• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for September 2009

Cant0na said:
no, bad game = bad sales
Scribblenauts ≠ bad game. It has a Metacritic score of 81, which is good. The controls really weren't that bad, and even if they were, they hardly came close to ruining its awesome concept. Just because the game didn't live up to your hype doesn't make it a bad game. I had a lot of fun with it. Actually, I'm still having a lot of fun with it. I'm still discovering new words and interactions, and the advanced mode is challenging my imagination. I'd say it's my 2nd favorite game this year after Wii Sports Resort.

EagleEyes

I can't believe the 360 was able to sell more this september than the price drop of last september. I sure wasn't expecting that.

August

1. Madden NFL 10 - 360 - EA - 928K
2. Wii Sports Resort (w/ Wii Motion Plus) - Wii - Nintendo - 754K
3. Madden NFL 10 - PS3 - EA - 665K
4. Batman: Arkham Asylum* - 360 - Eidos - 303K
5. Batman: Arkham Asylum* - PS3 - Eidos - 290K

Sept

WII SPORTS RESORT W/ WII MOTION PLUS (WII; Jul-09) 442.9K
MADDEN NFL 10 (360; Aug-09) 289.6K
MARIO & LUIGI:BOWSER'S INSIDE STORY (NDS; Sep-09) 258.1K
THE BEATLES:ROCK BAND* (360; Sep-09) 254.0K
MADDEN NFL 10 (PS3; Aug-09) 246.5K
MARVEL:ULTIMATE ALLIANCE 2 (360; Sep-09) 236.0K
BATMAN:ARKHAM ASYLUM* (PS3; Aug-09) 212.5K

Madden 360 - 1217.6
WSR (omg the legs on this thing) - 1196.9
Madden PS3 - 911.5
Batman 360 Let's guess and say 190k for Sept until we have numbers - 493k
Batman PS3 - 502

I wonder which of these will make it to next month's npd top 10. Probably only WSR

Amir0x said:
i was wondering when someone would quote the source. Damn that's a lot of confused posters!

of course, I don't see how anything that occurs in this month changed the central truth of what I said, but I suspect it'll be the end of the generation before the Sony warriors admit I was completely right in my assessment.
I've been here nearly every day as a lurker and poster for more than two years and I still find it hard to keep up with this stuff...

Snipes424

So no 360 is doomed post, OMG? I've had to read those post about the PS3 for about a year now, I was hoping the same people would be saying the 360 is doomed now.

FrankT

cr_blah_blah said:
So people really aren't taking this as an initial spike? That somehow PS3 will just keep selling this much (relative to the other consoles)? Nearly 500k is fantastic but 360 still sold really well despite the PS3 price cut and kept its stable sales (nearly exactly the same as last year's October numbers, 371,000, actually). PS3 sales increased without effecting 360's YOY sales. I'd take that as meaning this is an initial surge and things will definitely even out month over month. Not a momentum shift to taking over moment. Who knows though.

Well the first couple of weeks in Sept must have been pretty strong for sure, and we have seen in Japan sales slowing by 76% from the high on launch week (50% second week in France as well). The real question is how they average week over week in October and if we similar drops in the US before the holiday season kicks in. Without a true price drop for the 360 though these are pretty good sales as well. In fact these are actually up year over year for the month when during last year in the same month there was the real price drop to $199. As I've said before we should see these reflections of WW drops on the PS3 in the US as well, but the week over week average for October will be telling to be sure. As I’ve said before I see Wii on top for October with a toss up between the 360 and PS3 for the month if not a slight edge with these numbers for the PS3. Nov and Dec I see normalcy again however.

EagleEyes said:
I can't believe the 360 was able to sell more this september than the price drop of last september. I sure wasn't expecting that.

I thought it was possible, but wasn't too sure on it.

Snipes424 said:
So no 360 is doomed post, OMG? I've had to read those post about the PS3 for about a year now, I was hoping the same people would be saying the 360 is doomed now.

You missed it. It was early on.

Also up only 1% for the month overall doesn't bode well for the industry this holiday save the select few me thinks.

Also anyone have LTDs?

Loudninja said:
I think Batman was a top choice for new PS3 slim owners.

I called this months ago when everyone was wondering why they bothered for exclusive content and I was like "Guys, it's going to be a Launch Title."

And it totally was. I am so awesome at prognosticating.

CoG said:
All 491k were Slims?

Actually on that you have a valid point. The "$53 Million" is just a worst case scenario. But you are right, and I graciously concede. There is no way of knowing exactly how many of the units sold were the PS3 Slim.

...Although I'd bet the vast majority were the new model. I'd also be willing to bet that a small percentage of those sales came from people who already owned the PS3.

(See Also: "Now with new hat.")

Either way, Sony lost a lot of money for a small victory over two opponents that have been klicking Sony's ass for the past 13 months straight. Seriously, that's no joke.

And when speaking of losses, some have claimed the PS3 has lost more than the PS2 earned. How is throwing more money down a hole a victory? I'm not seeing it.

botticus

Lots of good numbers all around. Consoles better than I expected, didn't expect M&L3 to chart. And a much shorter NPD thread than I expected to come home to! A great day overall.

EagleEyes said:

I would think another price drop plus ODST was what made that possible. That's just to tempting to pass up.

Snipes424 said:

I'm pretty amazed they still managed YoY growth. That puts a lot of ideas about PS3 eating into 360 sales to rest. Could be that we really just end up with three healthy console ecosystems. Nirvana.

Oop! I mean The Beatles! Sorry, TheGreatDave!

;D

legend166

This does make me laugh a bit at the 'Retail Musings' thread, where the Wii was all but dead, with the PS3 outselling it four times over.

I think the Wii is in for a huge last 3 months of the year. As in, record breaking numbers. Will this be the first holiday of no shortages?

Zophar

OrigJake78 said:
Actually on that you have a valid point. The "$53 Million" is just a worst case scenario. But you are right, and I graciously concede. There is no way of knowing exactly how many of the units sold were the PS3 Slim.

...Although I'd bet the vast majority were the new model. I'd also be willing to bet that a small percentage of those sales came from people who already owned the PS3.

Either way, Sony lost a lot of money for a small victory over two opponents that have been klicking Sony's ass for the past 13 months straight. Seriously, that's no joke.

And when speaking of losses, some have claimed the PS3 has lost more than the PS2 earned. How is throwing more money down a hole a victory? I'm not seeing it.

Hey,

you're an idiot,

love,
Zoph <3

Will DJ Hero make it to the October NPD?

You guys get it at the tail end of October yeah?

I really hope that game kicks ass. Looks fucking AWESOME. Can't wait for my Renegade on 6th November.

OrigJake78 said:

You can gain money back through software, as well as Sony has always been big on brand loyalty, they want to get people to own PS3's now in hopes that they will jump to the next generation of hardware with sony

nib95

Banned
OrigJake78 said:

I wouldn't base your loss figure on that shoddy link. I'd be surprised if Sony are losing much on the slim. But until we get proper figures, it's all guess work. And you're being a bit short sighted, of course it's important and a victory for Sony. The larger the install base in the territory, the better their software sales will be, as shown by Batman AA and NFL this month. I'd imagine it will probably help towards Uncharted 2 as well. Though that remains to be seen.

YoungHav

Banned
I'm a Sony fanboy but I am not delusional. PS3 would have to outsell 360 by the same amount for the rest of the year to beat the 360 this yr. Could've had a chance had GT5 come out this year but I don't see it happening. They could possibly beat MS the remaining months but definitely not for the whole yr.

Beatles and GH5 look to be pretty low for the franchises, I thought Activision was gushing about the sales of GH5 as if it were the best yet, this does not look the case.

sestrugen

OrigJake78 said:

13 months.

loses.

sony am disappoint.

got it.

Snipes424 said:

360 is up yoy, why would they be doomed just because sony also increased their sales by a huge amount? Software sales are still pretty important to a console.

LCfiner

BruceLeeRoy said:
I actually expected the 360 to outdo the ps3 this month with the price drop of the Elite and ODST.

really? wow.

PS3 was a lock to do well this month. first month of a 300 dollar PS3 backed by a big marketing push. there was obviously some pent up demand for the system.

Now, when it comes to this holiday season, the 360 might still beat the PS3 (I’m not making bets :) but September was a no-brainer for the PS3.

100 dollar price drop is massive

BenjaminBirdie said:
I'm pretty amazed they still managed YoY growth. That puts a lot of ideas about PS3 eating into 360 sales to rest. Could be that we really just end up with three healthy console ecosystems. Nirvana.

Oop! I mean The Beatles! Sorry, TheGreatDave!

;D

Hey, when you're wrong you're wrong. At least I wasn't humiliated. 3rd to 4th!

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
OrigJake78 said:

Did you say the same thing when MS was losing over $120 on every 360 sold? I doubt you did.

Cant0na

Banned
Snipes424 said:

the gap isnt big enough. but dont worry if the ps3 can do it again next month there will be tons of those posts

Zophar said:
Hey,

you're an idiot,

love,
Zoph <3

Really? Why is that?

Not going to challenge my statements? Only going to throw stones?

Good for you.

13 months down, $108 loss per system, only 1 PS3 game in the top 10, PS3 losses greater than PS2 earnings, there's more....

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
OrigJake78 said:
Who cares? Honestly? Sony throws $53 mil and gains half a million PS3 owners that will pump cash back into the Playstation market for the near future. Some companies throw $30-80 million on software title budgets alone and see no return on them (LAIR, Too Human) and they're not much worse for wear.

Cosmozone

Finally, Xbox is where it belongs. Still sells too much, though. And it won't last long, I fear. But at least my lowly hater life is now a little brighter. :)

jett

D-Member
Man I miss the days when the full spreadsheet was leaked. This miserable top 10 list NPD gives us poor peasants is just crap.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Patriotsbball5460 said:
...Sony has always been big on brand loyalty, they want to get people to own PS3's now in hopes that they will jump to the next generation of hardware with sony
Yep. That strategy REALLY helped out this gen.

CadetMahoney said:
However, not only has slim stopped the 13 month losing streak, but hasn't Batman also the first multi game the PS3 has come out on top of the 360 version for the entire year so far?

OrigJake78 said:
See Also: Exclusive Joker Content

fair enough, extra content = more value.

In Arkham's case Sony subsidized their own port and got exclusive content in the trade. So you could argue you can't really compare the two, but I think that'd be wrong.

For example, eurogamer and ign both agreed that whilst the 360 version of the game had better graphics/performance than the ps3 version, the extra content added more value and scored the ps3 version higher. The only comparison that gave the Ps3 version the edge in performance/graphics was lens of truth, but that is a different matter.

I think comparing ng2 and sigma2 would be more in line with "not the same game" than batman since those games had far more differences and production timelines.

EagleEyes

BruceLeeRoy said:
I would think another price drop plus ODST was what made that possible. That's just to tempting to pass up.
Yeah, but the entry price for a 360 remained the same so it was still a semi shock.

Banned
legend166 said:
This does make me laugh a bit at the 'Retail Musings' thread, where the Wii was all but dead, with the PS3 outselling it four times over.

I think the Wii is in for a huge last 3 months of the year. As in, record breaking numbers. Will this be the first holiday of no shortages?

:lol exactly. That thread had the Wii and 360 not moving any units. Wii will beat the PS3 and 360 every month onward.

Taurus

legend166 said:
I was thinking the same when I was reading the thread. I guess Wii had one day of great sales when everyone was looking the other way. :lol :lol

Zophar

OrigJake78 said:
Really? Why is that?

Not going to challenge my statements? Only going to throw stones?

Good for you.

13 months, $108 loss per system, only 1 PS3 game in the top 10, PS3 losses greater than PS2 earnings, there's more....
You have a fundamental lack of understanding in the "sell hardware at a loss" business model. Any losses in manufacturing are meant to be recouped through software and accessory sales. Microsoft has been doing the same thing since the original Xbox and nobody is bringing that up.

Selling a console does not mean they are "losing money" by selling it. It's an investment by the manufacturer in the hopes that what the console is USED for will pay dividends.

OrigJake78 said:

The amount they're losing on each slim is similar to what they were losing on the fats at $400. Not $100 though, that analysis is bs.

But regardless of what the losses really are on the hardware, Sony has been making up for them with software and peripherals since last year.

GPsych

Karma said:
:lol exactly. That thread had the Wii and 360 not moving any units. Wii will beat the PS3 and 360 every month onward.

Nah. If I recall correctly, most of the musings people work at Gamestop or other specialty games stores. The Wii probably sells the most at big retail chains like Target and Walmart.

Top Bottom