• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results For November 2016

No game had FF-like drop in Japan until now... why RE7 and KH3 will have? You forget DQXI releases next year too.

I'm accounting with PS3 holidays and FFXIII... PS4 will be ahead yet.

I keep reading that but if you compare the big hits in Japan the drop was small (MGSV) or even increased in sales compared with previous games (P5, Pokémon).

FFXV was the exception in a bad way.

The reality shock will hit you hard next year.

synce

So FF15 flopped, no surprise there. It goes to show you that even if you try selling a spin-off as a mainline title you'll still pull spin-off numbers. I mean up until 15 I've never skipped a main, offline-based FF. What they're selling right now is not the real FF and it's reflected in the numbers I think.

Welfare

Final Fantasy XV is the biggest game PS4 will get in Japan. 2017 offerings won't match this year, unless you can come up with a game that would boost PS4 sales over 100K in a single week.

allan-bh

Final Fantasy XV is the biggest game PS4 will get in Japan. 2017 offerings won't match this year, unless you can come up with a game that would boost PS4 sales over 100K in a single week.

Dragon Quest XI is bigger, but maybe will not help much the PS4 because of 3DS/Switch.

kswiston

Which PS3 biggest franchises are down? Can you post some... I asked because in FFXV Japan launch threats people said that but couldn't show examples and after comparing most titles did the opposite.

Yakuza 5 was at 450k after 2 weeks. Yakuza 6 is at a little over 250k after 2 weeks going by Famitsu numbers.

You're oddly confident about this. How will PS4 stay ahead? What numbers are you expecting in the upcoming weeks where the PS3 took off?

PS3 really didn't ''took off'' it just got two week big boost from FFXIII releasing. Few weeks later in middle january it was already under 30k for week again. PS4 already has sizable buffer against PS3 december and this buffer will continue to grow for few weeks. After the dust settles and both are out of holiday weeks they should be pretty much neck in neck.

Somnia

So just got home from the ole Christmas Eve shift, work Monday and then done for good. Just my full time job going forward, was happy to help my friend because he was so desperate for Christmas help, but no more.

Sold out of XB1's other than 3 1TB Gears Bundles. Sold 2 PS4 Pro's tonight which was surprising but awesome cause they also bought a bunch of games and were not "upgrading" like pretty much all of Novembers were. Still have a ton of Uncharted PS4's.

Game wise nothing really to say other than everything is selling and low stock. Day after Christmas will suck.

viHuGi

Banned
So just got home from the ole Christmas Eve shift, work Monday and then done for good. Just my full time job going forward, was happy to help my friend because he was so desperate for Christmas help, but no more.

Sold out of XB1's other than 3 1TB Gears Bundles. Sold 2 PS4 Pro's tonight which was surprising but awesome cause they also bought a bunch of games and were not "upgrading" like pretty much all of Novembers were. Still have a ton of Uncharted PS4's.

Game wise nothing really to say other than everything is selling and low stock. Day after Christmas will suck.

Did Sony send alot of stock or Microsoft undershipped Xbox One?

Somnia

Did Sony send alot of stock or Microsoft undershipped Xbox One?

Sony sent a ton of stock.

This last week before Christmas has definitely been in Microsoft's favor sales wise, but before that talking to full time workers Sony sold a bit more it felt like (don't have concrete #'s). The $30 gift card included with Xbox's has been a big thing.

I know we sold all 15 minecraft bundles on that day it was $229 and ever since then we sell them as soon as they come in.

ethomaz

Banned
You're oddly confident about this. How will PS4 stay ahead? What numbers are you expecting in the upcoming weeks where the PS3 took off?
How much time do you believe FFXIII boosted PS3? After few weeks PS3 was doing sub 30k per week... it had two big weeks in holiday only.

PS4 has about ~500k lead without counting the last holiday week... you need to add two month of sales (January and February) to match when PS3 got these 2 holiday big weeks.

Why do people thinks PS3 will be ahead when everything points to PS4 being ahead even after account these 2 big weeks for PS3.

PS4 Pro is #108 on Amazon US. Edit seems only third party sellers have it on there?

Something I didn't quite expect was Watch Dogs 2 is #25 on PS4 and #83 on XBO while FFXV is #5 on PS4 and #34 XBO. Yes I know WD1 had Sony marketing.

Yeah it seems like Pro momentum is fizzling out big time. I'm curious to see how it performs in the coming months

Edited my post, seems just third party? Over 70 on sale but I usually don't bother with third party on amazon, I'm sure most will baulk too. Regarding Pro it depends when the stock ran out.

I'm expecting 10-20% and 30% on a good day. I'm sensing I can get a mega deal on a Pro in Jan Feb with these sitting on shelves. It's curious how they were $60 and £30-50 off after being out a couple of weeks. Why drop the price if stock is low and they're selling.

Vena

Yeah it seems like Pro momentum is fizzling out big time. I'm curious to see how it performs in the coming months

I think we should look to the N3DS effects and see if they aren't fairly similar since, before GO and the 70$ 2DS, the 3DS was following a similar trajectory I feel. A bump on launch, and then a tapering off.

PS4 Pro is #108 on Amazon US. Edit seems only third party sellers have it on there?

Something I didn't quite expect was Watch Dogs 2 is #25 on PS4 and #83 on XBO while FFXV is #5 on PS4 and #34 XBO. Yes I know WD1 had Sony marketing.

Remember, you guys are looking at Hourly sales. The system is sold out on Amazon so it is definitely going to be low on the hourly. No need for concerns really. It is currently 75th for the month of December (and 2 spots ahead of the Special Edition Xbox One S Battlefield bundle which is $100 cheaper than a PRO). Not necessarily setting the world on fire, but still solid for the month of December where people are looking for great deals.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/2016-12/videogames#4

Remember, you guys are looking at Hourly sales. The system is sold out on Amazon so it is definitely going to be low on the hourly. No need for concerns really. It is currently 75th for the month of December (and 2 spots ahead of the Special Edition Xbox One S Battlefield bundle which is $100 cheaper than a PRO). Not necessarily setting the world on fire, but still solid for the month of December where people are looking for great deals.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/2016-12/videogames#4

In general Pro hasn't impressed me in a single territory yet in sales. Not a flop but I don't think Sony could consider it a big success. Seems to be doing just ok, nothing wrong with that though

Mooreberg

In general Pro hasn't impressed me in a single territory yet in sales. Not a flop but I don't think Sony could consider it a big success. Seems to be doing just ok, nothing wrong with that though
Considering the proportion of console hardware sold in the month that was the Uncharted 4 bundle, it seems to reiterate that people who wait three or more years are value shoppers. Makes me wonder what the actual plans are for PS4 Pro and Scorpio. At what point is demand for four or five hundred dollar hardware going to exceed something forty or fifty percent less expensive that plays the same software?

Those systems can of course have their own price reductions over time, but then you are running into the point where an actual generational transition would occur.

I would imagine that starting from mid-tolate next year onwards, premium bundles would be Pro-SKUs, and you position that product moreso as the one that is linked to the "didn't buy a console because you were waiting for RDR2, etc? This is the one to buy!"

As i've been saying - mid-gen upgrade wasn't going to take off big time. Scorpio is going to find itself in the same boat as the Pro 3 months after its launch. The market will continue to focus primarily on the PS4/X1

blakep267

As i've been saying - mid-gen upgrade wasn't going to take off big time. Scorpio is going to find itself in the same boat as the Pro 3 months after its launch. The market will continue to focus primarily on the PS4/X1
I think it'll be a little different with the scorpio. I feel like Sony botched the Pronmessaging from the jump. They announced it on the same day as the cheaper slim version and positioned it as not the thing to buy but more of its here for you enthusiasts who want extra. I really expect MS to not mention the S once the Scorpio is revealed. They'll still sell it etc but I expect all games showed to be running on the Scorpio and commercials etc. mainly I'm saying I think MS will hype Scorpio up way more than Sony did for the Pro

viHuGi

Banned
Guys just checked and Xbox One S Deals are over and back to normal price, seems like Ps4s deals are still going for what I can see on Amazon, Best Buy and target.

Absolutely off topic but sales in Portugal also ended today so no more cheap Ps4s, don't know about the rest of EU.

Asd202

I'm kinda surprised by the Pro I thought it would have been a bigger deal. Well Sony didn't really market it all that much. I think MS will take a different approach marketing wise for Scorpio.

I think it'll be a little different with the scorpio. I feel like Sony botched the Pronmessaging from the jump. They announced it on the same day as the cheaper slim version and positioned it as not the thing to buy but more of its here for you enthusiasts who want extra. I really expect MS to not mention the S once the Scorpio is revealed. They'll still sell it etc but I expect all games showed to be running on the Scorpio and commercials etc. mainly I'm saying I think MS will hype Scorpio up way more than Sony did for the Pro

Oh god, no. Why would MS focus on Scorpio over the S? Because it has more power? The Pro has more power and it isn't selling. The market doesn't care about power, the market cares about games, and right now, they are cost sensitive.

The Pro is ultimately going to fizzle out, just like the Scorpio will, because the only thing either machine are offering is more 'power' for the same games you can play. The Scorpio won't have anything the Pro doesn't - its not a new generation, it won't have exclusive software, and its going to literally be a beefed up X1.

What we keep seeing, particularly in NA around the holiday, is that lowest-cost bundles with a tentpole 3rd party offering moves the most units. The reason why we won't see MS putting forth the Scorpio first in this way you think they will because the biggest differentiator the Scorpio will offer is native 4K rendering, and thats not something you can showcase on games in commercials. Outside of native 4K, they are going to look pretty much equal to what the X1 is running, save for some technical enhancements (framerate, AA). Its going to be the same situation the Pro is in now.
I'm kinda surprised by the Pro I thought it would have been a bigger deal. Well Sony didn't really market it all that much. I think MS will take a different approach marketing wise for Scorpio.

The only thing the Scorpio has going for it is power. And we are seeing that the approach 3rd party is going to take with these mid-gen upgrades is going to just have their games run with higher IQ and a few more post-processing FX. You need custom built software to showcase power, and neither console will be getting that. The console market right now has a consumer base that wants to get in for the lowest cost possible, and both of these machines are featuring large price tags for a generation that is already well underway.

Unless MS is planning on producing exclusive software for the Scorpio, and realistically speaking that is impossible as of right now (looking at their 1st party portfolio), then the only approach MS has to sell the Scorpio is selling it off the back of Native 4K rendering on games. How much mileage that will make with the larger market will need to be seen, but I don't think the larger console market is ready to give a shit about it just yet.

PS4 Pro usual rank for november/december at amazon was around 40-50, it's just sold out right now. That is of course without any pricecut or bundle going for it.

The Pro will become increasingly relevant during all the second half of the PS4 cycle without any problem, starting with games like Horizon Zero Dawn and the adoption of 4K screens.

Wonder which model of PS4 will get the Red Dead Redemption 2 bundle next year ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Asd202

PS4 Pro usual rank for november/december at amazon was around 40-50, it's just sold out right now. That is of course without any pricecut or bundle going for it.

The Pro will become increasingly relevant during all the second half of the PS4 cycle without any problem, starting with games like Horizon Zero Dawn and the adoption of 4K screens.

Wonder which model of PS4 will get the Red Dead Redemption 2 bundle next year ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Yeah maybe Sony did the right thing and the focus on the Pro will be more gradual rather than straight away. Maybe they'll focus more on the Pro when MS will be marketing the Scorpio.

RDR2? That will be the $229 PS4 slim bundle. It will move units & Sony won't want price tag to be a factor that holds it back. I could see Sony bundling Destiny 2, CoD, or Battlefront 2 instead with the Pro. But in all honesty, one of the big takeaways from this holiday season in terms of sales was that Sony needed at least 1 more low-cost bundle with a 3rd party offering, and I think part of the reason Sony didn't have it was because they were already pushing 2 other hardware boxes on retailers this Q4 (PSVR, Pro). Next year, I think we see Sony get aggressive with their 3rd party deal & offer at least 3 bundles with the 4 major 3rd party deals we know they have, 2 of which will be PS4 Slim bundles, 1 of which will most likely be a Pro bundle.

Personally, I think Destiny 2 would be the best candidate for the Pro bundle. The Pro largely sells to people already invested within the playstation 4 marketshare, and PS4 is Destiny's home. Having a Destiny 2 PS4 Pro bundle would basically be reselling to an established audience. Its a perfect fit for it, really.

blakep267

The Pro isn't going to be relevant unless they drop the price or start bundling higher profile games with it. If Horizon has a slim bundle and no pro bundle, it's not doing anything anytime soon

viHuGi

Banned
RDR2? That will be the $229 PS4 slim bundle. It will move units & Sony won't want price tag to be a factor that holds it back. I could see Sony bundling Destiny 2, CoD, or Battlefront 2 instead with the Pro. But in all honesty, one of the big takeaways from this holiday season in terms of sales was that Sony needed at least 1 more low-cost bundle with a 3rd party offering, and I think part of the reason Sony didn't have it was because they were already pushing 2 other hardware boxes on retailers this Q4 (PSVR, Pro). Next year, I think we see Sony get aggressive with their 3rd party deal & offer at least 3 bundles with the 4 major 3rd party deals we know they have, 2 of which will be PS4 Slim bundles, 1 of which will most likely be a Pro bundle.

Personally, I think Destiny 2 would be the best candidate for the Pro bundle. The Pro largely sells to people already invested within the playstation 4 marketshare, and PS4 is Destiny's home. Having a Destiny 2 PS4 Pro bundle would basically be reselling to an established audience. Its a perfect fit for it, really.

I can't imagine how big next fall will be for Sony but I feel bad for Ps2, because that record is ending.

Destiny 2, RdR 2, Battlefront 2 and Cod : Vietnam bundle and possible God of War?

Lord have mercy and let's not forget, Star wars Viii is coming.

sirronoh

Oh god, no. Why would MS focus on Scorpio over the S? Because it has more power? The Pro has more power and it isn't selling. The market doesn't care about power, the market cares about games, and right now, they are cost sensitive.

The Pro is ultimately going to fizzle out, just like the Scorpio will, because the only thing either machine are offering is more 'power' for the same games you can play. The Scorpio won't have anything the Pro doesn't - its not a new generation, it won't have exclusive software, and its going to literally be a beefed up X1.

What we keep seeing, particularly in NA around the holiday, is that lowest-cost bundles with a tentpole 3rd party offering moves the most units. The reason why we won't see MS putting forth the Scorpio first in this way you think they will because the biggest differentiator the Scorpio will offer is native 4K rendering, and thats not something you can showcase on games in commercials. Outside of native 4K, they are going to look pretty much equal to what the X1 is running, save for some technical enhancements (framerate, AA). Its going to be the same situation the Pro is in now.

The only thing the Scorpio has going for it is power. And we are seeing that the approach 3rd party is going to take with these mid-gen upgrades is going to just have their games run with higher IQ and a few more post-processing FX. You need custom built software to showcase power, and neither console will be getting that. The console market right now has a consumer base that wants to get in for the lowest cost possible, and both of these machines are featuring large price tags for a generation that is already well underway.

Unless MS is planning on producing exclusive software for the Scorpio, and realistically speaking that is impossible as of right now (looking at their 1st party portfolio), then the only approach MS has to sell the Scorpio is selling it off the back of Native 4K rendering on games. How much mileage that will make with the larger market will need to be seen, but I don't think the larger console market is ready to give a shit about it just yet.

Cosigned.

I think the "hype" (if you can call it that) from people on Gaf and elsewhere over the Pro and Scorpio is mainly driven by their enthusiasm for technology. The problem is that the larger gaming sphere as a whole is more content and price focused, particularly in November and December. Outside of our bubble here on Gaf and outside of our bubble of friends, more powerful hardware is not as important as we think it is.

No doubt many existing Xbox One owners will upgrade to Scorpio next year just like many current PS4 owners are upgrading to the Pro now. The first few months of both launches will be selling to the existing base, not broadening their market. I won't be surprised if initial sales look good or even great but I suspect that sales for mid-gen upgrades will drop off significantly 4 to 6 months in.

Elandyll

Banned
Sony sent a ton of stock.

This last week before Christmas has definitely been in Microsoft's favor sales wise, but before that talking to full time workers Sony sold a bit more it felt like (don't have concrete #'s). The $30 gift card included with Xbox's has been a big thing.

I know we sold all 15 minecraft bundles on that day it was $229 and ever since then we sell them as soon as they come in.
I think this past week (since 12/21) there's been a huge push at BB with a $50 gc for the $249 PS4slim (better deal than most were around BF), so unless you work at one, I imagine PS4s elsewhere probably saw a dip.

Curufinwe

Cosigned.

I think the "hype" (if you can call it that) from people on Gaf and elsewhere over the Pro and Scorpio is mainly driven by their enthusiasm for technology. The problem is that the larger gaming sphere as a whole is more content and price focused, particularly in November and December. Outside of our bubble here on Gaf and outside of our bubble of friends, more powerful hardware is not as important as we think it is.

No doubt many existing Xbox One owners will upgrade to Scorpio next year just like many current PS4 owners are upgrading to the Pro now. The first few months of both launches will be selling to the existing base, not broadening their market. I won't be surprised if initial sales look good or even great but I suspect that sales for mid-gen upgrades will drop off significantly 4 to 6 months in.

The bubble you're stuck in is looking at the very short term when Sony are looking at the medium term with the Pro, likely the rest of this decade. Going 6 or 7 years with no hardware upgrades is no longer a sound business practice.

The bubble you're stuck in is looking at the very short term when Sony are looking at the medium term with the Pro, likely the rest of this decade. Going 6 or 7 years with no hardware upgrades is no longer a sound business practice.

Correct some people on gaf expected to much from pro even more than Sony did .
Pro will sell over time even if the slim out sell it for the rest of the gen .
Thanks to bundles and price cuts , right now Sony just taking in the easy cash .

sirronoh

My analysis was only focused on the short term because it's in reference to the comments posted in this thread about Pro sales for this holiday season (and what Scorpio would be like next holiday season). So in that context, what's why I wrote what I wrote.

If this were a discussion about long-term strategy, then yes, I completely agree with you that Pro and Scorpio makes sense as a way to maintain mindshare in an extremely competitive market and to discourage people from jumping ship.

To my earlier point though, the expectations of what Pro is doing right now are a bit too high and people are not thinking long-term. Sales for Pro should be modest now first and foremost because of price. Sales could continue to be low relative to the slim for quite some time. 12 to 18 months later though, when the generation typically lags, that's when the strategy behind the Pro releasing now (to lockdown mindshare for the tail end of the generation) will make a lot of sense.

which, by your own metric, it will make 3DS sales "a flop" too, btw. Do you agree with me? :)

Of course he won't. Its Nintendo after all.

01./00. [PS3] Final Fantasy XIII (Square Enix) - 1.501.964 / NEW
04./01. [PS3] Final Fantasy XIII (Square Enix) - 188.511 / 1.690.475 (-87%)
04./04. [PS3] Final Fantasy XIII (Square Enix) - 111,705 / 1,802,000 (-41%)

01./00. [PS4] Final Fantasy XV # <RPG> (Square Enix) {2016.11.29} (¥8.800) - 690.471 / NEW <64,63%>
05./01. [PS4] Final Fantasy XV # <RPG> (Square Enix) {2016.11.29} (¥8.800) - 79.792 / 770.263 (-88%)
06./05. [PS4] Final Fantasy XV # <RPG> (Square Enix) {2016.11.29} (¥8.800) - 44.340 / 814.603 (-44%)

As one can see. FFXV legs are nothing to shout about....expected decrease for FF mainline games.

Digital in Japan is pretty low compared with rest of the world... less than 10% of overall sales.

Not on PS4. Some titles even have percentages of 20%.

Somnia

Looks like MS is throwing another deal for the end of the year, but it looks like the $50 off systems is over for Microsoft.

I see GameStop is including the Xbox Stereo Headset and a $50 giftcard with any system purchase... it looks like others are including a free controller along with the $50 giftcard.

Amazon is supposed to be doing these deals also, but I'm only seeing 3rd party re-sellers for every xbox on amazon so I don't see the deal.

Welfare

Of course we do. Okay, I haven't seen them yet, but you can see people refering to "bad Pro sales / momentum" everywhere, so I suppose someone posted numbers somewhere.

I don't know if numbers have been posted as they would be here but you can guess Pro is low because total PS4 sales are 1.1M. At that point it is simply thinking what the split is between PS4 and Pro.

600K PS4 / 500K Pro?
700K PS4 / 400K Pro?
800K PS4 / 300K Pro?
900K PS4 / 200K Pro?
1000K PS4 / 100K Pro?

There is no evidence that Pro did almost as well as PS4 so the Pro would be on the lower end. Whether or not sales are "bad" has yet to be seen.

Looks like MS is throwing another deal for the end of the year, but it looks like the $50 off systems is over for Microsoft.

I see GameStop is including the Xbox Stereo Headset and a $50 giftcard with any system purchase... it looks like others are including a free controller along with the $50 giftcard.

Amazon is supposed to be doing these deals also, but I'm only seeing 3rd party re-sellers for every xbox on amazon so I don't see the deal.

This Deal at B&H in NY is crazy and if you live outside of NY, There isn't tax.

Xbox One S - Minecraft Bundle & $75 GC & Choice of FH3/Fifa 17/NBA2K17/Extra Controller $299
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1279857-REG/microsoft_zq9_00043_xb1_s_game_system.html

The console market has always been cost-sensitive (for decades) - why people expect this to change now because we have mid-gen refreshes is beyond me.

The OG versions of the XB1 and PS4 will continue to be the best performers, by far. That might only change at the very "end" of this "generation" when the Pro and Scorpio are much cheaper (I personally think this concept of "generations" is changing, so it'll become less clear-cut...but there will always be a better-performing low-cost option).

Top Bottom