• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official GAF Albums of the Year 2005 thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matix

WHAT MADE MILWAUKEE FAMOUS: Trying To Never Catch Up:
wmmfAlbum.jpg

DAFT PUNK: Human After All:
B0007DAZW8.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

KATAMARI DAMACY: We Love KD:
st-welovekatamari-jp.jpg

FALL OUT BOY: Under The Cork Tree:
B000929AU0.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

BECK: Guero:
B0007SL1LW.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

MY CHEMICAL ROMANCE: Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge:
B00025ETIW.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

GORRILAZ: Demon Days:
B00082IJ08.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

JOHN LEGEND: Get Lifted:
B0002X314C.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

FOO FIGHTERS: In Your Honor:
B0009HLDFU.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

IMOGEN HEAP: Speak For Yourself:
B000B7BZM4.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

WEEZER: Make Believe:
B000850JP8.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

OK-GO: Oh No:
B000ADWD4I.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

KANYE WEST: Late Regastration:
B0009WPKY0.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

YMCK: Family Music:
top.gif

This collection gotta be some of the gayest shit on here, but oh well :D !!

Synth pop?
I've heard some of their stuff; I'd argue that they're a bit more complex than that.

I'm not implying their music (or the genre) is basic and their newer stuff does explore more styles of electronic, but without breaking every song into some electro sub-genre, synth pop is what I'd label them as. Your comment sounds like you consider them being referred to as that as derogatory, but I'm not sure what the issue is. I never said synth pop isn't complex. Is it calling them pop where you have an issue?

Edit: Honestly, they are a hard group to finger, since they have been around a long time and have changed quite a bit over the years. I'd say their biggest days were in the 80s though (again, I'm no expert on them) and that era was very pop-ish. Their newer stuff (from what I've heard) uses more elements from trance and house, so I don't know what you'd want to label them as.

Edit 2 (I'm bored): What would you consider Depeche Mode?

New Order is snyth pop, Depeche Mode is synth pop. And they're damn good at it.

Pop does not equate to meaningless drivel. Pop can have substance just as much as any other genre label we've created.

White Man

I was disappointed by the new New Order album. It's the only one I'm not so fond of outside of Republic, which is a solid album, but just weak compared to what came before.

White Man said:
I was disappointed by the new New Order album. It's the only one I'm not so fond of outside of Republic, which is a solid album, but just weak compared to what came before.

I too was letdown by Before the Siren's Call. I think I've listened to it all of twice, whereas Get Ready is still high in my rotation (mostly due to Crystal).

White Man

distantmantra said:
I too was letdown by Before the Siren's Call. I think I've listened to it all of twice, whereas Get Ready is still high in my rotation (mostly due to Crystal).

Don't lie. We know you're into Get Ready for the Corgan :)

(Yeah, Crystal is probably one of my favorite songs by them. I remember being shock that not only was Get Ready competent, but it kicked major ass.)

White Man said:
Don't lie. We know you're into Get Ready for the Corgan :)

(Yeah, Crystal is probably one of my favorite songs by them. I remember being shock that not only was Get Ready competent, but it kicked major ass.)

I passed that mantle off to Diablos long long ago, and I don't think he wants it anymore. If anyone else would like the title of GAF's very own Insanely Subjective Corgan Freak, let us know. With that said, the Corgan track isn't bad, and it was damn cool seing him perform with New Order during the Area festival.

Crystal isn't just one of my favorite NO songs, it's probably one of my favorite songs of all time.

Diablos

Jesus.

Can I not like and appreciate Billy Corgan's efforts but not be labeled as some obsessed fan? I'm an obsessed SP fan if anything, and I appreciate what Billy's done afterwards, but I'm not doubting his best days are behind him unless he stops being such a pussy about no Darcy and James and just gets the Pumpkins (and his career) back together again. I don't have Billy posters on my wall, I don't have some Pumpkins shrine in my room.

If you think my avatar contradicts this statement, sorry, Billy with a duck on his head is awesome regardless of how you look at it :lol

The New Order track is decent.

Diablos said:
Jesus.

Can I not like and appreciate Billy Corgan's efforts but not be labeled as some obsessed fan? I'm an obsessed SP fan if anything, and I appreciate what Billy's done afterwards, but I'm not doubting his best days are behind him unless he stops being such a pussy about no Darcy and James and just gets the Pumpkins (and his career) back together again. I don't have Billy posters on my wall, I don't have some Pumpkins shrine in my room.

If you think my avatar contradicts this statement, sorry, Billy with a duck on his head is awesome regardless of how you look at it :lol

The New Order track is decent.

A couple years ago on GAF, you came off really obsessed, but no more, as I stated in my post up above. Did you read the whole thing or stop once I mentioned you? I think U2KTheGreatest would probably fill the role of current SP freak.

The avatar does rule. What the hell was he doing with a duck on his head?

Diablos

I dunno, but it's awesome :D

(LegendaryU2K is a fake, posting style and all.
He goes by "Izzy" on another forum.)

I totally overreacted a couple years ago with Zwan, yeah, I was pumped up. I'll never do that again.
Unless the Pumpkins record and tour again, but that'll make more sense.
And it's too bad things didn't work out, because a true Corgan/Sweeney/Pajo guitar attack as hinted in MSOTS (the actual song, not that sloppy album) would've been unbelievable. They still did some great live shows, so it wasn't a total waste, but who knows what could've been.

Meier

New Order is most definitely not industrial. And that new Daft Punk album was awful -- coming from a long time fan. It was entirely too plodding... they were just trying to be out there I think with this release and decided to eschew actual melodies.

Mifune

Mehmber
Okay, here's my oh-so-eagerly-awaited list for the year that is 2005. It's not final, but it's close.

1. Okkervil River - Black Sheep Boy
g73049ywknd.jpg

The battle for Album of the Year was a massacre. Nothing came close to matching the wit, beauty, and soul of Okkervil's latest full-length. I liked the band before, but this album pushed me into obsessed fandom.

2. Sleater-Kinney - The Woods
g80151yk7pv.jpg

Just pure rock-and-roll bombast. God bless Dave Fridmann for unleashing the girls' inner cock rocker.

3. The Constantines - Tournament of Hearts
h04811jdswo.jpg

This album is working class rock stripped down to its heart. A perfect summary of everything this band has achieved so far, with an extra dose of heartache.

4. Deerhoof - The Runners Four
h04753ly719.jpg

A kaleidoscope of noise and pop smarts. The band's longest and most rewarding album.

5. Sufjan Stevens - Illinois
g90745ch3u3.jpg

Not his best work, but in a year when bands seemed to want to outbland each other, Sufjan's 70+ minute concept album stood out. Literate, ambitious, and surprisingly addictive.

Other good stuff:

Edan - Beauty and the Beat
Black Mountain - s/t
LCD Soundsystem - s/t
The Books - Lost and Safe
The Decemberists - Picaresque
My Morning Jacket - Z
Mount Eerie - No Flashlight
Super Furry Animals - Love Kraft
Andrew Bird - The Mysterious Production of Eggs

All in all, a decent year. Lots of good albums, but few great ones. 2006 is looking pretty good, with new stuff from Flaming Lips, Destroyer, Mogwai, Belle and Sebastian, among others.

I'm really liking Gogogo Airheart's "Rats! Sing! Sing!". Not AOTY material of course, but this is the most recent music thread. Quick, someone make a "whatya listening too" thread. :lol

B000B6TRFC.01._SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

swoon

if anyone is keeping record john legend - get lifted was a late 2004 release.

1.Smog - A River Ain't Too Much To Love
2. Xiu Xiu - La Foret
3. The Hold Steady - Separation Sunday
4. Devendra Banhart - Cripple Crow
5. Silver Jews - Tanglewood Numbers
6. Antony and the Johnsons - I Am A Bird Now
7. David Banner - Certified
8. Juelez Santana – What The Game's Been Missing
9. Ryan Adams - Jacksonville City Nights
10. Fiery Furnaces - Rehearsing My Choir

11. Constantines - Tournament of Hearts
12. Robbie Fulks – Georgia Hard
13. Sons & Daughters - The Repulsion Box
14. Clor - S/T
15. Circle of Dead Children - Zero Comfort Margin
16. Jens Lekman – Oh You Are So Silent Jens
17. Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - Howl
18. Black Mountain – Black Mountain
19. Lil Wayne – Carter II
20. The Gospel - The Moon Is A Dead World

21. Ricci Rucker - Fuga
22. Ryan Adams – Cold Roses
23. Busdriver - Fear of a Black Tangent
24. White Stripes - Get Thee Behind Me Satan
25. The Ponys - Celebration Castle
25. Art Brut - Bang Bang Rock and Roll
26. Miss Alex White And The Red Orchestra - Miss Alex White And The Red Orchestra
27. Blood On The Wall - Awesomer
28. Vashti Bunyan - Lookaftering
29. Wilco – Kicking Television
30. Skeletons and The Girl Face Boys – Git

31. Richard Swift – The Novelists/Walking Without Effort
32. Angels of Light – Sing 'Other People'
33. Lara Cantrell – Humming By The Flowered Vine
34. Shelby Lynne – Suit Yourself
35. Joggers - With a Cape and a Cane
36. Shooter Jennings - Put The "O" Back in Country
37. Sharon Jones and the Dap-Kings – Naturally
38. Why? - Elephant Eyelash
39. Cat Power – The Greatest
40. Edith Frost – It's A Game

41. Sufjan Stevens – Illinois
42. The National – Alligator
43. Mike Jones – Who Is?
44. Kayne West – Late Registration
45. Enslaved – Isa
46. Richard Hawley - Coles Corner
47. Doves – Some Cities
48. Kathleen Edwards – Back To Home
49. Paul Wall – The People's Champ
50. Franz Ferdinand – You Could Have It Better With

51. Josh Rouse – Nashville
51. GoGoGo Airheart – Rats! Sing! Sing!
52. Superwolf – Superwolf
53. Missy Elliot – The Cookbook
54. The Moaners – Dark Snack
55. Common – Be
56. M.Ward – Transistor Radio
57. Deerhoof – Runners Four
58. Kenny Chesney – Be As You Are
59. Colder – Heat
60. Bloc Party – Silent Alarm

All right. A serious list, by me:

1. Gruff Rhys, Yr Atal Genhedlaeth
2. Isolee, We Are Monster
3. Kraftwerk, Minimum Maximum
4. Vashti Bunyan, Lookaftering
5. Deerhoof, The Runners Four
6. John Cale, Black Acetate
7. Edan, Beauty and the Beat
8. Broadcast, Tender Buttons
9. Kate Bush, Aerial
10. SFA, Love Kraft

Disappointments: Supergrass, Sufjan Stevens, Animal Collective, British Sea Power

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
1. deerhoof - the runners four
2. okkervil river - black sheep boy
3. dälek - absence
4. boris - pink
5. sleater-kinney - the woods
6. devendra banhart - cripple crow
7. thunderbirds are now! - justamustache
8. angels of light - sing "other people"
9. broken social scene - broken social scene
10. franz ferdinand - you could have it so much better
11. the raveonettes - pretty in black
12. the boy least likely to - the best party ever
13. the game - the documentary
14. sufjan stevens - illinois
15. kanye west - late registration
16. patrick wolf - wind in the wires
17. bright eyes - digital ash in a digital urn
18. antony & the johnsons - i am a bird now
19. xbxrx - sixth in sixes
20. cage - hell's winter

I'm too lazy to do anything else, OR go through and capitalize all of that! But yeah, that's how it stands for me. If I had a few weeks, I think that the new Sunn O))) and Jackie-O Motherfucker would end up in there. But alas, I have to make it soon. So yeah. There you go.

Diablos

White Man said:
Can we have a disappointments of the year thread? I actually like hating things more than I like enjoying them.
Just post them here... I posted my AOTY's, good albums, and crap.
Fire away... this thread needs some flava. :D

AOTY:

The Mighty Rearranger ~ Robert Plant And The Strange Sensation

It is far and away the best album released this year. Plant is in searing form on it. It matches or exceeds a sizable portion of Led Zeppelins output.

AND NONE OF YOU BASTARDS BOUGHT IT!

Seriously, of all the bands that deserve to be listened to that GAF has ignored, this is the worst.

Outside of Thraktor I don't know of a single other GAFer that has ever mentioned the album.

teepo

best of the year
boards of canada - campfire headpahse
deerhoof - the runners four
sigur ros - takk
lightning bolt - hypermagic mountain
mia - arular
kanye west - late registration
edan - beauty and the beast
system of a down - mezmerize
system of a down - hypnotize
sleater-kinney - the woods

shit of the year
bright eyes
dashboard
coldplay
oasis

wtf happened?
broken social scene

swoon said:
the new jackie - o - motherfucker is really amazing. top 20 at least.
Who is Jackie-O Motherfucker?

Oh yeah, that Venetian Snares with the weird title is pretty much defeating half of my list. My list sucks, as a matter of fact. I definitely need to hold off until the 31st until my definitive list sees light.

Diablos said:
Besides Boards of Canada, can you explain why you picked those? They look really interesting.

probably because they're great albums. Really though, I'm horrible at describing music so I'll just post the cdnow descriptions...

thievery corporation - the cosmic game

There's always been a psychedelic edge to Rob Garza and Eric Hilton's Thievery Corporation project. 2000's Mirror Conspiracy is a downtempo classic precisely because of its druggy expansiveness; sober listeners and saucer-eyed trippers alike could find common ground. Similarly esoteric and nocturnal, The Cosmic Game floats around the room on a wave of mystic beats and guest vocals from Perry Farrell, The Flaming Lips' Wayne Coyne, and David Byrne. Garza and Hilton are less devoted to non-electronic sources here than they were on The Richest Man in Babylon or The Outernational Sound, though their fascination with dub rhythms and world music remains intact. A fair amount of armchair travel is involved as you go from the late, late-night, beach-club-in-Jamaica sound of "Amerimacka," to the Brazilian percussion of "Ambicion Eterna" and "Pela Janela." But more than anything, the record feels like a return to the duo's own ethereal sonic roots. It's a nice blend of their music over the last half-decade for longtime fans, and a hazy glide down the rabbit hole for newcomers. --Matthew Cooke

album leaf - seal beach ep

Originally released in Spain in 2003, this very special version of The Album Leaf’s Seal Beach EP is finally released in the United States! The Seal Beach EP on Better Looking features four songs from the original EP, plus "For Jonathan," which replaces an original. In addition, Jimmy LaValle has handpicked five live performances from his tour with Sigur Ros, included as bonus tracks – and it’s all wrapped up in a beautiful digipack. The Album Leaf is Jimmy LaValle, a classically trained, prolific pianist and musician whose ambitious projects have involved San Diego’s seminal ambient post-rock outfit Tristeza, noise punks The Locust and the gloomy, brooding epic-core Black Heart Procession. This special domestic release of the Seal Beach EP follows the recent success of The Album Leaf’s critically acclaimed full-length In a Safe Place on Sub Pop Records.

tosca - j.a.c

Tosca are in full hypnosis mode for J.A.C., as the Viennese duo of Richard Dorfmeister and Rupert Huber again show off their mastery of jazzy ambience. Dorfmeister and Huber have been busy since 2003’s Dehli9, having had three kids between them (the album title is an acronym of their offspring’s names) in the interim. Perhaps seeking a respite from the hectic onset of fatherhood, they’ve infused J.A.C. with a romp of bass lines and Bossa, staying away from the druggier, avant-garde material found on Dehli9. At first, it plays a bit too breezy, but later the record reveals more depth. Blunt-friendly beats make their way into the mix; "The Big Sleep" goes pretty deep into its own navel before the funk of "Damentag" brightens the mood. A few more listens, and you’ll notice more musical diversity and the easy way Dorfmeister and Huber segue from chilly ("Naschkatze") to friendly ("Zuri"). Distinctive vocals from usual suspects Earl Zinger and Farda P along with newcomers Samiah Farah and Chris Eckman (of the Seattle-based Walkabouts) add spice. Once J.A.C. is in your player, it may be awhile before you take it out. –Matthew Cooke

kablooey

This'll probably make me sound really unhip, but I don't get The Runners Four. I like some of Deerhoof's other stuff (Milk Man was fun), but Runners Four is just...meh, to me. I only heard it recently though, so maybe I need a while to let it sink in.

GG-Duo

renvi said:
PA.49176.002.jpg

Jay Chou - November's Chopin

I have a friend that loves this record and swears it's his best.
but to me it sounds like all of his previous albums - there are 2 good tracks, tops.

Yeah, I really don't like The Runner's Four as much as I did at first. it's their most... generic album.. it's missing a lot of what I like about them. That's not to say it doesn't have it's fair share of awesome tunes ("Scream Team," "Running Thoughs," "Midnight BiCycle Mystery," "Lightning Rod, Run" and a few others are totally amazing), but as a whole it's sort of underwhelming.. I'll just stick to Apple 'O. They're still an amazing bands though.. one of my absolute faves.. in fact I'm seeing them live again on Jan. 30th. I'm hoping TR4 is just a transitional album and their next record will be more solid.

kablooey said:
This'll probably make me sound really unhip, but I don't get The Runners Four. I like some of Deerhoof's other stuff (Milk Man was fun), but Runners Four is just...meh, to me. I only heard it recently though, so maybe I need a while to let it sink in.
I think it's their only good album. Everything else is total garbage.

kablooey

Heh. I'm generally not into bands that go for that whole "pixie-stick buzz" brand of pop/rock (see also: Animal Collective). Milk Man is the only other Deerhoof album I like, because it was actually sort of focused. Runners 4 feels way too all over the place for me, and the songs don't really stand out very much compared to their last one.

kablooey said:
Heh. I'm generally not into bands that go for that whole "pixie-stick buzz" brand of pop/rock (see also: Animal Collective). Milk Man is the only other Deerhoof album I like, because it was actually sort of focused. Runners 4 feels way too all over the place for me, and the songs don't really stand out very much compared to their last one.
If Animal Collective did an album full of "April and the Phantom," it'd be the greatest album ever.

White Man

Deerhoof has been going through a process of homogenization over the course of their last two albums. I like Reveille best and then Apple'O . Milk Man and this one are like Deerhoof Lite.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom