii 3rd party I believe (pretty sure they took Nov last year).

Jonsoncao

Banned
even me an xbot bought Uncharted 2 :lol

there is no excuse for UC2 MIA in top 20 tbh

but tbh the online multiplayer sux ass, Gears2's MP(which is already very shitty IMO) is much more enjoyable than UC2, dunno how this game managed to get a higher score than MW2; Also they really need to fix the stupid friends invite system in PSN infrastructure, too complicated and slow

NeonZ

(WII) RESIDENT EVIL: THE DARKSIDE CHRONICLES - 9,000 ~ 42,000

Not very surprised and I'm actually satisfied by this.

I haven't played this sequel yet, actually, but the 1st one was a fairly mediocre game (the only significant point was game length for a rail-shooter) that must have sold only due to the RE brand name.

kswiston

TheOddOne said:
So all devs must make Kiddy games and Jrpg? Yeah, thats how you recuperate your losses!

Never said that. I simply wanted to point out that not everything sells great on 360. Jrpgs are better off on the DS, and Family titles are better off on the Wii for instance. Multiplayer shooters can do well as 360 exclusives, but most other genres (WRPGs, Fighters, Japanese-style action games, Sports titles, etc) are best off as multiplat on 360/PS3.

feel

Jonsoncao said:
but tbh the online multiplayer sux ass, Gears2's MP(which is already very shitty IMO) is much more enjoyable than UC2
Why? I didn't bother playing the multiplayer of uncharted 2 for more than a couple of matches, since it's not for me (l4d/halo is my flavor), but it seemed pretty well done for what it was.

TheKingsCrown said:
I actually think this one will have legs, but Capcom, has to make you question some things....

Why the F isn't there a follow up to Resident Evil 4 Wii on the system ? Geez.

Yep. Pretty much.

If they put the resources they had put in RE:DC into a new mainline RE in the Wii, it would have sold gangbusters.
Now, I bought RE:DC and I loved the game... but the fanbase is just BEGGING for more a RE4 experience. Oh Capcom :/

gkryhewy

kswiston said:
Never said that. I simply wanted to point out that not everything sells great on 360. Jrpgs are better off on the DS, and Family titles are better off on the Wii for instance. Multiplayer shooters can do well as 360 exclusives, but most other genres (WRPGs, Fighters, Japanese-style action games, Sports titles, etc) are best off as multiplat on 360/PS3.

No one said anything about 360 exclusivity - just a 360 version.

stupei

RBH said:
Disagreed.

I saw the stand-alone Uncharted 2 commercial on TV many times:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaVsmnpEtE0

That ad is kind of terrible at promoting the game. All it does is make a certain type of gamer (who obviously has already purchased this game) think about how sweet the graphics are. Most of everyone else hears "she couldn't even tell I was playing a game!" and probably doesn't think, "wow, a game that seems totally not interactive to the casual viewer, shit that is going to be a ton of fun to play!"

Honestly, that ad campaign is pretty good but the focus on games isn't nearly as good as GAF keeps pretending. The montage commercial, for example, is pretty awful in that it only focuses on the same few games over and over, somehow leaving you with the impression that there isn't actually a lot to buy on the PS3. It's just bizarre. I actually thought that brief series of "Ladies and Gentlemen" ads they went with for a while were much better at focusing on the games.

Top Bottom