• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ODDWORLD: NEW 'N' TASTY |OT| Save 99 Mudokons as The Stitch-Lipped One. Follow me!

bender

What time is it?
Well, I found a puzzle room that you can get stuck in the second chapter. I'm at 104 rescued and there is a puzzle involving two sleeping slogs. If you trigger the electrical fence, leave the puzzle room and then come back in, you'll be stuck between the slogs (which I'm having difficulty getting to trigger) and that electrical fence. I'm also not sure what good the quick save function does in the game. I had to restart the chapter. :(

edit: It seems like short of making physical contact, the only thing that will trigger them to wake up is the initial run past the checkpoint beacon. If you die and the room, they will not wake up unless you run into them.

edit 2: sometimes one of the slogs wakes up and not the other but it seems like you can wake up the second without restarting the room/running into him.

MisterM

I loved this on the PS1, I don't know whether to be patient and wait for the Steam release or buy the original or the Vita PSOne version. :(

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I started with Munch at Xbox launch and never went back to play this.
It's brutally hard compared to the ones I've played, lol.

More than anything, what really stands out about Oddworld: New 'n' Tasty! is the sheer coherency of the original design. It was startling back in 1997 on the PlayStation when games did not often turn up with proper themes to think about, and it's still just as startling in 2014, to be honest, where the grace with which the plot unfolds and the relevance it still has for the real world remain something of an anomaly. This is a story-driven game in which neither game nor story are made to suffer because of the close proximity of such traditionally toxic partners. It's a game in which the mechanics emerge from the central character - from his weakness in a straight fight, from his need to out-think foes who are more powerful than him, but also more stupid.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-07-21-oddworld-new-n-tasty-review

9/10

Killer

Banned
Watching your stream... JUST ROLL RIGHT UNDER THE BOMBS :)

Thanks man! that was the only part i had trouble with. I must have drove some people at the studio nuts lol.

The game is great. Love the art and it really captures the magic and feel of the original game.

Hope you guys continue making new Oddworld games :D.

Robot Pants

Absolutely loving this.
Missed a bunch of secret Mudokons in rupture farms but seem to have found all the other secret ones since. This game is great! Just as good if not better than the original!

MisterM

Not entirely accurate... Wikipedia is a bit of a hodge podge of truth at times.

We aren't talking about release dates on any other versions just now.

We're busy working on them though :)

Steam first pls. You know it's the right choice :D

Congrats on making such a great remake*, I can't wait to play it.

*from impressions

This is awesome so far, it's funny how i still remember certain tiny details after 15 years, such a unique and interesting world. I initially thought total graphical overhauls we're a bad idea but it works so well with this game, i'd actually like to see it done more often now.

GoldenHelmet, what's the deal with the timing on deactivating bombs? Was it harder than I remembered in the original, or did you guys make it tougher? I blew myself up about 10 times before I finally got it and I consider myself a fairly experienced Abe's Oddyseer.

Shengar

GoldenHelmet, what's the deal with the timing on deactivating bombs? Was it harder than I remembered in the original, or did you guys make it tougher? I blew myself up about 10 times before I finally got it and I consider myself a fairly experienced Abe's Oddyseer.

I haven't seen stream footage, nor playing it, but I guess since it have 3D models now the animation took a longer time to exectue the actions? Just a guess.

LastNac

Picked it up, largely to play an OddWorld game again and also too be 1/500,000 in hopes of funding an all new game.

Abe is the man, sure, but I hope we get to see Munch again.

N30RYU

Gold Member
Not entirely accurate... Wikipedia is a bit of a hodge podge of truth at times.

We aren't talking about release dates on any other versions just now.

We're busy working on them though :)

Can't wait for the EU release... literally CAN'T WAIT... SO GIVE IT TO ME NOWWWW
*throws money at the screen*

Gurish

Bought it as well, what did i miss for not pre-ordering it from the store? :)

Anyway i played it as a child on PS1 and it was amazing! but l failed to finish the game and didn't know what to do at some point.

I hope that today when I'm maybe less dumber than i was as a child i could figure that part out, Do you i think i should play at original difficulty, considering i didn't manage to finish it and all?
I think i wasn't stuck at some puzzle, i just didn't know where to go at the time and what i supposed to do next, must have missed something, i hope I'll be able to finish it this time cause there is nothing more than i hate than using a guide :(

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
It's interesting that this game supported preload. It was just there to play it right after midnight for me. Excellent remake, they did a really great job.

Bought it as well, what did i miss for not pre-ordering it from the store? :)

Anyway i played it as a child on PS1 and it was amazing! but l failed to finish the game and didn't know what to do at some point.

I hope that today when I'm maybe less dumber than i was as a child i could figure that part out, Do you i think i should play at original difficulty, considering i didn't manage to finish it and all?
I think i wasn't stuck at some puzzle, i just didn't know where to go at the time and what i supposed to do next, must have missed something, i hope I'll be able to finish it this time cause there is nothing more than i hate than using a guide :(
An Abe skin and a separate level/challenge you select from the menu. Nothing that affects the core game.

I'd probably suggest normal for most people. I played the game a lot back in the day, but I'm rusty and I'm finding hard very difficult (satisfying in it's own way though.)

Gurish

An Abe skin and a separate level/challenge you select from the menu. Nothing that affects the core game.

I'd probably suggest normal for most people. I played the game a lot back in the day, but I'm rusty and I'm finding hard very difficult (satisfying in it's own way though.)

But Normal doesn't give you hints on where to go when you're stuck right?

So it won't help me, if I know what i need to do i think i can deal with it, even on Hard, the problem is when i don't know.

Just got to the
temple

Love love love the game, however I do have a couple of nitpicks. The first is as the bomb timing being very difficult, although that could be a function of me playing on hard. Maybe it's more forgiving on other difficulties. The second is that the default audio mix is such that it's really hard to hear Abe's dialogue. I ratcheted the sound effects to 25% and the music to 50%, with voice at 100%, which helps a lot but I don't think the average user is going to do that and I hate the idea of people not getting to hear his story.

Alf's Quest

I had this to automatically download from the pre-order and it tried to download this morning but an error keeps happening. Anyone else having this issue?

NateDrake

Am I the only person finding the jump to be a little too loose? I do a long jump and it feels like his forward momentum takes Abe off nearby edges.

bender

What time is it?
I'm playing on normal but I haven't had any issues with disarming mines. Is the pattern the same on harder difficulties (red blip, small green blip, red blip, longer green blip)?

I do think they room I mentioned above needs to be patched. The AI triggers are broken if you die in the room and are inconsistent in the first place.

S1kkZ

so, how consistent is the framerate? i read some impressions that it has issues with dropped frames and stuttering.

Alf's Quest

I had this to automatically download from the pre-order and it tried to download this morning but an error keeps happening. Anyone else having this issue?

Wait I see on the PS Blog that it will be released at a later date? Why the hell would it start downloading now then?

I'm playing on normal but I haven't had any issues with disarming mines. Is the pattern the same on harder difficulties (red blip, small green blip, red blip, longer green blip)?
Yep. When I hit square when the long green blip begins I was too late every time. I succeeded when I timed it in my head and press square just before it goes green.

Assuming I'm not just really bad at it, and you're not just really good at it, it sounds like it is easier on normal. That's a good thing as I imagine most people will be playing it on normal.

so, how consistent is the framerate? i read some impressions that it has issues with dropped frames and stuttering.
I personally haven't noticed but I'm not super perceptive about framerate drops. I do notice a lengthy freeze when warping from one area to the next though.

Wait I see on the PS Blog that it will be released at a later date? Why the hell would it start downloading now then?
That's right, it shows up in your library since you preordered the content but it's not actually ready to be downloaded yet.

this game is amazing. a wonderful recreation of the game i loved 15+ years ago. having the exodus quick save is awesome.

i'm playing on hard. i think that's the only way to go for vets like myself :)

Loomba

Just played on my EU account and it says playing "ONNT PS4 SCEA" I'm not gonna get in trouble for playing this on my EU account I'm I?

Does it say the same for everyone else?

That's right, it shows up in your library since you preordered the content but it's not actually ready to be downloaded yet.

Just very odd that it appeared in my download list attempting to download the file and then resulting in an error. Seems the auto-download for it may be broken?

Gekidami

Banned
Wait it's not out until tomorrow in Europe? What kind of crap is that for a digital download?
I've checked the store a few times just in case, but yeah, store update for Europe is Wednesday.

I didnt even see the option to pre order this either. Hope i didnt miss out on the extra content.

bender

What time is it?
Yep. When I hit square when the long green blip begins I was too late every time. I succeeded when I timed it in my head and press square just before it goes green.

Assuming I'm not just really bad at it, and you're not just really good at it, it sounds like it is easier on normal. That's a good thing as I imagine most people will be playing it on normal

I blew myself up a few times so I'm not amazing at the game. You just have to press the button during the second red blip. Maybe it is more difficult on hard. I've had my struggles in other areas of the game (rolling under a fast moving meat saw). I must have killed myself 10 or 20 times.

Danlord

For an Amazing remake... surely the best remake to date with REmake.

Honestly I'd have paid $60 for a disc version, I think this is a steal even if it is more expensive than most downloadable games.

I think he's implying he's going to get it. I'm excited, and a little jealous I have to wait just a bit more to play it. Still, I'm happy with the impressions I'm getting so far.

Edit: Can someone answer me whom is playing it, is the chanting sound muted compared to the original? I watched a video of the chanting and it doesn't sound anywhere near the same style (or volume) from the original and its an iconic chant for me, just wondered if it has radically changed or the video's audio was iffy.

I think he's implying he's going to get it. I'm excited, and a little jealous I have to wait just a bit more to play it. Still, I'm happy with the impressions I'm getting so far.

Edit: Can someone answer me whom is playing it, is the chanting sound muted compared to the original? I watched a video of the chanting and it doesn't sound anywhere near the same style (or volume) from the original and its an iconic chant for me, just wondered if it has radically changed or the video's audio was iffy.
I know, I was just affirming that the game is worth it.

As for the audio, here's a post I made earlier about it:
...the default audio mix is such that it's really hard to hear Abe's dialogue. I ratcheted the sound effects to 25% and the music to 50%, with voice at 100%, which helps a lot but I don't think the average user is going to do that and I hate the idea of people not getting to hear his story.
The same goes for the chants, all the voices were hard for me to hear until I adjusted the various volume sliders.

Top Bottom