• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results For November 2016

kuYuri

Call of Duty. Dead series since 2011©.

I wonder if this take into the account the roughly 15% increase in digital sales over Black Ops 3. Does NPD include digital now? Not sure these days.

fernoca

Why are people acting like Pokémon is Deadly Premonition or something ? Lol

Of course it's gonna sell more than COD it's Pokémon & on a bigger install base to boot.
Call of Duty sold more over the last years, and the combined total of PS4 and One is higher than the 3DS.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.

Of course it's gonna sell more than COD it's Pokémon & on a bigger install base to boot.

PS4+XB1 alone have a higher userbase than 3Ds not to mention CoD is also on PC.

kswiston

Not to mention it's 2 games. I'm sure a lot of gamers doubled dipped also

Before this game, every Call of Duty since Modern Warfare 2 in 2009 has at least come close to doubling Pokemon Sun/Moon's franchise record breaking opening.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Curious to know the breakdown of COD and BF1 and how much the difference between them is.

I think if BF1 outsells CoD this year you'll never hear the end of it from EA. They've been trying to dethrone CoD for years.

fernoca

In the US?
Yep. 3DS was at around 21 million in the US and PS4/XBO are at around 25 million according to estimates.
Call of Duty usually sold over 5 million in the US combined, by the end of each year.
The curveball (this NPD) was that CoD went down in sales considerably, while Pokemon went up.

Kill3r7

Do we know how many units TF2 sold last month? Really surprised given its position on PS Stores top sellers last month and X1 most popular list.

Yep. 3DS was at around 21 million in the US and PS4/XBO are at around 25 million according to estimates.
Call of Duty usually sold over 5 million in the US combined, by the end of each year.
The curveball (this NPD) was that CoD went down in sales considerably, while Pokemon went up.

Your numbers are ridiculously off for all three points you're making.

And BF1 is #2 on the chart,

I wouldn't be surprised if there's a huge drop off from 1-4 to TF2.

While that may be true traditionally to make Top 5 in November NPD you have to sell some serious units.

Also it's tracked by revenue now and TF2 was discounted essentially the entire month.

It would indicate VERY strong legs

Also Battlefield 1 had an incredible hold

napata

A 19% decrease in software spending despite a much higher XB1/PS4 install base. It seems like AAA games are in somewhat of a rough spot. Without Pokemon that drop would've been even higher.

I wonder why so many games bombed this year. Hardware keeps selling well so what are all these people playing? Service games and indies?

A 19% decrease in software spending despite a much higher XB1/PS4 install base. It seems like AAA games are in somewhat of a rough spot. Without Pokemon that drop would've been even higher.

Actually a 19% decrease is better of a YoY drop than I was expecting. Last November was ENORMOUS

Fallout 4, Battlefront, and BO3 all released that month

Kill3r7

I think if BF1 outsells CoD this year you'll never hear the end of it from EA. They've been trying to dethrone CoD for years.

Worldwide I think FIFA will take the crown this year as the best selling game. Certainly true for at least UK and Europe.

fernoca

Your numbers are ridiculously off for all three points you're making.
The user I was quoting said that:
-People shouldn't be surprised, because it's Pokemon (yet CoD usually doubled what this Pokemon debuted to)
-3DS install base is higher than PS4/XboxOne in the US (is not)
-That Pokemon always sold more than CoD because of that (it didn't)

That the numbers are off, of course. I never claimed they were, even used words like "around"and "estimates".

kswiston

BF1 sold half of CoD even if you compare debuts months.

BF1 Oct: 1.25m with bundles
CoD Nov: ~2.5m

There is a big difference in sales between these franchises... 50% drop for CoD is still twice BF.

Where are the 2.5M Call of Duty numbers coming from?

Bronetta

Do we have numbers for BF1?

If Sun & Moon combined did 2.7 million and assuming it was a pretty even split, that means Sun did 1.4 and Moon did 1.3 million.

BF1 is ranked higher so it must have done at least 1.5 million if not more.

NOTE: This is my speculation, none of the numbers are confirmed besides 2.7 million for Sun&Moon combined.

ethomaz

Banned

If Sun & Moon combined did 2.7 million and assuming it was a pretty even split, that means Sun did 1.4 and Moon did 1.3 million.

NOTE: This is my speculation, none of the numbers are confirmed besides 2.7 million for Sun&Moon combined.
BF1 debut

Battlefield 1 was #1 at Oct 2016 NPD USA Retail SW with 1250K excl. bundles and 1292K incl. bundles! And this isn't even a holiday month!
— Astronaut Claire (@AstronautClaire) November 21, 2016

CoD debut
8% less than Pokémon

Where are the 2.5M Call of Duty numbers coming from?
8% less than Pokémon combined.

Battlefield has to be over 1 million which is damn impressive hold

AHA-Lambda

Not to mention it's 2 games. I'm sure a lot of gamers doubled dipped also

what.gif

BF1 Oct: 1.25m with bundles
CoD Nov: ~2.5m

There is a big difference in sales between these franchises... 50% drop for CoD is still twice BF.

BF1 actually sells also on PC unlike COD. Not to mention october launch =/= November launch. BF1 had really good hold this month. We shall see if COD has as impressive hold next month....

ethomaz

Banned
BF1 actually sells also on PC unlike COD. Not to mention october launch =/= November launch. BF1 had really good hold this month. We shall see if COD has as impressive hold next month....
It is the debut month... PC digital sales are included in these numbers for BF1 and CoD.

CoD will possible be first in December.

Mooreberg

Not surprised about WD2 or Dishonored. The single player games that can can succeed in November are made by Rockstar and Bethesda (the development team). The first Watch Dogs benefitted enormously from 2014 being what it was.

AHA-Lambda

Actually given how wounded CoD is now, why can't BF outsell it? =/

If I were EA that's the question I'd be asking myself.

ethomaz

Banned
Just to explain something about the ranking.

It didn't include bundles.

2.7m for Pokémon is including bundles... the ranking shows BF1 outselling both without bundle.

We need to know how many bundles was sold before we have a ideia of how many units BF1 sold.

I wonder why so many games bombed this year. Hardware keeps selling well so what are all these people playing? Service games and indies?

Last year had COD being COD plus Battlefront on the train of Star Wars hype and Fallout 4. This year had a declining COD plus Watch Dogs and Pokemon/Dishonored. A fall-off was expected. Next year should be interesting, with COD and probably Red Dead 2 and whatever Ubi manages to get out (the next Assassin's Creed).

Nester99

When are people going to get over COD....

Looks like positive Word of mouth really helped TF2. Nice to see.

The article notes no digital sales counted for skyrim and pokemon.

Nintendo even confirmed that it was its fastest-selling game ever in the franchise’s near 20-year history,

Nintendo 3DS experienced its highest monthly physical software spending in the history of the platform,” said Naji. “They were 1 percent higher than the previous high in December 2014.”

Wow.

Just to explain something about the ranking.

It didn't include bundles.

2.7m for Pokémon is including bundles... the ranking shows BF1 outselling both without bundle.

We need to know how many bundles was sold before we have a ideia of how many units BF1 sold.

While this is true I'm not sure how many bundles there realistically were for Pokémon.

I would think BF1 has to be at 1 million or damn close

Schlorgan

Last year had COD being COD plus Battlefront on the train of Star Wars hype and Fallout 4. This year had a declining COD plus Watch Dogs and Pokemon/Dishonored. A fall-off was expected. Next year should be interesting, with COD and probably Red Dead 2 and whatever Ubi manages to get out (the next Assassin's Creed).
Plus Battlefront 2 on a another wave of Star Wars hype leading up to Episode VIII.

Kusagari

I expect Red Dead to kill everything next year.

the npd top10 list ist revenue based and includes digital sales.

pokemon is cheaper and does not include digital sales. it's impossible to tell how many units bf1 sold this month based on the position im the chart.
also the bf1 revenue number does not include pc sales. orign sales are not included

Top Bottom