• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Obama Donated Over $1 Million To Charity As President. Here's Where The Money Went

Status
Not open for further replies.

riotous

Banned
The general conversation about whether charitable giving should be a write off is an interesting one; but part of the benefit is the giving is significantly higher than the taxes the State loses out on.

Can a charity spend $1,000,000 more wisely than the state can spend the ~$400k in taxes they didn't get?

Overall I'd say it's probably a wash.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
I'd wager in the just society that Jeevesmeister desires, you'd be sent off to the re-education camp for such anti-social thoughts as that one.

I'm not going to live there. There's no place for me there... any more than there is for you. I'm a monster. What I do is evil. I have no illusions about it, but it must be done.

Brakke

Banned
The core of the problem here is the fact that simply giving to charity is not an inherently good or just action, as common liberal platitudes would simply assume.

This is a nonsense. Being "pro charity" isn't some partisan position. Lots of conservatives hang their hat on their charitable and private giving as an example of how we don't need state welfare programs, and lots of liberals are fierce critics of NGO interference especially in public sector work. The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, which is based about a block from where I live, is frequently protested and criticized from the left over some of its education programs.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
For clarity's sake, Gotchaye's civil and thorough deconstruction of the dumbfuck's ongoing horseshit was taking place in earnest, and he was not involved in the assclown's punting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom