• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ODDWORLD: NEW 'N' TASTY |OT| Save 99 Mudokons as The Stitch-Lipped One. Follow me!

Zulag 1 on the return? It'll only save if you better your tallies - more Muds in particular. What happened exactly there?

Yes Zulag 1 on the return.

I certainly bettered the tallies of Muds. I believe I found all of them.

As for what happened. Best I can say is that I completed the stage with more Muds than I had previously, boarded the pod to Zulag 2 saw the save icon in the bottom right of the screen as the first room loaded up. Waited for that to disappear and then quit out using the menu. Went back in to Chapter Select screen to view the total Muds I did manage to save in the level and saw the same figure I had before I started? I know there is a manual save, but I have never needed to use it before now. And previously I have quit out doing this same procedure and not had a problem returning? If there is any more relevant detail you need then please ask away Nofi.

I would also like to state that I am not posting this up just to b*tch about it. I personally love the game and think it is a brilliant game that all should play. If I can help make the experience better for others by reporting the bugs I do encounter then I will. I have encountered other bugs, but they mostly disappear with a reload.

I was going to purchase this as I love Oddworld, but I guess I'd rather wait until the game is ready for release before I spend any money. Too many problems going on right now for me to feel safe.

Denur

Bug, that we're fixing in 1.03. It's likely you'll get a crash once the saves start dragging like that, and that's were most of the issues have been.
Thanks! I enjoyed the game very much (played on hard, missed three or four Mudokons in Zulag 4). It felt much like the original, which I must have played three or four times. Looking forward to an Exoddus remake.

We're not really seeing that - at least not across the whole game. Perhaps it's because it's not locked down to 60 or 30, but the guys tried hard to ensure that each area (at least) if not each level remained reasonably steady, although some (like Free Fire Zone) are more 30 than 60.

Is it any particular area or level?

It's right from the start, constant juddering and not smooth at all. A bit like playing a game at 35-45fps on a 60hz refresh rate on a PC. I'm not talking about slow-down, but constant judder. It drives me absolutely insane and I just can't enjoy it I'm afraid :(

(Well, it's my £18 down the drain to be fair.)

ScribbleD

David: What does error code CE-34878-0 indicate?
Daysi: I see, David. I'll check it for you.
Daysi: This error appears when an error has occurred with an application/game or system software.

Thanks for the helpful and specific information, Playstation support.

David: What does error code CE-34878-0 indicate?
Daysi: I see, David. I'll check it for you.
Daysi: This error appears when an error has occurred with an application/game or system software.

Thanks for the helpful and specific information, Playstation support.

Man that was very helpful. I love how they cover every possible angle there, lol. Must remember to never call them if I have a problem.

nofi

Any word on Patch 1.03? Waiting for everything to be ironed out before I push too far.

In with Sony just now and hopefully out tomorrow. Sorry about all this.

Fixes most things but we got another crash bug yesterday right at the very end if there are
explosions going into the credits video
which is easy to work around but needs to be sorted in 1.04...

ZeroX03

Banned
In with Sony just now and hopefully out tomorrow. Sorry about all this.

Fixes most things but we got another crash bug yesterday right at the very end if there are
explosions going into the credits video
which is easy to work around but needs to be sorted in 1.04...

That's okay. It's better that you guys are upfront and sorting the issues rather than staying quiet and us not knowing whether we will or won't see a patch.

nofi

That's okay. It's better that you guys are upfront and sorting the issues rather than staying quiet and us not knowing whether we will or won't see a patch.

The ideal situation would have been not to have any bugs/crashes, but we didn't manage that. The next best situation is to work like crazy to patch things in order of priority (this is the third in two weeks now, with another soon) and remain as transparent as possible about them.

So thanks.

Exactly. I personally am very impressed with JAW's engagement of the community. I wish more dev's did it. It certainly makes me empathise with you guys more. It's not like you are the big hitters that have huge teams and QA testing dept's. A little leeway is not untoward IMO.

nofi

Exactly. I personally am very impressed with JAW's engagement of the community. I wish more dev's did it. It certainly makes me empathise with you guys more. It's not like you are the big hitters that have huge teams and QA testing dept's. A little leeway is not untoward IMO.

I think if we weren't fixing like crazy and submitting patches twice a week, then sure - we'd be asking for it. But we are (literally) doing everything we can to get the PS4 version up to where it should be.

Not everyone shares your patience, but then not everyone should have to, right?

Not everyone shares your patience, but then not everyone should have to, right?

True to an extent. I tend to scale my patience & sympathy in direct relation to company size and how much they seem to give two shits.

Also, being a dad makes you patient in ways that you never knew existed until you are there ; )

ZeroX03

Banned
1.03 is live.

1.03 should be available the next time you start up Oddworld: New ‘n’ Tasty, and is another small (60MB) patch.

1. Elum can fall down gaps when getting him to follow you from a higher platform

Thanks to everyone that reported this particular issue, which is now fixed in 1.03. Elum is now much more self-aware and has lost some of his Lemming-like tendencies around gaps. This should make Paramonia and Scrabania much smoother to play through.

2. Elum can fall of the moving lift when moving to a higher platform

A few remaining instances of Elum walking off moving lifts in exceptional circumstances have been fixed in 1.03.

3. It’s possible to get Abe stuck chanting

Our intention to have any present birds flying towards Abe when he chants to top up his health resulting in a few ‘chant stuck’ bugs where the birds snagged on other objects (and even on Sligs!) meaning they’d never get to Abe, who was locked into chanting. This has now been fixed in 1.03.

4. Abe’s focus is not cleared on use of well

Anyone that had an issue where Abe would move around the screen after tapping Square will be happy to know this has been fixed in 1.03, and was caused by the game still thinking he was attached to a well.

5. The “No Place Like Home” trophy does not unlock if Chapter Select is used

We’re working through the one or two trophies that weren’t unlocking as some users had expected. The ‘No Place Like Home’ trophy will now unlock when Abe enters the final scene, not the final portal, which makes it slightly easier to obtain.

We’ll continue working with user feedback on the trophies.

6. Return (Zulag 2 onwards) QuikSave crash

Perhaps the most important fix, some users had reported the game locking up towards the end of the game when they QuikSaved. We’ve identified that this was happening when the player was around Sligs and Slig locks, and has now been fixed in 1.03.

Once again, we appreciate everyone’s patience and apologize for the errors present in the launch version of the game. Hopefully it’s clear that we’re working around the clock to get these fixed, and would like to extend our thanks to PlayStation who have been working with us to get things moving along as quickly as possible.

To demonstrate this commitment, following 1.03 will be a comprehensive update to the game that contains a large amount of minor fixes and some other more substantial tweaks and patches.

Arriving in the middle of August, 1.04 will include a reworked audio mix, changes to the way leaderboards record your best times, fixes to two rare but frustrating ‘death loops’ in one secret area, fixes to the potential crash at the very end of the game and a whole host of other changes to ensure New ‘n’ Tasty plays, looks and sounds as intended.

We’ll have full details of 1.04 when it releases.

quabba

The transparency from JAW is really impressing me. I bought the game on release and unfortunately haven't had much time to play it so I haven't experienced the bugs but I think if I had I would have been disappointed. However just reading the posts from the team where they are patching trophys and audio mix based on community feedback is outstanding.

nofi

The transparency from JAW is really impressing me. I bought the game on release and unfortunately haven't had much time to play it so I haven't experienced the bugs but I think if I had I would have been disappointed. However just reading the posts from the team where they are patching trophys and audio mix based on community feedback is outstanding.

Probably a fair comment, especially at launch. We've had people play through and platinum the game without a single bug, but we've had people had their PS4s crash hard on the first level due to something we hadn't anticipated people would do, so - yeah!

With 1.03 we've got just two issues left - both are fixed for 1.04 already as far as I know. A crash at the very end and an issue with getting stuck in one of the secret areas.

I think transparency is the only option. At least then people know what's fixed and what's coming. I've not tried the new audio mix yet but I do know the guys have worked pretty hard on it alongside the patches and the Alf Mission.

It's been a bit of a learning curve for us.

It's been a bit of a learning curve for us.

How come GoldenHelmet isn't here taking some heat too then? : P

He is all chatty leading up to the launch, bugs hit and *poof* he's gone ; )

I have returned to every area bar Zulag 1 (again) now and it has recorded all the extra Mud's I have saved with no issues. Just that Zulag 1 to do for all Mud's. I am so glad I did it on Hard difficulty too.

I have really enjoyed revisiting this classic game and do sincerely hope you JAW guys have enough to give Exxodus the same treatment.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Really enjoying the game, the nostalgia of playing something I know so well but isn't quite the same is cool. I went through most of it on easy just to get a feel for it but then decided to go through on hard to play it back like it was and saving everyone.

The only problems I had with it, besides some of the errors that have been fixed, is getting used to using the analogs to control Abe. I don't know what it is, but it doesn't feel as accurate as the d-pad does in the original, I keep rolling/walking too far or not far enough.The sound mix is also awful in cutscenes, can barely here the voices over the sound effects and music, but at least it is going to be sorted.

Analog is ok by me, and a logical modern adaptation. Removing the hop button that tons of environments are still built around, and replacing it with a button+tilt maneuver, confuses the hell out of me.

Analog is ok by me, and a logical modern adaptation. Removing the hop button that tons of environments are still built around, and replacing it with a button+tilt maneuver, confuses the hell out of me.

yeah this is still throwing me off too. but i'd say the one benefit here is that you can jump in either direction no matter which way you are facing

It's a bit of a shame that this game doesn't seem to have been a huge success, but I'll definitely buy it when it launches on Vita. Hope there's not too long to wait!

nofi

good to see the updates.
Any news on a frame rate fix or 30fps option?

Nothing yet, sorry. It'll be a little further down the line I'm afraid, if it's possible. 1.04 is due soon with a load of fixes, but not what you're specifically looking for here.

It's a bit of a shame that this game doesn't seem to have been a huge success, but I'll definitely buy it when it launches on Vita. Hope there's not too long to wait!

I'd say we're doing fine sales-wise, given the sole platform, but there's a way to go yet. The guys are working hard on the other versions, don't worry - hopefully not too long!

I'd say we're doing fine sales-wise, given the sole platform, but there's a way to go yet. The guys are working hard on the other versions, don't worry - hopefully not too long!

No worries, I'd read somewhere that apparently Stewart said sales were not as good as hoped, but not bad - and I took that to mean slightly disappointing. I appreciate it's early days yet, and there are lots more platforms on the horizon. I'll be there for the Vita launch.

Looking at the PSN sales for July

Oddworld was Number 2 for EU.
#6 in the US. The #1 game was Injustice Gods of Mungus (because it was on sale for $9.)

Unfortunately I think price is going to be the barrier for a long of people. I personally think the game is well worth it, but part of that is because I played and loved the original and knew how much work was going into this update. The average consumer doesn't know any of that, they just see a downloadable, '2d' platformer for $30 which probably strikes them as too high. I wouldn't be mad if they dropped the price to $20 at some point, I think it would help a lot.

I finally downloaded yesterday and thought i should post hoping that J.A.W are still viewing the thread.
Game looks great and the world is as wonderful as it was in 1997 but it's been a long time since i played such a glitchy game, and this is with the 1.03 patch.

I've had sounds disappearing randomly, both slogs and sligs at points don't make any noise even if i fire their guns, in rupture and the stockyards mainly but also in the mosaic lines when your taught how to chant to take over sligs, the sound went completely muted that time and i had to restart.
I had to reset my game twice times because of glitches, one in the stockyards secret room where 2 slogs chase you but for me they wouldn't even wake up unless you touched them which meant death. The other time my game just randomly froze in the stockyards.

The framerate is also a problem, but at this point i'd rather just play a glitch free game. Add me to the people in this thread earlier that have mentioned abes quiet voice and worse chanting sound.
Seems to me like wiiu, xbox and pc owners are the lucky ones, at least by the time it releases for those systems these problems should all be gone.
This game deserves better than this, really should have been delayed for a few months.

Mr-Joker

Banned

I don't know, the game was originally built around the D-pad for movement and using Analog just mess that up.

What they should have done is given is more control option instead just forcing us to use one.

nofi

I finally downloaded yesterday and thought i should post hoping that J.A.W are still viewing the thread.
Game looks great and the world is as wonderful as it was in 1997 but it's been a long time since i played such a glitchy game, and this is with the 1.03 patch.

I've had sounds disappearing randomly, both slogs and sligs at points don't make any noise even if i fire their guns, in rupture and the stockyards mainly but also in the mosaic lines when your taught how to chant to take over sligs, the sound went completely muted that time and i had to restart.
I had to reset my game twice times because of glitches, one in the stockyards secret room where 2 slogs chase you but for me they wouldn't even wake up unless you touched them which meant death. The other time my game just randomly froze in the stockyards.

The framerate is also a problem, but at this point i'd rather just play a glitch free game. Add me to the people in this thread earlier that have mentioned abes quiet voice and worse chanting sound.
Seems to me like wiiu, xbox and pc owners are the lucky ones, at least by the time it releases for those systems these problems should all be gone.

Hi there, still reading.

1.04 (which is with Sony right now) fixes a lot of the audio mix. I don't want to say which bits because the truth is I'm not entirely sure, but there's a fresh levels mix in there which should solve some issues you had.

Edit: Just been told it doesn't fix any missing audio, just existing audio levels.

1.04 also fixes the Stockyards/Free Fire Zone secret area level glitch.

No framerate fixes yet though - which bits in particular?

This game deserves better than this, really should have been delayed for a few months.

I'll pass on your feedback. Sorry it didn't live up to your expectations.

Ugh I've still only played the first bit of the game. I keep holding out for more patches and it's killing meeeee

We're hoping 1.04 (or rather, 1.05 as they're both coming together in one patch) will solve pretty much everything. That's the hope. There's 26 or so fixes on the changelist.

I don't know, the game was originally built around the D-pad for movement and using Analog just mess that up.

What they should have done is given is more control option instead just forcing us to use one.

A few people have commented that the controls are an issue. We're looking into them, but no promises at this stage, sorry.

Pyrrhus

I finally played the PS4 version of New 'n' Tasty a couple of nights ago (via a generous redemption code from GoldenHelmet). I just wanted to drop in and publicly state for anybody else who may have been wary about buying the game (because of some issues with the previous releases like the Oddbox), well, don't be worried.

This game's the real deal. It looks and sounds good both in its faithfulness to the original Abe's Oddysey and in its own right, it runs well, and the additions to the game and interface are well considered and only add to the experience. Based on the stellar community interaction and the quality of the game itself, my opinion of JAW is pretty much completely reformed. Buy with confidence if you were holding back because of past titles.

bumpkin

Given the Wii U is my primary console, I'm waiting for the release of 'New 'N' Tasty' for that system. I honestly can't wait. :)
I got it on PS4, but I'm totally planning to double dip on the Wii U.

Nice!

Before I watch the trailer though, are there any spoilers for someone who hasn't finished New & Tasty yet?

nofi

Before I watch the trailer though, are there any spoilers for someone who hasn't finished New & Tasty yet?

I think I used pretty much the same sections as from the launch trailer. Some cut-scenes, a few snippets of gameplay.

To be sure, just watch from half way for the Alf stuff. :)

Danlord

Patch 1.05 is live everyone, and it's big!

We’re happy to announce that a new update for New ‘n’ Tasty – version 1.05 – is now available for download for the game. This incorporates patch 1.04, which was unreleased.

Simply start the game whilst your PS4 is connected to the internet to get the update, or let the PS4 start the download of the update itself.

Official Post HERE

A couple of fixes, check out the full list.
1. Unresponsive Slogs
A small percentage of players reported that they couldn’t get a second Slog to follow them whilst possessing a Slig. This is now fixed in 1.05 and Slogs should be as attentive as required.

2. Fixes to Spirit Rings
It was previously possible to get two Spirit Rings at the same time towards the end of the game. This has now been fixed.

10. Pulling the shut off valve at the end of the game too quickly broke the game ending
Oh the irony. Fixed in 1.05.

20. There was no fart effect when riding Elum!
Our most requested fix since the one that didn’t let you play the game unless your real name was Steve.

27. Fixed two potential “death loops” in a Free Fire Zone secret area
This was a big one, and caught a few people in a situation where they had to restart the chapter to get out of the secret area. We’ve made adjustments to the layout of the area, which should stop Abe getting stuck.

Version 1.05 also contains a dedicated remaster of the audio balancing from our partners at Somatone, which should provide a much richer audio experience for players.

Huge fixes and an audio remix, which explains why the patch size is so large (~2.75GB!) as well as support for the DLC, Alf's Escape

The patch is available now for PS4, and due to the content, audio and support for future expansion, comes in at approximately 2.75GB.

ZeroX03

Banned
Downloading it now.

Time to finally buckle down and Platinum this bad boy. Thanks heaps team at OI/JAW!

EDIT: Will Alf's Escape have trophies?

ZeroX03

Banned
No, sorry. Leaderboard, but no trophies.

Emoticon_sad.gif

Top Bottom