• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for April 2009

Meesh

Please excuse my gross ignorance(haven't read the thread) , but NPD numbers cover the Americas only?

Who covers Japan figures?

Meesh

Scrubking said:
Yes. Japan is Media Create or Famitsu.

bcn-ron said:
NPD Canada exists too, but the numbers in this thread are USA only.

Japanese sales are tracked by at least three different trackers (Famitsu/Enterbrain, Media Create and Dengeki). GAF has had weekly threads for that for a long time.

Thanks, I just wanted to be certain what I was looking at :)

It's strange for Wii to be doing so well in the west, and not in it's home turf...it just feels funny.

Evilink said:
Thanks, I just wanted to be certain what I was looking at :)

It's strange for Wii to be doing so well in the west, and not in it's home turf...it just feels funny.

Well, it happens when no games of import release for months.

Zachack

frankie_baby said:
how the hell would not making the top 20 mean less than 15k sales? Yes its a possibility but i find that unlikely
Wii Top 20 probably bottoms out pretty low.

Also Anihawk said it sold less than Speed Racer. So probably well below 15k.

Also Anarcho-Consumerism.

Gaborn

Zachack said:

Also Anihawk said it sold less than Speed Racer. So probably well below 15k.

Also Anarcho-Consumerism.

Depends on your definition of "pretty low." But if THIS post about the various platform top 20s is right, and THIS post about MadWorld (which is somewhere below the Wii Top 20) selling 66,000 is right, then I don't consider the 20th best selling game on a game PLATFORM being north of 66,000 being a BAD thing.

Struct09

Gaborn said:
Depends on your definition of "pretty low." But if THIS post about the various platform top 20s is right, and THIS post about MadWorld (which is somewhere below the Wii Top 20) selling 66,000 is right, then I don't consider the 20th best selling game on a game PLATFORM being north of 66,000 being a BAD thing.

MadWorld sold 66k in March, those top 20's are for April. I don't think we've heard MadWorld's numbers for April yet.

Rolf NB

Gaborn said:
Madworld's first month was March, not April.

edit: *sigh*

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
frankie_baby said:
how the hell would not making the top 20 mean less than 15k sales? Yes its a possibility but i find that unlikely

number 20 per platform has always hovered around 8k to 20k during the non-holiday season, normally around 12k to 15k. a game not making the per platform top 20 sold less than 15k. this is not a possibility, it is a certainty. whether you find it likely or not, madworld sold fewer than 15k copies based on that top 20 per platform list.

Chumly

Stumpokapow said:
66,000 month 1

plus whatever it did this month, which given that it did not appear in the leaked top 20 wii games would mean <15k.
Everything in the Wii top 20 is at minimum >13k (Excitebots)

I guess people can hope that its at least inbetween that and the Wii top 20

Spiegel

Chumly said:
Everything in the Wii top 20 is at minimum >13k (Excitebots)

I guess people can hope that its at least inbetween that and the Wii top 20

Excitebots has 2 SKU

Everything in the Wii top 20 is at minimum >8k

Chumly

Spiegel said:
Excitebots has 2 SKU

Everything in the Wii top 20 is at minimum >8k
Are the SKU's definitely seperated though (Just curious)? Because like when we get NPD top 10's the Guitar Hero SKU's are combined right? I know they track each SKU but when they give the actual sales ranking is it combined?

Jokeropia

Stumpokapow said:
a game not making the per platform top 20 sold less than 15k. this is not a possibility, it is a certainty.
That's not true and you know it.
Zachack said:
Based on what? Wii is the #1 software selling platform, only challenged by DS.

Spiegel

Chumly said:
Are the SKU's definitely seperated though (Just curious)? Because like when we get NPD top 10's the Guitar Hero SKU's are combined right? I know they track each SKU but when they give the actual sales ranking is it combined?

Yeah, you're probably right

Narcosis

A day late to the thread and holy shit at how bad everything did. I know this is the slowest period of the year typically but the wii and 360 dropoff both really surprised me.

I was honestly also surprised at the Rhythm heaven performance, those ads with Beyonce playing it on her couch were seemingly all over the place. Maybe it'll do the whole Wii Music trend: slower to crawl to good numbers than what many Nintendo games do.

Excitebots was sent to die.

If those creamsugar numbers are true the Wii top 20 depresses me. And did SFIV really fall off that fast with the 360 crowd?

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Narcosis said:
If those creamsugar numbers are true the Wii top 20 depresses me. And did SFIV really fall off that fast with the 360 crowd?
Probably. It fell off the Xbox live top 10 quickly and I can only find one or two flowchart Kens a day now.

Narcosis

Archie said:
Probably. It fell off the Xbox live top 10 quickly and I can only find one or two flowchart Kens a day now.

I'm fully expecting both KoF12 and BlazBlue to struggle to make it into the top 10 for a single platform at this rate

Stumpokapow said:
number 20 per platform has always hovered around 8k to 20k during the non-holiday season, normally around 12k to 15k. a game not making the per platform top 20 sold less than 15k. this is not a possibility, it is a certainty. whether you find it likely or not, madworld sold fewer than 15k copies based on that top 20 per platform list.
What is your source for this

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Jokeropia said:
That's not true and you know it.

It's certainly not true for all platforms for all months, but I think it's certainly a fair benchmark for most platforms for most months based on the era when we did get enough leaked data to establish a benchmark for that sort of thing.

If you think there's enough post-November 06 clampdown data floating around in the public that you feel comfortable establishing a different ballpark (say 10k, 20k, 25k, 30k--certainly the multiple VE3D top 10 per console leaks tell us that 40k-60k would be the cutoff for the top 10 for a console in non-holiday months), feel free to share your insight with me.

But I feel quite confident in saying that Madworld sold less than 15k this month.

Chumly

Stumpokapow said:
It's certainly not true for all platforms for all months, but I think it's certainly a fair benchmark for most platforms for most months based on the era when we did get enough leaked data to establish a benchmark for that sort of thing.

If you think there's enough post-November 06 clampdown data floating around in the public that you feel comfortable establishing a different ballpark (say 10k, 20k, 25k, 30k--certainly the multiple VE3D top 10 per console leaks tell us that 40k-60k would be the cutoff for the top 10 for a console in non-holiday months), feel free to share your insight with me.

But I feel quite confident in saying that Madworld sold less than 15k this month.
Gamasutra's Tie Ratio Analysis

Amount of software sold outside NPD top 10 for the first quarter
Wii=11,832,000
360=7,591,000
PS3=6,286,000

Number of titles outside the NPD top 10 but in the systems top 20

March = 17 for 360 17 for Wii 17 for PS3
February = 18 for 360 16 for Wii 18 for PS3
January = 16 for 360 16 for Wii 20 for PS3

Total titles
360=51
Wii=49
PS3=55

Lets say that the top 20 for each system averages 50k if its outside the NPD top 10 (Could be to much).

Software sold outside each systems top 20 for first quarter
Wii=11,832,000-49(50,000)=9,382,000
360=7,591,000 -51(50,000)=5,041,000
PS3=6,286,000 -55(50,000)=3,536,000

Monthly average of software sold outside each systems top 20 for Jan/Feb/March
Wii=3,127,333
360=1,680,333
PS3=1,178,666

How many titles sell a signficant amount for each system outside the top 20? Well....
The number of titles that each of the gamestores have in stock (New) for sale jan-march...
Best buy = 100 unique titles MAYBE?
Gamestop = 100-150 unique titles?
Target = 50-75 or so unique titles?
Walmart= 50-75 or so unique titles?

Lets say theres only a 100 titles outside each systems top 20 that sell beyond >1000. The averages for each of these titles would be (Monthly average)....

Wii=31,273
360=16,803
PS3=11,786

Obviously lots of guestimations but people can make changes where they see fit (More Wii titles less 360/PS3). I think though that this shows that for the Wii there should be a signficant amount of titles that could be selling 30k+ each month but be outside the Wii top 20. The 360/PS3 obviously have less.

Disclaimer: This is obviously all based on averages for Jan-March and April obviously sold less software than each of those months.

justchris

Vinci said:
You're saying this as if Nintendo gives a damn about the hardcore crowd or feels they're at all necessary. They're icing, a thin layer of it, on a cake three feet high.

Nintendo may not, but every major Western 3rd party publisher seems to be desperate for their business, and chooses to almost totally ignore the casual consumer. And the discussion was specifically about companies refocusing and restructuring their dev/pub process into a more sustainable business model.

Neo C. said:
The easiest way would be restrictions made from the console makers, namely focusing on building an affordable console both for consumers and developers.

The situation in the next generation would be more difficult if Sony or MS still try to create the next power house. If this is the case, companies simply need to know their own limits. As we can see, some smart small companies are already focusing on handhelds and Wii.

I believe many gamers are graphic whores just because the marketing says so. If the marketing of many companies wasn't built around graphics, other aspects would probably gain more importance.

While your final assertion may be true, a large number of those gamers are now in their 30s or older. The older a person gets, the harder it is to shift their perspective, and the concentrated marketing the other way is going to be hard to counterprogram.

Yes, I think the console manufactures should take a stand and say, what we've achieved this generation is great, lets slow things down a notch and focus on some other things (overall better game design would be a great way to go). The thing is, if they all do that, and Nintendo chooses to catch up to them (because at that point it'll certainly be cheap enough for them to do so since every other company has already payed the way for them, then how do they differentiate themselves?

Flying_Phoenix said:
As I've said before Nintendo is now marketing at the adult male market very aggressively and I have no doubt that GTA:CTW was a project that was suppose to correlate with this. Or do you guys think it's just mere coincidence that the game was released nearly the exact same time Nintendo started to do the male market pull?

I don't know what you're talking about. What marketing are you referring to that is targeting the adult male demographic on Nintendo's part? I haven't seen it, nor seen any effects of it.

Bizzyb said:
But here's the thing, if you're not going to go for the HUGE Marketing push, then you can at LEAST hope or try to get some word of mouth spreading by announcing it earlier, and then letting the press get some coverage over a year or so, so that gamers will KNOW, and maybe some casuals will see it in a magazine or hear it from a friend, or see it on Gametrailers, or SOMETHING. Less than 2 months is not enough time to build any kind of grassroots marketing. That's how most all publishers do it b/c quite frankly, if you aren't going to spend tons of $$$ on ads, etc then that's your best bet.

Yeah, see, the problem is for grassroots marketing to take effect, you still have to hit a large enough segment to spread word of mouth. 500 people is not going to be sufficient to spread the glory of the game to 500,000 potential buyers. Even if they have 2 years to drool over it. What's worse, you're going to lose some of that original core market to attrition as other things take their interest away while they're waiting for the game to finally come out.

Honestly, I think Nintendo's approach of announcing and releasing games over a short time span is the right way to go. I just think they fail to understand how to properly market these games, and how much money to allocate for marketing expenses.

I also think that it was actually a bad thing that Reggie ended up as President of NOA. As Head of Marketing, he did a lot of good things. As President, he has too much other stuff to deal with to turn his hand to the effective marketing that Nintendo needs, and they've yet to find someone with his skill to take his place.

justchris

Flying_Phoenix said:
Honestly I hardly ever watch TV yet ever time I do I nearly ALWAYS see these commercials.

And when I went to see Xmen Origins (eck!).

One commercial is hardly a marketing campaign, nor is is particularly aggressive, although a commercial before a solid summer male demographic blockbuster like Wolverine does support your argument.

Flying_Phoenix said:
GTA: CTW's legs possibly?

Are entirely normal with relation to the sales of most handheld games, and DS games especially, as well as the extremely good word of mouth for the title. Its own specialized advertising and its release immediately prior to a new hardware revision were also probably a factor.

Chumly said:

Making one assumption and then extrapolating from known data may sometimes provide a certain amount of insight. By the time you're making two different assumptions, your own cherry-picked data has crowded out whatever real info was there to start with. And you made three here. (And the idea that the top 20 games of all three systems that are outside the top 10 overall will average out the same is not a particularly defensible assumption.)

The idea that a game that fell outside the system-specific Top 20 sold 15k or less, on the other hand, is pretty justifiable based on what we know from old leaked data and from our occasional chances to extrapolate data ranges thanks to specific data points in past months. If we were looking at a particularly strong month or a particularly solid slate of Wii titles, that might be a good reason to question the idea, but we're not; nothing did particularly well in April 2009 outside the few perennial sellers.

If anything, I'd guess Madworld did well under 15k this month -- after all, nothing guarantees it was even close to making the top 20 -- but even giving it a ton of credit and assuming it somehow did something like 20k, we're still looking at a cap of 86k LTD and probably not enough momentum even to crawl to 100k.

justchris said:
One commercial is hardly a marketing campaign, nor is is particularly aggressive, although a commercial before a solid summer male demographic blockbuster like Wolverine does support your argument.

That was just one I found on Youtube there are many other versions. Trust me there are TONS of them just turn on your TV to ESPN or similar stations.

And yeah there were 3 DSi commercials before the movie started.

justchris said:
Are entirely normal with relation to the sales of most handheld games, and DS games especially, as well as the extremely good word of mouth for the title. Its own specialized advertising and its release immediately prior to a new hardware revision were also probably a factor.

But who were those who brought the game? I mean the game is "M" rated meaning that only those who are adults can buy it. Now obviously kids will buy it too (No I'm not going to ignore the white elephant in the room) but I highly doubt that irresponsible parents will be the result of the game selling on legs. Though this is a foolish statement as of now because it's only been two months. I'll be sure to keep this quote and see how much support it has in hindsight.

That saying one thing that supports my argument is that Nintendo asked Rockstar to create this game and there is no way that it's just mere coincidence that Nintendo started this campaign the same exact time of the games release.

donny2112

• The DS is now 2x the PSP in the U.S. (30.3m vs. 15.0m).
  • This month is the lowest average weekly sales for the PSP ever in the U.S.
  • The DS averaged a higher weekly total sold this month than in the November following the DSLite launch. Only Novembers and Decembers since then have passed this month's average weekly sales.

About the whole "games outside the top 20 are under 15K" thing; that seems low to me. However, I don't have anything to counter it. Anyone have a decent example of a leggy game that hung around near/outside the top 20 for a while? Perhaps something could be gleaned about its average monthly sales from periodic LTDs?
B-Rad Lascelle said:
That would really be Sony's best short-term maneuver. Launch a rebranded PS2 with a motion controller and balance board ripoff for $149. Granted, they wouldn't have the Nintendo IPs but for a $100 discount, some fresh marketing, a pure-profit-at-Day-1 guideline and the best back catalog in gaming, it couldn't hurt.
Confusing the market with two incompatible upgrade paths is not without risk. Some company thought it was a good idea to have both 32X and Saturn, too.

Then what do they do with the "Waggle PS2" if it's actually more successful than a blip? Continue supporting it into PS4 time frame? Drop it after two years so they don't get stuck in the position of trying to support 4-5 systems simultaneously, leaving customers to get their waggle fix elsewhere?

m3k

AniHawk said:
We're at the 30-month mark for the PS3 and Wii, and the 42-month mark for the Xbox 360. Compare this to last gen:

PS2 23,252,000 (42-month mark) (March 2004)
PS2 17,100,000 (30-month mark) (March 2003)

Xbox - 8,681,402 (30-month mark) (April 2004)
Xbox - 12,070,000 (42-month mark) (April 2005)

GCN - 7,393,241 (30-month mark) (April 2004)
GCN - 10,890,000 (42-month mark) (April 2005)

360 15,065,286 (42 months) (April 2009)
360 10,080,000 (30 months) (April 2008)

PS3 7,618,396 (30 months) (April 2009)

Wii 19,913,581 (30 months) (April 2009)

So the Wii's about 2.8-3m ahead of the PS2 at this point. The PS3 is about 300k ahead of the Gamecube (which only had that holiday season before it completely stopped selling), but it's over a million behind the first Xbox (which had a good year of sales left). This generation might make some sense if the two systems were switched, with the PS3 making gains on the PS2's enormous sales and the Wii improving slightly over the Gamecube.

EDIT: The 17.1m number for the PS2 was a complete guess on my part. It's actually about 38k off.

mad late but going through this thread this should be updated or something...useful for the not so saleage neogaf member

donny2112

PantherLotus said:
Could you explain the significance of that last point Donny? I think I'm missing the point.

Note that I use average weekly sales to be able to compare months of different # of weeks. With that in mind, the DS's average weekly sales in April 2009 were greater than DSLite's first November (Recall that November is usually greater than every other month in a year except for December). Only the December following the DSLite (2006) and the Novembers and Decembers since then have higher weekly averages than this month.

Essentially, DS just had another November in April.

USHandhelds-4.png

donny2112

JoshuaJSlone said:
Anyone have a decent example of a leggy game that hung around near/outside the top 20 for a while? Perhaps something could be gleaned about its average monthly sales from periodic LTDs?

In January 2003 (the closest 4-week month I have to April 2003, i.e. 4th year April for the system), PS2's #20 was ~50K.

OnPoint said:
Nice work.

De nada. :)

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
I should have my charts up sometime tomorrow to fill my quota of attention getting. Should they stay in here, get their own thread, or go in JVM's thread of analysis when it goes up?

Jesse2040

Jon said:
:lol I don't know how EEDAR could have been off on their estimate by almost 60K! WHAT HAPPENED.

For a reference on behind the calculation.

Nintendo spent about the same on the Rhythm Heaven marketing campaign as they did with the March Professor Layton campaign (it was within 6% of each other). I figured the Lisa Kudrow/Professor commercials would drive and equal amount of sales to the Beyonce /Rhythm Heaven plus additional sales from being a new release.

Surprisingly, Professor Layton in March performed equally to Rhythm Heaven in April.

Only element I could think of that made Rhythm Heaven fall short is the difference in size of the genres. Possibly that Professor Layton, a puzzle title, had a broader appeal than Rhythm Heaven, a music title. Or maybe Kudrow, who probably appeals to the 25-40 age range, has a larger base than Beyonce who probably appeals to the tween - 24 range.

What are your thoughts on the short-fall?

Chumly

charlequin said:
Making one assumption and then extrapolating from known data may sometimes provide a certain amount of insight. By the time you're making two different assumptions, your own cherry-picked data has crowded out whatever real info was there to start with. And you made three here. (And the idea that the top 20 games of all three systems that are outside the top 10 overall will average out the same is not a particularly defensible assumption.)

The idea that a game that fell outside the system-specific Top 20 sold 15k or less, on the other hand, is pretty justifiable based on what we know from old leaked data and from our occasional chances to extrapolate data ranges thanks to specific data points in past months. If we were looking at a particularly strong month or a particularly solid slate of Wii titles, that might be a good reason to question the idea, but we're not; nothing did particularly well in April 2009 outside the few perennial sellers.

If anything, I'd guess Madworld did well under 15k this month -- after all, nothing guarantees it was even close to making the top 20 -- but even giving it a ton of credit and assuming it somehow did something like 20k, we're still looking at a cap of 86k LTD and probably not enough momentum even to crawl to 100k.
Actually its not. On the Wii its easy to see that it potentially has 20-30 titles selling between 20k-50k outside the Wii top 20. I posted numbers to back my position up all your doing is pulling shit out of your ass when it doesnt even make sense.

Top Bottom