• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for September 2007

GhaleonEB

davepoobond said:
thinking about it, its pretty astonishing that 360 with a price drop + halo 3 only got the 360 27k more than the wii this month. and that's with the 360 having a healthy supply everywhere.
It's been said, but anything compared to the Wii looks worse for the comparison. The Wii has outpaced the PS2 in its first year, no small feat. And even with the price cut, the 360 is still selling at $350, $400 and $450, which is still a hurdle to overcome, albeit less than it was. I think the absolute rankings - beating or not beating by such a small margin, are not important. It's a PR "victory". For the 360, it's more important that it be able to continue this kind of pace.

Jul'07 - 170,000 <----- pre-price cut
Aug'07 - 276,700 <--- price cut
Sep'07 - 527,800 <---- Halo 3 game and Halo 3 console
Oct'07 - XXX,XXX <---- Arcade SKU, holiday bundles

Sales from March-July this year were pretty poor for the 360, but the moves Microsoft has made have done what the needed to do. They just need to carry that through to the holidays, do better than they did last year, and enter next doing much better than this year. They're not going to outsell the Wii.

The PS3 of course, needs to see a similar ramp up.

Jokeropia

ccbfan said:
What point were you trying to make?
That Madden is an exception. I only mentioned it's legs compared to the PS3 version as an aside, separate from the main point. (Hence putting the statement within parentheses.)
Joust Williams said:
But it doesn't. The PS3, on 1/3 of the user base, has more than doubled the Wii version's sales.
You don't know what "legs" means, do you? A game can have better legs than another game despite having sold less overall.

pooteeweet said:
Wii is still tracking above any console in history, is it not? Even with a price drop 360 still sells on average for $100 more than Wii. I don't think outselling the best-selling console in history at a price premium is anything to sneeze at.
These were the other variables I mentioned earlier. They are the reasons that there is an entire NPD prediction thread saying it wasn't going to happen at all. But now that people have time to think about it, it's damn impressive for the Wii? GTFO. It's fucking NORMAL for the Wii. It's sold these same numbers for the last 3 months, which only totaled lower because they were 4 week reporting periods. What so astonishing about it now that you have the time to see that the 360 beat it? Seriously now my ass.

Xeke said:
Ideally I would like all the madden versions to sell terribly so the NFL takes away their exclusive license. I want competition so we can get out of this cycle of paying $50/$60 for roster updates.
QFT. :p

stuff said:
You don't know what "legs" means, do you? A game can have better legs than another game despite having sold less overall.

But if you're still outsold, you didn't have "legs". And I fully expect that the game will keep moving with PS3s. If you are running with someone, and out the gate his pace kicked your ass, but then after a mile, his slowed down but was still better, he's still got better legs.

MisterHero

ccbfan said:
What point were you trying to make? That Wii's Madden have longer legs than PS3's Madden?. Is Ps3 Madden's legs suppose to be impressive or something.

Just curious do you brag that you run faster than a crippled person.
Honestly I wouldn't care about Madden 08 FOR WII because from a lot of reviews, Madden 07 was the better package despite not having Online.

Xeke said:
Ideally I would like all the madden versions to sell terribly so the NFL takes away their exclusive license. I want competition so we can get out of this cycle of paying $50/$60 for roster updates.
Amen to that! No need to take the license away from them, just have it be non exclusive. If they gave an exclusive license to 2K sports, then they would probably just get lazy like the Madden team seems to have become. (Years of no online league support, no refs on the field, a crappy radio announcer that everyone hated, etc.)

Kafel

Banned
Reggie FA said:
The Wii went up against the self-proclaimed 'biggest entertainment launch ever' and we emerged with our best month of the year.

They fired their bullet and our gun is loaded and ready to fire throughout the holidays.

Oh Reggie ... :lol

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
GhaleonEB said:
It's been said, but anything compared to the Wii looks worse for the comparison.

Microsoft seems willing to concede this point, referring to software sales rather than hardware. The Wii really is a strange system. It seems a lot of owners are content with Wii Sports and little else. Not bad for Nintendo, they're making money hand over fist, but it's gotta be more than a little worrying for third party developers who see this massive portion of the install base that's unwilling to buy many titles. Even an industry giant like Metroid was unable to get a good percentage to drop their bowling balls and tennis rackets for something new.

urk said:
Not bad for Nintendo, they're making money hand over fist, but it's gotta be more than a little worrying for third party developers who see this massive portion of the install base that's unwilling to buy many titles.

I think EA will play a big part in how 3rd party support for the Wii is determined from this point onwards.

If EA continue to have such catastrophic failures like Boogie and My Sims (Wii), they may decide not to make any Wii exclusives at all and revert back to simple and much cheaper ports...

ccbfan

TwinIonEngines said:
Metroid isn't even close to being an industry giant.

Depends on what do you mean giant. Is DMC a giant or is RE a giant? If you think about it, its no smaller than DMC or RE. Heck it might even be up there with MGS.

MP sold over 2 mil and MP2 sold over one on the freakin Gamecube. Without the Japanese market too which meant the western markets had to pick up that slack. Thats quite impressive if you ask me. We're talking about a system thats quite inept at selling anything.

mepaco

Xeke said:

QFMFT! I never understood this deal. They must have really shelled out some bucks to make it worthwhile for the NFL. Bungholes.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
ccbfan said:
Depends on what do you mean giant. Is DMC a giant or is RE a giant? If you think about it, its no smaller than DMC or RE. Heck it might even be up there with MGS.

MP sold over 2 mil and MP2 sold over one on the freakin Gamecube. Without the Japanese market too which meant the western markets had to pick up that slack. Thats quite impressive if you ask me. We're talking about a system thats quite inept at selling anything.

Umm...you realize this title has been out in N.A for just over a month and that it hasn't even launched in Europe? I think it will do between MP1 and MP2 world wide..not great, but not a disaster.

Dalauz

batistutaof2.jpg

schuelma said:
Umm...you realize this title has been out in N.A for just over a month and that it hasn't even launched in Europe? I think it will do between MP1 and MP2 world wide..not great, but not a disaster.

I think the point was Metroid in relation to the Wii userbase.

ccbfan

schuelma said:

When did I say MP3 was doing terribly.

I'm just was just trying to say it a much bigger franchise than what GAF suddenly thought of it in the last month.

I mean during the summer I could have sworn this was counted as one of the Big guns with Wii Fit and SMG. Now people are calling it a niche game? WTF

Brak

ccbfan said:

I'm just was just trying to say it a much bigger franchise than what GAF suddenly thought of it in the last month.

I mean during the summer I could have sworn this was counted as one of the Big guns with Wii Fit and SMG. Now people are calling it a niche game? WTF
It's a big gun in terms of quality titles but it was never going to be able to compete sales wise with Mario, Smash, Halo, or the other big sellers.

And RE is a much bigger franchise than Metroid.

schuelma

ccbfan said:

It's tracking in line with the previous games in the series.

Don't quite understand your argument here.

mepaco

ccbfan said:

Historically, Metroid has always been kind of a niche franchise. It has never had spectacular sales or the kind of tie ratio that something like Halo has. I think a lot of people hoped that this Metroid would finally break that niche and appeal to a larger group (it looked to be a little closer to a traditional FPS), but it doesn't look like that will happen. So, I think you are right that many had high expectations for the game, but those expectations weren't supported by its historical performance.

If you look at the comments made here and elsewhere, it doesn't really appeal to your typical FPS junkie because it really is a different type of game. Having said all that, I'm pretty drunk so hopefully all of that makes sense. Rum is so good!

Joust Williams said:
This garbage-y MP3 discussion is a bit stupid.

If it sold better, everyone would say, "SEE HARDCORES LOVE WII", but since it's not, it's "WELL IT'S SELLING LIKE METROID DOES".

Just stop.

So it should have had mass appeal all of the sudden, even though no previous title in the franchise had. Yes, some people had high hopes but they really were unfounded. The sales of Metroid are what they should be, which says more about Metroid than the user base of the Wii.

If it sold better, everyone would say, "SEE HARDCORES LOVE WII", but since it's not, it's "WELL IT'S SELLING LIKE METROID DOES".

Just stop.

Chrange

Banned
davepoobond said:
thinking about it, its pretty astonishing that 360 with a price drop + halo 3 only got the 360 27k more than the wii this month. and that's with the 360 having a healthy supply everywhere.

12 days of Halo 3 sales, and 12 days of Halo 3+console sales. I would imagine the bump will continue into the next month, especially with both the game and console selling out the same day, whenever stock is replenished here.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Opus Angelorum said:
I think EA will play a big part in how 3rd party support for the Wii is determined from this point onwards.

If EA continue to have such catastrophic failures like Boogie and My Sims (Wii), they may decide not to make any Wii exclusives at all and revert back to simple and much cheaper ports...

I can see why they would be apprehensive to green light multi-million dollar titles and would instead look at what they can do in the casual space.

urk said:
I can see why they would be apprehensive to green light multi-million dollar titles and would instead look at what they can do in the casual space.

And if a developer as large as EA is not seen to be supporting the Wii then surely others will follow suit, compounding the problem even further.

tha_con

Banned
You know, if you just click about every 10 pages, it seems like different threads, yet the title says NPD.

Just goes to show you more people are actually into the cock bragging and arguing than they really are numbers or sales data, lawl.

These threads are always loads of laughs though.

Chrange

Banned
tha_con said:
You know, if you just click about every 10 pages, it seems like different threads, yet the title says NPD.

Just goes to show you more people are actually into the cock bragging and arguing than they really are numbers or sales data, lawl.

These threads are always loads of laughs though.

Welcome to any multi-page thread on the Internet?

Christine

Opus Angelorum said:
In context of Nintendo, it most definitely is.

Not in context of Mario, Zelda and Pokemon. Metroid is a series on par with Kirby in long-term franchise sales.

Now if we see Mario perform poorly, then people can talk about industry giants stumbling.

Jokeropia

Joust Williams said:
But if you're still outsold, you didn't have "legs". And I fully expect that the game will keep moving with PS3s. If you are running with someone, and out the gate his pace kicked your ass, but then after a mile, his slowed down but was still better, he's still got better legs.
Sigh. "Legs" is a term used in sales-age to describe a game's ability to sell over a long period, that is to be the opposite of front-loaded.
Opus Angelorum said:
WTF? MySims is not a catastrophic failure by any means, and even Boogie (despite being a bad game) is not doing that poorly. Both games are 100k+ in the US and performed quite well in the PAL charts. They're the kind of games to have pretty good legs too.

SIGH. And if the PS3 version is STILL outselling it, then its legs are better. SIGH.

If I sell one unit at launch and one per month, does that mean it has great legs?

SIGH

Jokeropia said:
Both games are 100k+ in the US and performed quite well in the PAL charts. They're the kind of games to have pretty good legs too.

Hey I didn't mean to sound so derogatory, but do you seriously think EA will be happy at those sales figures for a system that has sold over 4 million units in the US?

urk said:
Microsoft seems willing to concede this point, referring to software sales rather than hardware. The Wii really is a strange system. It seems a lot of owners are content with Wii Sports and little else. Not bad for Nintendo, they're making money hand over fist, but it's gotta be more than a little worrying for third party developers who see this massive portion of the install base that's unwilling to buy many titles. Even an industry giant like Metroid was unable to get a good percentage to drop their bowling balls and tennis rackets for something new.

Honestly, at this point you might as well compare 360 sales to Monopoly and Scrabble sales. Wii/Wii Sports has basically just reached this level of a ubiquitous game that everyone wants just to have around the house to play. This isn't a slam on the Wii or Nintendo. I think it's pretty remarkable that they've reached this plateau of mainstream acceptance. But saying that 360 sales are disappointing seems to miss the point. The Wii is on an entirely different level.

Jokeropia

Opus Angelorum said:
Hey I didn't mean to sound so derogatory, but do you seriously think EA will be happy at those sales figures for a system that has sold over 4 million units in the US?

What did you expect them to sell? They haven't been out very long yet, at least wait until after the holidays to write them off. MySims Wii was in the top 10 third party games across all systems for the month, and the games above include MySims DS and several versions of Madden.
Joust Williams said:
SIGH. And if the PS3 version is STILL outselling it, then its legs are better. SIGH.

If I sell one unit at launch and one per month, does that mean it has great legs?

SIGH
Are you suggesting we should change the meaning of the word just because you prefer a different one?

Here's a graph showing the relative performance of Madden Wii and PS3 in their first two months. (No numbers to be on the safe side.) Do you understand now why I think the Wii version will sell for the longest time, i.e have the better "legs"? It will obviously be hard to outsell the PS3 version overall, but that's not what the discussion was about.

1zn26w3.gif

No. The PS3 has more hardcore users, ie people that buy it at launch. The PS3's sales are also expected to increase dramatically. So two months isn't doing anything. You could ahve done the same thing with 360 Madden sales vs Wii Madden sales.

Grecco

Joust Williams said:

Just stop.

Awesome. When Super Mario sells 2M in November, and Smash sells 3M in Febuary we can play the "Only Nintendo games sell on Wii game instead" Yay!

Opus Angelorum said:
I think the point was Metroid in relation to the Wii userbase.
Comparing attach rate with MP1, MP3 is lower. Comparing attach rate with MP2, MP3 is higher.
Joust Williams said:

SIGH
The way we use the term, yes. If Game A sells 20% of its eventual total in its first sales period, and Game B sells 50% of its eventual total in the first period, we'd say Game A has the better legs. It's irrelevant whether Game A's eventual total is 200K to Game B's 300K.

frankthurk said:
Yeah Joust, this is the Sony am Doomed thread... please exit on your left.
Nah, got little to do with that.

More to do with just how unlikely such a scenario is.

They were outsold by 5:1 by one competitor, and 4.85:1 by the other. The majority of this year has been them being outsold 2:1 by one competitor and 4:1 by the other. America is a lost cause for Sony.

They will have GameCube level relevance here. Every once in a while a game will crack the top 10, but it will be rare. MS and Nintendo will share the limelight most of this generation in America.

I realize some don't want to hear such things. But they are true. The first year on the market is the most important for any console trying to excel. They must create an unending fervor for their product.

It must be sustained, if this was a 4 week month... the PS3 would have been under the 100,000 unit mark. That's not sustained interest, even from a price cut.

GhaleonEB

urk said:
Pretty much. My wife and I were talking about the Wii just the other night. I was simultaneously explaining why I would never buy it for me, as a pretty hardcore gamer, but also explaining why I think the kids - and she - would like it for Christmas. Part of the reasoning is that the games I buy on the 360 don't appeal to them, and part was that we could buy the system and a controller - that comes with Wii Play - and be set for a loooong time. We'll probably get one for Christmas, with the extra controller. I imagine similar conversations have taken place in many a home lately.

Jokeropia

GhaleonEB said:
I imagine similar conversations have taken place in many a home lately.
Then the hardcore base on Wii must be very hardcore since the software attach rate is at a good level regardless.

schuelma

GhaleonEB said:
Pretty much. My wife and I were talking about the Wii just the other night. I was simultaneously explaining why I would never buy it for me, as a pretty hardcore gamer, but also explaining why I think the kids - and she - would like it for Christmas. Part of the reasoning is that the games I buy on the 360 don't appeal to them, and part was that we could buy the system and a controller - that comes with Wii Play - and be set for a loooong time. We'll probably get one for Christmas, with the extra controller. I imagine similar conversations have taken place in many a home lately.

Tell me you'll get Galaxy.

Please

AniHawk

schuelma said:
Tell me you'll get Galaxy.

Please
Shit, he should at least get RE4. To my knowledge, Ghaleon's never owned anything outside a Sega or Microsoft system. It's the type of thing that'd be right up his alley too.

Top Bottom