• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[NX Gamer] Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart - PC vs PS5 vs Steam Deck vs HardDrives - 1st Contact

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member

With a return to my older, 1st Contact videos to enable the fastest release, I got code for Rift Apart only today and have spent a couple of hours on it tonight to get you the first numbers on PC performance. Steam Deck is first and then RTX2070 at Low settings 900P with a 7200 HDD, we can now test the hype and see if it was all the Emperor's new clothes or truth all along?

Chapters
0:00 Steam Deck settings and introduction
1:10 Steam Deck testing and play
9:27 PS5 SSD Testing across Internal, MP600 & Samsung 980 Pro
10:01 RTX2070oc 900p Low settings 7200rpm HDD tests

Darn, doesnt look playable on the deck. The 1 minute of gameplay looks really awesome, though. Probably one of the coolest game intros Ive ever seen.

8BiTw0LF

Banned
"Sony, Mark Cerny and Insomniac weren't lying"

No Way What GIF by Laff

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Ah, the issue is the loading time in the portals. That is supposed to be instant, right?
He's playing off a microSD card. Internal SSD does that first portal in ~4secs vs ~1.5secs on PS5. He’s also trying to run a PS5 game at 60fps for some reason. Insomniac/Nixxes included default Deck settings aiming for Medium@30fps and it looks and plays great outside of the big crowd scene for a bit(heavy res scaling).

Last edited:
He's playing off a microSD card. Internal SSD does that first portal in ~4secs vs ~1.5secs on PS5. He’s also trying to run a PS5 game at 60fps for some reason. Insomniac/Nixxes included default Deck settings aiming for Medium@30fps and it looks and plays great outside of the big crowd scene for a bit(heavy res scaling).
Thank you! That makes me feel much better

Raploz

Looks surprisingly playable on the Steam Deck. I wonder how they're using DirectStorage on Linux, though.

Zathalus

Not sure why NXG continues to test games on a GPU and CPU that are 20% slower then a PS5. The 2070 is almost 5 years old already. Alex isn't much better with his 2070 Super, but at least he throws in 30 and 40 series cards as well. Oh, and doesn't use a Zen 1 CPU either.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Not sure why NXG continues to test games on a GPU and CPU that are 20% slower then a PS5. The 2070 is almost 5 years old already. Alex isn't much better with his 2070 Super, but at least he throws in 30 and 40 series cards as well. Oh, and doesn't use a Zen 1 CPU either.
A 3600 is quite a bit better than an old-ass 2700. NxGamer only has the 2070-based system or his 6800 XT-based system for his comparisons. RT on AMD is still disabled so he cannot test it at the moment.

So either have huge amounts of RAM or a really fast SSD.
Both are incorrect. SSD speed makes little difference past a certain point. Any halfway decent nvme will do. Huge amounts of RAM aren't necessary either.

Last edited:

yamaci17

8 gb cards lose around %30-50 of their effective performance when they're VRAM limited too. but this is a concept that is too hard for nxgamer to understand. he thinks that 2070 is a package so he believes they're still comparable. it's like comparing a 2 gb 4090 to ps5 and saying ps5 has more processing power than the 4090 "chip". if the GPU chip is being bottlenecked by its memory, that comparison stops being a chip power comparison and becomes a whole system comparison instead

hence why he avoids the 3060 like a plague (because that would destroy %90 of his arguments )

Gaiff

hence why he avoids the 3060 like a plague (because that would destroy %90 of his arguments )
He doesn't have a 3060 and IGN seems uninterested in supplying him with one. Even his IGN comparisons are made using his own hardware. I'm honestly shocked IGN isn't giving him a bunch of stuff to test.

Bojji

The PS5 Cell Drive is only 1.5 seconds faster than a 7200RPM HDD?

You sure?

Many video creators made the "mistake" of recording "HDD test" when game was already loaded in system RAM by windows (so second time), that's why it looked smooth enough.

pc.gif

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I can't imagine why anyone would be using ssd nowadays... let alone HDD..
plugging in SATA CABLES ?! What is this 2008 ?!
NVME, on motherbard. Cables? never again.

Mr Moose

I can't imagine why anyone would be using ssd nowadays... let alone HDD..
plugging in SATA CABLES ?! What is this 2008 ?!
NVME, on motherbard. Cables? never again.
I've recently bought a 3500MB/s SSD for about £35, but I got a USB thing to put it in, so it's only about 1000MB/s :messenger_beaming: too lazy to put it in my motherboard.
I still use HDD for some older games (playing Broken Sword at the moment).

Gaiff

sata ssd is not cheaper than m2 ssd. onlly nvme is slightly more expensive.
fuck cables anyway
100% this. When I upgraded to my new rig, I made sure to choose a board with plenty of m.2 slots and this one has 4. 1 2TB nvme for the boot drive and 3 others in RAID for my games, and another 10TB external HDD for storage and backup.

My computer has never looked this clean. SATA would have required 8 cables for all these drives. I got 0. No clutter at all.

Topher

Gold Member
sata ssd is not cheaper than m2 ssd. onlly nvme is slightly more expensive.
fuck cables anyway

SATA can be m.2. There is also the fact that you have limited number of m.2 slots on your motherboard. I have both m.2 slots on mine filled with NVMe and have a third 3.5" SATA drive as well. I'm certainly not going to replace my motherboard to add more storage space so there are still legit use cases for non-m.2 drives.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
SATA can be m.2. There is also the fact that you have limited number of m.2 slots on your motherboard. I have both m.2 slots on mine filled with NVMe and have a third 3.5" SATA drive as well. I'm certainly not going to replace my motherboard to add more storage space so there are still legit use cases for non-m.2 drives.
I just said that.

Topher

Gold Member
100% this. When I upgraded to my new rig, I made sure to choose a board with plenty of m.2 slots and this one has 4. 1 2TB nvme for the boot drive and 3 others in RAID for my games, and another 10TB external HDD for storage and backup.

My computer has never looked this clean. SATA would have required 8 cables for all these drives. I got 0. No clutter at all.

Depends on your case, I guess. My 2.5" 3.5" SATA drive is stored behind the motherboard so it adds very little clutter to the open area of the case.

Edit: But yes, in your case of having four drives, I can see there being a lot more clutter with 2.5" drives.

8BYMuql.jpg

I just said that.

Eh.....you said "sata ssd is not cheaper than m2 ssd". If that's what you meant then ok.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Depends on your case, I guess. My 3.5" SATA drive is stored behind the motherboard so it adds very little clutter to the open area of the case.

8BYMuql.jpg

Eh.....you said "sata ssd is not cheaper than m2 ssd". If that's what you meant then ok.
Yes I said SSD - which means not nvme.
Sata is a form factor 2.5"
m.2 is a form factor m.2

First of all people who are comparing PS5 with RTX 2070 should know that recent games are mostly Vram bottleneck and CPU Bound first.

You should compare with PS5 with RTX 3060 12GB most the time.

Ray Tracing on 4k with DLSS 30+ FPS 90% of the time.
Other things matter as well not just Raw performance. PS5 API is very low level and it provide a better access to memory and CPU, which most of the recent games that are launching on PC are CPU and Vram Bottleneck not GPU bound.

Top Bottom