• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for September 2007

AniHawk

Joust Williams said:
Yeah, and those people looking to buy a PS3 this Christmas will buy Madden. The hardcore users are users that buy a game right when it comes out.

And which userbase is this supposed to be higher than?

GhaleonEB

AniHawk said:
Shit, he should at least get RE4. To my knowledge, Ghaleon's never owned anything outside a Sega or Microsoft system. It's the type of thing that'd be right up his alley too.
We'll see. It will mainly be a seconday system for the wife/kids, and the 360 lineup is going to have backlog. That said, I'm actually more interested in going back and picking up some VC titles - some Mario World and SNES Zelda in particular. Always regretted missing out on those. And for the record, this will be the first time there will be more than one active console in my household at a time. Crawling out of poverty FTW.

AniHawk

Joust Williams said:
The Wii hardcore userbase.

Well, I disagree with you there. The Wii's hardcore base is certainly bigger, but they like different things. For instance RE4 outsold Heavenly Sword's first month, despite one being a 2 year-old port, and one being a game that was pimped since its introduction a year or two ago.

AniHawk

GhaleonEB said:
We'll see. It will mainly be a seconday system for the wife/kids, and the 360 lineup is going to have backlog. That said, I'm actually more interested in going back and picking up some VC titles - some Mario World and SNES Zelda in particular. Always regretted missing out on those. And for the record, this will be the first time there will be more than one active console in my household at a time. Crawling out of poverty FTW.

RE4 is one of those great games that you just need to play period. If you had just bought a PS2, I'd recommend it there. Violent, fun, and unrelenting in its intensity.

GhaleonEB

Jokeropia said:
It looks to me like you were agreeing with what urk said. ("Wii users don't buy software".) Was that not the case?
I was agreeing with that in part, but the points I was making in particular were 1) the Wii appeals beyond the hardcore gamer (wife, kids), 2) Wii Play is a great deal because of the price differential between it and a second controller. As in, let's get a Wii for the wife/kids and get Wii Play as well. From this month's chart, I think it's clear that happened a lot.

AniHawk said:
RE4 is one of those great games that you just need to play period. If you had just bought a PS2, I'd recommend it there. Violent, fun, and unrelenting in its intensity.
I can only do so much! I've had enough violent/scary lately with Gears/Bioshock. So, we'll see. :p

Sorry for the derail.

Jokeropia

Zelda's certainly not more casual than Madden, in any case.
GhaleonEB said:
I was agreeing with that in part, but the points I was making in particular were 1) the Wii appeals beyond the hardcore gamer (wife, kids), 2) Wii Play is a great deal because of the price differential between it and a second controller. As in, let's get a Wii for the wife/kids and get Wii Play as well. From this month's chart, I think it's clear that happened a lot.
I see. I must echo the suggestions to get RE4:Wii, then.

(Also, it would probably be a good idea to track down a Wii as soon as possible since they're likely to be hard to find around Christmas. You probably knew that already though.)

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
GhaleonEB said:

Good man. Those two are among the best of their series.

Btw, when did NPD threads suddenly become big? I remember back in the day they would be like 10-15 pages tops.

schuelma said:
It's tracking in line with the previous games in the series.

Don't quite understand your argument here.
So the astronomical Wii userbase hasn't helped the game at all. Ok. I hope you know what people are going to take from that though.

egocrata

Banned
TheRipDizz said:
So the astronomical Wii userbase hasn't helped the game at all. Ok. I hope you know what people are going to take from that though.

Errr.... The Wii is selling well and the GCN did not sell too much, but the userbase of the Wii is not bigger than the GCN LTD total. It is actually doing better, in proportion, than the GCN games.

PkunkFury

TheRipDizz said:

Why is this surprising? there are pleanty of critical hits that weren't helped by the PS2's astronomical userbase either. Niche is niche. The concepts behind Metroid simply aren't fun for the average person. The game is about getting lost. It has never been a big seller.

Prime 1 had some extenuating circumstance around it since the series was dead for years. A lot of curious people picked it up on stellar reviews and hype form old Metroid fans. They had no idea what they were playing. This is clear from Prime 2's excessive drop in sales. MP3 may still top Prime 1, which would be great, and which would make it the most successful metroid to date.

Don't forget, Prime Hunters also bombed, and this was on the DS. It had heavy advertsing, Wi-fi and a widespread demo, yet it still didn't light up the charts. Does this mean hardcore games won't sell on the DS either?

GhaleonEB said:
It's been said, but anything compared to the Wii looks worse for the comparison. The Wii has outpaced the PS2 in its first year, no small feat. And even with the price cut, the 360 is still selling at $350, $400 and $450, which is still a hurdle to overcome, albeit less than it was. I think the absolute rankings - beating or not beating by such a small margin, are not important. It's a PR "victory". For the 360, it's more important that it be able to continue this kind of pace.

Jul'07 - 170,000 <----- pre-price cut
Aug'07 - 276,700 <--- price cut
Sep'07 - 527,800 <---- Halo 3 game and Halo 3 console
Oct'07 - XXX,XXX <---- Arcade SKU, holiday bundles

Sales from March-July this year were pretty poor for the 360, but the moves Microsoft has made have done what the needed to do. They just need to carry that through to the holidays, do better than they did last year, and enter next doing much better than this year. They're not going to outsell the Wii.

The PS3 of course, needs to see a similar ramp up.

Need to add 3 year warranty added because if RRoD. As much as the initial PR hurt MS, the 3 year warranty ( and new units with changes to minimize RRoD ) has made potential purchasers a great deal more comfortable.

AniHawk

KeithFranklin said:
Need to add 3 year warranty added because if RRoD. As much as the initial PR hurt MS, the 3 year warranty ( and new units with changes to minimize RRoD ) has made potential purchasers a great deal more comfortable.

Well that and the new Falcon systems. That's why I'm finally buying one. Good price, non-shit hardware, and good games.

I think the Arcade packs are going to be very popular. The Halo 360s are going to sit on shelves for a while though.

AniHawk

goldenpp72 said:
Well according to stinkles they only made 1 run of those halo 360s, so I imagine they will be gone by xmas.

They'll likely sell to people who come in at the last minute to pick a system up. They sure made a helluva lot more than I thought they would though.

egocrata said:
Errr.... The Wii is selling well and the GCN did not sell too much, but the userbase of the Wii is not bigger than the GCN LTD total. It is actually doing better, in proportion, than the GCN games.
Compared to the userbases at the times of the game launches, MP3 is attaching worse than MP1 but better than MP2. This means that depending on which angle one prefers to look at it, one can either go with Early Wii Metroid less successful than early GameCube Metroid! or Wii Metroid sequel reverses series downward trend!

AniHawk

JoshuaJSlone said:
Compared to the userbases at the times of the game launches, MP3 is attaching worse than MP1 but better than MP2. This means that depending on which angle one prefers to look at it, one can either go with Early Wii Metroid less successful than early GameCube Metroid! or Wii Metroid sequel reverses series downward trend!

One thing I've seen with MP3 when anyone tries to play it is that they have NO IDEA how to control the thing. They're approaching it like how people tried played Excite Truck a year ago with over-exaggerated movements. They also like pointing directly at the fucking TV, standing no more than one foot away.

Once they figure out to put their hands down to their waist, the next obstacle is getting used to walking and aiming at the same time (which sometimes leads them back to the over-exaggerated movements again).

To be fair, this happened with TP too. TP didn't rely on the wii remote as much though.

AniHawk said:
They'll likely sell to people who come in at the last minute to pick a system up. They sure made a helluva lot more than I thought they would though.
A good friend of mine brought this up, but what the fuck were they thinking not including Halo 3 with the damn system, given its cost, etc.? Jesus christ I'd like to have a discussion with the businessman who made that decision.

Link

The Autumn Wind
JoshuaJSlone said:
It's not really an apples-to-apples comparison, though. MP3 launched in August, which is a much slower buying season than November, when MP1 and 2 launched.

Narag

TheKingsCrown said:
A good friend of mine brought this up, but what the fuck were they thinking not including Halo 3 with the damn system, given its cost, etc.? Jesus christ I'd like to have a discussion with the businessman who made that decision.

I think Stinkles was the one to bring it up as it was a collector's item for the same sort of people that bought the cat helmet i.e. those not minding spending the extra cash for the branding involved.

Brakara

JoshuaJSlone said:
That seems... a tough assumption. 90% of core gamers don't agree on squat.

I wonder if there's even a game more than half of this forum actually owns?

Well, according the the NeoGAF Xbox 360 Sales and Stats page, 90.5% have played Gears of War.

http://joaomgcd.planetaclix.pt/GafGamersLeaderboard.xml

grandjedi6 said:
Go play it now. You have no excuse unless you are an Xbox only owner

Personally, I'm waiting for the price to come down as it's full priced here in PAL land. :(

beerbelly

Banned
Yea, PS3 has more hardcore gamers who only like to argue about graphical fidelity in videogames on message boards. All this hardcore talk only translated to poor-to-mediocre sales.

TheKingsCrown said:
It makes perfect business sense. Since there were many people who prepaid for their copy of Halo 3 before the Halo 360s came out, including the game with the Halo 360 would mean those people couldn't buy it, even if they wanted it, because they already had another copy of the game paid for.

It would basically have limited the market they could sell that system to.

My assessment:

Halo 3 is a system seller, however most people bought their 360's for Halo 3 a long time ago instead of waiting.

I know alot of people who did just that thinking that Perfect Dark Zero would tide them over until Halo 3's release. Boy was they wrong..........lol

Here is the status of what is in stock at my local Best Buy:
60 GB PS3s = 30 (Thirty, not a typo)
80 GB PS3s = 12
Wii = Sold Out
Xbox 360 Pro = Sold Out
Halo Xbox 360s = 3
Xbox 360 Elite = 7
Xbox 360 Core = Sold Out (They have the Arcade SKU in the back, but can't break street date)

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
My assessment:

Halo 3 is a system seller, however most people bought their 360's for Halo 3 a long time ago instead of waiting.

My assessment:

Halo 3 will ultimately sell 6 million units.

Everyone who has already bought a 360 for Halo 3 has now bought Halo 3.

Therefore, there are about 2.5 million future Halo 3 owners who have not yet bought a 360.

These 2.5 million will be spread out over the upcoming months and years of the X360's lifespan.

Just got back from CostCo . . . they've got a pro unit packed with the Forza 2, Marvel Ultimate Alliance, a second controller, and a plug & play kit for $399 . . . that's a pretty nice pack.

Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
I know alot of people who did just that thinking that Perfect Dark Zero would tide them over until Halo 3's release. Boy was they wrong..........lol
Fortunately there were plenty of titles between then & now such as CoD2, CoD3, Bioshock, GRAW, GRAW2, Rainbow Six, etc.

speculawyer said:
Just got back from CostCo . . . they've got a pro unit packed with the Forza 2, Marvel Ultimate Alliance, a second controller, and a plug & play kit for $399 . . . that's a pretty nice pack.

Hmm, not that great really. You're only saving $20. Those 2 games are part of the bundle that Microsoft is doing for this upcoming holiday season, so you're paying $50 for controller and plug and play, which retail for $70, I believe.

Oh, and this November and Decempber NPD are going to epic, just epic. Can't wait! :D

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
PS3 has more hardcore gamers

is that the biggest issue with the PS3 though ?

The hardcore are the only ones who can see the differences that the PS3 offers over the X360, and the casuals just see more x360 games and a cheaper price point?

nextgeneration said:
Hmm, not that great really. You're only saving $20. Those 2 games are part of the bundle that Microsoft is doing for this upcoming holiday season, so you're paying $50 for controller and plug and play, which retail for $70, I believe.

You are very correct in that you are only saving $20 . . . but for a parent buying a next gen console for kids . . . the full console model, two games, and two controllers for the same price of the new low-cost PS3 . . . that's pretty attractive

speculawyer said:
You are very correct in that you are only saving $20 . . . but for a parent buying a next gen console for kids . . . the full console model, two games, and two controllers for the same price of the new low-cost PS3 . . . that's pretty attractive

Yes, very attractive, I agree. It's a great value for the consumer this holiday season and will definitely give PS3 a run for its money at the same $399 price point. It's going to be extremely interesting to see which sells better this holiday season.

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
DCharlie said:
is that the biggest issue with the PS3 though ?

The hardcore are the only ones who can see the differences that the PS3 offers over the X360, and the casuals just see more x360 games and a cheaper price point?

If the hardcore own the PS3, why aren't they buying games?

I've had my PS3 for 10 months and have five games. The latest one bought in July. And the next one probably at the end of November, and from then on, probably nothing until , well, I don't know.

I've had my 360 for 22 months, and have 35 games. The latest one bought two weeks ago, the next one on Tuesday, and then pretty much another one every week from now until Feb.

Unless the PS3 base is so hardcore, they're all multi console owners over stuffing themselves on 360 and Wii...(which is probably the case)

Top Bottom