• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for September 2009

I think many people would have expected a slightly higher figure for Sony but 500K is great nonetheless and surprisingly respectable sales for Microsoft too - it doesn't seem like it has cut much into their market demographic. Although personally I don't put too much focus on a single month's result. The more telling information will be to see how these figures change for next month and the course of the holidays.

duffey

AnIco said:
It's over for Microsoft, period. Microsoft lost their last ace, and that's the end of the 360's hopes and dreams.

It's not hyperbole, it's not fanboy drivel. It is LITERALLY it for 360. Microsoft has nothing left, nothing they can reveal tomorrow would fix the hole now created. There is no reason left for any one, hardcore or casual, to substantively invest in a 360. Except if they want to play Bungie's titles. Which will also come to the PS3 anyway once their Halo contract is up at some point.

The age of Microsoft in the US is done.
:lol

Seriously wow, was not expecting the PS3 to be quite that high in September but Sony must be really happy. I guess 299 was indeed the magical pricepoint.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
The financial guys don't seem to quite as enthusiastic:

Despite this month’s slight increase, pessimism still overshadows the industry. Sentiment for October sales is gloomy and the hopes of the industry managing to break even this year are evaporating quickly.

While the holiday sales period is still looming, there’s only one real title that analysts feel has true blockbuster potential: Activision’s “Modern Warfare 2,” expected in November.

The game could potentially be one of the biggest sellers in the industry’s history — but few, if any, believe it will be enough to turn around what’s shaping up to be a very disappointing year.

CNBC

thaOwner

AnIco said:
It's over for Microsoft, period. Microsoft lost their last ace, and that's the end of the 360's hopes and dreams.

It's not hyperbole, it's not fanboy drivel. It is LITERALLY it for 360. Microsoft has nothing left, nothing they can reveal tomorrow would fix the hole now created. There is no reason left for any one, hardcore or casual, to substantively invest in a 360. Except if they want to play Bungie's titles. Which will also come to the PS3 anyway once their Halo contract is up at some point.

oh boy.

*joker here we go .gif*

So,
full month for price-drop for PS3 and 4 days price-drop for Wii. Wii install base much larger than Ps3 One. Result? Only 30k consoles between Wii & Ps3. Astounding

andymcc

Banned
Mama Robotnik said:
npdmask.gif

only reason i came in this thread. thanks for delivering, as usual.

Zophar

AnIco said:

:golfclap:

AnIco

elrechazao said:
3/10, you have to be more convincing

Hey whatever you think!

Sony took the last reason away that anyone would NEED to own a 360 over a PS3 (except NETFLIX LOL GAMING), and the cavalcade of tiny titles that will be nice but won't stir up any sales is not going to salvage the unreliable, underdesigned RROD behemoth that was 360.

There may be some hardcore gamers that stick around. Some did it for Gamecube. But the last bell tolled. Maybe next decade.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Good job Sony, fantastic numbers. Too bad Sony fanboys here are going to blow it out of proportion.

Good sales for Beatles; glad to see it beat GH5.

pswii60

YTD 2009...

360: 2,390k
PS3: 1,942k

Basically, PS3 needs to outsell 360 by at least 150k units/month before the end of the year to catch up YTD (and for Greenberg to be wrong about this year).

If Sony maintains momentum with Uncharted 2 and the Slim it could be possible, but I can't help thinking that the 360 value bundles and Modern Warfare marketing/bundle will stop it happening. Race for second place YTD is closer than ever though, LTD is another story.

operon

Mama Robotnik said:
Once again a fucking amazing gif m8.
Gz on the ps3 numbers beating wii etc, normal service next month. Glad to see the beatles did well and holy fuck with odst numbers, got to be at least a couple of the other titles combined

derder

AnIco said:

i... don't... i....

Massa

mj1108 said:
Sony must be happy.... Although I thought the PS3 would have been higher. It says a lot though that they just barely outsell the Wii with a price drop.

On the first post. :lol

The price drop was on August 18 btw.

Treo360

AnIco said:

wow. Been saving that for a while?

Great job all around for all three.

ODST not bad for a overpriced expansion.

AnIco said:

OrigJake78 said:
The PS3 has finally broken the streak! The PS3 has been outsold by the Xbox 360 and the Wii for the past 13 months straight.

Sony is losing $108 per console. At 491,800 consoles that's a loss of $53,114,400!

So for a lead of 29k over their closest rival Sony lost $53 Million Dollars. And that's in the American market alone.

Sony losing $100 loss on every PS3 Slim sold

Will PS3 sustain these sales? Maybe. The release of the 250GB PS3 will help (Early adopters am cry).

Will PS3 sustain these sales? No? The PS3 Slim dropped over 2/3rd in only its second week on sale in Japan.

Price cut = Small Increase, New Hardware + Price Cut = Larger Increase

Only one PS3 game in the top 10.

Bet both had their first posts already typed up

AnIco said:

oh god :lol

daebo

AnIco said:

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol Really now? Really?

Kevtones

Happy for for ODST and M&L - both are great games.

Any numbers for:

Cursed Mountain
Muramasa
Dead Space Extraction
Spyborgs

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
AnIco said:

ballsy.

edit: I don't think most people get the reference

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
A bit surprising to see PS3 and Wii so close, I guess a price drop is all Nintendo needed.

Also, go M&L3! :D

AnIco said:

Lame. Way to obvious and unimaginative.

I Push Fat Kids said:
Happy for for ODST and M&L - both are great games.

Any numbers for:

Muramasa

Yes I need to know now.

onken said:
Man those ODST sales are mad.

Yeah, 1.52 million people getting ripped off! I can't believe they released it for $60. Microsoft was smart to offer the Halo Reach MP beta with purchase. I wonder how many people bought it just for that?

fernoca

A few random things:
  • The PSP Go was released on October 1st; so it's kinda hard to tell any impact it may have in sales considering that it barely got around 1 week of sales in this chart.
  • Guitar Hero 5 was released on Sept. 1st, Beatles on Sept. 9th..yet Beatles outsold Guitar Hero with no problems (well deserved too).
  • The Wii received a pricedrop during the month, so it's possible Wii's number would have been lower if it wasn't for that (which is why to many the PS3 numbers may not be that impressive, even when they are)

Top Bottom