• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official GAF Albums of the Year 2005 thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Diablos said:
IMO, Beck excels at the Odelay/Guero sound rather than the more folky, acoustic-ish Sea Change stuff.
I'd say that my favorite Beck albums are Mellow Gold and Sea Change in that order. Not that I've heard them all extensively, just sayin'. Guy puts on a killer live set, but the stuff like Odelay gets on my nerves after a while on record. Just sayin'!

Also, the new Decemberists record is ace, as is everything else they've done. But for me, coming after The Tain pretty much made it a disappointment. And I think that everything that isn't like The Tain will be somewhat disappointing to me. But Colin Meloy is still a fabulous songwriter, and they do lots of lovely lovely music. Also, fantastic live band.

element

Mr. Spinnington said:
B000AMJD9W.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

:D
Surprise yay

"I'm fuckin! I'm gonna have a party!"
uggg. that album is a failure compared to how awesome amazing Let Go was

While getting one last Christmas present, I picked up an import of the Serena Maneesh album. I've only listened to it once through, but it probably would've made my top ten list for 2005. Seriously impressive Norwegian shoegazer music (reminds me of My Bloody Valentine, Stone Roses and Spiritualized), and you've even got Sufjan Stevens on flute for one track. Worth picking up if you can track down a copy.

serena_forside.jpg

White Man

distantmantra said:
While getting one last Christmas present, I picked up an import of the Serena Maneesh album. I've only listened to it once through, but it probably would've made my top ten list for 2005. Seriously impressive Norwegian shoegazer music (reminds me of My Bloody Valentine, Stone Roses and Spiritualized), and you've even got Sufjan Stevens on flute for one track. Worth picking up if you can track down a copy.

serena_forside.jpg

Yeah, I've been listening to that a lot. Terrene turned me on to it a few weeks ago. Highly recommended.

White Man said:
Yeah, I've been listening to that a lot. Terrene turned me on to it a few weeks ago. Highly recommended.

I read Pitchfork's review of it a while back, and have been trying to track down a copy at either Easy Street or Sonic Boom ever since... and then, today, lo and behold, Sonic Boom in Ballard had one for $16.

Diablos said:
Sold!

Distant, White Man, Terrene, when you hear of unique albums like this please inform ASAP! :D

Read Pitchfork... that's actually how I found out about this. It's not as bad as many believe.

As soon as the first track began, I instantly thought you'd like it.

Diablos

B-b-but I hate hate HATE HATE Pitchfork.

Aww, Distant thought of me. xoxoxoxo

But yeah, I'll have to get this album.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
probably nothing that hasn't been mentiond already, but..

NIN - with teeth
billy corgan - the futureembrace
anthony and the johnsons - i am a bird now
boards of canada - the campfire headphase
autolux - future perfect (even tho it came out in late 2004 :p )
MIA - arular ('pull up the people' brings back memories of waiting for NIN to take the stage in london :)
goldfrapp - supernature
madonna - confessions on a dance floor (despite 'i love new york')
fiona apple - extraordinary machine
i'm also quite partial to kelly osbourne's album :p

Diablos

I think you're the first to list Billy Corgan as one of your favorites. Glad you liked it. I thought it was a great CD, though not so sure if it's AOTY material.

Ollie Pooch

Diablos said:
I think you're the first to list Billy Corgan as one of your favorites. Glad you liked it. I thought it was a great CD, though not so sure if it's AOTY material.

yeah, more one of my favs of the year :)
i hated it for ages - but recently it's really grown on me. especially mina loy *bows*

Diablos

I really like A100's gloomy atmosphere, DIA's dreamy, My Bloody Valentine inspired guitar tone and texture (it weaves in and out of the violin in a similar way), and I'm Ready is pretty surreal as well (even if the lyrics are corny as hell, I love the music).

Ollie Pooch

yeah i love the guitars + synths - sorta makes me think of a futurised 'disintegration', with that wall-of-sound effect :)

if that makes any sense at all :lol

Diablos

Nah, that's exactly what it is if you think about it. It owes a lot to The Cure, Depeche Mode and MBV. That's what it IS, a meshing of all of that.

edit: Have you heard Tilt? It's one of the b-sides from TFE. I think it should've been on the album.

Dilbert

Thought I'd bump this to add one more album to my "mixes of the year" category. (If people haven't read my Loki-esque post on a previous page, please read it so I don't feel like I wasted a ton of time writing it.)

My GF got me the import album (well, in the U.S., anyway) Later by Bent, and it's OUTSTANDING. It's one of the best "eclectic downtempo" albums that I've heard -- right up there with the Back To Mine entry from Groove Armada. It's highly recommended if you can find it...but from what she told me, it was NOT easy to get me a copy for Christmas.

Nick

The more and more I listen to Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, the more I appreciate what they were trying to do with it all. At first I thought it was kinda bland, but now it sounds really spectacular. I think it's going to make my final list at the end of the year.

And the new Deerhoof is really great. I'm digging it.

dot-Nick said:
The more and more I listen to Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, the more I appreciate what they were trying to do with it all. At first I thought it was kinda bland, but now it sounds really spectacular. I think it's going to make my final list at the end of the year.

I'm glad someone else is able to move past the "let's hate it because it's cool to hate it, but I can't tell who originally decided to hate it" mentality towards CYHSY. It's a really fun album that I've enjoyed since I got back in July during the mad rush to secure a copy.

distantmantra said:
I'm glad someone else is able to move past the "let's hate it because it's cool to hate it, but I can't tell who originally decided to hate it" mentality towards CYHSY. It's a really fun album that I've enjoyed since I got back in July during the mad rush to secure a copy.
I genuinely really dislike it.

enjoy bell woods said:
I genuinely really dislike it.

Nothing wrong with that, I understand people who really don't care for it. I've run into numerous people in real life that vehemently "hate" it, only to find out that they, along with myself, bought it back in June, and secretly love it. It didn't make my top ten, but I like it.

Nick

I never disliked Clap Your Hands. I just never really thought they were anything special... up until recently. Heart Heart Heart

distantmantra said:
Nothing wrong with that, I understand people who really don't care for it. I've run into numerous people in real life that vehemently "hate" it, only to find out that they, along with myself, bought it back in June, and secretly love it. It didn't make my top ten, but I like it.
There's definitely nothing there to hate. It just doesn't elicit a strong response from me in any way. I think lots of people think it's fashionable to hate because of the band's name and Pitchfork's rec.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Of all the new music I've been exposed to this year (via this board mainly, THANKS!), I'd have to say my AOTY 2005 is:

Antony & The Johnsons - I am A Bird Now

Wow, just... wow. A close second is Sigur Ros - Takk...

kablooey

I like a few of the songs by Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, actually. "Skin of My Yellow Country Teeth" especially is really fun. :) The only real problem I have with them, and other bands that sound similar, is that they copy the sound of bands that I really cherish like the Talking Heads and Gang of Four, but without adding anything substantive of their own. Everyone's got influences, but what makes a band great is how they twist those influences for their own purposes in unique and original ways. CYHSY needs to do some work on that last bit.

My $.02.

pjberri

Crotchety Old Man
Lambtron said:
I'd say that my favorite Beck albums are Mellow Gold and Sea Change in that order. Not that I've heard them all extensively, just sayin'. Guy puts on a killer live set, but the stuff like Odelay gets on my nerves after a while on record. Just sayin'!.
I like Sea Change a lot, too. Beck "fans" are dicks for shitting on it.

White Man

enjoy bell woods said:
There's definitely nothing there to hate. It just doesn't elicit a strong response from me in any way. I think lots of people think it's fashionable to hate because of the band's name and Pitchfork's rec.

Agreed. They're the sound of generic indie rock, circa 2005.

Zilch

Banned
I saw CYHSY on Letterman or Leno last week and their performance was just embarrassing. They played their instruments without any enthusiasm and the singer just warbled in such an embarrassing way. Dude can't sing.

I'm afraid I must include Prozzak's Cruel Cruel World in my list somehow.

I ordered an autographed copy from maplemusic.com a couple of weeks ago, and I can't stop listening to it.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
pjberri said:
I like Sea Change a lot, too. Beck "fans" are dicks for shitting on it.

I loved Sea Change, and at first was turned off of Guero because it wasn't more of SC, but since then it's grown on me and now I love them both for what they are: great Beck albums.

Nate

terrene

Banned
Diablos said:
Sold!

Distant, White Man, Terrene, when you hear of unique albums like this please inform ASAP! :D
I've got a good band for you. It's called Terrene!

www.terrene.net

Actually, all of our friends in the "top 8" on our myspace page are fucking great. I whore them out to everyone I know. I even got the guitar player for one of those bands a job at Microsoft!

www.myspace.com/terrene

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom