• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for April 2009

jvm

Gamasutra.
Article is in, should be up by morning after the editor goes over it.

Just so I know, did we get any additional software figures? I had a couple but wasn't sure if they were out there yet.

So tired. Maybe now I can get some Zen Pinball time...or just sleep...

Kenka

PantherLotus said:
1-NPD-total-weekly-pie-0409.png

DS : Multiple pwnage.

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
Zen said:
Do we have data for this month for Killzone 2? Outside of the top 20, but how many k?

I saw someone on the street carrying a copy of Killzone 2 so at least more than one I would hope but he could have been borrowing it from a friend.

Sleeker

Why dont PC games every show up on the charts?
Is it cos they're all being bought on steam or because theyre just not selling

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
^ no sarcasm?

shykyoichi said:

:lol

I know. When a single system dominates a landscape as thoroughly as the Wii is dominating the US Console Scene, one tries to find new ways to ask old questions. "Will the Wii obliterate the competition and embarass it by outselling both HD systems combined, or will it only 'destroy' the competition by selling 90% of both?"

*shrug* I'm trying to get a discussion going!

PantherLotus said:
^ no sarcasm?

:lol

I know. When a single system dominates a landscape as thoroughly as the Wii is dominating the US Console Scene, one tries to find new ways to ask old questions. "Will the Wii obliterate the competition and embarass it by outselling both HD systems combined, or will it only 'destroy' the competition by selling 90% of both?"

*shrug* I'm trying to get a discussion going!
By posting that chart, you silenced those who would try to tr-, I mean, start a discussion.

Yeah I'm thinking if it has a huge christmas like this year, and it has a solid first 3 - 4 months of next year early - mid 2010 it should pass them both combined in the US.

AniHawk

Shin Johnpv said:
Yeah I'm thinking if it has a huge christmas like this year, and it has a solid first 3 - 4 months of next year early - mid 2010 it should pass them both combined in the US.

That's assuming a price drop for the PS3 means steady or lower sales throughout the year. I doubt it.

I say end of 2010 if at all.

Depends on how well the Wii sell this christmas season, this will be the first holiday season with supply at maximum capacity.

AniHawk said:
That's assuming a price drop for the PS3 means steady or lower sales throughout the year. I doubt it.

A PS3 price drop will steal sales from the 360, and not so much from the Wii.

AniHawk

BishopLamont said:
Depends on how well the Wii sell this christmas season, this will be the first holiday season with supply at maximum capacity.

A PS3 price drop will steal sales from the 360, and not so much from the Wii.

I don't think it'll really steal that much from the 360. What it will do is raise the PS3 number, so that combined with the 360's, it'll be harder for the Wii to overcome.

AniHawk said:
I don't think it'll really steal that much from the 360. What it will do is raise the PS3 number, so that combined with the 360's, it'll be harder for the Wii to overcome.
The PS3 has been trending lower for the past few months, I think the 360 price drop was a major factor. Last year it wasn't like this.

Minsc

Gold Member
Sleeker said:
but thats what i mean.
i want to see the harsh reality of it

Think of it this way then, those charts don't count DD, and a lot of PC games have a very diminished or non-existent presence at most gaming stores.

So the depressing numbers would not only be depressing, but also incorrect.

Makes me wonder what the trackers are going to do when the same thing happens to console games, that is, when the majority of console games are sold through Sony's store or MS's store, will the trackers become irrelevant, as they are not even tracking 50% of the software?

Would Sony/MS/Nintendo even share/sell that information? We know how tight most PC DD distros hold on to it, Steam shares with no one really, so when that happens to consoles, perhaps NPD will not bother to track all this stuff as closely.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
BishopLamont said:
World wide it has a long time ago, not in the US.

Correct.

And the ONLY reason I even focused on the US for the HD v. Wii approach--besides clear, reliable, and regular data, which IS a huge factor--is because it seems to be the battleground for western parties, which couldn't even tip their cap at the poor thing.

Maybe it's a good choice on their part, and maybe it's not. But if the Wii does end up outselling both combined and we see companies fold that didn't even attempt a Wii game (Factor 5?), well, that's a whole lot of money left on the table to fufill some internal hardcore fantasy some of these devs must have.

PantherLotus said:
Correct.

And the ONLY reason I even focused on the US for the HD v. Wii approach--besides clear, reliable, and regular data, which IS a huge factor--is because it seems to be the battleground for western parties, which couldn't even tip their cap at the poor thing.

Maybe it's a good choice on their part, and maybe it's not. But if the Wii does end up outselling both combined and we see companies fold that didn't even attempt a Wii game (Factor 5?), well, that's a whole lot of money left on the table to fufill some internal hardcore fantasy some of these devs must have.

Eh, I really think the writing's on the wall as far as Wii development goes. I mean, we're even starting to see some of the more reluctant publishers announce Wii games. I don't think it's a condition of the Wii outselling the HD consoles, I think it was/is more of a "is the Wii just for soccer moms and children" or "is the Wii worth the money sink" question, both of which the Wii has (slowly but surely) answered.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
DeaconKnowledge said:
Eh, I really think the writing's on the wall as far as Wii development goes. I mean, we're even starting to see some of the more reluctant publishers announce Wii games. I don't think it's a condition of the Wii outselling the HD consoles, I think it was/is more of a "is the Wii just for soccer moms and children" or "is the Wii worth the money sink" question, both of which the Wii has (slowly but surely) answered.

I disagree that the Wii has answered those questions. After all, there actually ARE more non gamers than there are gamers, which is the reason western devs have been ignoring the thing in the first place.

Self-prophesying hacks, eat your hearts out.

PantherLotus said:
I disagree that the Wii has answered those questions. After all, there actually ARE more non gamers than there are gamers, which is the reason western devs have been ignoring the thing in the first place.

Self-prophesying hacks, eat your hearts out.

So what would you consider an answer? Because "There are more non-gamers than gamers" is a statement that will never be untrue on a console like the Wii. The point that needs to be proved is that games of a certain type can sell if given the chance, and unless we're playing the "Game A/B/C/D/E/F/G don't count" game, i'd say the answer is clear.

Yeah I don't think the Wii outselling the HD consoles combined in the US means much, it's only <3M which isn't alot in the grand scheme of things. The Wii is getting better support from the big publishers, even though much of that support isn't being pumped into hardcore games. Take for example EA Sports Active, it's not a game many of us want, but it's still big support regardless. Third parties will keep perusing the Wii, because it might be a bit late this gen, but they need to gear up for the next-gen. Give them some time see what kind of games fit them on the Wii.

BishopLamont said:
Yeah I don't think the Wii outselling the HD consoles combined in the US means much, it's only <3M which isn't alot in the grand scheme of things. The Wii is getting better support from the big publishers, even though much of that support isn't being pumped into hardcore games. Take for example EA Sports Active, it's not a game many of us want, but it's still big support regardless. Third parties will keep perusing the Wii, because it might be a bit late this gen, but they need to gear up for the next-gen. Give them some time see what kind of games fit them on the Wii.

Late in the gen? The Wii isn't even 3 years old yet. Ditto PS3.

DeaconKnowledge said:
Late in the gen? The Wii isn't even 3 years old yet. Ditto PS3.
Late in the sense that many publishers already invested heavily in HD tech, so their Wii tech learning curve isn't as established. Many publishers still don't "get" the Wii just yet.

Brofist

HD console fans are optimistic that sales will turn in favor of the HD consoles.

Wii fans are optimistic that game development will change from favoring the HD consoles to favoring the Wii.

And they are most likely all wrong

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Pristine_Condition said:
Interesting that PantherLotus finds time to do the hardware charts again all of the sudden...

Why is it interesting? Which system am I biased for again? It's so confusing when I switch every week.

Haunted

PantherLotus said:
Why is it interesting? Which system am I biased for again? It's so confusing when I switch every week.
Well, your NPD charts show the DS and Wii selling much more than the competition month after month, so it's pretty clear that you have a Nintendo bias.

Struct09

RBH said:
Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars: 74,000

Nice!! That puts it at ~163k, and that's not much of a month-to-month drop off. I'm sure it got some help from the DSi launch and the Best Buy sale, but hopefully its legs stay strong.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
It's amazing to me that people combine Xbox 360, PS3 and sometimes PC against the Wii with a straight face, and continue to do it. A huge qualifier to continue dismissing the Wii as a market leader.

The Wii is a console made by a small company, with relatively little investment the way it was done back in the 80's. It's beating the heck out of two products which are behemoths of investment from two (resource based) massive corporations. And people are combining those two behemoths against one small machine. The comparison is being seriously entertained that no real success exists in that small console, UNLESS it outsells both Xbox 360 and PS3 combined.

I know those consoles are similar(historically many systems were), and they're viable for third parties in a combined fashion, however it doesn't mean the Wii needs to beat both of them combined.

The way third parties are treating the Wii now has nothing to do with how much it's selling, if the Wii starts to outdo the combined number of Xbox 360 and PS3 the situation will not change. There would still be qualifiers, and there would still be a market to take more seriously.

The real reason why the Wii isn't being worked on very well by third parties is because they function with a paradigm of quality that puts the Wii in the shitter. They don't have talent to truly take advantage of a new paradigm of quality. What I mean by that is, of weak being best, and small being optimal. For those developers the Wii's assets are bad things. So the situation will not change based on the market, on the numbers. It will only change if the perception of quality changes with talent to back it, and right now only Nintendo developers are working with it. I don't think that's going to change, at all. But please, let's not become numb to this extent, where a console is only successful after it hits a certain point.

What's next? Is the next measure for the Wii a 90% marketshare like the NES? Too bad if it only reaches 89% right? In about a week or two I may start combining Wii and DS as a single platform.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
^ That's the point, man.

We can come up with all these ridiculous metrics for how/why/how much a console is "winning" by, but it will never matter to companies that target specific demographics if they don't believe they can reach those demos by using that medium.

andthebeatgoeson

Azelover said:
I think people combine them since they would like the level of content on the HD twins refocused on the Wii. Then they realize that companies port to the HD twins as one console and that Wii has a larger obstacle in front of it. Devs/pubs have already resisted when Wii overcame the 360. They could take the same path next gen if they could limit their costs. The HD twins with less costs could provide blockbuster potential. Nintendo should not overlook that it's refusal to jump into HD has hindered it's acceptance by 3rd parties and they could well do that next gen unless Nintendo goes HD.

AniHawk said:

I don't know, hasn't Sony been pretty adamant about no price drop for the PS3. I don't think a price drop would really help them that much, and I think they know that. I think right now they'd rather try to make as much money as they instead of trying to win the console wars, which they have no hope of now. I'm gonna say we don't see a PS3 price drop till Christmas or early next year, and if that happens the Wii will already be well on its way of beating them combined in the US. Though Sony could totally shock everyone and do a price drop at E3 but I don't think they will. I would be very surprised if they did.

Spiegel

Shin Johnpv said:
I don't know, hasn't Sony been pretty adamant about no price drop for the PS3. I don't think a price drop would really help them that much, and I think they know that. I think right now they'd rather try to make as much money as they instead of trying to win the console wars, which they have no hope of now. I'm gonna say we don't see a PS3 price drop till Christmas or early next year, and if that happens the Wii will already be well on its way of beating them combined in the US. Though Sony could totally shock everyone and do a price drop at E3 but I don't think they will. I would be very surprised if they did.

They are predicting 13 million consoles sold this fiscal year, previous fiscal year they sold 10 million.

A price drop is coming very soon.

Top Bottom