• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official March 2008 NPD - There are no words. Almost $1B in SW sales

Ariexv

Jag22 said:
Yeah, I think the Halo series is very overrated.

Orange Box, Call of Duty 4, BioShock, were all better shooters IMHO.
If that's your list of "better" games then how is Halo over-rated? Those all scored as good or better then Halo 3 did.

farnham

Banned
dammitmattt said:
GTA4 will outsell Mario Kart 5 to 1. Wii and DS will be fine, so the only potential meltdown is when we find out exactly how much the 360 version outsold the PS3 version by, and how much the 360 outsold the PS3.
360 and PS3 combined right..?

i doubt it it will be 5 to 1 though

MKDD was the No.2 best selling game right after SSBM

Jag22

Banned
_Alkaline_ said:
Well you own two of Wii's best games, so that's a decent start, but i don't think you can make a judgement on Wii's library since you haven't played Zelda, Metroid, Zack and Wiki, Resident Evil 4 and No More Heroes.

360 is superior software wise, definitely, but to say the Wii's library is "bad" is less opinion and more ignorance i would say.

Gears was a great looking game with enjoyable pop-and-stop mechanics but it was repetitive, emotionally bland, repetitive, generic and repetitive. For what it was, it was good fun. But GOTY? Ummm, well, everyone's entitled to their opinion. But it gets a massive LOL from me.

On the other hand Twilight Princess was a finely crafted, epic adventure with actual emotion in the story-telling, some of the best dungeons and bosses ever made, and some of the best cut-scenes and scenarios in the series.

Most people prefer "fun" out of their games. Not "emotion".

Besides, I played Z: TP for a good 10 to 15 hours. Nothing was great about it, story was just bland.

jman2050

Ariexv said:
Mass Effect
Guitar Hero
Rockband
Burnout Paradise
Forza 2
Lost Odyssey
Blue Dragon
Oblivion
Banjo 3
Tales of Vesperia
Infinite Undiscovery
Cry On
Elveon
Too Human

Comon that's an insanely stupid argument... wheres the chart that shows only like 18% of 360 games are shooters?

That's a pretty impressive list of games. It's also about as long as the Wii's list of impressive games.

Everyone stop crying about how the Wii lineup sucks, the Ps3 lineup sucks, the 360 only has shooters, the DS only has brain training, and the PSP only has... well, nothing. The lineups for each console are fairly mature and have a good selection of titles already that should suit most people's taste. If you're complaining about the crappiness of a console's library, chances are the issue is with your inability to separate fact from your opinion. Get over yourself.

Brannon

Man. Incredible. Insane, even. The Wii will not stop. NINTENDO will not stop. Reminds me of an episode of Dragonball Z where Cell chastises Trunks for having so much power, but no decent amount of speed or technique for it to matter.

On an off note, what are Earth Defense Force 2017's numbers? I've always been curious about that one.

Ariexv

HK-47 said:
Half of those games arent even released yet. How can you assess their quality
If I wasn't lazy I'd make you a list of the current games released, but instead I'll leave you this

fpspie.jpg

17% are shooters, and while you're partially right with sports being @ 26%. Action/Adventure is also @ 26%.

Overall that leaves 360 @ 43% Shooter/Sports and 57% Other.

Owzers

_Alkaline_ said:
Well you own two of Wii's best games, so that's a decent start, but i don't think you can make a judgement on Wii's library since you haven't played Zelda, Fire Emblem, Metroid, Zack and Wiki, Resident Evil 4 and No More Heroes.

360 is superior software wise, definitely, but to say the Wii's library is "bad" is less opinion and more ignorance i would say.

I played Resident Evil 4 back when it came out for Gamecube, it's awesome, i'm not buying it for Wii. I'm not buying Okami for Wii, i played that on PS2 as well. I don't care about Fire Emblem, Metroid and Zelda both bored me on Gamecube so i'm hesistant about playing them, i just kinda don't care to much moreso regarding Metroid. Zelda always interests me as it seems so charming but the gameplay is typically archaic. Zack and Wiki looks like a fun rental, i'm looking forward to trying it. No More Heroes looks terrible.

Wii's library is great if you like every non-shovelware release, but it's REALLY sparse if you don't. You need a lot of good games to have a sufficient library, you can't just say " well this is the only good game releasing this month so you better like it."

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
yeah i'm going to need some feedback on those charts that everyone was beggin for in some other thread and then when they're actually posted they're ignored for your typical fanboy wars. thanks i just feel lonely.

Jag22

Banned
Ariexv said:
If that's your list of "better" games then how is Halo over-rated? Those all scored as good or better then Halo 3 did.

If I was going to review Halo 3, I'd give it an 8.

It's a good shooter, just nothing great imo.

beef3483

jman2050 said:
That's a pretty impressive list of games. It's also about as long as the Wii's list of impressive games.

Everyone stop crying about how the Wii lineup sucks, the Ps3 lineup sucks, the 360 only has shooters, the DS only has brain training, and the PSP only has... well, nothing. The lineups for each console are fairly mature and have a good selection of titles already that should suit most people's taste. If you're complaining about the crappiness of a console's library, chances are the issue is with your inability to separate fact from your opinion. Get over yourself.

You pretty much nailed it. All have a very wide variety of good games.

Ariexv

jman2050 said:

Just to be clear I was listing that as a defense to "360 only has shooters/sports" not as Wii has crappy games. Infact I defended the Wii as well earlier in this thread(or was it the other 1?)

Jag22 said:
If I was going to review Halo 3, I'd give it an 8.

It's a good shooter, just nothing great imo.

Now this I agree with.

You're in the minority.

Not only did Gears get better reviews, but it had better sales.

Actually TP has a review average of 95.3% compared to Gears of War which has 93.8%.

How much did Gears end up selling anyway? TP sold over 5 million WW, maybe more. What did Gears get?

Ariexv

Jag22 said:
You're in the minority.

Sigh.... not taking sides here just pointing out Facts

Twilight Princess overall scores-95(96 on GC)
Gears of War overall Scores-94

Twilight Princess copies sold-4.3 Million on Wii, 1.32 Million on GC=5.62 Million Total
Gears-Around 5 million

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Ariexv said:
If I wasn't lazy I'd make you a list of the current games released, but instead I'll leave you this

fpspie.jpg

17% are shooters, and while you're partially right with sports being @ 26%. Action/Adventure is also @ 26%.

Overall that leaves 360 @ 43% Shooter/Sports and 57% Other.

Are you even talking to me? I wasnt discussing percentage per genre, I was just stating you cant use future games as part of a quality list, as it isnt assured. Remember Lair?

Jag22

Banned
Ariexv said:
Sigh.... not taking sides here just pointing out Facts

Twilight Princess overall scores-95(96 on GC)
Gears of War overall Scores-94

Thought we're talking about the Wii version, which is averaging a 94 over at GameRankings.

farnham

Banned
Jag22 said:
You're in the minority.

are you sure

because zelda was the prime launch game in Europe and NA

and sales have been steady after that..

it outsold gears in japan by a landslide too

_Alkaline_ said:
Which is still higher than Gears of War.

duk

Banned
i swear every NPD thread is like:

1. GASPS! ZOMG! WTF!
2. Over the top reactions!
3. Breakdowns!
4. Denials!
5. Defend the thrown!
6. Show charts/pie graphs!
7. Hilarious posts!
8. Wicked bannings! New tags assigned!
9. List wars!
10. Next NPD will be even moar interesting!

Chumly

Jag22 said:
You're in the minority.

.....Zelda has a better review average and Gears is at best 500k sales ahead of TP only on wii.

Pretty epic double fail.

jman2050

TP and Gears aren't even remotely similar. It's like asking whether you'd prefer having sex with how supermodels for life or winning Powerball. Either outcome is awesome and the difference is entirely dependent on preference.

Ariexv

Jag22 said:
Thought we're talking about the Wii version, which is averaging a 94 over at GameRankings.
I used Metacritic, but if you want to use Gamerankings that's fine.

Gears of War-93.8
Twilight Princess(Wii)-93.9

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Why are we comparing gamerankings averages in this thread?

More interesting: why should we compare gamerankings averages in any thread?

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
Darunia said:
Why are we comparing gamerankings averages in this thread?

More interesting: why should we compare gamerankings averages in any thread?

Because a collection of opinions is fact!

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
jman2050 said:

Terms of quality can only be subjective, so there are no facts to seperate. It's not about being able to seperate facts and opinion, but the ability to accept differing opinions.

I think the 360's library and line-up is utter garbage. There is practically nothing that I find appealing about it. I think its the most lopsided platform to ever enter the industry. However, I can understand that for other people it is all they need in a console and that some may feel the same about a system I like. Its the people that can't accept these different viewpoints that need to get over themselves.

Ariexv

Mooreberg said:
Because a collection of opinions is fact!
Because someone said Gears got better reviews then TP, Metacritic was originally quoted to show this was false, he then decided to go with Gamerankings, so GR was quoted to show he was wrong again. No-one here is saying Gamerankings or Metacritic is the is all be all of what game is good sense everyones opinion on the matter is going to be different, though they are pretty much the best Neutral party you're going to get for the matter.

(shorter version)They were only even brought up to prove someone wrong about a fact involving those sites.

Ceres

Banned
Ariexv said:
Just to be clear I was listing that as a defense to "360 only has shooters/sports" not as Wii has crappy games. Infact I defended the Wii as well earlier in this thread(or was it the other 1?)

See but I wasn't saying "only." I was saying once you removed those genres, the proclaimed awesome game library isn't any better than what the Wii offers unless you're going to be one of those "z0mg the graphics" people. I've got both a PS3 & Wii. Pretty much it'll be PS3 for RPGs (which are sorely lacking right now sadly) and blu ray and Wii for everything else aside a random thing here and there (both GH3 & Rock Band on PS3 and likely LBP). But as I said earlier, this is still all secondary to the DS which has its fair share of great games in all the genres I love.

Sharp

Why are we discussing reviews here again? Not only are they not great measures of game quality (except usually at the very high and very low ends of the spectrum), they're totally irrelevant. This is a sales thread.

JJConrad said:
Terms of quality can only be subjective, so there are no facts to seperate. It's not about being able to seperate facts and opinion, but the ability to accept differing opinions.

I think the 360's library and line-up is utter garbage. There is practically nothing that I find appealing about it. I think its the most lopsided platform to ever enter the industry. However, I can understand that for other people it is all they need in a console and that some may feel the same about a system I like. Its the people that can't accept these different viewpoints that need to get over themselves.

Wii fan?

Seriously, though, the 360 has a much more diverse library than people think. It has practically every genre covered (and covered well) other than platformers. What DO you like?

beef3483

The notion that the Wii does not have a comparable amount of good enjoyable games is completely false. The only thing people can say is that they don't prefer what the Wii has to offer.

There is only two games I have interest in for the 360, but you don't see me saying that the 360s software lineup sucks, do you?

Top Bottom