• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official April 2008 NPD thread of massive disappointment if you're not Nintendo

MrNyarlathotep said:
Now I know you're not trying to equate game features ('jumping') or game control methods ('pointing at the screen') with game mechanics here...

Jumping is just as much of a game mechanic as shooting.

If the Wii lineup is predominantly PS2 / PSP ports and minigame collections in a year and a halfs time, feel free to start arguing with people claiming it has a diverse lineup.

I never said the Wii didn't have a diverse lineup. I only said I thought the 360's lineup of good games was more diverse right now.

But right now, if you list games that fulfill the Wii stereotype (which is currently PS2 / PSP ports and waggle minigames) and compare them to the available games on the Wii, you'll find quite a lot of decent games in multiple genres that don't smack of desperation in listing (seriously now, Cars? Cars?)

Like I said, I listed them straight from my Gamercard, but I really enjoyed Cars for what it was (sandbox on wheels with a few races and missions).

Gamertag is in my profile, my 360 doesn't go online very often because I don't want to pay my online tax. But go ahead and check how long I've had a 360 for! Then go right ahead to the ad hominem that I can't have many 360 games because the last update to my gamercard was finishing the first mission in Mass Effect a few months back!

It's also the same as my Steam ID and my PSN ID. Because I do actually own all of the available consoles, so aren't trying to attack the 360 becuase I can only afford a Wii or whatever the hell it is you're thinking.

I'm attacking the 360s diversity because in my eyes it is seriously underperforming in breadth of gameplay experiences as the market leading HD console.

Here's the problem. Your Gamertag only contains 14 retail games, of which you've only really spent time with six of them (Viva Pinata, Dead Rising, Crackdown, Oblivion, Condemned, and GRAW). You also have a ton of arcade demos on there, but you only bought a couple of them. You haven't played the majority of the games I listed (or at most played a demo), yet you are issuing judgments on the diversity whole platform.

I don't think you're trying to attack the 360 for any monetary reasons, but I do think you are displaying some level of ignorance and have your blinders on. Maybe I have a different perspective since I enjoy pretty much every genre outside of RTS games, and I feel the diversity because I play everything and I can see huge amounts of diversity even within certain genres. However, if you're JUST looking for games that don't have shooting, driving, or sports elements, then I can see how it can be limiting, but who thinks like that? Even when looking at the games you played, 5 out of the 6 have shooting elements, so you must be into it somewhat. I just don't understand what you are looking for, because the same types of games that were popular last gen are well-represented on the 360. The only thing that's missing are the new Wii-like experiences.

And you still haven't backed up the ridiculous assertion that WiiWare and PSN have more diverse offerings than XBLA.

Deku

Banned
Hero said:
It'd be hard for the 360 to not have a few games in outside core demographics but when you look at what sells on the system, it's typically shooters/sports. Might as well make the analogy to "Only Nintendo games sell" on Nintendo systems.

That is exactly the analogy.

Someone queried quite humorously either in this thread or in another thread that if the Wii moved more software in its first 18 months than the other two next-gen platforms, a lot of 3rd party titles must have sold but not charted (because obviously we only focus on the partial top 10s we get from NPD)

Hero

Deku said:

Someone queried quite humorously either in this thread or in another thread that if the Wii moved more software in its first 18 months than the other two next-gen platforms, a lot of 3rd party titles must have sold but not charted (because obviously we only focus on the partial top 10s we get from NPD)

Yeah, we've only been glancing at the top of the top and not the big picture.

Zerachiel

MrNyarlathotep said:
Now I know you're not trying to equate game features ('jumping') or game control methods ('pointing at the screen') with game mechanics here...
You'll notice for example I left POTC on your list, even though it features a gun to kill things via shooting - because the primary game mechanic is melee combat.

Arguably Condemned should have stayed on there too, due to it being much closer to an FP beat 'em up, but that's much more debatable.

Yes, but it hasn't been market leader for 2 years now, which the 360 has.

Which is pretty much my point here.

If the Wii lineup is predominantly PS2 / PSP ports and minigame collections in a year and a halfs time, feel free to start arguing with people claiming it has a diverse lineup.

But right now, if you list games that fulfill the Wii stereotype (which is currently PS2 / PSP ports and waggle minigames) and compare them to the available games on the Wii, you'll find quite a lot of decent games in multiple genres that don't smack of desperation in listing (seriously now, Cars? Cars?)

I only removed games whose primary gameplay mechanics are driving and shooting. If I took out 'sports' you'd have lost your entire 'extreme' genre list, wouldn't you?

In which case yeah, take MP3 off of the list of anyone claiming that the Wiis lineup is predominantly made up of games whose primary mechanics are shooting and / or driving.

Is anyone claiming that?

Gamertag is in my profile, my 360 doesn't go online very often because I don't want to pay my online tax. But go ahead and check how long I've had a 360 for! Then go right ahead to the ad hominem that I can't have many 360 games because the last update to my gamercard was finishing the first mission in Mass Effect a few months back!

It's also the same as my Steam ID and my PSN ID. Because I do actually own all of the available consoles, so aren't trying to attack the 360 becuase I can only afford a Wii or whatever the hell it is you're thinking.

I'm attacking the 360s diversity because in my eyes it is seriously underperforming in breadth of gameplay experiences as the market leading HD console.

Again, you're being excessively myopic in your analysis. The bottom line is, Mass Effect plays differently enough from Halo 3 plays differently enough from Bioshock that they can be said to give the platform diversity. Most crucially, their fans are not necessarily so clustered in the same demographic that everyone who likes Halo will like Mass Effect, and no one that doesn't like Mass Effect will also not like halo.

Both Mario and Metroid, especially the 2D games, have jumping as a core gameplay mechanic, but the xperience of playing the two is so different that it would be asinine to suggest that Nintendo platforms have no diversity. Same deal with Mass Effect and Halo.

donny2112

Shin Johnpv said:
There are 2 ifs that could cause even more tears. Nintendo shipped even more than 700k Wiis to the US and/or GTAIV failed to move any hardware in May also.

Let's examine this with an optimistic eye.

* Microsoft said hardware went up 54% GTA IV week.
* GameStop said PS3 and 360 hardware almost doubled GTA IV week.

Since we're being optimitic, let's assume Microsoft was confused, and GameStop has it right for the entire industry and then round up their figure.

360:
Weekly average before GTAIV: 37.6K
Weekly sales for GTAIV: 75.2K

PS3:
Weekly average before GTAIV: 37.4K
Weekly sales for GTAIV: 74.8K

Since we're being very optimistic, lets assume that the 360 and PS3 saw no dropoff in weekly sales following GTAIV release and stayed at the increased GTAIV-week level all of May. The resulting May sales would be ...

May 2008 - The Month of Optimism

360: 301K
PS3: 299K

May 2007 for comparison:

360: 155K (2008 = 94% increase yoy)
PS3: 82K (2008 = 265% increase yoy)

Flakster99

Deku said:

First 18 months software units (US):

Wii - 50 million (not including Wii Sports)
X360 - 28 million
PS3 - 20 million
PS2 - 42 million

First 18 months hardware units (US):

Wii - 9.5 million
X360 - 5.2 million
PS3 - 4.2 million
PS2 - 8.5 million

The software sales numbers only include boxed games sold at retail and not virtual console or Wii Sports.

http://kotaku.com/5010214/nintendo-wii-has-highest-software-sales-for-first-18-months

Crunching 3rd party numbers.

45.jpg

1st chart - 7.77 million (4.58 million 3rd parties)
2nd chart - 11.61 million (4.87 million 3rd parties)
3rd chart - 32.67 million (19.60 million 3rd parties)

52.05 million total = 29.05 million from 3rd parties total.

Wii 3rd parties = 29.05 million
X360 total = 28 million
PS3 total = 20 million

Agemo_GB

Neo Member
I worked at Nintendo World here in New York and to be honest I just DO NOT see what is so compelling about the Wii to Justify these sales. To me for every 10 titles they release one is decent and for every 20 one is awesome! When I worked at that store (and this is no lie) the managers for whatever reason made the wall on the second floor ascend from great to trash it seemed like and all those units in the first shelves were Nintendo and Pokemon Co. first party games with the rest of the games descending in quality. I feel (sometimes) that the same market Nintendo help revolutionize they are killing with the mediocre trash that comes out. I love Nintendo and always will but it seems like there is no room for the hardcore gamers anymore...

Just a thought =)

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Agemo_GB said:
When I worked at that store (and this is no lie) the managers for whatever reason made the wall on the second floor ascend from great to trash it seemed like and all those units in the first shelves were Nintendo and Pokemon Co. first party games with the rest of the games descending in quality. I feel (sometimes) that the same market Nintendo help revolutionize they are killing with the mediocre trash that comes out. I love Nintendo and always will but it seems like there is no room for the hardcore gamers anymore...

The Sony flagship store in San Francisco gives 1st party titles extra prominence as well. I wouldn't read too much into the interior of NWS as a metaphor for the whole industry.

D.Lo

Flakster99 said:
1st chart - 7.77 million (4.58 million 3rd parties)
2nd chart - 11.61 million (4.87 million 3rd parties)
3rd chart - 32.67 million (19.60 million 3rd parties)
Your point probably stands more or less, but where exactly are you getting the software numbers for each half year from?

Cheez-It

Agemo_GB said:
I worked at Nintendo World here in New York and to be honest I just DO NOT see what is so compelling about the Wii to Justify these sales. To me for every 10 titles they release one is decent and for every 20 one is awesome! When I worked at that store (and this is no lie) the managers for whatever reason made the wall on the second floor ascend from great to trash it seemed like and all those units in the first shelves were Nintendo and Pokemon Co. first party games with the rest of the games descending in quality. I feel (sometimes) that the same market Nintendo help revolutionize they are killing with the mediocre trash that comes out. I love Nintendo and always will but it seems like there is no room for the hardcore gamers anymore...

Just a thought =)

I'm surprised the market didn't fucking vaporize after the PS2.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Zerachiel said:
Again, you're being excessively myopic in your analysis. The bottom line is, Mass Effect plays differently enough from Halo 3 plays differently enough from Bioshock that they can be said to give the platform diversity. Most crucially, their fans are not necessarily so clustered in the same demographic that everyone who likes Halo will like Mass Effect, and no one that doesn't like Mass Effect will also not like halo.

Both Mario and Metroid, especially the 2D games, have jumping as a core gameplay mechanic, but the xperience of playing the two is so different that it would be asinine to suggest that Nintendo platforms have no diversity. Same deal with Mass Effect and Halo.
To us that may be "diversity" but to the casual gamer they're all just games where you "shoot people with guns" along with gears and about 50% of 360's library. We see differences but they don't. I mean this discussion is really about why the casuals don't see the 360 as a viable platform with not much diversity and is geared toward the hardcore and I can completely see why they view it that way.

In comparison the PS2 was never seen as an FPS machine or even a "shooter box". In fact those aren't the kinds of games the PS2 was known for. Fact is the PS2 had SO MANY types of games and genres that no one genre greatly stood over the others so as to completely condition and classify it's fanbase to simply being "shooting and racing fans". Just because 360 has a few good RPG's doesn't buck this trend and neither will Banjo or Ninja Gaiden when first and third person shooters out number and dominate the 360's current and future line-up by such a wide margin.

Metaphoreus

This is semantics, and nothing more
Here's a fun little GIF that expresses my frustrations with the comments about third parties on Wii:

anim_e2186206-2ee8-c804-9181-284c7a.gif

When people compare sales of 360 games to Wii games, not only are they only looking at the monthly top ten games, but they're also comparing games like GTA IV with NMH. Where are the blockbuster titles for Wii? I dare say that only Nintendo are making them. Let's see GTA IV on Wii and find out how it sells. Let's see these major productions on Wii and find out if the conventional wisdom holds any water.

Mr Epic

Banned
Aw, more hurt feelings and tears because Nintendo is back on top where they should be. Just lol.

Here's a tip guys: Go support the Wii and STOP supporting 360/PS3 and I guarantee withing months you'll see tons of AAA titles on Wii. The only reason 3rd party developers are still making games for the other two systems is because idiots like you will continue to buy them, despite the horrible condition of the console itself.

zsidane

Flakster99 said:
Wii 3rd parties = 29.05 million
X360 total = 28 million
PS3 total = 20 million
But the interwebz sayz that 3rd party games don't sell on wii! You must be lying

(Actually, I won't be surprised if someone tried to argue that 3rd party publishers have a better tie-in ratio on HD consoles :/)

Scrubking

I wonder if someone can help me out.

I'm trying to figure out the list of 3rd party exclusive Wii games that aren't spin-offs, ports, remakes, original IPs or published by Nintendo.

So far I've got:

- Monster Hunter 3
- Shiren 3
- Nights (maybe)

Dascu

Scrubking said:

I'm trying to figure out the list of 3rd party exclusive Wii games that aren't spin-offs, ports, remakes, original IPs or published by Nintendo.

So far I've got:

- Monster Hunter 3
- Shiren 3
- Nights (maybe)

Does Crystal Bearers count? It's part of the Crystal Chronicles franchise.

-MB-

Zack and wiki
Elebits
Red steel
carnival games :)P I know crap)
Fragile
king story
no more heroes
madworld
soul eater
we ski

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Tie ratio is maybe the most misused figure by do-it-yourself forum market analysts.
It's such an awesome and fascinating figure: just a small number you can easily copy-paste around, giving it any significance you want, according to the situation.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
Scrubking said:

So far I've got:

- Monster Hunter 3
- Shiren 3
- Nights (maybe)

Upcoming games?
Harvest Moon: Tree of Tranquility
Samba de Amigo Wii
Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World
Line Rider 2: Unbound
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Crystal Bearers
Rayman Raving Rabbids 3
Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo's Dungeon
Lost in Blue: Shipwrecked
Carnival Games Mini Golf (second game in the CG series)

donny2112

-MB- said:

Scrubking said:

He's trying to find out how many franchises are getting an exclusive sequel on the Wii from third-parties.

Edit: manueldelalas got the couple I was thinking of.

Neo C.

Agemo_GB said:
I worked at Nintendo World here in New York and to be honest I just DO NOT see what is so compelling about the Wii to Justify these sales. To me for every 10 titles they release one is decent and for every 20 one is awesome! When I worked at that store (and this is no lie) the managers for whatever reason made the wall on the second floor ascend from great to trash it seemed like and all those units in the first shelves were Nintendo and Pokemon Co. first party games with the rest of the games descending in quality. I feel (sometimes) that the same market Nintendo help revolutionize they are killing with the mediocre trash that comes out.
Who do you mean with "they"? Nintendo? Or the third parties?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Scrubking said:

So far I've got:

- Monster Hunter 3
- Shiren 3
- Nights (maybe)

Fatal Frame 4
Bomberman
Tales of Symphonia 2?
Lost in Blue 3

But by saying "no original IPs" you're really crippling most of the Wii's library.

Dascu

Andrex said:
Fatal Frame 4
Bomberman
Tales of Symphonia 2?
Lost in Blue 3

But by saying "no original IPs" you're really crippling most of the Wii's library.
Nintendo's publishing Fatal Frame 4, so that one doesn't really count.

donny2112

Andrex said:

I don't think he's trying to come up with a sampling of the library. I think he's trying to show how many (or how few) mainline third-party sequels are getting brought to the console leader's console exclusively.

To me the big ones are Monster Hunter 3 and Fatal Frame IV. I know Fatal Frame IV is being published by Nintendo, but its previous iterations were published by Tecmo. Tales appeared on GameCube, Samba de Amigo/NiGHTs weren't around the vast majority of last generation, Lost in Blue was already on Nintendo systems, etc. Monster Hunter 3 and Fatal Frame IV are the only real examples of a non-Nintendo system franchise making a jump to the console leader this generation.

Kunan

Agemo_GB said:

Just a thought =)
Own a PS2? It was the same deal then. The most popular console always gets the huge waves of crap.

Wii's stigma with 3rd parties is only the 3rd parties' fault. If they made good games, then good games will sell. What kind of bull shit tactic is making tons of crap and then saying only crap sells? I swear it seems like the bigwhigs over at the publishers don't know their hands from their feet.

andthebeatgoeson

dammitmattt said:
Have you ever played a GTA? The "mini-games" are about 1% of the game.
Although, I can see why he is confused. A good percentage of the main story in GTA4 uses the 'chase guy in vehicle and kill him when jumps out' mini game.

Innotech

Banned
Dascu said:
Nintendo's publishing Fatal Frame 4, so that one doesn't really count.
I dont think it matters. Actually I dont think any of these lists make a difference to consumers at all at this point.

Flakster99

D.Lo said:
Your point probably stands more or less, but where exactly are you getting the software numbers for each half year from?

Howdy, D.Lo.

I utilized the American software figures provided by Nintendo in their quarterly investor relations reports. Subtracted a figure equal to the hardware numbers to remove Wii Sports. This gives me the totals for each quarter minus Wii Sports. I then used the software ratio provided by Nintendo's chart to calculate the total 3rd party sales for each of the 3 chart segments.

Nintendo's investor relations information including the software and hardware sales data per quarter as well as the 1st party vs 3rd party chart can be found here:
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/index.html

Kunan said:
Wii's stigma with 3rd parties is only the 3rd parties' fault. If they made good games, then good games will sell. What kind of bull shit tactic is making tons of crap and then saying only crap sells? I swear it seems like the bigwhigs over at the publishers don't know their hands from their feet.
That's how they sleep at night. That, and the denial that the Wii is another market all its own.

careful

Shaheed79 said:
To us that may be "diversity" but to the casual gamer they're all just games where you "shoot people with guns" along with gears and about 50% of 360's library. We see differences but they don't. I mean this discussion is really about why the casuals don't see the 360 as a viable platform with not much diversity and is geared toward the hardcore and I can completely see why they view it that way.

In comparison the PS2 was never seen as an FPS machine or even a "shooter box". In fact those aren't the kinds of games the PS2 was known for. Fact is the PS2 had SO MANY types of games and genres that no one genre greatly stood over the others so as to completely condition and classify it's fanbase to simply being "shooting and racing fans". Just because 360 has a few good RPG's doesn't buck this trend and neither will Banjo or Ninja Gaiden when first and third person shooters out number and dominate the 360's current and future line-up by such a wide margin.
This problem is not exclusive to the 360. People have this idea that the PS3 library is that much more diverse than the 360's, but the ratio of shooters is just as high. The reality is that the FP/TP shooter genre is the hot shit right now, so those types of games will dominate shelfspace (and NPD charts). Out of the 9 PS3 retail games I own, this is the breakdown:
4 FP/TP shooters
2 racing
2 sports
1 action

I've had better luck diversifying my library and 'casualising' my system (getting my sister to play) with PSN games and old PS2 games. LBP looks to be a big step in the right direction, but you will need more games to up the quality across many genres.

Dascu

Innotech said:
I dont think it matters. Actually I dont think any of these lists make a difference to consumers at all at this point.
It's not about consumers, it's about whether or not Tecmo decided to put Fatal Frame IV on the Wii solely out of its own decision, or because Nintendo pushed them to do it. With Nintendo publishing, I assumed that they had a hand in it. Of course, this is just speculation. Tecmo could've easily adressed Nintendo first.

Regardless, "Nintendo publishing" was one of his requirements. Don't jump on me like I'm trying to down-play Fatal Frame IV or anything.

dammitmattt said:
Jumping is just as much of a game mechanic as shooting.

It can be, but it isn't necessarily the same thing, and it is grossly oversimplifying to say any game with jumping in is a game about jumping in the same way it is to say any game that allows you to move has moving as a core gameplay mechanic.
Mario and Sonic games have jumping as a core mechanic.
Ninja Gaiden and Quake Wars have jumping as an aspect of movement, more specifically as an option in combat.
...but this is waaaaaaaay off topic of NPD sales ;)

dammitmattt said:
Here's the problem. Your Gamertag only contains 14 retail games, of which you've only really spent time with six of them (Viva Pinata, Dead Rising, Crackdown, Oblivion, Condemned, and GRAW).

Looking at someones gamertag to see their experience with a given console is inherently flawed, due to the fact that achievements do not directly correspond to time spent playing (for example I've spent a lot longer playing Perfect Dark 0 than I did playing Condemned or GRAW combined, but the only achievement I have is 'finished game on easy' which is worth one achievement of not many points, and have played a lot of single console co-op GoW and Halo 3, just not on my 360).

I have actually played a lot of XBLA games on a console not my own, as well as many of the games available on platforms other than the 360 (I played many of PopCaps offerings on PC a very long time ago for example).

I can't really 'prove' that however, so feel free to dismiss my opinion as uninformed if you do require absolute proof of someones precise gaming life before listening to their opinions on something - which pretty much dismissed anyones gaming history prior to owning a 360 and a couple of games on Steam, right?

dammitmattt said:
However, if you're JUST looking for games that don't have shooting, driving, or sports elements, then I can see how it can be limiting, but who thinks like that? Even when looking at the games you played, 5 out of the 6 have shooting elements, so you must be into it somewhat. I just don't understand what you are looking for, because the same types of games that were popular last gen are well-represented on the 360. The only thing that's missing are the new Wii-like experiences.

I think you're confusing diversity with popularity here, tbh.
My statement that the 360s output is currently heavy with shooters, racers and sports games doesn't imply that those are unpopular genres - far from it, they wouldn't sell by the metric fuckload if they were - it's that there are a few token efforts made in other gameplay types, and that the overall system library is incredibly biased towards certain gametypes and experiences.

Guitar Hero 2 & 3 and Rockband are effectively variations on the same game - where are the Gitaroo Man / DDR / Oendan type games?
If you're a Bemani fan, the genre spread is lower than you would expect after 2 years as market leader isn't it?

If you're a strategy / tactics gamer, what do you have at retail? LOTR: Battle for Middle Earth? at a stretch Overlord? Civ Revolutions is coming which will help, but do you think it well sell very well? If the 360 userbase had broad gaming tastes don't you think after 2 years as market leader there would have been some other efforts made before now?

How about platformers? Or beat 'em ups? Party games? Puzzlers? Survival Horrors?
These are all very lacking in terms of output at retail, again given just how long the 360 has been the best selling console for. By contrast, when the PS2, the PS1, the SNES and the NES had all been undisputed WW market leader for 2 years look at what their software libraries offered in terms of diversity at this point in the life cycle.

Hell, look at what the DC was offering after it's first year headstart positioning.

The 360 has found it's niche, and is exploiting the hell out of it to the self-proclaimed 'hardcore' and been very profitable doing so in terms of third party sales, but it is becoming clearer with every NPD that by choosing to focus so very tightly on one type of demographic with depth in a few genres, it is losing the more casual marketplace who are looking for a broader overall gaming experience.

In summary, the 360s exceedingly good coverage of the 'popular' gametypes is coming at the detriment of WW marketshare.

Whether this is the fault of Microsofts targetted demographics and business plan, or the fault of most Western publishers 'me too!' style of iterating popular titles through their own development, I don't know. But for the time spent as market leader the 360s software diversity is still too narrow to support mass market sales, and mass market sales support this theory. Releasing the occasional nod towards the mass market in things like Fusion Frenzy or Scene It has been too little, too late.

dammitmattt said:
And you still haven't backed up the ridiculous assertion that WiiWare and PSN have more diverse offerings than XBLA.

I look at the consoles DD libraries as exclusives only, not with retro ports or games available on the PC (let's not forget that PopCap are one of the biggest publishers in the world exclusively through PC and mobile sales).

Both the PSN and the Wii have superior 'retro' libraries (albeit without upscaled 720p ports and wordlwide leaderboards, things that 'casual' gamers really couldn't give a shit about) and where I see a huge chunk of Robotron remakes on XBLA together with the odd underlooked gem (Outpost Koloki X, Band of Bugs, Pacman Vs) I see on the PSN a range of extremely polished titles like Warhawk or Tekken: DR, to the quirkiness of things like LocoRoco or Echochrome or Pain, to 'standard' XBLA style offerings like Pixeljunk monsters, SS:HD or High Velocty Bowling.

WiiWare is still extremely new, but My Life As a King or Lostwinds are the kinds of games that could very easily receive a full retail release with a bit more time spent on development to flesh them out a bit more; WiiWare is at the moment exactly the kind of service that I was hoping for XBLA to be in the early days of the 360 and MSs claims of supporting indie development through things like the XNA and allowing user created content to be sold through XBLA (remember that?) whereas now they have apparently gone back on all of those early promises and are just selling slots to large publishers at the expense of seeing odd and unique titles in favour of HD remakes.

The 360 currently has the volume on XBLA, no question at all, but there is a lot of dross on there, especially of shitty romports and twinstick shooters.

Zerachiel said:

The 2D Mario and Metroids do share a 'jump' mechanic as core gameplay, although Metroid expands it with 'exploration' mechanics. You are correct that Mass Effect is radically different to Halo, and I was being facetious to group them together as 'shooters' because Mass Effect isn't a shooter in the slightest.

But I am not a 'casual' audience who look at the boxart and the screenshots and see another bald space marine shooter.

I remember someone on Gaf telling an anecdote of someone picking up Super Paper Mario thinking it was a platformer from the box, name and screenshots on the back and absolutely hating it because it wasn't at all what they wanted.

It's the same deal, I think.

And the thing with Nintendo in particular is that they very often explore new gameplay mechanics with the 'safety net' of sticking one of their recognisable game icons on the cover to hide that that is what they are doing.

So far they've done that with M&S at the olympics and with Links Crossbow training on the Wii, and with Yoshis Touch 'n' go and Kirbys canvas curse on the DS, and now that Wii ____ is a recognisable 'franchise' in it's own right, I expect them to experiment with 'core' gamer types by sticking known 'gamer' icons into new 'core' gametypes and Wii ____ (whatever) onto new casual gametypes to further differentiate between their two tier consumer base.

Shaheed79 said:

Quote for agreement.

Scrubking said:

I'm not sure if you can count Excitetruck as a continutation of the Excitebike franchise, or as a spin off.

Likewise I don't know if you can qualify Tony Hawks downhill Jam as a continutation or as a spinoff.

careful said:
This problem is not exclusive to the 360. People have this idea that the PS3 library is that much more diverse than the 360's, but the ratio of shooters is just as high.

I agree, I think both HD consoles targetting at the moment is too narrow and both platforms are lacking diversity.

I think the PS3 has been trying to ape the 360, which has led to a lot of current 360 owners not seeing anything there that they don't already have with the 360, and a lot of their old userbase not seeing anything worth 'upgrading' for. Which I think is reflected in sales.

EDIT:

wow, that's A LONG FUCKING POST <_<

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
MrNyarlathotep said:
I'm not sure if you can count Excitetruck as a continutation of the Excitebike franchise, or as a spin off.

Likewise I don't know if you can qualify Tony Hawks downhill Jam as a continutation or as a spinoff.

The first is published by Nintendo and the second is also on PS2 so it's not Wii exclusive even amongst platforms.

MrNyarlathotep said:
Looking at someones gamertag to see their experience with a given console is inherently flawed, due to the fact that achievements do not directly correspond to time spent playing (for example I've spent a lot longer playing Perfect Dark 0 than I did playing Condemned or GRAW combined, but the only achievement I have is 'finished game on easy' which is worth one achievement of not many points, and have played a lot of single console co-op GoW and Halo 3, just not on my 360).

I have actually played a lot of XBLA games on a console not my own, as well as many of the games available on platforms other than the 360 (I played many of PopCaps offerings on PC a very long time ago for example).

I can't really 'prove' that however, so feel free to dismiss my opinion as uninformed if you do require absolute proof of someones precise gaming life before listening to their opinions on something - which pretty much dismissed anyones gaming history prior to owning a 360 and a couple of games on Steam, right?

My point was that it didn't seem like you haven't experienced most of the games that I would say gives the 360 its diversity. For instance, there are just as many good single console 4-player "casual" games on the 360 as there are on the Wii, but you haven't played a single one according to your profile (minus demos, of course).

Also, I'm not sure why you keep bringing up Popcap when there are relatively few Popcap games on XBLA. I own 40-50 XBLA titles and only 1 or 2 are Popcap games. It's just another example of some incorrect meme that you keep repeating.

Guitar Hero 2 & 3 and Rockband are effectively variations on the same game - where are the Gitaroo Man / DDR / Oendan type games?
If you're a Bemani fan, the genre spread is lower than you would expect after 2 years as market leader isn't it?

There is at least one DDR game on the 360 and one Karoake Revolution game. And you also have Boom Boom Rocket on XBLA. Plus, you are ignoring the fact that these other games just don't sell here and aren't on ANY console platform. America wants Guitar Hero and Rock Band, not Gitaroo Man or Bemani.

If you're a strategy / tactics gamer, what do you have at retail? LOTR: Battle for Middle Earth? at a stretch Overlord? Civ Revolutions is coming which will help, but do you think it well sell very well? If the 360 userbase had broad gaming tastes don't you think after 2 years as market leader there would have been some other efforts made before now?

You've got more options on the 360 than you've got on the PS3 or Wii.

How about platformers? Or beat 'em ups? Party games? Puzzlers? Survival Horrors?
These are all very lacking in terms of output at retail, again given just how long the 360 has been the best selling console for. By contrast, when the PS2, the PS1, the SNES and the NES had all been undisputed WW market leader for 2 years look at what their software libraries offered in terms of diversity at this point in the life cycle.

There are platformers and beat'em ups on XBLA, but the two genres just aren't popular anymore with the masses. You've got Mario on the Wii, Ratchet on the PS3, and that's about it for platformers. I'm not even sure the last time there was a good beat'em up on any system. There are plenty of extremely good puzzle games on XBLA, and no one is doing survival horror anymore, though the 360 is getting new Silent Hill and Resident Evil entries soon enough. Party games I'll give you that the Wii has more, but the 360 does have Scene It, VP:party Animals, Fuzion Frenzy, and more on XBLA. Definitely more options than you have on PS3, and Rock Band is the best party game anyway and the 360/PS3 has the definitive version.

Whether this is the fault of Microsofts targetted demographics and business plan, or the fault of most Western publishers 'me too!' style of iterating popular titles through their own development, I don't know. But for the time spent as market leader the 360s software diversity is still too narrow to support mass market sales, and mass market sales support this theory. Releasing the occasional nod towards the mass market in things like Fusion Frenzy or Scene It has been too little, too late.

I'm not sure how it's Microsoft's fault what third parties are (and aren't doing).

I look at the consoles DD libraries as exclusives only, not with retro ports or games available on the PC (let's not forget that PopCap are one of the biggest publishers in the world exclusively through PC and mobile sales).

You can't change the argument again. We're talking availability, not exclusives. Diversity is diversity, exclusives or not.

Both the PSN and the Wii have superior 'retro' libraries (albeit without upscaled 720p ports and wordlwide leaderboards, things that 'casual' gamers really couldn't give a shit about) and where I see a huge chunk of Robotron remakes on XBLA together with the odd underlooked gem (Outpost Koloki X, Band of Bugs, Pacman Vs) I see on the PSN a range of extremely polished titles like Warhawk or Tekken: DR, to the quirkiness of things like LocoRoco or Echochrome or Pain, to 'standard' XBLA style offerings like Pixeljunk monsters, SS:HD or High Velocty Bowling.

How in the hell does PSN have a better retro library when it consists of a handful of PSOne games that just don't hold up and a few assorted other arcade games. And XBLA wins hands down if you include Xbox Originals.

The bottom line is that you're just not looking at the XBLA stuff. There are plenty of great games like Cloning Clyde, Mutant Storm, Puzzle Quest, UNO, Lost Cities, Carcassonne, Catan, and a lot more in addition to great games that are on both PSN and XBLA.

WiiWare is still extremely new, but My Life As a King or Lostwinds are the kinds of games that could very easily receive a full retail release with a bit more time spent on development to flesh them out a bit more; WiiWare is at the moment exactly the kind of service that I was hoping for XBLA to be in the early days of the 360 and MSs claims of supporting indie development through things like the XNA and allowing user created content to be sold through XBLA (remember that?) whereas now they have apparently gone back on all of those early promises and are just selling slots to large publishers at the expense of seeing odd and unique titles in favour of HD remakes.

So WiiWare is better because it has potential? Riiiiight....

The 360 currently has the volume on XBLA, no question at all, but there is a lot of dross on there, especially of shitty romports and twinstick shooters.

Shitty romports? Every XBLA game at least has stuff like leaderboards, HD graphics, and usually online play. VC is nothing but ROM dumps. Bad analogy there.

Again, you're just not looking for the good stuff because it's inconvenient for your argument.

dammitmattt said:
My point was that it didn't seem like you haven't experienced most of the games that I would say gives the 360 its diversity.

The problem with this line of argument is that diversity is in the eye of the not-yet-purchased-a-game beholder. I don't care for either driving or shooting games categorically, so regardless of how much "diversity" there is within games that are primarily about driving or primarily about shooting, I'm only going to be interested in a very small subset of them.

Meanwhile, there are areas that the 360 is unambiguously lacking in. It doesn't have much at all in the way of social/party games past GH/RB. There are very few excellent titles rated E (which is just as big a problem as Nintendo's lack of excellent titles rated M.) Almost no games in the platform/action/adventure cloud that don't cross all the way over into either GTA-style sandbox play or shooter play. (Of course, this also applies pretty well to the PS3, whose library overlaps pretty dramatically with the 360's....)

Basically, the "shooterbox" tag isn't exactly accurate, but the diversity problem still exists.

You've got more options on the 360 than you've got on the PS3 or Wii.

And yet both of those systems also have diversity problems (though Wii less so than the HD systems). The PS2 is the gold standard for this, and no system currently available matches it -- the DS is unquestionably the closest, and even it is a far cry.

stewacide said:
The 360 is almost completely devoid of adventure and platforming games, which are the core of what I like to play.

All 3 systems are lacking here because these genres just don't sell like they used to outside of Mario and Zelda. PS3 has two great exclusives as does the Wii. 360 has some good games like Kameo, Tomb Raider Legend/Anniversary, and Assassin's Creed (plus the awesome Cloning Clyde on XBLA), but if that's all you like, gaming must kind of suck for you right now.

charlequin, I was referring to the strategy genre in the sentence where you quoted me.

Top Bottom