• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for October 2007

Tobor

FlightOfHeaven said:
Any reason why a few people think that Uncharted will sell well? I mean, other than it being a good game. Is there an ad campaign? Random public awareness?

Then again, there are quite a few of us who pegged it as a bomb months ago.

Hitler Stole My Potato said:
Attention for next month:

If you own a PS3 and don't buy Uncharted, I'm coming over to your house and chopping off your balls with a bolt cutter. If you spent that much money on a game console and refuse to buy the best game on the damn thing then you don't deserve to reproduce.

I'm not buying it. I'll rent it eventually, but my PS3 is a Blu-Ray player. :D

RBH

FlightOfHeaven said:
Any reason why a few people think that Uncharted will sell well? I mean, other than it being a good game. Is there an ad campaign? Random public awareness?

I'll be shocked if it breaks the 200k mark. There's just not enough public awareness/buzz around the game right now, and there's alot of stiff competition in November (COD4, Assassin's Creed) that may prevent the game from achieving higher sales.

If PAL sales are any indication, Call of Duty 4 will top the PS3 charts in November. For Sony, this is not necessarily a bad thing. They need a breakout 3rd party hit in the states. Of course, it only furthers the stereotype/trend that people who spend $400+ on consoles prmarily play FPS, racers, and sports games. With Resistance, Madden, Motorstorm, and COD4 being the most popular games, it's hard to argue.

I really hope Assassin's Creed, Mass Effect, and Uncharted do well this holiday so HD action-adventure games and RPGs don't suffer in the West.

Just basing it on Amazon.com alone, Uncharted will bomb harder than Ratchet. Though I expect it to actually do better, it will probably still do under 150k.

Ratchet was already nearing the top 10 3-4 days before release day while Uncharted is stuck at 73. Of course, it could still do 200k and be stuck at that low a ranking because everything else might have surged. We're well into the holiday shopping season after all.

Hitler Stole My Potato said:
Attention for next month:

If you own a PS3 and don't buy Uncharted, I'm coming over to your house and chopping off your balls with a bolt cutter. If you spent that much money on a game console and refuse to buy the best game on the damn thing then you don't deserve to reproduce.

This is why Manhunt 2 is banned in so many places.

Dai Kaiju

MassiveAttack said:
Fantastic, man, really. A game you know absolutely nothing about is doomed to failure. Let's just say that I think a lot of people are going to be very surprised when the game is officially unveiled.

I was kidding about the multiplayer. I'm guessing it involves taking pictures of animals judging by recent screens, but i'm sure there's more to it. When I say doomed to failure, I mean in terms of sales. I'm sure it's going to be a good game, hell maybe a great game. However, i'm going to call Viva Pinata syndrome on this one. It's going to be a hit with GAF/the gaming press, and a flop with everyone else.

Oneself

I don't think Ratchet will bomb through the holiday season. It was advertised with the Oct.30th release date, it was shipped a week before that date (and "gamers" were the only one to know that).. that's why there's only 75K copies sold for October.
Uncharted will clearly bomb though if they don't rampage the media with ads.

X26

Banned
Too bad about the PS3, its doing poorly doesn't help us as gamers at all, why you'd be cheering about it (unless you have an actual stake within MS or Nintendo) is pretty incomprehensible

MisterHero

X26 said:
Too bad about the PS3, its doing poorly doesn't help us as gamers at all, why you'd be cheering about it (unless you have an actual stake within MS or Nintendo) is pretty incomprehensible
Because the lesser demand especially compared to PS2 has forced Sony to make more aggressive decisions, like lowering the PS3's price. I think that the pricedrops have helped and/or WILL help some people.

So YAY for the lack of success for $600 gaming hardware.

Dai Kaiju

FlightOfHeaven said:

It's going to bomb. On the flipside, I think Mass Effect will bomb too. Publishers are being so fucking dumb this year. "Oh my! We have to get this game out in time for the holidays!". People with 360s and PS3s (for the most part) aren't little kids who ask Santa to bring them videogames for Christmas. They're adults who buy them for themselves, no matter what time of year it is.
They can't buy them all though. New IPs don't stand a chance against monster franchises. Hell, even big franchises don't. Look at Rachet and especially PGR4.
Why the hell would you release games like Strangehold, Timeshift, and Blacksite:Area 51 around the same time as freakin Halo 3, Orange Box, Call of Duty 4, and Guitar Hero 3? All of those new IPs could have done just fine if the publishers delayed them, used the time to make them GREAT instead of average, and released them during a game drought.

Contrary to my points, I could easily see little kids asking for rockband for christmas.

Link

The Autumn Wind
MisterHero said:
Because the lesser demand especially compared to PS2 has forced Sony to make more aggressive decisions, like lowering the PS3's price. I think that the pricedrops have helped and/or WILL help some people.

What this man said.

DuckRacer

.dmc said:
By the same token, what new exciting 'next-gen' announcements have there been? Wet? No one is announcing big new titles, and the rumors are suggesting that publishers are saying 'take away that epic next-gen space fps proposal and come back with 4 wii titles'. So yeah, we haven't seen the definitive switch and the wave of announcements, but what exciting next gen titles are there that we didn't hear about back in 2005/06?
Apologies for the list wars, but...

-Tom Clancy's Air Combat, EndWar, and Splinter Cell: Conviction
-Condemned 2
-Midnight Club: LA
-Borderlands
-Prototype
-Brutal Legend
-Fallout 3
-Dead Space
-Dead Island
-The Bourne Conspiracy
-Fracture
-Bionic Commando
-Race Driver One
-Saints Row 2
-Mirror's Edge
-Soul Calibur 4
-Silent Hill 5
-Rage

And there's probably a few others I've missed.

My point is that there have been a fair amount of game announcements for the future that don't have Wii versions. Wii game announcements are starting to creep up, but it's not like they're completely sacrificing all the 360/PS3 announcements.

GhaleonEB

duk said:
It's going to take a lonnng time if ever for the PS3 to catch wii/360.
Yeah, just doing simple math shows how steep that hill is. They've got an advantage in a lot of other territories, but if they pull ahead in the US it will take a couple of years, minimum.

Lair is a bad game, Heavenly Sword is an eight hour game, and Ratchet is a family friendly title on a machine priced for the hardcore.

Uncharted seems more suited to the current PS3 audience than any of those games, so I think it will outperform them. Won't do Resistance: FOM numbers, but it should do well enough.

Kosma

Banned
Catchpenny said:
Lair is a bad game, Heavenly Sword is an eight hour game, and Ratchet is a family friendly title on a machine priced for the hardcore.

Uncharted seems more suited to the current PS3 audience than any of those games, so I think it will outperform them. Won't do Resistance: FOM numbers, but it should do well enough.

Voice of reason.

Duck said:
Apologies for the list wars, but...

-Tom Clancy's Air Combat, EndWar, and Splinter Cell: Conviction
-Condemned 2
-Midnight Club: LA
-Borderlands
-Prototype
-Brutal Legend
-Fallout 3
-Dead Space
-Dead Island
-The Bourne Conspiracy
-Fracture
-Bionic Commando
-Race Driver One
-Saints Row 2
-Mirror's Edge
-Soul Calibur 4
-Silent Hill 5
-Rage

And there's probably a few others I've missed.

My point is that there have been a fair amount of game announcements for the future that don't have Wii versions. Wii game announcements are starting to creep up, but it's not like they're completely sacrificing all the 360/PS3 announcements.

Also

- Guilty Gear 2
- Last Remnant
- Wet
- Darksiders
- Soldier of Fortune 3 (announced and released in a 6 month span)
- America's Army (ditto)
- Sega's Viking game

unnannounced but coming
- Resistance 2
- Assassin's Creed 2

It's not that there hasn't been a big chunk of next-gen game announcements (Game Informer's monthly exclusive preview is invariably a 360/PC/PS3 game), it's just that they've been drowned out by the bigger stuff, and few outside of Fallout 3 have been anything close to playable.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I don't think first-party titles are really fair game. No shit the Wii isn't getting first-party titles from Sony and Microsoft.

Tobor said:
Then again, there are quite a few of us who pegged it as a bomb months ago.

I wish I couild find my quotes about how any random title from Microsoft's lineup (probably Bioshock or Mass Effect) would outsell Ratchet and Uncharted combined.

And I really wish I could find my quote where I said that Halo 3 would outsell all PS3 software combined this fall. Oh well. Sometimes laziness overcomes being right.

EDIT: Why in the world are people expecting Mass Effect to bomb? And what exactly constitutes a bomb? KOTOR sold over a million while both Jade Empire and KOTOR2 sold much less. I expect Mass Effect to come close to the BioShock numbers (500k first month, 1 million+ lifetime) and at the very least, equal KOTOR's numbers. Is that a bomba? This is a new IP without the Star Wars license and it is likely to hit over a million in sales. Give me a break, people.

acklame

Ratchet is not and won't be a bomb. When holiday season is over I wouldn't be surprised to see it past 300k, and give it a year it'll be where resistance is at. That's pretty much the exact same selling pattern as previous R&C games btw, none of them had huge first month.

As for Uncharted probably in Nov + Dec will be between 200-300k, and like Ratchet it'll continue to sell in 2008.

mepaco

acklame said:
Ratchet is not and won't be a bomb. When holiday season is over I wouldn't be surprised to see it past 300k, and give it a year it'll be where resistance is at. That's pretty much the exact same selling pattern as previous R&C games btw, none of them had huge first month.

As for Uncharted probably in Nov + Dec will be between 200-300k, and like Ratchet it'll continue to sell in 2008.

Unless it becomes part of a bundle (like Resistance and there were talks of this happening), I just don't see it. I think a large portion of the market for R&C won't have a PS3 until it becomes much cheaper. But I could be completely wrong ... who knows. Hopefully Uncharted will do well; it looks like it deserves it.

X26

Banned
MisterHero said:

Oh my mistake, guess I forgot the PS3 was still retailing for $600

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Dai Kaiju said:
It's going to bomb. On the flipside, I think Mass Effect will bomb too.

People thought Dead Rising was going to bomb. It didn't.
People thought Crackdown was going to bomb. It didn't.
People thought Bioshock was going to bomb. It didn't.
Mass Effect has success written all over it.

mepaco

X26 said:
Oh my mistake, guess I forgot the PS3 was still retailing for $600

Bad reading comprehension or just ignoring it so you can troll? Wasn't the whole point of his argument that the price is where it is now because it didn't do very well? I really wanted a PS3 but I can't justify spending $600 or even $400 on a gaming machine, so the sooner these companies realize that those price points don't fly, the better it is for my gaming future.

knitoe

:lol @ people thinking ME will bomb. Whens the last time a major marketing exclusive game for X360 bomb, none that I am aware of.

Evlar

Banned
Agent Icebeezy said:
What's the correlation between these titles you're intending to emphasize here? You seem to have just listed three 360 games that have done well and then expect us to leap to the conclusion that any fourth game you list will also do well. If you're trying to state every high-budget, well marketed game on 360 performs well that is easily demonstrated false. Is there any other link between these games I'm not seeing?

Haunted

Agent Icebeezy said:
Don't forget Stranglehold and PGR 4... oh, wait.

That said, Mass Effect will do fine.

Count Dookkake said:
:lol It's funny because it's true.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
The Sphinx said:
What's the correlation between these titles you're intending to emphasize here? You seem to have just listed three 360 games that have done well and then expect us to leap to the conclusion that any fourth game you list will also do well. If you're trying to state every high-budget, well marketed game on 360 performs well that is easily demonstrated false. Is there any other link between these games I'm not seeing?

Single player games that Microsoft has had a hand in pushing.

Belgorim

Depends how you define a bomb.

I think Mass Effect unfortunately will sell less than Assassins Creed (which in turn will sell less than CoD4, though rightfully so). And that is on 360 alone, not counting that AC is on two platforms. I just don't think the majority will get what its about. Unless there is some weird flood of awareness about the game, I bet its going to "bomb" in a lot of peoples eyes, all depending on what your expectations are.

knitoe

Belgorim said:
Depends how you define a bomb.

I think Mass Effect unfortunately will sell less than Assassins Creed (which in turn will sell less than CoD4, though rightfully so). And that is on 360 alone, not counting that AC is on two platforms. I just don't think the majority will get what its about. Unless there is some weird flood of awareness about the game, I bet its going to "bomb" in a lot of peoples eyes, all depending on what your expectations are.

I wouldn't be surprise in the next NPD:

1) Mario Galaxy (Wii)
2) ME (X360)
3) COD4 (X360)
4) Assassin's Creed (X360)
5) COD4 (PS3)

ME could be #2 or #3. If you are talking about combine sales on all platforms, could be another story.

Belgorim

knitoe said:

1) Mario Galaxy (Wii)
2) ME (X360)
3) COD4 (X360)
5) COD4 (PS3)

ME could be #2 or #3. If you are talking about combine sales on all platforms, could be another story.
Well, yeah, Mario Galaxy should definately top the charts... but so far the pre-order numbers and such for Mass Effect that has been shown, does not point to it getting even remotely that high, so I still think it will sell less than all those games, except maybe CoD4 PS3.

I wouldnt be surprised if GH gets a high spot also, depending a bit on how SKUs are combined.

duk

Banned
knitoe said:

1) Mario Galaxy (Wii)
2) ME (X360)
3) COD4 (X360)
5) COD4 (PS3)

I bet Halo 3 does better than SMG.

It will be:

1. COD4
2. Halo 3
3. GH3 360
4. Assassin's Creed 360
5. Mass Effect
6. SMG

Belgorim

duk said:
I bet Halo 3 does better than SMG.

It will be:

1. COD4
2. Halo 3
3. GH3 360
4. Assassin's Creed 360
5. Mass Effect
6. SMG
now thats just crazy talk :)

(mass effects position among 360-titles could be correct though)

gcfan2k5

Agent Icebeezy said:

Crackdown DID bomb, Halo3 Beta sold VERY well though :D

Bioshock is barely at a million right? That means they might be getting close to breaking even, in which case its not a bomb.

Mass Effect will bomb because it isnt KOTOR3. Bioware games typically sell poorly to all but the most devoted Bioware fans. Kotor was the exception to that.

Dead rising did 1.2 million, which is a success given that they expected less than 500k. Fun game too, but flawed.

Top Bottom