• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NY Gov. Cuomo proposes free tuition at New York state colleges for eligible students

Status
Not open for further replies.
A family making 130K a year in NYC isn't paying for their kid's college.

That barely enough to live comfortablely in NYC without government assistance for a family of 4.

A family of 4 making 130K a year is bringing home like 80K after federal tax + state tax + city tax + payroll tax + 401K + Health Insurance.

Expenses a month for someone living in an OK neighborhood in Queens.

Rent (2500)
Groceries (800)
Car Cost/Metro Card (500)
Utilities (300)
Eating Out (500)
Entertainment (500)

That's like 61,200 as year and its actually an understatement.

So that's only 19,800 for vacations, health emergencies, savings, major purchases (cars, TV, phones), gifts for birthdays and Christmas.

Its about 95k, plus child care incentives which bring this up higher and I'd assume savings would include putting away savings for children's college. And your costs are insane on a monthly basis. 500 for entertainment and eating out? That's a choice to not pay for college instead of cutting back on extravagance.

Crayons

Banned
Agree with not eating out. My wife and I don't anymore. But then again we're paying 1400 a month for daycare.

But the rest is bullshit. Really? You solution is "Move where it's not as expensive!" Sure, that's easy as pie with an elderly mother to live near and a disabled sibling to look out for. But sure....my wife and I should be able to find new jobs in our new area in a jiffy, lol.

2500 for rent for a family of four almost anywhere in Queens is insane.
I live in Queens and we pay half that

ColdPizza

Banned
Agree with not eating out. My wife and I don't anymore. But then again we're paying 1400 a month for daycare.

But the rest is bullshit. Really? You solution is "Move where it's not as expensive!" Sure, that's easy as pie with an elderly mother to live near and a disabled sibling to look out for. But sure....my wife and I should be able to find new jobs in our new area in a jiffy, lol.

What do you and your wife do?

numble

If you're paying $1400/month for daycare, shouldn't it be a bargain to pay $539/month in SUNY tuition when the kids are old enough for college?

Arkeband

Banned
A family making 130K a year in NYC isn't paying for their kid's college.

That barely enough to live comfortablely in NYC without government assistance for a family of 4.

A family of 4 making 130K a year is bringing home like 80K after federal tax + state tax + city tax + payroll tax + 401K + Health Insurance.

Expenses a month for someone living in an OK neighborhood in Queens.

Rent (2500)
Groceries (800)
Car Cost/Metro Card (500)
Utilities (300)
Eating Out (500)
Entertainment (500)

That's like 61,200 as year and its actually an understatement.

So that's only 19,800 for vacations, health emergencies, savings, major purchases (cars, TV, phones), gifts for birthdays and Christmas.

Okay, so let's take the Plattsburgh area, which has of the larger upstate SUNY schools, whose median household income is $34,460.

They'd kill for 57% of their gross income (the 19800 you've mathed out) to be complete funny money for vacations, presents, and major purchases.

I just find it insane that most people will benefit from this but who we're really concerned about is the people making six figures.

Think of the rich people!!!

Not when it costs $1,000+ Per month to insure said family.

The person "deducted" that out to get at 80k (which is likely far less than their take home).

And that 20k+ incidentals budget can't be hit by health care "emergencies" since the ACA caps OOP expenses at $14,300. So they still have $6k and likely more.

I just find it insane that most people will benefit from this but who we're really concerned about is the people making six figures.

Parents shouldn't necessarily have to foot the bill for their children's college tuition.

Then they wouldn't be on the FASFA and they'd get free tuition I'd assume. If you're parents are treating you like an adult then don't file as a dependent.

Crayons

Banned
I wish I had "only 20k" a year for vacations

lmao who am I kidding. generational poverty is impossible to escape from

When my family finally was financially secure we spent about $200 a week on groceries.

How big is your family, if you don't mind me asking. When I was living by myself I was at usually 350 a month or so on groceries, though, I thought I was over spending still. My mom usually told me about 10-13$ per day is what a person usually should have for food, when making a budget.

But like, grocery costs aren't as easy to know how much of difference there is between areas, like with houses.

ccbfan

Its about 95k, plus child care incentives which bring this up higher and I'd assume savings would include putting away savings for children's college. And your costs are insane on a monthly basis. 500 for entertainment and eating out? That's a choice to not pay for college instead of cutting back on extravagance.

I would love to see how you got to 95K.

Also have you even been to NYC?

Going to the movies in NYC is like 100 bucks for a family of 4.

A cheap meal for one person during lunch that's not a halal cart is like 10+.

A cheap sport event (Nose bleed seats at a Yankees or Mets game) is like 200 bucks.

So if nose bleed seat and going to movies is being extravagant then I'm not sure what to say.

Say what? You pay $1,250 for a multi bedroom apartment in Queens and you think that is normal? The average for a 1 bedroom in a bad area is like 1500+

How big is your family, if you don't mind me asking. When I was living by myself I was at usually 350 a month or so on groceries, though, I thought I was over spending still. My mom usually told me about 10-13$ per day is what a person usually should have for food, when making a budget.

But like, grocery costs aren't as easy to know how much of difference there is between areas, like with houses.

At the time 2 adults 4 kids. $200 is around what it costs to pick up deli meats, proper meat, veggies, snack food, drinks, ingredients for various dishes.

Stuff adds up quickly.

Same, I hear you. We had to move outta Brooklyn because with all these other folks moving in, rent got to expensive. When our lease came up we knew it was time to go.

If you're paying $1400/month for daycare, shouldn't it be a bargain to pay $539/month in SUNY tuition when the kids are old enough for college?

Agreed. $1400 for daycare sounds crazy, I get the best for your child and all. Some of you folks are living too good. You don't deserve free tuition. It should be only for the people who truly need it. Who truly struggle. Not every struggle is the same, if you're earning $125k in NYC you should be living ok. Even if you do have 4 kids. What about the folks living in East New York not even earning a quarter of that $125k a year with kids, and families and siblings who may also be disabled and parents who may also be sick or in need of assistance? Huh? What about those folks?

Don't wanna hear no story about a family making 125k in NYC and wanting a free tuition ride at a CUNY school were tuition is cheaper compared to its contemprary school systems like a SUNY.

Some folks be bugging.

A cheap sport event (Nose bleed seats at a Yankees or Mets game) is like 200 bucks.

This is such BS, as a Mets fan last year I went to a few games and got nose bleed seats, promenade section 525 me and a friend we paid $110. So don't come with that.

So if nose bleed seat and going to movies is being extravagant then I'm not sure what to say.

LOL you are straight up lying, or too lazy to use literally any ticketing service and getting ripped off HARD by scalpers. If you're paying $200 just for a crappy ticket.

Crayons

Banned

yes he's been to NYC. he lives here.
all of those purchases you're mentioning are not necessities. they're luxuries
and its not $200 for a met or yankee ticket
nor is going to the movies $100

Yes. This is a valid point. But to be fair the reason we use this place and pay the sky high cost is it's in the same building my wife works in. There are cheaper options but then my wife has to add a lot of time to her commute to drop her off and pick her up. I can't do it as I'm 2 hours away. And we can't afford to have just my wife work even though we'd both prefer that.

At the time 2 adults 4 kids. $200 is around what it costs to pick up deli meats, proper meat, veggies, snack food, drinks, ingredients for various dishes.

Stuff adds up quickly.

That sounds about right, I was just wondering if there was some huge price inflation in groceries around the country, like there are with houses. At least we haven't reached that stage.

Stay strong, you sound like a good dad.

When my family finally was financially secure we spent about $200 a week on groceries.

This is an large amount. And not how most people buy grocery. For a family of four that's 7$ a person a day. And these are groceries. Where you can get a meal for that family for $5.

Like I have no problem with people spending that much but to act like the state must support your largess and not realize that is a choice of saying that is more worthy of your expenses than college savings or tuition.

ColdPizza

Banned
Yes. This is a valid point. But to be fair the reason we use this place and pay the sky high cost is it's in the same building my wife works in. There are cheaper options but then my wife has to add a lot of time to her commute to drop her off and pick her up. I can't do it as I'm 2 hours away.

I hope you guys are at least using a dependent care FSA so you can put a max of $5k tax-free dollars towards that yearly daycare bill.

compo

Banned
If this passes, and my SUNY loans are forgiven, then that would seriously be the happiest day of my life. Granted, I doubt this will pass, and I doubt my loans will be forgiven, if so. But it's the small wishes and fantasies like this that make living with student loans possible.

Arkeband

Banned
LOL you are straight up lying, or too lazy to use literally any ticketing service and getting ripped off HARD by scalpers. If you're paying $200 just for a crappy ticket.

Regardless of whatever price he assigns to that, that's still the price someone upstate would be paying, in addition to the cost of transportation getting to that 'cheap' sporting event.

It isn't like upstate has their own Yankees, the things they choose to do in their free time cost the same as they would in the city. Luxuries are luxuries.

Big Blue

Yes. This is a valid point. But to be fair the reason we use this place and pay the sky high cost is it's in the same building my wife works in. There are cheaper options but then my wife has to add a lot of time to her commute to drop her off and pick her up. I can't do it as I'm 2 hours away. And we can't afford to have just my wife work even though we'd both prefer that.
Not criticizing you, but pointing out that this is the very definition of a luxury.

Kill3r7

I think he is implying buying 4 tickets to go to the game with the family. He is overpaying but not by much. Essentially an outing like that could easily set you back a couple of $200-$300 if you include food, souvenirs and the like.

This is an large amount. And not how most people buy grocery. For a family of four that's 7$ a person a day. And these are groceries. Where you can get a meal for that family for $5.

Like I have no problem with people spending that much but to act like the state must support your largess and not realize that is a choice of saying that is more worthy of your expenses than college savings or tuition.

You can get a "meal" consisting of bare essentials and starches. Yeah, a box of pasta is like $.80, but 6 people can't eat pasta and red sauce, rice and beans, and marginal proteins every day. We did that enough when we were below the poverty line. You can't force three teenagers and a smaller child to just eat crap every day because it's cheaper especially since one already has special dietary needs.

If this passes, and my SUNY loans are forgiven, then that would seriously be the happiest day of my life. Granted, I doubt this will pass, and I doubt my loans will be forgiven, if so. But it's the small wishes and fantasies like this that make living with student loans possible.

Loans are not going to be forgiven. Thats an impossibility, it'll be a going forward measure if anything.

Zoe

People are saying you don't have to eat out every day. You don't have to take the entire family to the movies all the time. You don't have to go to spring events all the time.

That you think you need to budget for all of that monthly shows you're living extravagantly.

I read that and it got me upset, but then I laughed. I'm like this is such BS. I paid $235 for NLDS against the Dodgers 2 years ago (the 3rd game which Kershaw pitched) granted that was a playoff game.

I think he is implying buying 4 tickets to go to the game with the family. He is overpaying but not by much. Essentially an outing like that could easily set you back a couple of $200-$300 if you include food, souvenirs and the like.

4 tickets to a nosebleed at Citi is $60-70. I'm looing at Stubhub for a Phillies game in mid-april right now. Factor in spending $35-40 on ball park food, you're still not spending $200 just for the tickets. Which was his statement.

I used a calculator
https://smartasset.com/taxes/new-york-tax-calculator#zgQISRJi4d

Going to the movies and paying for expensive sports seats not saving for college is a choice and not one the state should subsidize. Again, that's not a monthly expense. And if that's how 6 figure income's are treating it they're the real "entitlement culture" And you can go to a mets game for under 100 with a family of four.

I can get a decent lunch special for $6-7.

You can get a "meal" consisting of bare essentials and starches. Yeah, a box of pasta is like $.80, but 6 people can't eat pasta and red sauce, rice and beans, and marginal proteins every day. We did that enough when we were below the poverty line. You can't force three teenagers and a smaller child to just eat crap every day because it's cheaper especially since one already has special dietary needs.

I saw your follow up, and at 6 people. That makes a bit more sense. I was assuming four.

Do people not understand family of 4?

its 14$ for the cheapest "official tickets" stub hub can get that to $10

so 56$ for the tickets. lets be fancy and say you spend 10 for food and don't eat before. That's still less than $100. Plus they often have family plans that make this even cheaper.

Do people not understand family of 4?

I went to games at Shea with my family of 6 or myself, my brother, his brother and his son and still never paid $200 for tickets and we got Mezzanine level seats every game. I've gone to games at Citi with friends and we never paid $200 for tickets and food.

Nosebleeds at Citi are $10 a pop.

I'm looking at the StubHub page for them RIGHT NOW.

ccbfan

Going to the movies and paying for expensive sports seats not saving for college is a choice and not one the state should subsidize. Again, that's not a monthly expense. And if that's how 6 figure income's are treating it they're the real "entitlement culture" And you can go to a mets game for under 100 with a family of four.

That's equivalent to to saying welfare recipients shouldn't have iphones and eat nice food like steaks and seafood.

You forgot health insurance deductions and 401K.

those are all tax free (plus the fact that calculator doesn't account for children which increases that even more), and I still used your 80k

That's equivalent to to saying welfare recipients shouldn't have iphones and eat nice food like steaks and seafood.

No its not. The state shouldn't subsidize mets games (though I'd be open to them subsidizing a better team and paying the gods for less injuries) and movies every month. Thats different than food and a cell phone

Condom

That plus why should it matter? Everyone should be entitled to exactly the same level of education regardless of how much or how little their parents make.
Lol, that's not how income works so why do kids of well off parents deserve any financial help? Go ask them about cutting some of their salaries to give to the cleaners at their department and see their response.

cDNA

The problem with this is the student are not legible to be declared independent for their parents so easily even if the parents are not paying for the college, up 24 years old is not easy to qualify as independent in the FAFSA application.

This is the point as I myself got caught up in the baseball tickets things which isn't the issue here. This is the issue, in NYC families that are struggling, the last thing on their mind is how to pay for a darn baseball game. They're thinking about making their next rent payment, paying their next bill, thinking about how they're going to feed their children.

The last thing they're thinking about is paying $1400 for a daycare center because the cheaper options are further away and it's convenient to pay extra.

The folks who struggle, their kids stand the most to gain from CUNY proposing a free education. Not a family who earns 125k. That is all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom