• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ODDWORLD: NEW 'N' TASTY |OT| Save 99 Mudokons as The Stitch-Lipped One. Follow me!

LastNac

doubt it's that high just on one platform
vita and especially steam are gonna bring in a huge boost, i think(i hope)

I don't think so according to the CEO reaction ("could be better, could be worse"), but hopefully after Steam and other versions releases they can do enough to warrent the remake for the sequel.

I certainly think the four other releases are going to boost it sales wise. I wonder though, if the 500,000 is reached does that mean we are going to get Exodus as well as a new game?

mattp

I certainly think the four other releases are going to boost it sales wise. I wonder though, if the 500,000 is reached does that mean we are going to get Exodus as well as a new game?

i think they said 500k was for exoddus. and 750 or 1mil for a new game
but i would assume if they do exoddus, the money from that would go towards a new game too

Gurish

I have a question, if i beat the game and get the bad ending can i still go through chapter select and get the good ending or i need to start the game over?

Mr-Joker

Banned
That really doesn't sound good. I kind of expected this game to struggle to be honest. I think a lot of people are put off by a downloadable game being so highly priced.

Yeah I would imagine sales will pick up when it get released on other system and when it game goes on sales.

Honestly speaking the price was asking too much when people are use to paying less.

SpokkX

Just wanted to say that this game is just amazing

Missed out on the original (wanted to get it on psx but never happened)

Just oozes style and i love the mix of platforming and puzzles. The new graphics are great also

Easily worth the high prize imo

Robot Pants

Been thinking about what new clever title they can use for the Exoddus remake. Just how new n tasty isn't just Abe HD.

Don't think. Drink.? - that one is rough
Brew n tasty?
Brewin' Tasty? - I kinda like that one

reminder

Ok guys, although i played the game back in 1997, i've never actually finished it. Until now. But i got the bad ending...

So, i could now select the chapters and save all Mudokons, play the last level again and i get the good ending, right?

mattp

Been thinking about what new clever title they can use for the Exoddus remake. Just how new n tasty isn't just Abe HD.

Brew n tasty?

i honestly just kind of figured they'd call it New 'n Tasty: Abe's Exoddus

edit: oh wait, is the official title of the game Oddworld: New 'n Tasty? haha nevermind then. for some reason i thought it was new n tasty: oddworld

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!

Brew n tasty?
I dont know about the title but I'd like this to be a tagline in trailers and whatnot:

You can even possess your own farts and blow stuff up. No other game has it. No other game wants it.

I always found that quote hilarious for some reason.

mattp

i wonder if JAW will be able to get an exoddus remake finished faster than oddysee took since they have the engine up and running now

JoshHood

I know it's not always doable for indies, but I feel like this would probably have done better with a simultaneous release (even if just the PlayStation ones), as that'll likely make more noise than a slow trickle. But that's just my thoughts.

Gangxxter

Brew n tasty?
Someone dropped the name "Cool 'n' Refreshing" here in this thread, but I forgot who it was.
I really like that title.

EDIT: Praise the search function, Gekidami came up with that name.

I got on some lift thing and went to Zulag 2, went back for some guys I missed then accidentally found myself outside with no way back in to the factory.
I feel like ive missed a lot. Have I?

if you left rupture farms after the first chapter, all the mudokens you left there are now dead, that should be indicated to you right away in the stockyards on a sign

New n Tasty was a clever reference but I wouldn't mind a "real" title next time though, something with a little more weight. Like how Abe's Oddysee and Exodus sounded like grand adventures.

sheaaaa

if you left rupture farms after the first chapter, all the mudokens you left there are now dead, that should be indicated to you right away in the stockyards on a sign

Just started the game and fell into this trap. 50 Mudokons dead. Absolute bullshit game design.

Tizoc

Just started the game and fell into this trap. 50 Mudokons dead. Absolute bullshit game design.

Not really no, pretty sure it was like that in the first game. Heck players back then wouldn't even know the significance of saving the Mudokons and since you had various ways of killing them prob. just messed around killing them :p
Heck the game CAN be finished with under 50 Mudokons saved and you still got an ending.

oggob

Nope... the game is littered with secret areas if you choose to seek them out... the fact that the game doesn't hold your hand to show you where every one of them is is one of the best things about it. Keeps the game fun, interesting, challenging... I would hate to see it dumbed down to today's standards.

Plus, the sign as others have mentioned.

sheaaaa

There's a giant fucking sign that's highlighted by the camera angle warning you about this. Don't blame the designers for your lack of paying attention.

There's a sign saying Stockyards. Unless I'm missing something, how would I know it's a point of no return? I don't know how the game is structured, it's normal to assume I'll be able to come back.

It's just grating when I've tried to save all the Mudokons, only to turn one way and have 50 die at once, with no way of heading back.

ZeroX03

Banned
There's a sign saying Stockyards. Unless I'm missing something, how would I know it's a point of no return? I don't know how the game is structured, it's normal to assume I'll be able to come back.

It's just grating when I've tried to save all the Mudokons, only to turn one way and have 50 die at once, with no way of heading back.

zxjfwy.png

Robot Pants

Whoops. I saw that but didn't make the connection. I didn't think I was escaping, just moving to a different part of the farm. Sorry for the stupidity everyone!

Like we said, going through the game the first time, it's gonna happen.
Don't worry about saving them all your first run, you're gonna miss some. A lot actually.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Nope... the game is littered with secret areas if you choose to seek them out... the fact that the game doesn't hold your hand to show you where every one of them is is one of the best things about it. Keeps the game fun, interesting, challenging... I would hate to see it dumbed down to today's standards.

Plus, the sign as others have mentioned.
I'm gonna be honest. I prefer the Abes Exoddus method of having some bottles on screen to indicate there's a secret area nearby. You still have to seek out the secret, but at least then you know whether you missed one or not.

Daffy Duck

How are you supposed to know where the secret trap doors are?

Like the one at almost the very start (trap door) is there some sort of clue in the area?

I want to get all of them, but don't want to sit and follow a video guide on my first play through.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
How are you supposed to know where the secret trap doors are?

Like the one at almost the very start (trap door) is there some sort of clue in the area?

I want to get all of them, but don't want to sit and follow a video guide on my first play through.
You dont know. You cant know. You're just gonna have to explore as much as possible, try and go anywhere and interact with anything that looks suspicious. You're even going to have to experiment with bits that look like instant deaths like the trapdoors you can kill mudokons in near the start. Like I said I prefer the Exoddus method of indicating when there's a secret nearby.

Denur

When there are dark areas or smoke, say "Hello" to find out if there are any hidden Mudokons and crouch & role to the left or right near walls to find any hidden passages.

oggob

I'm gonna be honest. I prefer the Abes Exoddus method of having some bottles on screen to indicate there's a secret area nearby. You still have to seek out the secret, but at least then you know whether you missed one or not.

That's fine also because the game never tells you outright that "bottles = secret", that is something that the player can intuitively pick up on as they play through the game. The bottles also fit into the game also seeing as the Mudukons are "addicted" to the stuff.

It was a very subtle hint they put into the game back then and if you never picked up on it, then the game was no different to Oddysee which is what I liked.

I honestly think that was also added because they went from 99 to 300, so it was easier to miss Mudukons.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
That's fine also because the game never tells you outright that "bottles = secret", that is something that the player can intuitively pick up on as they play through the game. The bottles also fit into the game also seeing as the Mudukons are "addicted" to the stuff.

It was a very subtle hint they put into the game back then and if you never picked up on it, then the game was no different to Oddysee which is what I liked.

I honestly think that was also added because they went from 99 to 300, so it was easier to miss Mudukons.
I wish they used that same logic when upping the count to 299 with this game. Well at least we can replay individual chapters this time to get ones we missed instead of having to do the entire game from scratch.

nofi

I wish they used that same logic when upping the count to 299 with this game. Well at least we can replay individual chapters this time to get ones we missed instead of having to do the entire game from scratch.

For what it's worth, the Directory maps also highlight any trap-doors in Zulag 1... :)

Balls. I got the 50 dead mudokons too. I hadn't killed any either so I was wondering what had happened! My bad, I'll save them all on my second playthrough :)

You're welcome. You can thank me properly when you're done with your "hard" playthrough. Playing this game on anything other than hard is like playing Max Payne 3 with lock on aiming.

I'm glad I sated your pathetic need to control what others do. Have fun spending time worrying about what others are doing instead of actually enjoying the game. Policing the internets must be so tiring.

Finished the game earlier, and got the good ending. Everything i remember about the original holds true to this game, and the enhancements make it even better. Eager to play some more to try and get all 299...eventually.

Help!

I'm stuck on one of the doors in the Paramites temple, it's the second door on the top level (the part where you're trying to light the fires). The setup is you start on a ledge, down to the right is a crawl way loaded with mines that can't be deactivated. Down to the left are two sligs that are too far away to possess. I can't figure it out.

Shin-Ra

Help!

I'm stuck on one of the doors in the Paramites temple, it's the second door on the top level (the part where you're trying to light the fires). The setup is you start on a ledge, down to the right is a crawl way loaded with mines that can't be deactivated. Down to the left are two sligs that are too far away to possess. I can't figure it out.
Not sure where you are exactly but can you grab the attention of a Slig and lure it closer to a high, safe ledge so you can possess it?

Shin-Ra

I can't seem to be able to do that, in this case. When I get close they shoot, they never chase.
If you still need help, post a screenshot and we might recognise the challenge room.

ib0WaW8SQJhRvv.gif

15 types of Slig death success!

I deleted all my New 'n' Tasty saves and started afresh.

Not sure where you are exactly but can you grab the attention of a Slig and lure it closer to a high, safe ledge so you can possess it?

If you still need help, post a screenshot and we might recognise the challenge room.

ib0WaW8SQJhRvv.gif

15 types of Slig death success!

I deleted all my New 'n' Tasty saves and started afresh.
Ok I figured it out although it was a little weird, I was able to start chanting and then run and jump to safety, a tactic I don't remember having to do in the original but it worked.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Ok I figured it out although it was a little weird, I was able to start chanting and then run and jump to safety, a tactic I don't remember having to do in the original but it worked.
I've had a few instances similar to this where the game forces you to use unconventional methods to progress, and it doesn't feel like it's on purpose. It feels more like the balance of certain things are a bit off.

Top Bottom