• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for September 2014 [Up1: Smash/HW/MK8, Destiny stats, 3DS HW]

Status
Not open for further replies.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
Well the thing I don't understand is if a journalist from Venturebeat or other gaming news sites post a secret sales number from an analyst, then it's ok? but a Neogaf poster it's not ok?
Or when the actual company like Sony or Microsoft or a publisher puts the number in a press release it's ok because they are a game company?
Where is the line.
The journalist gets reprimanded and the GAF poster gets hunted down. Sony and MS I would wager can not disclose the numbers of their competitors. The NPD deals in information. It is their currency, it is their blood. They can't have it in the hands of people that aren't paying for it.

Ah, you're right. Still, all 1k+ people (everyone here) in this thread could always learn to exercise some tact.

That'll be the day.

Baby steps, a thread where everyone's post at least proves that the OP was properly read-through, and not a 'lol headline/paragraph only, who cares about the asterisk' post.

stryke

Well the thing I don't understand is if a journalist from Venturebeat or other gaming news sites post a secret sales number from an analyst, then it's ok? but a Neogaf poster it's not ok?

Or when the actual company like Sony or Microsoft or a publisher puts the number in a press release it's ok because they are a game company?

Where is the line.

Wedbush isn't NPD.

As for publishers or platform holders, got no idea how much info they're allowed to make public.

I don't think publishers/platforms holders, in their PR, have ever quoted competitor figures, even though they have the report that states how much their numbers are. ( correct me if I'm wrong )

Sony/MS/Nintendo are all entitled to reveal their own product's figures as they wish, which will be more accurate than NPD. However, NPD works as a citation benchmark that proves their position in the market, since NPD validates their respective PR statements. Sony could've easily, 2 weeks back, said that they won September, but without NPD's analysis and report backing them, it's just hot air statement.

The journalist gets reprimanded and the GAF poster gets hunted down. Sony and MS I would wager can not disclose the numbers of their competitors. The NPD deals in information. It is their currency, it is their blood. They can't have it in the hands of people that aren't paying for it.

but Microsoft gave 1st party software/total software numbers for Sony after December 2013 NPD

Some people do, it's just a much smaller segment of the market than most people think it is.

Some exclusives matter, but the Uncharteds, Halos, and Gran Turismos are a rarity, not the norm.

And you can't exactly release those games annually, because annualisation of said titles don't really help to expand your console base if they already bought it for the franchise early on, and annualisation just risk your IP's longevity.

Had a quick check into one of JVM's old articles. Typically CYQ4 accounts for between 50-55% of revenue for the year, and yeah the bulk of that will be from Nov-Dec.

I don't really get why there's a need to downplay certain successes. It's like some warped tall poppy syndrome.
So does that mean we can expect them to roughly double their YTD unit sales over Oct-Dec?

So what happened guys? It seems I missed a lot.

creamsugar lost his source.

Aquamarine took on a 3-month self-imposed ban because of various reasons, contributed by some members of GAF not being able to come to a level-headed consensus of how to talk about leaks.

Dark times ahead for those who want leaks.

I don't think publishers/platforms holders, in their PR, have ever quoted competitor figures, even though they have the report that states how much their numbers are. ( correct me if I'm wrong )

Sony/MS/Nintendo are all entitled to reveal their own product's figures as they wish, which will be more accurate than NPD. However, NPD works as a citation benchmark that proves their position in the market, since NPD validates their respective PR statements. Sony could've easily, 2 weeks back, said that they won September, but without NPD's analysis and report backing them, it's just hot air statement.
From memory Greenberg revealed both new system's tie ratios late last year via twitter.
Well... fuck. That's just great.

And did creamsugar really lose access to NPD numbers?
Yes...

RoKKeR

Aquamarine took on a 3-month self-imposed ban because of various reasons, contributed by some members of GAF not being able to come to a level-headed consensus of how to talk about leaks.

Well damn.

stryke

Yeahs what's going on here? What happens to Aquamarine? Guy was a treasure trove.

Apparently we as Neogaf, The Gaming Industry's Guiltiest Pleasure™, have some sort of innate duty/responsibility to disseminate NPD data as much as possible.

She'll be back in 3 months, if she feels like it.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
Journalists never get reprimanded when they break important information, in fact it is THEIR JOB to get the info scoop.
I don't know the legal implications. I'm not a lawyer, but does a person who gets the info second-hand and is not a client of the original source/information company, liable to not share that info?
Hmmm...
The site that subscribes to the NPD and posts numbers they are not supposed to gets reprimanded. The journalist working for Kotaku goes about his day.
but Microsoft gave 1st party software/total software numbers for Sony after December 2013 NPD
Did Sony give those numbers out first? Maybe it was a mistake. Dunno. It doesn't happen often.
Theoretically *cough* if I have the ability to shake some trees and get certain information from sources, but I'm not the original client and I haven't signed NDA or anything like that, do I get in legal hot water if I post that info here?
Serious question for my future reference.
They (the source) gets in trouble. My initial post had somewhat of an error in it, I admit.
Hmmm... I don't think anything happens to the mouthpiece themselves if our previous leakers with names attached to them is anything to go by. But I wouldn't find it hard to believe that some pressure gets sent their way if the company wants to pursue and if they can they'll do their damndest to find some relation between the mouthpiece and the leaker that is their client. Considering Sprint knew my address I lived while I was attending college (My off campus address too!) and used that as a security question for my moms account, corporations can be scary.

If you want to do what you're theoretically talking about, do it. But do some more research on the risks you take.
Some people do, it's just a much smaller segment of the market than most people think it is.
Value proposition. It also helps against fence sitters.
Creamsugar wasn't the source himself?
Yeahs what's going on here? What happens to Aquamarine? Guy was a treasure trove.
Gal.

That's 3 straight NPD threads (October, November, and December)!

Theoretically *cough* if I have the ability to shake some trees and get certain information from sources, but I'm not the original client and I haven't signed NDA or anything like that, do I get in legal hot water if I post that info here?

Serious question for my future reference.

I'd imagine that you'd be legally fine in terms of NDAs, but your source would end up in hot water if they could find them. And I don't know if they have any additional legal protections on their data, which is theoretically possible.

Girl. Aqua was a she.

Bish banned evilore, a takeover is in process...

It was only a matter of time

Well that's just terrible all around. The email idea wad great, don't know why otgers couldn't just with it... but definitely does feel like this gif is appropriate

cbx5O2K.gif

Verendus

Banned
One day, people will realise this was Evolution's fault, and blame the people who really deserved to be blamed.

Evolution Studios.

Subsidiary of Sony Computer Entertainment. Based out of Runcorn, Cheshire.

don't know why otgers couldn't just with it

Because la viva humanity.

GAF is a better community than most places, but it's not as if we don't have our share of folks who don't read OP, drive-by trolls, people who say terrible things, ignorant people, people who thinks they're smarter than others without basis, idiots, etc.

Tldr; we're all terrible. /s

Radec

Cream and Aqua gone..

You fucked up gaf.

Now cancel the NPD speculation thread as well since where else are we getting the numberzz?

She took an Internet forum too seriously.

Spoiled entitled children not only screwed up our very very few sources of info, but also drove a terrific poster about batty.

Sorry Aqua. Enjoy your vaycay! Hope you come back, but if the stress is real, just don't give the wankers numbers. They can either get over it or get bent.

Just read the last few pages of the predictions thread to catch up. If you have the stomach for it.

Such a damn shame.

Goddamn, that's just awful. When Aquamarine herself is telling you that ir does help, how in the world can one come back and argue that it doesn't. Just blows my mind how dense some people can be. With that said, last thibg I'd want is any of the leakers getting in trouble.

Jinto

Once everyone got the hang of it, the email thing started to work really well. Anyone who asked were given the numbers in email tags rather than directed to search for the information themselves. You'd think that would make things easier.

I didn't know who Aquamarine was until last night. Apart from the leaks, she seemed really fun. People suck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom