• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Genso Suikoden V thread

Abel

Suikoden V sounds and looks amazing I can't wait to play it :)! Not to flame or anything :), but I've noticed that all the haters for games like this or Baten Kaitos, etc. always find some kind of "fault" with the game or are trying to look for something "wrong" with the game rather than just enjoying it. With that kind of outlook on games their repetoire of choices of "good" (which is in the eye of the beholder) games to look forward to comes to a grand total of 3 :lol (The only games the "rpg critics" on this board seem to be looking forward to are FFXII (can you say MMORPG in RPG clothing?), Mother 3, Valkyrie Profile 2, and maybe Children of Mana :lol ) Long story short, remove the reviewer tinted glasses and enjoy the game for what it is/offers :D

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Abel said:
Suikoden V sounds and looks amazing I can't wait to play it :)! Not to flame or anything :), but I've noticed that all the haters for games like this or Baten Kaitos, etc. always find some kind of "fault" with the game or are trying to look for something "wrong" with the game rather than just enjoying it. With that kind of outlook on games their repetoire of choices of "good" (which is in the eye of the beholder) games to look forward to comes to a grand total of 3 :lol (The only games the "rpg critics" on this board seem to be looking forward to are FFXII (can you say MMORPG in RPG clothing?), Mother 3, Valkyrie Profile 2, and maybe Children of Mana :lol ) Long story short, remove the reviewer tinted glasses and enjoy the game for what it is/offers :D

While I'm all for enjoying a game for what it offers, your point is lost somewhere along with the quality of Baten Kaitos.

Abel

I'd pick BK over FF12 anyday :lol besides quality is subjective, absolutes are slim to none ^^. But I don't want to derail the thread any further so I'll leave it at that. On a lighter note, I hope Pesmerga appears in Suikoden V :D

duckroll

Abel said:
Long story short, remove the reviewer tinted glasses and enjoy the game for what it is/offers :D

So if a game is shallow, boring, has tons of loading and compares on a graphical level with first-generation PS2 games, it should still be enjoyed for what it is (shitty) and what it offers (nothing much) simply because errrr..... I don't even know how it is going to end! :lol

Abel

Let's see... shallow = subjective, boring = very subjective, loading = impatience (I've played an innumerable amount of rpgs and I still don't see the issue :lol ) and graphics = cuz we all know graphics make or break the game :lol I'm not saying that complaints shouldnt be made, cuz constructive criticism is great to furthering and bettering the experience. But I've just noticed the trashing happening oh so frequently lately and was trying to offer the opposite side of the coin. Also trying to deduce if there were still games people actually liked anymore or if they just played them to fuel their masochistic desires or to find new material to complain about :lol

duckroll

Abel said:
Let's see... shallow = subjective, boring = very subjective, loading = impatience (I've played an innumerable amount of rpgs and I still don't see the issue :lol ) and graphics = cuz we all know graphics make or break the game :lol

Funny, I wasn't even talking about Suikoden and I got an instant damage control reply. Thanks for proving my point. :D

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
And :) seriously :lol get :D help! :) :lol :D

Himuro said:
You forgot Shin Megami Tensei Devil Summoner 3, and I really disagree with your post. If there is any rpg person's opionion I value or respect more than anyone here it's Bebpo's.

What, I don't get your respect? That hurts bad. :(

Abel

I wasnt talking about Suikoden either, but games in general. And besides I'm not supposed to reply back when someone makes a reply to my comments? and heaven forbid I have an opposing viewpoint from the mob mentality :lol and Revenant emoticons are your friends :D

duckroll

Abel said:
I wasnt talking about Suikoden either, but games in general. And besides I'm not supposed to reply back when someone makes a reply to my comments? and heaven forbid I have an opposing viewpoint from the mob mentality :lol

What does this have to do with mob mentality? I asked if we were supposed to defend a game that was shallow, boring and looked like shit. You actually damage controlled that! Of course it's SUBJECTIVE, but if you felt a game was shallow and boring would you defend it? And games are interactive entertainment, if it looks like crap, it looks like crap. There's no defending that. A game can look like crap and still be FUN but that doesn't mean people don't get to call out on how bad it looks.

Your argument is that ONLY people who are looking for flaws dislike BK and Sui5. I'm pointing out that it's not true. The games are actually really fucking flawed to many people. By implying they have "reviewer-tinted glasses" and "are looking for flaws" you're implying that there's actually nothing wrong with the game and it would be fun for most people. Now as you've pointed out shallow = subjective, boring = more subjective. So how then can you criticize someone for disliking somethiing YOU happen to like if that's your stand on it?

Abel

Mob mentality as in lots of people jump in on the hater bandwagon either based on their own opinions or trying to be a part of the crowd and listening to the "higher ups" here as if their opinion = fact ^^;;. About criticizing the game refer to the last post on the previous page. BK and Suiko 5 were just 2 examples out of the array of not as popular/mainstream games that liked to get attacked/shafted. Once again if you refer to the last post on the previous page I said criticism is fine, but going into a game with a predisposed bias and jaded mindset that its going to be bad is basically a self fulfilling prophecy. I guess my biggest complaint is the harshness of it all :lol I'll stop now (for real) we can now go to our regularly scheduled programming.

duckroll

Himuro said:
Now now, Ducky, we don't know that much about people's opinions on SV. :)

SV is the latest in the line of games that featured: Suikoden 3, Suikoden 4, Suikoden Tactics. I'm sorry but I don't think the series should be given the benefit of the doubt anymore. With game prices going up, this one is definitely guilty until proven innocent. :D

Teasel

duckroll said:
SV is the latest in the line of games that featured: Suikoden 3, Suikoden 4, Suikoden Tactics. I'm sorry but I don't think the series should be given the benefit of the doubt anymore. With game prices going up, this one is definitely guilty until proven innocent. :D

why the hate for suikoden 3? i don't see anything wrong with it... it has a cool story, a nice skill system, good pacing and the trinity system is a great idea
as for suikoden V... it seem they are getting this right so i hope i don't get disappointed

RevenantKioku

Teasel said:
why the hate for suikoden 3? i don't see anything wrong with it... it has a cool story, a nice skill system, good pacing and the trinity system is a great idea
as for suikoden V... it seem they are getting this right so i hope i don't get disappointed

As much as I loved those things, it was a bit fubared in the battle system, the music was terribly forgettable and uh, yeah, battle system was messed up. While I didn't particularly mind it while playing, the Suiko 1/2 battle system is better.

Newduck

Abel said:
Mob mentality as in lots of people jump in on the hater bandwagon either based on their own opinions or trying to be a part of the crowd and listening to the "higher ups" here as if their opinion = fact ^^;;.

How the hell can you jump on the hater bandwagon basing it on your OWN opinions.

Abel

Didn't we drop this already :lol ? But to answer your question by supporting the cause or helping to lead the pack, referencing the "higher ups" and or fervent supporters of the I hate fill in the blank fan club lol.

Bebpo

Banned
Abel said:
Let's see... shallow = subjective, boring = very subjective, loading = impatience (I've played an innumerable amount of rpgs and I still don't see the issue :lol ) and graphics = cuz we all know graphics make or break the game :lol I'm not saying that complaints shouldnt be made, cuz constructive criticism is great to furthering and bettering the experience. But I've just noticed the trashing happening oh so frequently lately and was trying to offer the opposite side of the coin. Also trying to deduce if there were still games people actually liked anymore or if they just played them to fuel their masochistic desires or to find new material to complain about :lol

This has nothing to do with Suikoden, but seriously going by your logic here...every rpg is awesome!!! I mean games can't be shallow, boring, have long loading, or bad graphics!

I guess you love every rpg that's ever been made, yes?

Abel

Let's just say I haven't played or chosen an RPG to play I haven't liked ;) I do my homework and decide on what to play or buy myself rather than rely on reviews. Last thing I need is for someone to tell me or spoon food me on what I should and shouldn't like heh.

Bebpo

Banned
Abel said:
Let's just say I haven't played or chosen an RPG to play I haven't liked ;) I do my homework and decide on what to play or buy myself rather than rely on reviews. Last thing I need is for someone to tell me or spoon food me on what I should and shouldn't like heh.

Ok. Now I get where you're coming from :)

Abel

I may not choose to play a certain game or rpg for that matter cuz it either doesn't interest me in the slightest nor its at the top of my priority list. However, I don't go around doing negative PR trying to tell everyone not to play it cuz I think this, this, and this about it. Nor do I degrade the game so much vocally that any slight interest that a gamer may have had in it was obliterated before their eyes. Like I said before I'm merely playing devil's advocate here and showing the otherside of the spectrum, unless people here like onesidedness, then I'll refrain from pushing the matter any further :)

duckroll

Abel said:
I may not choose to play a certain game or rpg for that matter cuz it either doesn't interest me in the slightest nor its at the top of my priority list. However, I don't go around doing negative PR trying to tell everyone not to play it cuz I think this, this, and this about it. Nor do I degrade the game so much vocally that any slight interest that a gamer may have had in it was obliterated before their eyes. Like I said before I'm merely playing devil's advocate here and showing the otherside of the spectrum, unless people here like onesidedness, then I'll refrain from pushing the matter any further :)

Sorry but the one thing people here HATE are devil's advocates without a license. :lol

If you've played the game yourself and you have REASONS why you like it and want to share, sure. If you don't and just wanna go "SCREW THE HATERS THAT HAVE ACTUALLY PLAYED THE GAME! THEY MIGHT BE WRONG!" then kindly leave. :D

Tabris

Stop argueing with Bebpo and duckroll so they have more time to play Suikoden V, so they have more time for impressions! :)

Shouta

It's offical, Abel has been labeled batshit insane by the GAF RPG Overlords (me, Bebpo, and the creepy one, duckroll)

duckroll

Shouta said:
It's offical, Abel has been labeled batshit insane by the GAF RPG Overlords (me, Bebpo, and the creepy one, duckroll)

Why am I creepy. ;_;

I'm only a result of ferricide's constant experimentations with photoshop! :lol

Abel

I have no problem with a praising a game, but as I've seen in the past that just gets the person the label of fanboi which voids their opinion supposedly :lol Suikoden V I haven't played yet, but I plan to of course. The topic of "haters" though applies to games in general and not just Suikoden V.

Sorry but the one thing people here HATE are devil's advocates without a license.
If you've played the game yourself and you have REASONS why you like it and want to share, sure. If you don't and just wanna go "SCREW THE HATERS THAT HAVE ACTUALLY PLAYED THE GAME! THEY MIGHT BE WRONG!" then kindly leave.

The same can also be applied to you or any other hater spouting vocal slander before a particular game is out as well ;)

duckroll

Abel said:
The same can also be applied to you or any other hater spouting vocal slander before the game is out as well ;)

When have I expressed any HATE on Suikoden V? The only thing I've expressed is my complete lack of interest in the game considering how badly 3-4 and Tactics blew imo. The only VOCAL SLANDER is from Bebpo who has actually played the game, which is out in Asia and Japan. :p

Abel

LOL, did I say suikoden V in regards to you talking trash to it? No. I was speaking generally. If you want an example then see Bebpo's thoughts of BK2 or in the case of you, always jumping to slander Xenosaga, and in the case of a game you haven't played, Ep 3 more specifically :lol But I apologize I don't want to try and call anybody out. Can't we all just be friends :D? Respectively agree to disagree I suppose ^^.

RevenantKioku

Himuro said:
Bebpo has actually played it? He's not getting his copy until tomorrow. His post was based on other people's impressions.

It's totally tomorrow in California. Today!

duckroll

Abel said:
LOL, did I say suikoden V in regards to you talking trash to it? No. I was speaking generally.

Nope, you're not allowed to use this "generally" excuse anymore. Cite specific examples or shut up, right now. :D

If you want an example then see Bebpo's thoughts of BK2 or in the case of you, always jumping to slander Xenosaga, and in the case of a game you haven't played, Ep 3 more specifically :lol

I've slandered Xenosaga? List ONE thing I've said about Xenosaga which is NOT true. Go ahead. You have no fucking idea how much I -love- Xenosaga until it became the fucked up mess it is. Do I make fun of the series? Sure, people make fun of Star Wars too, for all the right reasons. I've slandered Ep3? Show me one thing I've said about Ep3 in all seriousness which is not true. Stop pulling crap out of your ass to defend a paper thin arguement.

But I apologize I don't want to try and call anybody out. Can't we all just be friends :D? Respectively agree to disagree I suppose ^^.

No, we can't be friends until you admit that you're the only one slandering people around here.

Abel

Fine I'm sorry if I offended anyone :). Its just the extreme negativity revolving around many games these days is a little concerning :lol I'm tired of arguing so I concede. Back on topic let's just hope Suikoden V appeals to everyone as a good game ;)

BlackMage

Banned
It's funny listening to some of these self-proclaimed RPG guru's as if they know what they are talking about.

Himuro is awesome, though.

RevenantKioku

BlackMage said:
It's funny listening to some of these self-proclaimed RPG guru's as if they know what they are talking about.

Shush you, lest we bring back the 80 page thread that showed you know nothing. :D

Mandoric

Banned
Ah, the joy of coming into games with safely low expectations---if the biggest problem is noticable battle loads and a static camera, then I'll be quite happy when P-A actually gets the damn LE to me.

That said, the seeming lack of misfortune almost makes me wonder what Konami could've screwed up in the endgame.

RevenantKioku

BlackMage said:
oh yeah i forgot dragon quest fans...

Lets not delve back into stupidity outside of Suiko stupidity, eh?

Bebpo

Banned
Mandoric said:
Ah, the joy of coming into games with safely low expectations---if the biggest problem is noticable battle loads and a static camera, then I'll be quite happy when P-A actually gets the damn LE to me.

That said, the seeming lack of misfortune almost makes me wonder what Konami could've screwed up in the endgame.

Well the biggest problems people said about Suikoden IV on 2ch while playing was "boat sailing is a little tough", "encounter rate is a little high". Otherwise people were like "good exprressions on the characters", "good story", "good characters", "good boat battles".

Anyhow I get the feeling 5 is better than 4. But it just sounds a little better, and still not like the PS games.

BlackMage

Banned
judging from the movies, the load times don't seem bad to me, at all. I think some people may have been overreacting. Looks good.

Shouta

Bebpo said:
Well the biggest problems people said about Suikoden IV on 2ch while playing was "boat sailing is a little tough", "encounter rate is a little high". Otherwise people were like "good exprressions on the characters", "good story", "good characters", "good boat battles".

Anyhow I get the feeling 5 is better than 4. But it just sounds a little better, and still not like the PS games.

You see? The Japanese know what they're talking about! Other than the stupid sailing (which could've been fixed) and the slightly higher than normal encounter rate, Suikoden IV had great characters and a solid story! =P

Diagol

The load times are REALLY not that bad. I was expecting a hell of a lot worse. Even the Now Loading after battle doesn't seem to irritate me.

The only one I can see people getting annoyed with are the load times what looks like to be between the Inn and going back to the town (when the music changes).

But I'm surprised that they didn't change the menu sound effects....I really don't like it...even in Suikoden IV. I think I can hear the classic victory theme when they finish a battle...or at least a variation on it.

Diagol

Himuro said:
Yea. Also, the cutscenes arne't choppy like in IV.

Yeah, I noticed that too...In Suikoden IV, whenever you picked a choice, it was really choppy whereas this one happens automatically (or at least very close to).

The battle's aren't as slow as I was expecting as well. I guess my expectations were met.

I read that spoiler too. Holy shit does that have me excited.

Top Bottom