• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Genso Suikoden V thread

Bebpo

Banned
Cool, thanks.

I want to play SV because the story was interesting and I want to start collecting people, but work obligations are keeping me away atm and then my love for Atlus R&D1 is gonna make me choose Devil Summoner over it when it comes out next week :\

Maybe if DS is really short I'll have a week to spend on SV before FFXII. Otherwise I'll probably play it in April :(

MrDaravon

If this goes against Kingdom Hearts 2, it's GONNA GET RAPED. I'm buying both though.

Bebpo said:
Yeah, I don't max characters to lvl.99 in any game just for the fun of it. In Suikoden games I get all 108 stars and I beat the game, that's about it. Suikoden II took me about 20 hours to do that.

WHAT? I have an incredibly hard time believing you beat Suikoden 2 and got all the stars without using any guides in 20 hours. And I've gone through the game like 5 times. I can do Suikoden 1 in 15 or so hours doing everything, because I have the game more or less memorized, but 2?

Tabris

20 hours really isn't that hard.

I have trouble getting the Clive story in time because I spend at least 1-2 hours in the beginning fighting rabbits for double beat runes.

I3rand0

SailorDaravon said:
I have an incredibly hard time believing you beat Suikoden 2 and got all the stars without using any guides in 20 hours. And I've gone through the game like 5 times. I can do Suikoden 1 in 15 or so hours doing everything, because I have the game more or less memorized, but 2?
Agreed, theres no way to get all 108 stars and finish this game in 20 hours with or without guides.

ethelred

Tabris said:
Yeah there is. Infact, you need to to beat Clive's side quest.

Yeah, but you can't get all 108 Stars and beat Clive's quest. Or at least, I don't see how it can be done. If someone's done it, then that's pretty damned impressive.

Tabris

ethelred said:
Yeah, but you can't get all 108 Stars and beat Clive's quest. Or at least, I don't see how it can be done. If someone's done it, then that's pretty damned impressive.

I have. It's not that hard when you know where everything is and don't waste your time.

Only thing I can't do is get 10-20 doublebeats, 108 stars, all items you can miss (damn that one recipe) and get to end of game in 20 hours. Takes me like 24 just due to having to spend so much time fighting monsters for those random drop items.

I got all 108 and Clive, not a big problem. I wasted lots of time fleeing from battles to get Stallion early, after that everything was really fast.

Bebpo

Banned
SailorDaravon said:
If this goes against Kingdom Hearts 2, it's GONNA GET RAPED. I'm buying both though.

Yeah, you'd think Konami US would be smart and delay it a few weeks to seperate it from KH2, but they wont and it's just going to sell worse than every other Suikoden to date in the US I'd wager.

Not that it really matters though, these games are soooooo low-budget I'm sure they make money on them. Especially since each sells around 100k in Japan.

All Suikoden fans should buy V though, since it's a step back on the right track torwards a good Suikoden game and because it'll show Konami US there's still a fanbase in the west.

Bebpo said:
Yeah, you'd think Konami US would be smart and delay it a few weeks to seperate it from KH2, but they wont and it's just going to sell worse than every other Suikoden to date in the US I'd wager.

Not that it really matters though, these games are soooooo low-budget I'm sure they make money on them. Especially since each sells around 100k in Japan.

All Suikoden fans should buy V though, since it's a step back on the right track torwards a good Suikoden game and because it'll show Konami US there's still a fanbase in the west.

and hopefully encourage more US/JP development/localization (and I mean localization during the development process.. otherwise I don't see how they could pull off a March release for the US) on future rpgs..

Bebpo

Banned
Himuro said:
Himu's been doing the job right. Another sale. Cha cha chaaaaaa Konami, where's my paycheck? We shall lose this battle against Kingdom Hearts II, but we will go down trying..unlike Konami US.

Good luck on the mission. Heck you've even started to get me liking the game :p

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Apologies if you've already rated it Bebpo, but what score would you give the game so far? How would you have scored Suikos III, IV, and Tactics, by comparison?

Thanks.

Bebpo

Banned
Mejilan said:
Apologies if you've already rated it Bebpo, but what score would you give the game so far? How would you have scored Suikos III, IV, and Tactics, by comparison?

Thanks.

I haven't played enough to really say overall. I'll just say that from what I've played II>I>V>III=IV.

Tabris

I'm sorry, but unless Suikoden V has characters as great as Jowy and Shu, there's no way it would ever outrank II.

Slightly off topic, but I really like the way the strategist in this game (don't know her name as I'm on spoiler black out) looks like a female version of Zhuge Liang (see chinese history/Three Kingdoms novels/ROTK-Dynasty Warriors video games)

After skimming through the media in this thread I'm convinced. This game looks awesome. Put me down for a copy on 3/28

Wait a minute, it's releasing the SAME DAY as Kingdom Hearts 2?

I knew it was the same month, but damn. :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Bebpo said:
I haven't played enough to really say overall. I'll just say that from what I've played II>I>V>III=IV.

Thank you. :) Didn't want to read everything in case of spoilers. Have they totally dropped the save game linking from game to game, then?

Tabris said:
I've read (and own) The Water Margin. It's nothing like the games really.

Actually, quite a few scenes in the first game are taken right out of it, like the search for the special weapons against the armored cavalry and the repeated use of innkeepers who drg their guests.

Still, it is quite different. Good read though. I still have to finish the last book and then start on my copies of Three Kingdoms.

Tabris

Diomedeskun said:
Actually, quite a few scenes in the first game are taken right out of it, like the search for the special weapons against the armored cavalry and the repeated use of innkeepers who drg their guests.

Still, it is quite different. Good read though. I still have to finish the last book and then start on my copies of Three Kingdoms.

Yeah, little bit here and there, but it's not like ROTK/Dynasty Warriors is to the Three Kingdoms books.

I would say it bases a bit more off Three Kingdoms actually.

Also off topic, Lu Bu was very much a key player in the beginning. He was feared by all, but it was his own stubborness (if only he listened to Chen Gong) and pride that was his downfall. So I can see him being compared to Luca Blight.

duckroll

Gensou Suikoden literally means "Imaginary/Fantasy Water Margin". The game is based on the THEMES of the novel (108 'heroes', rebelling against a corrupt government, war, the plight of the common people, etc) but the entire story and characters are most definitely NOT. Any similarities people try to draw between the characters in Suikoden games and characters in the Water Margin can simply be chalked up to similar archetypes present in all stories of this sort. :D

not so awesome if you're like me and can't read kanji for crap. i wish this game had more speaking. my listening skills are far superior to my reading abilities...

SkoOBoi

Banned
RPG Soundtracks have the best music in the game industry. Wild Arms, Wild Arms II, Suikoden these are all great games with even better sountracks.

Tabris

Brian Fellows said:
RPG music is the most overrated crap ever.

I'm sorry you can't get into music that's not featured in EA TRACKS but for the rest of us civilized people, we'll enjoy the best genre for video game music.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Tabris said:
I'm sorry you can't get into music that's not featured in EA TRACKS but for the rest of us civilized people, we'll enjoy the best genre for video game music.

:lol

EA tracks? No that shit is worse than overrated. Its just plain bad.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Himuro if you know this spoil it me.

is Pesmerga in the game?

MrDaravon

Himuro said:
More like 2 more weeks. The release date is now March 21, 2006

What the fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck?

I'm glad to see they bumped it up a week to avoid extremely direct competition with KH2, but I was expecting it to get pushed back instead. I've had my preordered at EB in-store for a while now, did we ever hear anything about that supposed artbook/soundtrack preorder bonus?

MrDaravon

Himuro said:
You're acting like this is a bad thing. :p

I get my most anticipated game of the year one week earlier than expected!

I'm busy and shit, I won't have time to play it earlyyyyyyyyy. My girlfriend's going through 2 now, so she might actually get to it before me anyway. Regardless, I wish I could get some confirmation on the artbook thingie. Still no word on it from EB or GS online, or Konami's site. I missed out on the artbook for 4 =/.

Yossarian

SailorDaravon said:
Regardless, I wish I could get some confirmation on the artbook thingie. Still no word on it from EB or GS online, or Konami's site. I missed out on the artbook for 4 =/.
My b&m EB confirmed the artbook/soundtrack giveaway and even had a flier to notify customers along with the other preorder deals.

MrDaravon

Yossarian said:
My b&m EB confirmed the artbook/soundtrack giveaway and even had a flier to notify customers along with the other preorder deals.

That flier went out a couple months ago, and there has been literally no word or anything besides the little blurb on there. Nothing online, instore, or from Konami. I don't doubt it exists, but I've never seen a preorder bonus like that NOT be online on either site, so I don't know what's going on with it.

Damn! I was gonna get Guitar Freaks/DM V in a week, now I probably need to wait. And that game is much more likely to become stupidly rare very soon...

ethelred

Himuro said:
I'm making a guide for Suikoden V, which I will post on a few sites (namely gamefaqs). Anyways, I play Suikoden games at a moderate speed. I don't rush but I don't play them slowly either. Since the game has so many options and seems pretty damn openended, it would really be beneficial to me and my guide if I had someone helping me out. We'll play the game and use different dialouge options so we can see how deep this game truly is, and present our results in the guide. If this game is going have stars available at certain times depending on what story choices you make, more than one playthrough will be required to see all the game has to offer. With a partner, it'll make all of this easier. Ofcourse, if someone isn't willing to partake in assisting me, I will gladly do this myself by playing through the game two or three times in a row. I was planning on doing that anyways with all the (supposedly) story effecting choices you have anyways.

Himuro: I'm game, if you're still looking for partners.

MrDaravon

My local EB got in the preorder bonus yesterday! It's an artbook PLUS Soundtrack sampler. I'm unable to take pics right now, but it's about dimensions of a PS2 case, and when you open it up the CD is in a sleeve to the left, and you take the artbook out of the right side. The artbook is pretty nice, 40-something pages I believe. For a free preorder bonus it's very nice. They just had them sitting out, so this is going to be a case of you'll need to ask them for it, they probably aren't holding them specifically for preorders.

SailorDaravon said:
My local EB got in the preorder bonus yesterday! It's an artbook PLUS Soundtrack sampler. I'm unable to take pics right now, but it's about dimensions of a PS2 case, and when you open it up the CD is in a sleeve to the left, and you take the artbook out of the right side. The artbook is pretty nice, 40-something pages I believe. For a free preorder bonus it's very nice. They just had them sitting out, so this is going to be a case of you'll need to ask them for it, they probably aren't holding them specifically for preorders.

The preorder bonus just popped up on Gamestop's website. Just ordered a copy.

http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product_id=B281511A

Himuro said:
On a similar issue, the game seems to use a lot of processing power because when there are many characters in one screen, the game slows down noticeably. The worst case is that one particular rune spell animation can actually cause the game to freeze (but this is probably for older PS2 models, because I have never experienced this myself). Make sure you save often!

Game of the year 2006.

As much as I love Suikoden, I wouldn't call a game with severe frame rate issues and the possibility that casting a spell may freeze up your PS2 "game of the year."

MrDaravon

distantmantra said:
As much as I love Suikoden, I wouldn't call a game with severe frame rate issues and the possibility that casting a spell may freeze up your PS2 "game of the year."

Ditto. He also glosses over a couple things in the review I wouldn't have.

Realistically at this point I'm just hoping for something that's better than 3 and 4, and this will probably deliver, so I can't really complain. I won't get to play this for a while since my girlfriend will probably be on Suikoden 3 by then, so the PS2 will be taken =/.

Top Bottom