• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for September 2007

donny2112

a Master Ninja said:
Here is the status of what is in stock at my local Best Buy:
Xbox 360 Pro = Sold Out
Halo Xbox 360s = 3
Xbox 360 Elite = 7
Xbox 360 Core = Sold Out (They have the Arcade SKU in the back, but can't break street date)

Wow. Microsoft needs to get to shipping the Pros. That's the main SKU, and they're going to need a couple of million for Q4, at least.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Not to let an epic thread die...

NPD post up this morning at Next-Gen.biz.

I'm the author, but sonycowboy's comments in the past have led me to believe it'd be kosher to link to it.

For whatever it's worth, I don't read the GAF NPD stuff until after I've turned in my work to the editors, so I'll be taking today to go through everyone's comments here.

jvm said:

I'm the author, but sonycowboy's comments in the past have led me to believe it'd be kosher to link to it.

For whatever it's worth, I don't read the GAF NPD stuff until after I've turned in my work to the editors, so I'll be taking today to go through everyone's comments here.

This really deserves its own thread, there's a lot to cover.

And I might add, it's much harder to spin some of the numbers that you've put together. Nicely done.

GhaleonEB

jvm said:

Excellent article.

Both BioShock, for the Xbox 360, and Metroid Prime 3: Corruption, for the Wii, appeared in the top 10 for a second month. BioShock sales dropped from 40,000 units per week down to 30,000 units per week, a rather modest drop for its second month. Last month we noted that Metroid Prime 3 sold at a brisk 43,000 units per day during its five days in August. During the entire month of September, it sold under 5,000 units per day on average.
My only suggestion here is to provide the monthly totals for each game.

The conclusion many have drawn from the combined Halo 3 and Xbox 360 sales in September is “software sells hardware”, which is certainly true to a point. However, the increase in Xbox 360 sales due to Halo 3 was perhaps not as large as the raw numbers might suggest. Let's take a closer look.

Recall that in August the Xbox 360 sold at a rate of 69,200 systems per week in response to the system's price drop. Let us make the modest assumption that sales would have continued at roughly that same rate in September without the launch of Halo 3, between 65,000 and 75,000 per week. Since September was a 5-week period for NPD, the Xbox 360 would have already sold between 325,000 and 375,000 systems in September – without Halo 3. So the effect of Halo 3 was to move between 150,000 and 200,000 extra systems in a month, which sounds rather modest compared to the 3.3 million copies of Halo 3 that were sold.

If the bump in hardware sales carries over to October and beyond, then we can certainly conclude that Halo 3 is definitely moving systems. And no one denies that Halo 3 didn't help move extra systems in September. However, with the one data point from the past month of sales, the true Halo effect has yet to be demonstrated.
You nailed this. There's been a lot of discussion here about this point, but this was the best analysis of the Halo 3 impact I've read so far. It moved some hardware, but not a tremendous amount, and we have yet to see if it will continue to do so.

Of course, third party Wii software sales don't show the same level of resilience. As of August, six third party Wii titles had placed in the top 20 software sales during all of 2007. They are:

Rayman Raving Rabbids (UbiSoft)
Sonic and the Secret of the Rings (Sega)
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 07 (Electronic Arts)
Spider-Man 3 (Activision)
Resident Evil 4 (Capcom)
Madden NFL 08 (Electronic Arts)

Of those six, three made two appearances in the monthly top 20 lists: Sonic, Tiger Woods, and Resident Evil 4. None have appeared in the top 20 for more than two months. Those alone are enough to rebut the claim that third parties are not selling software on the Wii. It's harder to make the case that third parties are selling Wii software as well as they could given the installed hardware base of over 4.5 million systems.
This was the most revealing part of the article, especially the contrast between first party longevity and 3rd party.

Great write-up.

jvm said:

Your weekly consoles sales chart alone could have shut so many people up in here. Has nice colors.:D
Good read. Will go back and finish the rest.

Jokeropia

According to Nick Williams of GamerMetrics, the average Wii owners has purchased only 2.8 games, while the average Xbox 360 owner has bought nearly twice as many, 5.5 games. Even PlayStation 3 owners have purchased more games, on average, of 3.0 games per owner.
Sonycowboy has commented on those figures being "way off".
GhaleonEB said:
This was the most revealing part of the article, especially the contrast between first party longevity and 3rd party.
Did anyone expect those games to have as much longevity in the top 20 as Wii Play and Zelda? Not many games do. As was mentioned in the article, several 360 games (Dead Rising, Lost Planet, Forza 2, Crackdown) fell off the top 20 after two months as well, and those were mentioned as having more longevity than the average big 360 game..

Jokeropia said:
Did anyone expect those games to have as much longevity in the top 20 as Wii Play and Zelda? Not many games do. As was mentioned in the article, several 360 games (Dead Rising, Lost Planet, Forza 2, Crackdown) fell off the top 20 after two months as well, and those were mentioned as having more longevity than the average big 360 game..

The difference being, those 360 games had monster first month sales. And in the article, he mentions these as evidence that they were selling only to hardcore fans, in contrast to Guitar Hero 2, which stayed in the top 10/20 for months, selling over a million copies despite debuting at under 300k.

Jokeropia

My point is that games staying for several months in the top 20 is an exception rather than a rule. Most games don't, and it's not like those Wii games (with the exception of Madden) have't sold well to very well either way.

GhaleonEB

Jokeropia said:

The only data I'd seen on 3rd party sales accross platforms this month came from MS:

Since November, third party partners have seen their titles hit the top ten 27 times for Xbox 360, compared to 2 for PS3 and 1 for Wii.
So it's nice to have a couple other data points. In the article, I wish we had an apples-apples comparison - how many 3rd party titles hit the top 20 for 360 this year, and how long did they last? That context would help make the data on the Wii more interesting. (If there's one major criticism of the otherwise excellent article, it's that a different kind of analysis is done on each system's data, rather than making them comparable.) Still, the above from MS and the data in the article on 3rd party software sales isn't painting a great 3rd party sales success for the Wii. Hopefully we get more data as the holidays roll through.

Well honestly, I think Guitar Hero will be the new measuring stick for 3rd party sales across all 3 platforms, since no one seems to want to use Madden.

Great game in a multi-million dollar franchise, all versions have their perks:

360 - achievements, (exclusive?) DLC
PS3 - cheaper wireless Guitars than 360, DLC
Wii - $10 less than 360/PS3, 'superior' Guitar experience due to rumble/mic

It think it will say a lot if the 360 version outsells the PS2 version, or if one of the other two versions is a flop.

hoos30

Excellent article. The NPD thread should be locked until Matt make his analysis every month. I'm only half joking.

Given the installed base of 8.3 million PSP systems, that means that even the best-selling PSP games are reaching less than 1 in 100 PSP owners in any given month. For PSP developers, those kinds of numbers are grim indeed.

What on Earth are PSP owners doing with the machines?? They're not buying games or UMDs. Do that many people know how to "cheat" the system?

Nintendo have really fouled up the NPD charts with their Wii Play shenanigans. Is it software or hardware? Nintendo can claim both. Both of my SUPER casual friends who owns Wiis bought it based on their love of Wii Sports and they both hated it, but since they got a controller "for free", they don't complain.

I think that 360 software sales are especially frontloaded not only because of the "hardcore" user base, but because with Live there is "peer pressure" of sorts to keep up with what all of the people on your Friends List are playing. I have 40 so or folks on my Friends List and every month it is lit up with people playing the game du jour. Is this good or bad for the industry? I think total software sales, in dollars, is what counts the most and we don't get to see those numbers very often.

Sho_Nuff82 said:
Well honestly, I think Guitar Hero will be the new measuring stick for 3rd party sales across all 3 platforms, since no one seems to want to use Madden.

It think it will say a lot if the 360 version outsells the PS2 version, or if one of the other two versions is a flop.

Would this be the first peripheral driven third party PS3 game? If those bundles bomb for Activision, o lordy.

Sho_Nuff82 said:

Don't forget another huge plus for the 360 version - already have one guitar from GH2

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Sho_Nuff82 said:

I think PS3 version will be a relative "flop." But again, what can you do? This comes down to the fact that many PS3 owners are multi-console owners and also the network effects (pun intended I suppose) of Live, the larger base, etc. (e.g., I'm buying it on 360 instead of PS3 because I can play it with my 360-owning friends).

Again, I think this will somewhat unfairly lead to more hyperbolic PS3 doom-and-gloom even though it really won't be indicative of anything we don't already know but I can't say that negativity will be totally unmerited.

pr0cs

hoos30 said:
EI have 40 so or folks on my Friends List and every month it is lit up with people playing the game du jour. Is this good or bad for the industry? .
I'm not sure I understand how people buying games constantly could be painted in a bad light. So now the preference for companies is that people buy less software?.. i don't follow.

Sharp

BenjaminBirdie said:
Would this be the first peripheral driven third party PS3 game? If those bundles bomb for Activision, o lordy.
I wouldn't worry about Activision. Guitar Hero III will sell crazy well on every platform.

hoos30 said:
Excellent article. The NPD thread should be locked until Matt make his analysis every month. I'm only half joking.

What on Earth are PSP owners doing with the machines?? They're not buying games or UMDs. Do that many people know how to "cheat" the system?

Nintendo have really fouled up the NPD charts with their Wii Play shenanigans. Is it software or hardware? Nintendo can claim both. Both of my SUPER casual friends who owns Wiis bought it based on their love of Wii Sports and they both hated it, but since they got a controller "for free", they don't complain.

I think that 360 software sales are especially frontloaded not only because of the "hardcore" user base, but because with Live there is "peer pressure" of sorts to keep up with what all of the people on your Friends List are playing. I have 40 so or folks on my Friends List and every month it is lit up with people playing the game du jour. Is this good or bad for the industry? I think total software sales, in dollars, is what counts the most and we don't get to see those numbers very often.

Dude....that is in the very first post of this thread, and the industry is doing TREMENDOUSLY well right now. Why in the world would it be bad for the industry if more people are buying games?!?!?!?

Sharp said:
I wouldn't worry about Activision. Guitar Hero III will sell crazy well on every platform.

It won't sell crazy well on PC or PS3, but it will do okay.

botticus

hoos30 said:
I think that's still because of the "hardcore" user base. I don't think that once you get into the "casual" market that those people will want to or be able to keep up with the game buying of the current user base. Following that logic, games will still be crazy front-loaded when the 360 has double the user base, but they won't sell twice as many copies.

hoos30

Sho_Nuff82 said:

Madden was a perfectly suitable measuring stick until the Wii came along. :D

Xeke

Banned
Sho_Nuff82 said:

You must know something I don't.

Sharp

hoos30 said:
Yeah, pretty much!

I think Guitar Hero III will sell well even on the PC and the PS3. At the very least, all the freeware GH applications should prove that the demand is there. But because of the way PC game sales are tracked, GAF won't hear about it.

AstroLad said:
I think PS3 version will be a relative "flop." But again, what can you do? This comes down to the fact that many PS3 owners are multi-console owners and also the network effects (pun intended I suppose) of Live, the larger base, etc. (e.g., I'm buying it on 360 instead of PS3 because I can play it with my 360-owning friends).

Again, I think this will somewhat unfairly lead to more hyperbolic PS3 doom-and-gloom even though it really won't be indicative of anything we don't already know but I can't say that negativity will be totally unmerited.

If multiplatform games can't sell well on PS3, because all PS3 owners are double-dipping 360 owners, HD gaming is fucked, plain and simple.

The PS3 at some point or another is going to have to hold up its end on these 20+ million dollar projects. Sony really has to start selling these machines to some one-console owning casuals.

hoos30

dammitmattt said:
Dude....that is in the very first post of this thread, and the industry is doing TREMENDOUSLY well right now. Why in the world would it be bad for the industry if more people are buying games?!?!?!?

I mean total LIFETIME-TO-DATE sales of a title. Never said it would be bad.

jonabbey

AstroLad said:

Yup, Sony absolutely positively has to do something to get network effects going. The legendary firmware 2.0 is supposed to hit real soon now, and hopefully they'll make something happen there.

Sony can't just limit things to Home.

Yeah, computing platforms are all about network effects, and Live is a tremendous intensifier of network effects. Sony should be fighting much, much harder on their online service than they have.

We need surprises in the area of a bigger and better PS Store, and the new firmware, along with a fuck-ton of good marketing from Sony this holiday season if they are going to do anything to help their network effects problem.

mepaco

Sho_Nuff82 said:
hoos30 said:

No single game can ever be a yardstick for 3rd party sales in general. Extrapolating that from a single game (or series) is horribly flawed. There were many quality 3rd party games on PS2 that flopped but nobody in their right mind would claim that 3rd party games don't sell on PS2.

FrankT

donny2112 said:
Wow. Microsoft needs to get to shipping the Pros. That's the main SKU, and they're going to need a couple of million for Q4, at least.

Indeed, I believe the ramp up is now in full production however. I wasn't for sure yet on my November predictions, but I'll just say it now, 360 will beat out the PS3 again in November. Repeat of July is coming, just bigger.

pr0cs said:
I'm not sure I understand how people buying games constantly could be painted in a bad light. So now the preference for companies is that people buy less software?.. i don't follow.
I think what he's asking is not so much "Is everybody buying more games good?" as "Is everybody buying more of the same few games good?", though without a full set of figures to look at it's hard to say whether this is any more true with X360 than other systems.

tanod

when is my burrito
That's a very well-written article. Thanks a lot.

The only qualm I have with it is that you suppose that there are some people who are picking up an additional copy of Halo 3 for collecting purposes.

At 3.3 million copies sold, the amount of consumers who did so are (extremely likely) statistically insignificant and thus, completely irrelevant, when it comes to estimating a "true" attach rate. This is especially true since you don't have any evidence to support the claim outside of anecdotal evidence. I would have omitted that.

IMO, the best thing Sony could do this holiday would be to do an agressive marketing campaign targeting the 360 and the difference in features like HD size, wifi, and free online. Show the consumers the value and start marketing those games on TV. They do pretty well with online advertising but they are severely lacking when it comes to a presence in the TV space. Especially considering that almost all of the 3rd party game commercials end with the 360 logo. Marketing, Marketing, Marketing is all they need at this point. Nintendo is selling hardware on marketing. MS is selling a fuck-ton of software on marketing. Sony is doing jack shit.

Brakara

pr0cs said:

The only way his question would make sense is if he meant that the sales were more evenly spread instead. I mean, obviously buying less (in total numbers) would be bad for the industry. But what if the 360 gamers buying-spree love was shared a little more?

cedric69

I read the feature on Next-gen.biz. Very interesting read. I'm unsure about putting Wii Play on par with other software. The bundled wiimote makes it hard to compare to other titles.

tanod said:
IMO, the best thing Sony could do this holiday would be to do an agressive marketing campaign targeting the 360 and the difference in features like HD size, wifi, and free online. Show the consumers the value and start marketing those games on TV. They do pretty well with online advertising but they are severely lacking when it comes to a presence in the TV space. Especially considering that almost all of the 3rd party game commercials end with the 360 logo. Marketing, Marketing, Marketing is all they need at this point. Nintendo is selling hardware on marketing. MS is selling a fuck-ton of software on marketing. Sony is doing jack shit.

I'm almost positive they've considered this at dozens of meetings and concluded that none of those three benefits would have enough of a consumer impact to offset the cost of a campaign focusing on them.

mepaco said:
No single game can ever be a yardstick for 3rd party sales in general. Extrapolating that from a single game (or series) is horribly flawed. There were many quality 3rd party games on PS2 that flopped but nobody in their right mind would claim that 3rd party games don't sell on PS2.

If sequels to the best-selling franchises in a given region can't be used to gauge 3rd party sales, what can?

ggd210

sonycowboy said:
Many thanks to NPD. I apologize for the brief post, but I'm a little busy today. Enjoy.

HW Sales
PlayStation 2 215K
PlayStation 3 119.4K
PlayStation Portable 284.5K
Xbox 360 527.8K
Wii 501K
Nintendo DS 495.8K
Game Boy Advance 75K

WOW Nintendo sell almost the same than Xbox even if they don't have their bigest games of the year out!!!

xbox: halo3, bioshock
wii: metroid3, mario galaxy, mario & sonic, and next year wii fit, mario kart, and SMASH BRAWL!!!

I have a lot of friends who will buy Wii for mario agalxy, and metroid3!! they are just waiting to earn more money to christmas season! I hope they find it! lol!

Sho_Nuff82 said:
If sequels to the best-selling franchises in a given region can't be used to gauge 3rd party sales, what can?
Like he said, no single franchise. Imagine how shitty we'd perceive last gen as doing if we looked at the growth of Tomb Raider, Crash Bandicoot, and Resident Evil.

tanod

when is my burrito
BenjaminBirdie said:
I'm almost positive they've considered this at dozens of meetings and concluded that none of those three benefits would have enough of a consumer impact to offset the cost of a campaign focusing on them.

Well, they can easily show what MS their competition charges for their HD prices, for one. Also, wifi is a selling point for people who buy laptops (a growing proportion of PC sales) so it is very easy for those people to understand and has the added effect of targeting consumers who are spending a similar amount of money on a computer or laptop.

Really, anything can become a selling point if a company just markets the shit out of it.

BuzzJive

jvm said:

Things that bug me:

Bioshock vs. Metroid comparison you're switching up weekly vs. daily sales numbers. There's no way to compare how big the drop off for Bioshock was after it's first 4 days, but it very well could have been identical to Metroid if not worse. The fact is that Metroid sold more on a daily average than Bioshock did in September, but the comparison blurb makes it sound like Bioshock is doing significantly better.

People are buying multiple copies of Halo 3 to "collect" them? Really?

And this paragraph is a bit of a stretch given the data we have: "This may be simply a function of the type of buyer that Nintendo has courted: the casual gamer. Those buyers may ultimately only purchase 2 or 3 games per year and those games will predominantly be first-party titles, as they are the ones most heavily publicized and recognized by the average consumer. Should this prove to be true, the current trend toward expanding Wii development may prove problematic, as third parties fight for the one non-Nintendo title that each casual owner is willing to buy each year."

Firstly, there's not really much of a real "trend" toward expanding Wii development, and even if we were in fact seeing any results of that yet, perhaps it has more to do with the genres and the quality of the software than just the third party support in general. The biggest third party Wii games this month were Carnival Games and MySims. Convince me they would have sold better on the 360 - or even hit the top 20 for that matter.

Saying that supporting the Wii may prove to be problematic, when they haven't put any real support behind it to begin with is a very poor conclusion to make. Nintendo might in fact have a lock on minigames and such with WiiSports, WiiPlay and Mario Party. How about putting some real effort in to a genre that Nintendo doesn't dominate? RE4 and Red Steel are really the only big titles that I'd say fall in to that category, and both did relatively good.

Lastly - it would have been nice to touch on the Stranglehold bomb - since Midway was really expecting that to do well. Why did it fail?

BuzzJive said:

Yeah, that made no sense to me. Maybe 2 or 3 people do that, but not a number that would be detectable.

As far as irrational Halo 3 purchases go, I'd say there is probably more people who bought Halo 3 despite not owning a xbox 360 yet in anticipation of the new 360 SKUs such as the Forza/Marvel pack and the Arcade pak. But that would also be a pretty small number.

BuzzJive said:
People do this with anything that there are multiples of. If 2% of H3 purchases were "double dips", then that would visibly affect H3's attach ratio from 49% to 48%.

BuzzJive said:
Lastly - it would have been nice to touch on the Stranglehold bomb - since Midway was really expecting that to do well. Why did it fail?

I'm also very curious on that one. How many did it actually end up selling? One excuse is that they delayed the PS3 CE version may have hurt. People like me & others wanted the PS3 CE version since it comes with a HD version of Hard Boiled. But I'd be surprised if people like me make up a substantial number. Perhaps the game just bombed because it got mediocre reviews and it was up against Halo 3.

BuzzJive

JoshuaJSlone said:
People do this with anything that there are multiples of. If 2% of H3 purchases were "double dips", then that would visibly affect H3's attach ratio from 49% to 48%.

What was the Halo 3 version breakdown? Did the helmet edition sell 2% of the normal edition?

jvm

Gamasutra.
BuzzJive said:
Things that bug me:
Ok! :^)

Bioshock vs. Metroid comparison you're switching up weekly vs. daily sales numbers. There's no way to compare how big the drop off for Bioshock was after it's first 4 days, but it very well could have been identical to Metroid if not worse. The fact is that Metroid sold more on a daily average than Bioshock did in September, but the comparison blurb makes it sound like Bioshock is doing significantly better.
You've identified a mistake from the August numbers which carried over into the September numbers. Thank you. I quoted my August article numbers without double checking them, and they were misstated there. I said 40,000 copies a week BioShock in August -- should have been 40,000 per day. I'll send in an amendment to the article.

The biggest third party Wii games this month were Carnival Games and MySims. Convince me they would have sold better on the 360 - or even hit the top 20 for that matter.
What? Wii-designed games would have sold better on the Xbox 360? I didn't see that as my point -- rather that that money spent on a game on the Xbox 360 might see a different, perhaps higher, return.

How about putting some real effort in to a genre that Nintendo doesn't dominate? RE4 and Red Steel are really the only big titles that I'd say fall in to that category, and both did relatively good.
Madden NFL 08 on the Wii did not do well. There's a category that EA has all to itself, and Wii folks shunned it. I'd say Boogie was also a different game on the Wii, with its singing and recording options, but it was also shunned. (Review scores also doomed it, perhaps.) Tiger Woods did slightly better, but is still an area where Nintendo doesn't compete (although Tecmo does, sorta...).

Good question. I've not spent time on it. On a personal level, it doesn't have the widespread appeal that Midway figured it would based on just its leading man and John Woo's weight.

BuzzJive

jvm said:
What? Wii-designed games would have sold better on the Xbox 360? I didn't see that as my point -- rather that that money spent on a game on the Xbox 360 might see a different, perhaps higher, return.

If you put the same amount of effort in to a 360 game as these companies have put in to Wii games - well - they'd have to give them away at Burger King instead of charging $50.

jvm said:
Madden NFL 08 on the Wii did not do well. There's a category that EA has all to itself, and Wii folks shunned it. I'd say Boogie was also a different game on the Wii, with its singing and recording options, but it was also shunned. (Review scores also doomed it, perhaps.) Tiger Woods did slightly better, but is still an area where Nintendo doesn't compete (although Tecmo does, sorta...).

Madden's failure is a bit of a shame - but blame shouldn't fall squarely on Wii owners. It was the worst reviewed version, and EA didn't advertise the features of the Wii version at all. It still sold better than the Gamecube versions (baby steps) and sold relatively well during it's second month (if the leaked numbers from several pages back were accurate).

Boogie is a pretty bad game. I know. I own it. I wouldn't recommend it to anybody.

Tiger Woods 07 sold great for such a late version. Tiger Woods 08 for all platforms seems to have fallen flat. Tiger playing with a Wii controller was pretty good advertising though and maybe Madden Wii would have sold better if there was some of that going on.

I just don't think there's been enough effort put forth by any third parties to effectively conclude that their effort is not worth it. It's a chicken and egg thing.

jvm

Gamasutra.
BuzzJive said:
I just don't think there's been enough effort put forth by any third parties to effectively conclude that their effort is not worth it. It's a chicken and egg thing.
If it is true that Wii casuals will buy only a handful of games a year (and I realize this isn't accepted by everyone -- let's discuss it anyway) then the Wii could have a dozen great games in a year and except for the Nintendo ones, the others would sell poorly. So it's not really an issue of finding those areas that Nintendo isn't covering if the audience isn't going to buy that much software to start with.

Hopefully the picture will get clearer as time goes on. Did sonycowboy come out with those attach rates yet?

I guess I never thought about how many games I buy per year. I can buy as much in a month sometimes as some people buy in a year. Much of that, however, is used and discounted games. I only buy about 4-5 new releases in a given year.

hoos30 said:

QFMFT! I would have never bought games like Lost Planet, Orange Box, Condemned, and a shit load of other games if it wasn't for the XBL community. I regularly get text messages on Live asking if X game is good or not. I got one for Blue Dragon a few weeks ago and I recieved another one from a new 360 user and gaf member for Orange Box. I even have my mostly casual friends picking up games they would have never picked up because I was hyping the game up like there was no tomorrow. I even got one of my hardcore WoW friends to actually stop playing WoW, sell all his characters, and get a 360. He is now a hardcore (though he sucks ass) Halo and RS:V player and he can't wait to play CoD4. My other friend has expanded his taste in games. He no longer just plays Madden or FIFA and picks up games that we can play over Live.

donny2112

jvm said:
If it is true that Wii casuals will buy only a handful of games a year (and I realize this isn't accepted by everyone -- let's discuss it anyway) then the Wii could have a dozen great games in a year and except for the Nintendo ones, the others would sell poorly. So it's not really an issue of finding those areas that Nintendo isn't covering if the audience isn't going to buy that much software to start with.

Let's go with another assumption. A lot of the PS2 casuals will become Wii casuals this generation, if for no other reason than they can't justify $400 on a video game console. Did those PS2 casuals not buy games either? Maybe you think the percentage of casuals on the Wii is greater than the percentage of casuals on the PS2?

I very much disagree with the concept of a large percentage of owners for the Wii that will forever only buy 2-3 games per year. They may only spend $200 a year on videogames, but as Greatest Hits showed with the PS2, budget re-releases can light up the charts. A casual with a $200 video game budget per year can buy 2 full priced games and 5 budget re-releases per year with that.

The Wii will not be the PS2 in terms of software. No system is likely to ever be that large a seller of software in the U.S. again, 360 whole-heartedly included. That doesn't mean that Wii failing to be = PS2 in software makes Wii a poor software choice for third-parties. Third-parties just have to be more selective about what they put where (that goes for Wii and 360) instead of funneling almost everything to one system like with the PS2.

Top Bottom