• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ODDWORLD: NEW 'N' TASTY |OT| Save 99 Mudokons as The Stitch-Lipped One. Follow me!

Shin-Ra

I noticed unfiltered-scaling artifacts in the intro FMV (possibly others, I tried not to see it) and a weird sound reverberating during the
moon paw
video.

Against the night moon background in the Stockyards, some transparencies and other edges have a harsh bright outline which doesn't look deliberate.

Ummmm, just roll under the mines in the first picture sir :)

So roll under the mines, take the lift up, get a rock to blow up the mines around the password stone, then return to the native at the top of the lift...

Stew

The timing on that, both to squeeze under the moving mine and to avoid the gunshots of the Sligs in the background, is EXTREMELY tight. It took me 20 tries and was super frustrating. You have to chant to disrupt the sligs but then you are poorly positioned to roll under the first minds and you only have the briefest of moments to begin your roll, and if the moving mine is in the wrong position when you do your chant trick then the whole attempt is lost. I can't imagine that is business as usual.

Nearby to that area, there is a part where you must ride Elum and jump onto a platform with a sleeping Slig on it. If you jump late (as you would normally do to make sure you clear the gap), the Slig is awoken by your footsteps before you jump and kills you before you can make it off his platform. After 30 or so attempts at this I realized that jumping at the earliest possible moment (just barely enough to clear the gap) results in him waking up slightly differently and not shooting fast enough to kill you. The timing is so specific, like the above issue, that I can't imagine it is a deliberate puzzle.

I don't remember either of these areas being as hard in the original, which I have played fairly recently.

I have twitch/youtube archives of both of these areas that I can PM you if it helps.

Thanks

edit - also, there is a secret area in Paramonia in the left door on the bottom row of the trials room. It involves rolling to the right, disabling electricity (and turning on grinders) and then letting meat drop so you can run to the left to escape. Getting under these grinders is insanely difficult and you only have a few moments before the Paramites pounce on you. Again, not an area I remember taking 50 attempts in the original but I could be wrong.

Gekidami

Banned
This part is tricky, you're meant to roll under the mines but the sligs keep shooting you right?
If you chant you'll get zapped but it should be enough to panic the sligs for long enough to roll by.
Ummmm, just roll under the mines in the first picture sir :)

So roll under the mines, take the lift up, get a rock to blow up the mines around the password stone, then return to the native at the top of the lift...

Stew

Yeah, so i died and lost the chant thing, went back, noticed the lift was still gone. So i tried without. Thing is this time when i respawned the sligs were already panicked and running around (a bug?), in fact they were running for a lot longer than before.

But the first time it seemed to be impossible, the sligs just werent panicked long enough or getting the millisecond timing from chanting at the right moment so that the bomb would be in the right place when Abe got back up from being zapped, plus the time to duck & roll...

That part was pretty extreme, thats why it seemed like i had to do it another way. OTT hard.

But i'm by it now. :)

Finished it in one sitting! On Hard, the original game is woven into my DNA, although I confess I missed quite a few Muds this time round. Numbered thoughts:

1. Loved it overall, a really worthy remake. Visuals are so good they bring a tear to the eye of this old OW fan.

2. The new voice samples and random asides from both slaves and enemies were fantastic. "#If...I only had a bomb!" from the sligs has me in stitches, every time.

3. Even as a vet, found myself fighting the controls for much of the game. New jump mechanics fail me on an almost constant basis, and Gamespeak shouldn't have replaced directional movement entirely. 2D games should never have forced analogue control. L2 button is just sitting there unused, as is Triangle if you're on Hard. Its inexplicable why a classic control setup isn't there from the off.

4. A lot of the little nips and tucks to the gameplay were great. The bottlecaps, the chant suppressors and how they can be avoided, small changes to Elum and Mud behaviour etc.

5. I know it's been explained, but I still don't completely understand why shadows had to be replaced with steam. Weird addition. Feels like if a PS1 game from 1997 can do it, then a modern game should be able to. Steam makes way less sense to me, especially in Stockyards.

6. The story scenes have lost a little of the magic, although it's certainly close. I'm having a hard time favouring them over the PS1 originals, which is more a testament to the perfect direction of the old ones, more than anything.

7. Only had one crash, and no huge glitches. I did accidentally stop the ending sequence from occurring by Shrykulling the two sligs that appear to club Abe in the final boardroom scene. I just stood around on the platform for a while before reloading my last QS. I like to think of this as a super-skilled method and not a fuck-up. ;)

8. For some reason, the scrolling levels make the entire game feel much shorter, which in turn makes me feel it could've been padded out a lot more with new areas to compliment the scrolling, but then it wouldn't have been as faithful. Less a gripe, more an observation.

9. References to other games; A Splinterz sign from Munch, Soulstorm Brew bottles from Exoddus, a few Bolamites from Stranger.

10. Feels amazing to be in this world again. Did I mention the graphics are stunning?

Overall an awesome job from JAW, and their finest game to date. Sorry to whine about little things, but I gripe because I <3

Can't wait for Exoddus as it's one of my favourite games of all time. A bigger, better sequel in every single way.

nofi

This part is tricky, you're meant to roll under the mines but the sligs keep shooting you right?
If you chant you'll get zapped but it should be enough to panic the sligs for long enough to roll by.

Yep, thats what you have to do. At least on Hard.

Gekidami

Banned
Nearby to that area, there is a part where you must ride Elum and jump onto a platform with a sleeping Slig on it. If you jump late (as you would normally do to make sure you clear the gap), the Slig is awoken by your footsteps before you jump and kills you before you can make it off his platform. After 30 or so attempts at this I realized that jumping at the earliest possible moment (just barely enough to clear the gap) results in him waking up slightly differently and not shooting fast enough to kill you. The timing is so specific, like the above issue, that I can't imagine it is a deliberate puzzle.
And now i'm at this part... The first slig is easy, but the second one wakes up facing you.

Shin-Ra

The white edges in Free Fire Zone are deliberate, they're a moon glow basically.

Stewart
Even this?

iilYWNxV47kPx.jpg
Looks a bit harsh to me.

...New jump mechanics fail me on an almost constant basis,

Hey, so this is something we're talking about in the studio; it was changed for NEW players who expect that type of jump mechanic these days, it was also felt to be more in keeping with modern games in general.

Like I said, we're looking at it.

Gekidami

Banned
Came across what i assume is a bug at the start of Scrabanian Temple, the bit where there are a load of sligs in the background shooting towars you and at one point you have a red/green mine to disarm.

So playing on hard, i died MANY times here but at random respawns the health system kicked in and i could take one shot before dying (birds flew off of Abe). It did it sometimes, a few times in a row and at other times it went back to one hit kills.

Is this a bug or a "You've died too many times" help system? Judging by how random it was and the fact there was no warning, i assume it was a bug.

I've already bought, and am very excited to play, the game... But I've gotta say.. Doesn't seem like this game spent much time in QA.

It spent a pretty long time in there...

The crash issues were missed by everyone, including Sony US and EU QA teams :(

Oh well, we've found and fixed the issues, and as I've noted here, not everyone has had the issues, it seems to be around 1-2% of players.

oldmario

i kind of had a weird bug or 2 happen in the same area
this happened once but i couldn't do it again and the platform was below the screen and the tube at the bottom, anywhere around that i pressed square i was instantly teleported back into it which made getting the password extremely annoying and i ended up giving up and just guessing it

Stuart444

Doesn't seem like this game spent much time in QA.

I understand why but this seems to be a big misconception whenever people encounter a bug in games.

A game can spend lots of times in QA but when the game is pushed out to the public, bugs that never appeared on the Devkit test versions can appear.

If ANY game doesn't spend a long time in QA, you'd be seeing way more bugs than you are in this or any other game.

It's the nature of games development. All we can do is hope for patches whenever major issues are found.

(edit: Also I know this doesn't account for everything, sometimes companies, especially big ones see a bug but ignores it to get the game out in time.)

Hey, so this is something we're talking about in the studio; it was changed for NEW players who expect that type of jump mechanic these days, it was also felt to be more in keeping with modern games in general.

Like I said, we're looking at it.

The only problem I have with the jump mechanics (coming from a new player who expects standard jump mechanics) is the inability to input forward motion after starting a standing jump. Nearly every platformer I've ever played lets you move forward after starting a jump, whether you were moving beforehand or not.

The way it is currently, it just seems to make the gameplay more frustrating for no good reason as you have to be lined up pretty well with a ledge to jump up on it. If you're not lined up properly, you have to move over a little more and try again.

I haven't played it for a while, but I thought Munch's Odyssey handled jumping in a more natural way, but that could be my memory playing tricks.

Still, this game is otherwise exactly what I wanted it to be, so thank you for that.

It spent a pretty long time in there...

The crash issues were missed by everyone, including Sony US and EU QA teams :(

Oh well, we've found and fixed the issues, and as I've noted here, not everyone has had the issues, it seems to be around 1-2% of players.

Well at least you're on top of it, which is very much appreciated.

I am dying to play it, but can't seem to get a free moment to play. The agony!

Game crashed again, start back up

I'm done until it's fully patched. I already have the 55meg patched installed. I managed to get a cloud save from last night but that's a good few hours behind.

Hey Johnny,
Appreciate the honesty and the patience. More info tomorrow likely when I get a grasp on where we are exactly.

One thing to ask, you, and others actually, and I know this is a tough one to recall. But can you remember if you saw sligs in the scene when you did a quicksave, if so, can you remember if their visors were scanning?

cheers

Stew

Hey Johnny,
Appreciate the honesty and the patience. More info tomorrow likely when I get a grasp on where we are exactly.

One thing to ask, you, and others actually, and I know this is a tough one to recall. But can you remember if you saw sligs in the scene when you did a quicksave, if so, can you remember if their visors were scanning?

cheers

Stew

Oh I'm sure it will get there. It's one of my favorites so I'll definitely be back.

reminder

Man, this game is still so good. Takes me back right to 1997 when i played the original on the PS1. I was 13 years old back then.

Robot Pants

I've only experienced that one crash that apparently has already been fixed, but I wanted to say Stewarts presence in this thread has been amazing. Kudos to you good sir for addressing all of us and our problems directly.

N30RYU

Gold Member
DJtnFEr.jpg

Just in case somebody wanna know the Mudokons you may have at the end of each area.
Rupture Farms - 70/299
Stockyards - 111/299
Paramonia - 124/299
Scrabania - 135/299
Zulag 1 - 208/299
Zulag 2 - 237/299
Zulag 3 - 273/299
Zulag 4 - 293/299
End - 299/299

Not a single crash in the Eur version

DJtnFEr.jpg

Just in case somebody wanna know the Mudokons you may have at the end of each area.
Rupture Farms - 70/299
Stockyards - 111/299
Paramonia - 124/299
Scrabania - 135/299
Zulag 1 - 208/299
Zulag 2 - 237/299
Zulag 3 - 273/299
Zulag 4 - 293/299
End - 299/299

Congratulations sir :)

N30RYU

Gold Member
Congratulations sir :)
An amazing game as the original... now trying to lower my 7 hours playtrough to get the under 3h 100% trophy.

Also I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong but if I choose another slot when I start the game to start a new game to get the bad ending... even if I save noone in an area the game keeps the stats with all the mudokons saved.

May I have to backup my saved game and delete the save to start from zero?

Vash63

Ugh... So tempted to buy this on PS4 but want to wait for the PC release. Better graphics and Linux support have me sold. Never played the original.

I hope it uses SDL2!

Rflagg

DJtnFEr.jpg

Rupture Farms - 70/299
Stockyards - 111/299
Paramonia - 124/299
Scrabania - 135/299
Zulag 1 - 208/299
Zulag 2 - 237/299
Zulag 3 - 273/299
Zulag 4 - 293/299
End - 299/299

Not a single crash in the Eur version

well done

I just saved all the 70 mudokons of the first area. My god, some of the hideouts are really sneaky, I never even thought of them the first time I played the chapter.

This trophie must pop-up in the second temple you choose, either if the second is the Scrab or Paramite one.

I beat the game and rescued everybody and didn't get the trophy. It must have glitched :/

The leaderboard seems kinda buggy too. A lot of the time it's empty even in global. And it only shows I rescued 230 but I got them all and the trophy for it.

An amazing game as the original... now trying to lower my 7 hours playtrough to get the under 3h 100% trophy.

Also I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong but if I choose another slot when I start the game to start a new game to get the bad ending... even if I save noone in an area the game keeps the stats with all the mudokons saved.

May I have to backup my saved game and delete the save to start from zero?

ahem... fixed in next update, ahem ;)

I beat the game and rescued everybody and didn't get the trophy. It must have glitched :/

The leaderboard seems kinda buggy too. A lot of the time it's empty even in global. And it only shows I rescued 230 but I got them all and the trophy for it.

There is a weird thing with the leaderboard, I'm told that was addressed here already.

As for the end, does your save slot say 299?

Only suggestions I have at this point:

-add an option to tie game speak to L2 + dpad, and leave the alt phrases on R2. That way dpad can be movement.

-introduce a classic voices option. I miss Abe's old voices as well as the slugs.

-release a ringtone/text tone pack! :)

Really liking this despite the small issues though. True story: I got this game on PS1 when it came out because of magazine hype and a friends suggestion. I hated it within 30 minutes. My dad tried to return it but they wouldn't accept it. I gave it another go and fell in love. Me and a buddy pulled an all nighter taking turns with each death. Never beat it. (Got real hard when you return to the factory later on)

mattp

any clue when you guys will get some initial sales numbers? i realllllllllly want this to do good
exoddus and a new oddworld plz

Only suggestions I have at this point:

-add an option to tie game speak to L2 + dpad, and leave the alt phrases on R2. That way dpad can be movement.

-introduce a classic voices option. I miss Abe's old voices as well as the slugs.

-release a ringtone/text tone pack! :)

Really liking this despite the small issues though. True story: I got this game on PS1 when it came out because of magazine hype and a friends suggestion. I hated it within 30 minutes. My dad tried to return it but they wouldn't accept it. I gave it another go and fell in love. Me and a buddy pulled an all nighter taking turns with each death. Never beat it. (Got real hard when you return to the factory later on)

Awesome story about trying to return it and not being able to... ;(

Top Bottom