• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ODDWORLD: NEW 'N' TASTY |OT| Save 99 Mudokons as The Stitch-Lipped One. Follow me!

Wasp

I do think the price is a tad high which might hit sales but I will buy this day one anyway, also luckily it's out on my first day off work.

Abe's Oddysee was the very first game I played on PS1. That was definitely a trial by fire. I went from the Mega Drive which had just three face buttons to a PS1 with all those shoulder buttons needed for GameSpeak. I never did make it very far, I'm not sure if I even completed the first level. But thankfully there was a level select cheat to enable me to experience at least some of each level.

This time I'll be playing this on the hardest difficulty and aiming to rescue all 99 Mudokons (and abusing the hell out of QuikSave/QuikLoad).

I hope they remake Exodus next as I've never played that one, even though I got it for free as part of PS Plus a while back.

Ok so I've tried like 5 times to preorder from the Playstation mobile App Store and it won't let me. Says it encountered a problem and gets stuck on the error page.

Anyone else having this issue?

If all else fails I'll just preorder from the ps4 itself when I get home.

Gangxxter

I do think the price is a tad high [...]
No, it's not. New'n'Tasty is way more than a simple HD upgrade, it's like a totally new game with new gameplay mechanics and new challenges.
$30 is a steal, especially since it's cross-buy.

e_i

Reading the listing for the PS4 version, it says the PS3 & Vita versions are coming later? Is this true?

dugdug

Banned
What's up with the complete lack of marketing for this game?

PlayStation tweeted 5 times a day for two weeks about a beta, but, not a single peep about this (currently) PS4-exclusive. Nothing on the Blog, either.

I didn't even know it was coming out tomorrow until reviews started popping up today.

psychotron

UdITvHg.jpg

Done. Ready to go! In my ass!!....wait, wrong thread. Really excited for this. Them PS1 feels.

batbeg

Why do people have this belief that a game must be either $60 or sub-$20. $30 for a full fledged remake (ie not remastered but truly made from scratch once again) seems rather ideal to me.

VanWinkle

So...I was dead set on getting this...but the reviews seem to rag on the platforming, which would have been a big reason I'm getting this. If a major mechanic of the game (and that mechanic being my favorite) is an exercise in frustration, that's not good. I have not played the original.

Help ease my worry.

Oneself

Pre-ordered on PS4 yesterday, I decided to do my part and let the devs know that remakes like this one deserve money.

oggob

So...I was dead set on getting this...but the reviews seem to rag on the platforming, which would have been a big reason I'm getting this. If a major mechanic of the game (and that mechanic being my favorite) is an exercise in frustration, that's not good. I have not played the original.

Help ease my worry.

I haven't played the new version, so I'm not an authority on what it feels like now... But I want to give context to what the platforming was in the original.

Every action had had a certain animation and rule, which once you understood you applied to the puzzles.

These are off the top of my head...
Standing jump = 3steps, meaning that you would land on the 3rd space from where you started
Running jump = 4 steps
Running off a ledge with a 2 step gap would mean you grabbed the ledge

There were plenty of sections that required Mirrors Edge like perfection, knowing that you had to jump at the edge, or to mix it up, a double running jump, but the first gap was a short one, so you had to jump a space or 2 earlier and then jump for a ledge above you all while been chased by the scary Scarabs, I swear those moments with the chase music are tense as fuck!

I died a lot in the original, I'm sure I'll die a shitload in the new version also, but I didn't think the game was overly difficult, nor did I feel as though the platforming was a source of frustration.

It's comes down to trial and error, Rayman has been rebooted with the Origins/Legends series and the majority of the tougher levels (regular and not bonus levels) come down to learning when to jump big or small, not jump and I feel as though Rayman is far more guilty of that kind of trial and error platforming fruastration than Abe ever was... Most of the Abe frustration was working out a puzzle, having something fail an then needing to devise another idea.

Hope that helps....

IGN annoyed me with their description of the origin throw mechanic," tap and hope for the best", the throw mechanic had 8 point directional options, want it to go far? Throw the same direction you face, want it higher? Throw and push up, want to throw directly up? Throw the opposite direction you are facing and finally, want to throw like Carly Rae Jepsen? Then throw down and watch yourself explode!!!

Goddamn I want this to succeed for an Exoddus sequel!

So excited for this, Hard all the way!

Shin-Ra

What's up with the complete lack of marketing for this game?

PlayStation tweeted 5 times a day for two weeks about a beta, but, not a single peep about this (currently) PS4-exclusive. Nothing on the Blog, either.

I didn't even know it was coming out tomorrow until reviews started popping up today.
Bullshit.

anddo0

IGN review has me intrigued.

I only messed around with the original.

7+ hours sounds good, but is it worth coming back to?

Oh shit this unlocks at midnight tonight.

If it's anything like the original it's likely you're not going to get the best ending on your first attempt.

I know I played through the PS1 version 3 or 4 times.

oggob

If you only messed around and never played through the entire game, then certainly.

A great game back then (Gamerankings @ 87% | Metacritic @ 85) remade with initial reviews hitting the same averages suggests the game holds it's own.

If you have an interest in the puzzle/platformer genre and have never really dug into the game before, then it's a no-brainer.

It's ridiculous to think that I will be paying less than half the cost of the original even after the game was remade from ground up with with all the new fancy graphics and all that, it's practically a steal.

Stuart444

Can't wait til Wednesday though I am kinda glad we don't have pre-ordering for this game here otherwise I'd be up at midnight waiting to download it and I'm up early on Wednesday lol.

I will be eagerly watching this thread for impressions from USGAF

Killer

Banned
I preordered the game because i have fond memories of the original and never beat it because it was damn difficult. Now it's time to finish it :).

It was 7 hours for the reviewer who also played the original. If you don't already know the puzzles it will probably take you a bit longer.

Ok so I've tried like 5 times to preorder from the Playstation mobile App Store and it won't let me. Says it encountered a problem and gets stuck on the error page.

Anyone else having this issue?

If all else fails I'll just preorder from the ps4 itself when I get home.
Happened to me last week. Had to go on my computer to get it to work for some reason.

psychotron

If you only messed around and never played through the entire game, then certainly.

A great game back then (Gamerankings @ 87% | Metacritic @ 85) remade with initial reviews hitting the same averages suggests the game holds it's own.

If you have an interest in the puzzle/platformer genre and have never really dug into the game before, then it's a no-brainer.

It's ridiculous to think that I will be paying less than half the cost of the original even after the game was remade from ground up with with all the new fancy graphics and all that, it's practically a steal.

Game actually scored higher than the original on IGN. 7.5 vs 8.5

VanWinkle

I haven't played the new version, so I'm not an authority on what it feels like now... But I want to give context to what the platforming was in the original.

Every action had had a certain animation and rule, which once you understood you applied to the puzzles.

These are off the top of my head...
Standing jump = 3steps, meaning that you would land on the 3rd space from where you started
Running jump = 4 steps
Running off a ledge with a 2 step gap would mean you grabbed the ledge

There were plenty of sections that required Mirrors Edge like perfection, knowing that you had to jump at the edge, or to mix it up, a double running jump, but the first gap was a short one, so you had to jump a space or 2 earlier and then jump for a ledge above you all while been chased by the scary Scarabs, I swear those moments with the chase music are tense as fuck!

I died a lot in the original, I'm sure I'll die a shitload in the new version also, but I didn't think the game was overly difficult, nor did I feel as though the platforming was a source of frustration.

It's comes down to trial and error, Rayman has been rebooted with the Origins/Legends series and the majority of the tougher levels (regular and not bonus levels) come down to learning when to jump big or small, not jump and I feel as though Rayman is far more guilty of that kind of trial and error platforming fruastration than Abe ever was... Most of the Abe frustration was working out a puzzle, having something fail an then needing to devise another idea.

Hope that helps....

IGN annoyed me with their description of the origin throw mechanic," tap and hope for the best", the throw mechanic had 8 point directional options, want it to go far? Throw the same direction you face, want it higher? Throw and push up, want to throw directly up? Throw the opposite direction you are facing and finally, want to throw like Carly Rae Jepsen? Then throw down and watch yourself explode!!!

Goddamn I want this to succeed for an Exoddus sequel!

So excited for this, Hard all the way!

Thanks, man.

ZeroX03

Banned
Waiting for Exodus i guess as thats the one I know and love...never played oddysee

Exoddus is arguably a little bit better because it fixes a lot of the issues that were present in Oddysee, but New n Tasty also has those improvements so it's pretty much the same great world and gameplay but in 1080p/60fps. No reason not to grab it.

And they need to sell 250k copies for an Exoddus remake, so there's more motivation for you.

oggob

Thanks, man.

Nice one, but feel free to possess me and run me into a grinder if you don't end up liking it. ;)

-----

On a slightly different subject, perhaps this could be tied into how tough the game was, but did anyone else think the original game (or demo) was broken?

I'll admit, that one of the things that stumped both me and my brother at the time was from the first area. Entering a certain door, only to find another door that would continuously close, we spent alot of time trying to work out how to keep that door from closing. LOL

Once we knew what was going on... /facepalmofthecentury...

Nice one, but feel free to possess me and run me into a grinder if you don't end up liking it. ;)

-----

On a slightly different subject, perhaps this could be tied into how tough the game was, but did anyone else think the original game (or demo) was broken?

I'll admit, that one of the things that stumped both me and my brother at the time was from the first area. Entering a certain door, only to find another door that would continuously close, we spent alot of time trying to work out how to keep that door from closing. LOL

Once we knew what was going on... /facepalmofthecentury...

I couldn't even beat the demo as a kid. The game was tough. Mostly fair and tough.

Robot Pants

I love how this game is set to release, literally the same second as I'm scheduled to be at work.
madugc5u.png

Oh well, tomorrow all day.

low-G

I am excite. I never played the classic or ANY of the 2D Oddworld games but they always interested me. Finally gonna jump in & enjoy.

bender

What time is it?
Pre-ordered early today. My first reaction was that the $29.99 price was on the high side and that's probably not wrong. Then again, I purchased an Xbox for Munch. 56:33 until it unlocks.

VanWinkle

Isn't it kind of crazy how perfect this engine would be for a remake of Donkey Kong Country 2 or something? It looks just how I would have imagined a new HD DKC being before DKCR came around with its cartoony art style.

Well, I was really close to preordering it, anyway. You just eased my concerns about the platforming a bit.

Top Bottom