• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for September 2015 [Up2: Nintendo Numbers]

Gwyn

Forza had that "play 1 week" early if you get the $99 digital version so maybe thats why it didnt chart

Anno

The steep drop in console sales is troubling. The hardware is too expensive? Lack of interesting titles? Lack of interesting features?

Bad comps it would seem.

Speaking as someone who's waiting to be woo'd into a console, though, I would say it's the lack of interesting exclusives thus far.

Siege.exe

spike lee doing work. dem frequency vibrations (lol even though thats like the worst part of the game)

$40 digital version I'm guessing? emotes weren't enticing enough to pay the full $60 hehe

$60 wasn't for emotes, $60 was for base game+TDB+HoW+TTK

Goddamn, I know Forza was never big in US, but did that game bomb hard or what? I don't think Horizon 2 sold a million yet either..

Glad to see NBA at the top. Totally deserves it for the month. Nice to see Mad Max showing up too. Wish we got more proper license games like these from people other than WB. So many Marvel IPs, 007 and etc left in obscurity...

Best wishes.

anothertech

Great job Sony. The exponential growth state of sales is starting to show I'm betting, even though it's down YoY.

October will be very interesting.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I would actually be surprised if console sales this christmas track ahead of last year, I think they'll be down. Xbox One might do pretty well in October I guess , thanks to Halo 5 but how much pull does that really have after last years Master Chief Disaster ?

Sony has no exclusives that matter coming out until next year so they'll just be maintaining status quo for a few months.

Sony has a price down effect and Star Wars and COD will be their sellers just based on overt marketing. Exclusives hardly matter as Forza 6 unfortunately just proved.

Even if they did, its not as if people care so much anymore about them to buy a new console. Bloodborne barely give the hardware itself a boost in the launch month. The whole "i'm not gonna buy a $300+ console for 1-2-3-4-5 games" mentality is much more prevalent now in the era of flash sales on PC.

botty

Banned
Woah! I was super sure Disney Infinity would push more than 500K with it having over a month + Star Wars behind it, alas.

Goddamn, I know Forza was never big in US, but did that game bomb hard or what? I don't think Horizon 2 sold a million yet either..

Glad to see NBA at the top. Totally deserves it for the month. Nice to see Mad Max showing up too. Wish we got more proper license games like these from people other than WB. So many Marvel IPs, 007 and etc left in obscurity...

Best wishes.

Marvel says there are more console announcements coming next year, for what that's worth.

BriGuy

I can't speak for everyone, but racing games are like a one per generation deal for me. They don't change enough to justify getting a new one year after year.

Best wishes.

The last line on the top 10 is Minecraft across 4 platforms. I think Forza probably did pretty well on 1 platform. I also think a lot of Xbox One games are sold digitally. I have yet to buy a single retail game this gen myself.

Bgamer90

Banned
Forza had that "play 1 week" early if you get the $99 digital version so maybe thats why it didnt chart

I don't think it would have charted either way though I do wonder how much of its sales are from digital and the XB1 bundle. I wouldn't be surprised if those two together come close to Forza 6 retail sales.

Bgamer90

Banned
I can't speak for everyone, but racing games are like a one per generation deal for me. They don't change enough to justify getting a new one year after year.

This is true for others too. Some are fine with just Forza 5 to get their "sim racing game fix" for the whole gen.

The genre isn't very popular here so therefore same-gen sequels aren't going to be greatly hyped/anticipated.

RowdyReverb

So if XB1 had higher TTK sales than PS4 because bundles didn't count, and the consoles combined sold 550k, then TTK sold more on PS4 by a fairly small margin.

Even if you suppose 350k of those combined sales were TTK+PS4 bundles, if that's enough to make the sales higher on PS4, then we're talking about a gap of <300k, conservatively. It's kinda crazy when you consider how much smaller the install base is for XB1.

Marvel says there are more console announcements coming next year, for what that's worth.

I have no faith in Marvel putting together actual non-shovelware software for consoles. That being said, some of their mobile offerings have been pretty decent. It's pretty obvious they are only in it for the money, (psychotically more so than others) and investing in proper console content requires a lot of effort and time and I doubt Marvel/Disney are bothered given how successful they are in other mediums. Crossing my fingers though.

The last line on the top 10 is Minecraft across 4 platforms. I think Forza probably did pretty well on 1 platform. I also think a lot of Xbox One games are sold digitally. I have yet to buy a single retail game this gen myself.

Cheers. I quit buying physical games just to avoid sales tax over here unless its used and cheap. I do wonder if Forza ever had a big presence in the US however. I know Gran Turismo 5 charted on NPD, but maybe the racing genre is dead as dirt in the US now.. Also I doubt Minecraft being number 10 matters given how that game has been selling like crazy for years now, constantly showing up on NPD.

Mastperf

I see Minecraft is still selling like crazy. It's a shame it still sells so well considering how slow the updates have been. There's only been one small content update for consoles since December. They've managed to get plenty of pay dlc out during that time but 4j Studios apparently can't manage porting parts of the PC version in a timely manner.

I would actually be surprised if console sales this christmas track ahead of last year, I think they'll be down. Xbox One might do pretty well in October I guess , thanks to Halo 5 but how much pull does that really have after last years Master Chief Disaster ?

Sony has no exclusives that matter coming out until next year so they'll just be maintaining status quo for a few months.
PS4 will be down this holiday despite a price cut?

Alebrije

Wow with those NBA and specially NFL numbers, thought MGS would win this month, I just hope it has some legs although at this point it does not matters since Kojima is out and Konami does not has interest on AAA games investment.

Farewell

Metal-Gear-Solid-V-1-730x411.jpg

Next month will be the real blood bath.

What's the estimated gap between PS4 and Xbox One in the US now? I wonder if that'll erode.

Also, Sony's quarterly report should be coming soon. I'm looking forward to getting updated figures.

timlot

Banned
FM6 bomba

Destiny is not in top 3 :D

Last racing game (minus Mario Kart) to debut in the top 10 was Forza 4 in 2011.

Since 2013
Gran Turismo 6 nope (on a system with 30 million US install base dec. 2013)
Forza 5 nope
Forza Horizon 2 nope
Driveclub nope
Project Cars nope (and it was multiplatform)

Top Bottom