• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for September 2014 [Up1: Smash/HW/MK8, Destiny stats, 3DS HW]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope you all are ready for October's NPD.

I'll be sure to provide everyone with the fantastic results of Sunset Overdrive, the recovery of Forza Horizon 2 from a slow start to becoming one of the best selling titles of the month, Xbox One's first win since December last year, and the Wii U's descent to falling behind even the Playstation Vita.

Bright times ahead.

How about we just go ahead and start using chartz?

Jonnax

So iim always hearing that the market is shrinking and software sales are always less than the previous year. Is that just the offset of digital distribution or are fewer people buying games?

Verendus

Banned
How about we just go ahead and start using chartz?
Nah.

I'm more than happy to provide one hundred percent official and legitimate Xbox One data to everyone. As long as everyone has an open mind, I'm sure they'll find it agreeable. Maybe not Sony fans, but I expect narrow-mindedness from children.

We've entered the most important quarter of the year. And Phil Spencer is going to make good on his promise about these three months. Thanks to me mostly, and since I'll eventually be taking that job from him, I'm also happy to take the credit in advance.

Correct, November and December are the true holiday spike even if we see major successes in September and October.
Had a quick check into one of JVM's old articles. Typically CYQ4 accounts for between 50-55% of revenue for the year, and yeah the bulk of that will be from Nov-Dec.

I don't really get why there's a need to downplay certain successes. It's like some warped tall poppy syndrome.

kswiston

So I read all 5000+ messages in this thread in the past few hours. Very sad about Aqua's banning. You guys/gals have no idea what valuable contributions she has made to this community over the years. Shame on the ones who criticized her. Shame!

She'll be back next year. When you start taking GAF too personally, a break is a smart idea.

Chartz is taking our Sales-Age crisis harder than we are. How are they going to adjust their software and hardware "tracking" data now?

They can simply adjust it based on GAF estimates, which in turn come from chartz. Through this circular process, the estimates will get more refined. This way we can be sure to get the best possible information.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Had a quick check into one of JVM's old articles. Typically CYQ4 accounts for between 50-55% of revenue for the year, and yeah the bulk of that will be from Nov-Dec.

I don't really get why there's a need to downplay certain successes. It's like some warped tall poppy syndrome.
I suspect some people are upset over what the game is.

I mean we had a thread about how Ubisoft had lost its hype and momentum for Watch Dogs because the graphics were worse than at its debut and there was a 6 month delay.

It proceeded to ship 8 million copies in two months as that's not really what the greater customer base cares about.

kswiston

They can simply adjust it based on GAF estimates, which in turn come from chartz. Through this circular process, the estimates will get more refined. This way we can be sure to get the best possible information.

Sunset Overdrive to have the first 10M unit opening month confirmed. 300% attach rate!

Wow. I can't even PM Aqua now that she is banned for 3 months. Anyone know how I can get in touch with her? Please PM me.

I can't believe she can leave a community like this for 3 months and cut her self off from everyone in the community. I'm an addict to Neogaf.
Why do you need this information? Just let her be.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Cowen shared some publisher specific data: http://venturebeat.com/2014/10/17/a...down-big-last-month-but-in-a-pretty-good-way/

Electronic Arts, in particular, outperformed expectations. Its sales were up 22 percent year-over-year (the NPD doesn’t share those specific numbers). That’s better than the up 5 percent that the Cowen analyst was predicting. Activision, meanwhile, was up 292 percent year-over-year due, obviously, to the release of Destiny. But that was below Creutz’s estimate of up 353 percent. But he thinks he knows why that happened.

Destiny’s standalone sales missed expectations by about 15 percent, but Cruetz doesn’t think that means the game didn’t sell well. Instead, he thinks more people bought it digitally or packed in with a new PlayStation 4 than he originally was expecting.

We won't, it's just that simple.
86822-not-like-this-gif-perfect-loop-pD6b.gif

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
Oh, that's actually great news.
Now how the hell will we get October/November/December NPDs ???????
Oh, we won't. We'll miss out on the most interesting months =O Also, we miss out on a good GAF poster. We'll manage. Maybe another source will appear and maybe this time we'll have enough collective sense to not spoil it again.
Its OVER for NeoGaf, the only reason people even join is for NDP threads.

NeoGAF shot itself in the foot. The age of NeoGAF is over. "Y'know, NeoGAF, we really are NPD."

Anticol

Banned
So just to be clear, we won't get the next NPD results because some people didn't like the method Aqua chose to deliver them?
Damn, really?
Some people...

kswiston

:eek:

Vague hints and suspect estimations incoming! :p

My brother bought Drive Club. Since I know 4 people with a PS4, Drive Club clearly moved 1M units so far. Statistics!

Oh, we won't. We'll miss out on the most interesting months =O Also, we miss out on a good GAF poster. We'll manage. Maybe another source will appear and maybe this time we'll have enough collective sense to not spoil it again.

November and December often get meatier PR statements. We also get more comments from gaming media. It doesn't completely make up for it, but we will be thrown a few bones.

NolbertoS

I get the feeling Aqua isn't coming back. Things won't change like she wants it. Lurkers will still get there info and leave. Tis the internet. If NPD, really hates GAF, might as well have a way of preventing the entire internet of getting hands on financials. Only way I see it is NPD threads be private only, unless you're a member of GAF

Verendus

Banned
My brother bought Drive Club. Since I know 4 people with a PS4, Drive Club clearly moved 1M units so far. Statistics!
Forza Horizon 2 has sold 1.5 million worldwide already, which is simply shocking. Next month will probably be its biggest yet, so that total will likely double, especially with a strong performance in NPD.

Age of One wins again.

Edit:

Wow. What the hell happened in here? :(

That said, I don't think people really understand that a corporation's legal group is a truly scary thing. It's all fun and games on GAF until it isn't.
It's very scary.

As a matter of fact, I refuse to even share gift baskets with them. Why? Because they're evil people.

jvm

Gamasutra.

That said, I don't think people really understand that a corporation's legal group is a truly scary thing. It's all fun and games on GAF until it isn't.

orochi91

Forza Horizon 2 has sold 1.5 million worldwide already, which is simply shocking. Next month will probably be its biggest yet, so that total will likely double, especially with a strong performance in NPD.

Age of One wins again.

Yo let me double check with my bro ioi

I hear he's all sorts of data :'D

That's the crux of the issue here. She was clearly stressing out over NPD pressure, but folks didn't seem to understand that.

Theoretically if people had access to information *cough*...but didn't want to post with their name/handle, the best way to do this is have a secret email address or something like that to an Neogaf admin/mod, and then have that admin/mod input the data into the OP.

That's the best way. And the admin/mod can over time filter the data from trusted sources in the past.

sales-info-neogaf@neogaf.com or gmail. Whatever.

Not saying I have access to info..but if I did..I'd want it to be done this way.

Then it would just be NPD coming after Evilore or the mods instead of coming down on the leaker. The actual issue here, I think, is that the NPD numbers are actually protected by at least an NDA, and leaking them could probably get you fined/sued to the tune of at least thousands, if not tens of thousands of dollars if the NPD felt like it. And maybe up until now they just didn't care, but it looks like that's been changing over the past month or two. Anonymizing the handle that it's printed under wouldn't do anything to stop NPD from trying to go after the source, it's just add an extra step for them to have to go through (and at this point, the first people they'd go after would be the ones who they already know have access based on what's been posted in past threads).

Dante

Crazy how a few mis-steps can really change the course of a generation. Microsoft has course corrected and then some and it really doesn't seem to be making a lick of difference. This holiday was really there best chance due to poor planning and circumstances on Sony's part and it doesn't seem to matter. If COD ends up selling more on PS4 It'll really be a changing of the guard here in the states. I know quite a few people who are holding out on PS4 until Uncharted hits.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
Are we sure...

Anyway, point on hand, my faith in humanity (this includes GAF) isn't so high to believe that a collective of over 1000+ human beings can come to a rational, level-headed conclusion that's an acceptable compromise between everyone.
Ah, you're right. Still, all 1k+ people (everyone here) in this thread could always learn to exercise some tact.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom