• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for October 2007

FFChris

Flakster99 said:
Nit pick time.

Your "the FF series has always been PS exclusive" statement is extremely disingenuous, especially around these parts. You're all over the place.

Moving on.

Sorry, I'm sure you realise I meant that it's currently recognised as a PS exclusive title, that's how I meant to put it anyway.

mepaco said:
Eh. Depends on when you started playing Final Fantasy. Yeah, more recent ones have been on PS devices, but my best Final Fantasy memories are all on Nintendo systems. I just see it as another game franchise, not a system specific franchise.

Yea, I guess that's true. I started the series at VII and I'm pretty sure that's where it really took off, but that's just my assessment of the series anyway. I'm a European, so I had a Mega Drive, not a Snes.

GameGamer

titiklabingapat said:
LBP is Sony's best chance, especially if SMG leads the way to the resurrection of the platformers.

I'm excited about LBP. But I really don't think it's going to be a big seller.

I think GT is the only title that can sell big and move some systems.

Sony is selling it's PS3 to home theater people mostly. Game sales are going to be weak on the platform for a long time IMO.

My PS3 has only been used for playing movies. LBP and UT3 (because of the keyboard/mouse support) are the only games of interest I've heard of for PS3 so far.

GameGamer said:
I'm excited about LBP. But I really don't think it's going to be a big seller.
Anecdotal, but I'll be buying a PS3 the day LBP is released... I know of many others who feel the same way. Just how many of us there are we'll have to wait and see. :D

gkryhewy

Psychotext said:
Anecdotal, but I'll be buying a PS3 the day LBP is released... I know of many others who feel the same way. Just how many of us there are we'll have to wait and see. :D

Certainly at least 8 to 10 of you.

kiUNiT

Psychotext said:

I feel the same way about LBP but I have a PS3 already. For me it's next PS3 game's will be Haze then UT3, Uncharted demo did not do it for me.

Dai Kaiju

Nolan. said:
Would be funny if the big hit needed turned out to be AFRIKA.
All kidding aside, I think it's going to be the biggest bomba of this generation. Well, 2nd biggest. PGR4 wins by a landslide. Aside from already established franchises like God of War, single player games are going to start dying out this generation. Sony had the right idea with Warhawk and its emphasis on MP. Maybe Socom and Syphon Filter will help.
Unless Afrika has some kind of multiplayer were you can be a lion and hunt photographers before they snap you, Sony should stop development on it right now and put that money into something that isn't doomed to failure.

gcfan2k5

Dai Kaiju said:
All kidding aside, I think it's going to be the biggest bomba of this generation. Well, 2nd biggest. PGR4 wins by a landslide. Aside from already established franchises like God of War, single player games are going to start dying out this generation. Sony had the right idea with Warhawk and its emphasis on MP. Maybe Socom and Syphon Filter will help.
Unless Afrika has some kind of multiplayer were you can be a lion and hunt photographers before they snap you, Sony should stop development on it right now and put that money into something that isn't doomed to failure.

No kidding... to go from three previous million sellers (worldwide) to 38 thousand first month in the largest game market................. is the biggest bomb in the history of gaming, especially considering that PGR4 is every bit as good or better than PGR3. Its not like PGR4 was a bad game, it was GREAT.

DuckRacer

gcfan2k5 said:
No kidding... to go from three previous million sellers (worldwide) to 38 thousand first month in the largest game market................. is the biggest bomb in the history of gaming, especially considering that PGR4 is every bit as good or better than PGR3. Its not like PGR4 was a bad game, it was GREAT.
Actually, wasn't PGR4 released on October 2nd (which was part of the September NPD)? There's probably some sales from its first few days that wasn't counted here.

Nonetheless, it did terrible. Delaying it a month to release a week after Halo 3 was a huge mistake.

wazoo

Duck said:
Actually, wasn't PGR4 released on October 2nd (which was part of the September NPD)? There's probably some sales from its first few days that wasn't counted here.

Nonetheless, it did terrible. Delaying it a month to release a week after Halo 3 was a huge mistake.

PGR2 was a bomb too, at least in Europe, before they pack in with the Xbox just after christmas.

Dai Kaiju said:
Aside from already established franchises like God of War, single player games are going to start dying out this generation.

No they're not. Just because MP games sell well doesn't mean SP games are going to die out. That's like saying because Wii Sports sells well, all we're going to get is mini games from now. Things aren't black and white. There will always be SP games.

maxmars

FFChris said:
Am I the only one who finds the premise of that game actually kind of interesting?

No, not really. I love such games (currently playing Endless Ocean), and to be honest Afrika is one of the titles I'm waiting for in order to get a ps3.

gcfan2k5

Duck said:

They wouldve been better off delaying it until next march/april and adding even more to it, and fixing bugs and optimizing.

psycho_snake said:
They do have quite a few system sellers that will be releaeed. They've got MGS4, Gran Turismo and Final Fantasy. Those are the three games that might help sony climb out of the whole they are in. They're all games that are capable of selling loads and can help move systems. However, there is a problem because by the time these games are released, it might be too late to make any impact. A lot of people who were deciding between a PS3 and an Xbox360 will have bought a 360 because the 360 has a lot of top quality games, whilst the PS3's best games are coming out next year onwards. Price is obviously the other ffactor in thier decision to buy a 360 over a PS3.

We don't know if two of those games will be PS3 exclusives so that's not a foregone conclusion. And honestly, I don't see the PS3 magically climbing out of a 4 million+ hole in the US. The 360 has hit its stride and won't let up until March (if history stays course), and the Wii is the dominant system of this generation, end of story.

Right now the PS3's software sells are almost non-existent, and if that doesn't change soon the system will be in trouble. I've maintained that games like Killzone should help the system next year, but at the end of the day the PS3 is going to need a magical 2008 to keep in the US market race.

beerbelly

Banned
I also don't see the PS3 going on top of the 360 in NA when it's all said and done. There wasn't really any STRONG competition the previous 2 generations against Sony. During the N64 vs PS1 days, the N64 barely had any games + n64 games were more expensive ($100+ for some games like Doom64). Last generation, the Gamecube hardly had any quality 3rd party games and really only catered to the niche Nintendo fans while Xbox also didn't have enough good games either. Don't forget that by the time Xbox 1 and Gamecube was released Sony had Final Fantasy 10, Gran Turismo 3, Metal Gear Solid 2 and Gran Theft Auto (sandbox games were the new fad at the time) PLUS price drop of the PS2 + tons of other 3rd party games to choose from.

Dai Kaiju said:

Fantastic, man, really. A game you know absolutely nothing about is doomed to failure. Let's just say that I think a lot of people are going to be very surprised when the game is officially unveiled.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
BishopLamont said:
It's not a bomba if they made a profit relative to the budget, None of those games had a budget bigger then a game say Lair or PGR4 which need big numbers to pull in a profit. Although Zack and Wiki probably costed a bit more than those other Wii games, that I would consider a bomba.

I don't think you realize exactly how low the sales were :(

Tobor

MassiveAttack said:
Fantastic, man, really. A game you know absolutely nothing about is doomed to failure. Let's just say that I think a lot of people are going to be very surprised when the game is officially unveiled.

Are they going to change the title to Afrika of War?

gkryhewy

MassiveAttack said:
Let's just say that I think a lot of people are going to be very surprised when the game is officially unveiled.

Hey look, another mysterious implication of insider knowledge. Is the FFVII remake an unlockable in Afrika? Wink wink nudge nudge?

Afrika looks great on its own merits.

gkrykewy said:
Hey look, another mysterious implication of insider knowledge. Is the FFVII remake an unlockable in Afrika? Wink wink nudge nudge?

Afrika looks great on its own merits.

Unlockable Red XIII and an army of moogles.

Wii-za

ANECDOTAL EVIDENCE

It is not fair...my parents just came back from visiting 8 STORES!!! and NOT A SINGLE ONE had a damn Wii in stock...

That thing is just crazy...it has been 1 YEAR!!! did you read that! 1 **** YEAR!!!!

ARGH!

I'm sorry but I dont feel like making a new topic just to give this anecdotal evidence...

U.S. Video Games Sales - October 2007
October 2006 October 2007 YTD Oct 06 YTD Oct 07
Video Games $643.3M $1.1B 73% $7.0B $10.5B 49%
Video Games Hardware $207.1M $469.7M 127% $2.2B $4.1B 85%
Console Hardware $118.7M $349.6M 195% $1.4B $3.0B 125%
Portable Game Hardware $88.5M $120.1M 36% $877.5M $1.1B 23%
Video Games Software $369.3M $513.9M 39% $3.9B $5.0B 27%
Console Software $283.8M $412.5M 45% $2.9B $3.8B 28%
Portable Game Software $85.5M $101.5M 19% $983.1M $1.2B 23%
Video Game Accessories $67M $130M 94% $872.8M $1.4B 60%

What the hell does each category include?

What's the difference between cosole software and video games, and or video games software? And what is video game accessories? Does that mean things like controllers, hdmi cables, wireless adapters etc.?

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
C- Warrior said:
What the hell does each category include?

And what is video game accessories? Does that mean things like controllers, hdmi cables, wireless adapters etc.?
Video Games - All HW + All SW + Accessories
Video Games Hardware - Console + Portable HW
Console Hardware
Portable Game Hardware
Video Games Software - Console + Portable SW
Console Software
Portable Game Software
Video Game Accessories

Yeah, plus memory cards and other stuff.

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
grandjedi6 said:
I don't think you realize exactly how low the sales were :(
I still wonder why you singled out the Wii with your original comment. Based on the numbers we seen, sanctioned or otherwise, a lot of software on all the systems "bombed"... Spiderman (all), Manhunt 2 (PS2), Flash Focus (DS), and in particular PGR4 sitting there at 38k.

If you could send Z&W sales numbers, I'd be very very thankful. If you're basing these arguement on those leaked numbers, keep in mind that they are sorted by dollar amount, so for all we know Z&W could have done about 40k and still not ranked.

AniHawk

So far this month, from what I know, we have sold 18 Wiis. For Friday, we're getting the Most Wiis we've had in a single shipment since launch (launch was 36, and we're getting 21 for Friday). In November 06, we had 45 Wiis (36 launch, 9 black friday). So it's looking like we'll get the same amount or maybe slightly less than last year. Since we have months where our store sells 12 Wiis and NPD hits somewhere around 300k to 400k, it looks like November's going to be tremendously huge.

Sony's also shipping more PSPs and $400 PS3s. The 40GBs still just kinda sit there. From what I've seen, everyone's trying out every option except the 40GBs just so they can have full backwards compatibility. They haven't been scared enough into buying a used 60GB or 20GB though. Ever since Microsoft's hardware woes, a handful of people think the PS3 has similar problems.

Wii-za said:
ANECDOTAL EVIDENCE

It is not fair...my parents just came back from visiting 8 STORES!!! and NOT A SINGLE ONE had a damn Wii in stock...

That thing is just crazy...it has been 1 YEAR!!! did you read that! 1 **** YEAR!!!!

ARGH!

Everyone's holding them for tomorrow or black friday.

Don't worry though. You should be able to walk in and just pick one up.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
AniHawk said:
So far this month, from what I know, we have sold 18 Wiis. For Friday, we're getting the Most Wiis we've had in a single shipment since launch (launch was 36, and we're getting 21 for Friday). In November 06, we had 45 Wiis (36 launch, 9 black friday). So it's looking like we'll get the same amount or maybe slightly less than last year. Since we have months where our store sells 12 Wiis and NPD hits somewhere around 300k to 400k, it looks like November's going to be tremendously huge.

Sony's also shipping more PSPs and $400 PS3s. The 40GBs still just kinda sit there. From what I've seen, everyone's trying out every option except the 40GBs just so they can have full backwards compatibility. They haven't been scared enough into buying a used 60GB or 20GB though. Ever since Microsoft's hardware woes, a handful of people think the PS3 has similar problems.

Everyone's holding them for tomorrow or black friday.

Don't worry though. You should be able to walk in and just pick one up.

Interesting about the 40GB PS3.

Any early word on RE:UC or Uncharted sales?

AniHawk

schuelma said:
Interesting about the 40GB PS3.

Any early word on RE:UC or Uncharted sales?

REUC sits in a box untouched and unloved.

Two people bought Uncharted today. One person bought a used copy that had been traded in not just ten minutes earlier, and someone else almost walked out the door with Smackdown vs. Raw and returned it for Uncharted when they saw it was out. Awareness for the game is low.

.dmc

Banned
AdmiralViscen said:
The question is: when will third parties start making these sort of gamer-games instead of the games they've been making? Since January or February, it's been "With Wii selling like this, it's only a matter of time!" "Wait a few more months for Wii's dominance to be clear!" "Wait for E3!" "Wait for TGS!" "Wait for E 4 All!"

It's just not happening.

By the same token, what new exciting 'next-gen' announcements have there been? Wet? No one is announcing big new titles, and the rumors are suggesting that publishers are saying 'take away that epic next-gen space fps proposal and come back with 4 wii titles'. So yeah, we haven't seen the definitive switch and the wave of announcements, but what exciting next gen titles are there that we didn't hear about back in 2005/06?

Eric WK

.dmc said:
By the same token, what new exciting 'next-gen' announcements have there been? Wet? No one is announcing big new titles, and the rumors are suggesting that publishers are saying 'take away that epic next-gen space fps proposal and come back with 4 wii titles'. So yeah, we haven't seen the definitive switch and the wave of announcements, but what exciting next gen titles are there that we didn't hear about back in 2005/06?

Ninja Gaiden 2. But you're right, that's literally the only one that comes to mind.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
.dmc said:

Also, if you look at Japanese companies, Wii "real" game announcements have been on a noticable uptick the last few months, with off course MH3 as the prime example.

AniHawk said:
REUC sits in a box untouched and unloved.

Two people bought Uncharted today. One person bought a used copy that had been traded in not just ten minutes earlier, and someone else almost walked out the door with Smackdown vs. Raw and returned it for Uncharted when they saw it was out. Awareness for the game is low.

I've still seen zero TV ads for Uncharted. I assume they are hitting next week.

Attention for next month:

If you own a PS3 and don't buy Uncharted, I'm coming over to your house and chopping off your balls with a bolt cutter. If you spent that much money on a game console and refuse to buy the best game on the damn thing then you don't deserve to reproduce.

Hitler Stole My Potato said:
Attention for next month:

If you own a PS3 and don't buy Uncharted, I'm coming over to your house and chopping off your balls with a bolt cutter. If you spent that much money on a game console and refuse to buy the best game on the damn thing then you don't deserve to reproduce.
I'll PM you my address.

Any reason why a few people think that Uncharted will sell well? I mean, other than it being a good game. Is there an ad campaign? Random public awareness?

.dmc

Banned
FlightOfHeaven said:
Any reason why a few people think that Uncharted will sell well? I mean, other than it being a good game. Is there an ad campaign? Random public awareness?

MarchAprilMayJuneJulyAugustSeptemberOctoberNovember excitement.

if it's a good game then it deserves the sales, but it's just the latest great white hope for PS3

Top Bottom