• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results For November 2016

On Demand

Banned
You guys know the top ten is revenue and not individual sales right?

I see people mentioning x sold more/less.

That's what I came in to ask, was wondering if NPD tracked it. I'd love to get a ballpark of how many units they actually produced.

Data is in the link in the OP.

RedBoot

Data is in the link in the OP.

Bleh, okay, I'm dumb. That's what I get for assuming the latter half of the article was all Pokemon talk.

Anyway, that's slightly more units than I assumed they shipped, but it's still way too low. How they didn't think they could sell more than double that easily is beyond me.

Why are people acting like Pokémon is Deadly Premonition or something ? Lol

Of course it's gonna sell more than COD it's Pokémon & on a bigger install base to boot.
Not to mention it's 2 games. I'm sure a lot of gamers doubled dipped also

Uh saying Pokémon would outsell a COD game in the launch month would have been heresy even 2 years ago.

Also that bodes well for TF2 if that is a revenue chart.

novabolt

So does Ms take the "marketing rights" award this year? It seems like games they got marketing rights to have been doing great.

thats great for titanfall, well earned and smart plays from the publisher acting fast to get it more noticed

AAA will use Watch Dogs 2 poor sales as evidence for minority protagonists being
'risky'

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
Was AssCreed on a downward trend? Do not remember hearing anything about huge sales for Unity or Syndicate. But man, it is weird brand management to put games out eight times in nine years, then take the year off that you have a movie coming out. WD2 is all the more Bomba when you look at it that way.

kswiston

Nintendo's decisions are baffling at times. Why would they produce fewer NES classics for America than they did Famicom Classics for Japan?

RedBoot

God, imagine how well it would have sold if Nintendo had actually shipped enough to stores throughout the month.

Absolutely, especially in hindsight. They could have sold a million of these.

But even taking the perspective of a company that trends on the conservative side of estimates, I would have expected them to ship closer to 300k, especially after the social media response to the announcement. It's a $60 impuse-buy-friendly product.

I'd even assume supply or manufacturing issues, if it were any company besides Nintendo.

fernoca

It was bundled with 3DS XL.
Really? Is that I know that outside the US it had some bundles, but in the US I never saw or heard of one. Heck,people are still pissed off that moststores sold out of regular units and Nintendo made a huge deal of the Mario bundle.

ethomaz

Banned
Really? Is that I know that outside the US it had some bundles, but in the US I never saw or heard of one. Heck,people are still pissed off that moststores sold out of regular units and Nintendo made a huge deal of the Mario bundle.
I can be wrong and confusing with outside bundles :( I'm not sure... I just saw pics of the bundles... even a 2DS one.

The ranking being revenue based screw up the things... Pokémon had $39 MSRP.

fernoca

I can be wrong and confusing with outside bundles :(

I'm not sure... I just saw pics of the bundles... even a 2DS one.
Yeah. XD
There were no bundles in the US from what I know. But there were a few around the world like the light blue 2DS, the ones in EU with a figurine.

Heck, I sold a few 3DS units and copies of the games despite not working at retail anymore, so some would be asking for my head if there was a bundle with the game. :p

Jesus even with COD being attacked left and right by EA it still got #1
without Pokemon combined
. COD is a beast. I guess sending out Titanfall 2 to die was a good decision?

Ridley327

What a boring top 10. Shooters, shooters, and sports. And Pokemon.

I'm enjoying Skyrim, though.

There's something amusing about complaining about the makeup of the top 10, and then retreating back to a remaster of a game that came out five years ago.

It seems like if it wasn't for NPD's weird distinction between the two versions of Pokemon (is this the only series that they do that for?), it would top the charts.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Jesus even with COD being attacked left and right by EA it still got #1
without Pokemon combined
. COD is a beast. I guess sending out Titanfall 2 to die was a good decision?

Got beat out in revenue by a $20 cheaper sku that didn't have digital sales included. The decline is very apparent.

Ondore

There's something amusing about complaining about the makeup of the top 10, and then retreating back to a remaster of a game that came out five years ago.

It seems like if it wasn't for NPD's weird distinction between the two versions of Pokemon (is this the only series that they do that for?), it would top the charts.

They split Fire Emblem Birthright/Conquest earlier this year, though there'd be a better argument for separating those two than Pokémon.

RexNovis

Banned
Um Titanfall 2 rebounding like that is pretty shocking

Congrats to the team

WOM proves to be king again. It's starting to look like WOM is the single most important factor in determining post release sales potential for games this gen.

Looks like the fire sale on TF2 helped push some copies.

The ranking is for revenue not unit sales which means that any sales putting TF2 at a lower price point would actually be a disadvantage to it on the rankings. It actually makes it more impressive that it was able to rank as well as it did with a lower price.

Welp, Ubisoft finally makes a great open world game again (best since AC:B) that's positive and socially progressive and it completely bombs. This why we can't have nice things and all that.

It suffering for the sins of its forbearer. Watch dogs 1 burned a lot of bridges/good will with consumers. I don't know many that were chomping at the bit to jump back into the franchise.

Welfare

It suffering for the sins of its forbearer. Watch dogs 1 burned a lot of bridges/good will with consumers. I don't know many that were chomping at the bit to jump back into the franchise.
Basically me. Got WD1 week 1, found it above average, not really excited to buy 2.

Honestly, Mafia 3 would get bought before WD2.

It also just doesn't look very fun. Maybe people got their GTA clone fix with Mafia III.

Aww I was #TeamMoon

I bought both though

Same. Didn’t think we had a chance, but I still wanted to win.

I bought Sun for a friend and canceled myself out. Also I bought digital, so I don’t know if I even count in this number.

Also, good shit Titanfall 2!
I’m kinda done with online multiplayer shooters after getting an overload of them last gen, and changing life habits where I can’t spend time alone shouting at people not in the room while I play, but I’m so glad people are supporting what seems like a compelling IP.

If the chart is based on revenue then its even better for TF2 since it was so deeply discounted. The more people playing the better

jjonez18

Funny thing about the NES Classic Mini is we haven't gotten anymore since launch day at the Best Buy I work at. We had something like 20 on launch and none since.

Would have been such a hot seller had we the supply.

Hey, there's a thread about this. I'll post this there too.

Quite Amazing (dissapointing in GAF Eyes) that COD comes out on top year after year. The success never seem to stop. How far ahead of BF is it really?

(guess the Youtube trailer drama dident mean anything at all. Good to remember for future speculation)

Uh, the sales are down like 50% yoy in just about every territory we have numbers for, and it was outsold in November by another game (Pokemon), which hasn't happened in what, 8 years?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Overall:

October retail game sales are down 24% year over year.

Hardware was down 35% year over year.

Console and Handheld game sales were down 18% year over year.

Physical and Steam PC software sales were down 28% year over year.

Software:

1. Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare
  2. Battlefield 1
  3. Pokémon Sun*
  4. Pokémon Moon*
  5. Titanfall 2
  6. NBA 2K17
  7. Madden NFL 17
  8. Watch Dogs 2
  9. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim*
  10. FIFA 17
*No digital sales counted for this game.

Notes:
- There's a note here implying that Sun and Moon combined outsold Call of Duty.
- “Pokémon Sun and Pokémon: Moon had the strongest launch in the history of the franchise, selling 8 percent more units than the previous best-selling combo of Pokémon: White and Pokémon: Black despite having 19 fewer days in market during the month,” said Naji.
- “Pokémon Sun and Pokémon: Moon had the strongest launch in the history of the franchise, selling 8 percent more units than the previous best-selling combo of Pokémon: White and Pokémon: Black despite having 19 fewer days in market during the month,” said Naji.
- “Software spending in November 2016 declined by 19 percent compared to this time last year,” said Naji. “The decline can be fully attributed to the top 3 selling games which, combined, sold 43 percent less than the top 3 games from last November. Combined spending across all other titles grew 12 percent in November compared with a year ago.”

Hardware:

PS4: #1 Console
NES Classic Edition: 196K

Notes:
- The PlayStation 4 was the top-selling hardware system in the month, driven by the PS4 Slim System 500GB Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End Bundle,” said Naji. “This SKU accounted for 30 percent of all hardware units sold.”
- “Unit sales of 3DS hardware grew 59 percent versus November a year ago, the sixth straight month of year-on-year growth,” according to the NPD analyst.
- “Total accessory spending, including PlayStation VR headsets sold through retail, declined by 6 percent versus November 2015 driven by a 49 percent decline in interactive-gaming toys,” said Naji. “All interactive-gaming toys franchises experienced declines in the month compared to November 2015. Lego Dimensions is the current market leader in the segment with 38 revenue share in November.”
- “While spending across gamepads was down overall, sales of the Microsoft Xbox Elite Wireless Controller grew 46 percent in November versus the prior year,” said Naji. “The Sony DualShock 4 was the month’s No. 1 selling gamepad overall.”

Zukkoyaki

Watch Dogs 2 rebounded decently in the UK charts, I think it will have decent legs thanks to word of mouth.

Dishonored is certainly a bummer though, hopefully it shows some legs. Good thing for Arkane that Bethesda usually has very realistic and modest expectations for their games (and could probably live half a decade on Fallout 4 revenue alone) and can likely handle Dishonored 2 disappointing in sales.

Rathorial

Dishonored 2's sales are bit disappointing, and I hope that doesn't mean the end of the series...unless Arkane Lyon want to move on to something else themselves.

I also hope this shows Zenimax that not providing review copies before release, and launching a game with optimization issues, isn't a good idea. Considering the better performance of DOOM across all platforms, probably a sign they should just develop all their games around idtech6. Would probably save them money as well, and it's one of the smart decisions EA has done with Frostbite.

Top Bottom