• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official March 2008 NPD - There are no words. Almost $1B in SW sales

Ceres

Banned
Firestorm said:
By the way, does anyone have Melee's USA sales?

Japan Melee: 1,498,000
USA Melee: ???
Europe / Canada / Australia / etc: ???
Total: 7,090,000

According to Wikipedia 4.06 million was totaled by end of 2007.

beef3483

dammitmattt said:
I would argue that the Wii doesn't have as many of the good B+ to B- games that fill out the 360 library. There is a handful of extremely good games, plenty of ports, and an incredible amount of shovelware. The 360 has been out longer and it's been the focus of more developers so there is no way that the Wii can match the depth and the breadth of the 360's library, but that doesn't take away from the great Wii games out there.

The best selling systems always have shovelware. I doubt the PS2s ratio of shovelware/quality is any less pronounced. You do have a point with ports as they are getting fucking ridiculous. But even taking that into account, any attempts to quantify greater quality is all subjective. The only thing that people can say is that a whole lot of people are enjoying the Wii and it's games, and they are enjoying them a lot.

Atreides

AlteredBeast said:
GTAIV is going to be huge. Bigger than Madden, bigger than SSBB, bigger than Halo 3, COD4, and everything else of this generation.

Do we have some data about preorders and such that could give a hint to compare it with SSBB and Halo 3 preorders?

Innotech

Banned
Scrubking said:
Sorry, but you're wrong. The Wii has like what, 3 FPS games? And the other guys have how many family/ minigame collections?

There is no balance of mature games across all the consoles. The Wii is getting the shaft in the hardcore game department and they don't make We Cheer for the other guys. Sure you can find stuff for all tastes on the Wii, but the selection is extremely limited just like there are only a handful of family fare on the PS360.
which is why they arent seeing 721k sales in a non holiday month and wont ever. They are largely ignoring that very large casual part of the market. While thats fine for many of you, you arent the sole contributors keeping this industry afloat. In fact, youre actually becoming less relevant to the overall market each year. But what do I know, Im just a wii fanboy. Numbers dont prove anything.
Also, Im going to have one of those newfangled xboxen end of the year, so its useless to hold some air of superiority over me so its pretty stupid to try.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
jjconrad:

rum8v82.gif

Innotech said:
I fully agree. Which is why the Wii is my main console. I havent bought so many games for a console in ages.

The same is true for me. It's been a long time since one console has had so many games that I not only love, but also find totally worth owning and having in a collection. I'd say N64 was the last to really draw this kind of attention from me.

AlteredBeast said:
GTAIV is going to be huge. Bigger than Madden, bigger than SSBB, bigger than Halo 3, COD4, and everything else of this generation.
Wii Sports will crush GTA IV, and Wii Fit might make things a bit...hostile.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
titiklabingapat said:
Wii Sports will crush GTA IV, and Wii Fit might make things a bit...hostile.

Wii Sports doesn't count, obviously. Wii Fit isn't guaranteed to be gangbusters everywhere. Plus, it is limited to one console, while GTAIV has 2 consoles to sell across.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
AlteredBeast said:
Wii Sports doesn't count, obviously. Wii Fit isn't guaranteed to be gangbusters everywhere. Plus, it is limited to one console, while GTAIV has 2 consoles to sell across.

Wii Sports is the biggest game of this gen.

Otherwise its Nintendogs

Scrubking

Innotech said:
which is why they arent seeing 721k sales in a non holiday month and wont ever. They are largely ignoring that very large casual part of the market. While thats fine for many of you, you arent the sole contributors keeping this industry afloat. In fact, youre actually becoming less relevant to the overall market each year. But what do I know, Im just a wii fanboy. Numbers dont prove anything.
Also, Im going to have one of those newfangled xboxen end of the year, so its useless to hold some air of superiority over me so its pretty stupid to try.

I think you're directing your anger at the wrong person. LOL.

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
SIP YEK NOD said:
Damn close between 360 and ps3.

also, holy shit at psp games in the top 10, and TWO OF THEM!

I'm just ecstatic about the PSP titles that broke the top 10 list -- probably more excited about one than the other: Crisis Core: FFVII. If the title's strong presence does anything, I hope it goes to show Square that the FFVII remake will be a lucrative venture.

Sean

Banned
dammitmattt said:
They all had long legs, but sequels tend to become more front-loaded as they go. GTA3 sold mostly on word of mouth, but the other two games had massive launches, and with the gaming industry becoming more mainstream and Blockbuster-driven, I think GTA4 is going to break a lot of records.

Does anyone have the GTA3/VC/SA sales data handy?

San Andreas debuted at 2 million (NPD). While that was very impressive it wasn't the best debut (Halo 2 sold 2.4 million in 24 hours on like 1/5 the userbase just a month after).

GTAIV will definitely become the best selling game this generation, but I'm not 100% positive it'll shatter launch records or anything. Though if any game has a chance of doing it, GTA4 is certainly it.

Innotech

Banned
norinrad21 said:
3rd parties should be very very afraid, the more Nintendo throws quality at the new fan base the more they are likely to see through the 3rd party junk hence never caring about them. I feel sorry for them 3rd parties.

oh Nintendo fans only buy Nintendo game, you fucking tools
so far my Wii collection ratio of first party published to third is as follows:

Smash bros Brawl
Zelda TP
Metroid Prime 3
Super Mario Galaxy
Warioware
Mario Party 8
Super Paper MArio
Wii SPorts

(monster games/arika :nintendo published)
Endless Ocean
Excite Truck

NiGHTS JOD
No More Heroes
Sonic and the Secret rings
Mario and Sonic Olympics
Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles
Zack and Wiki
Deweys Adventure
Red Steel
Elebits
Rapala fishing (My dad bought it. It sucks)

preordered:

Mario Kart Wii
Samba De amigo

So really, a pretty balanced library between first and third party. much moreso than I had on Gamecube. Im quite happy with the selection and would not sell any of these except Rapala (as if anyone would buy that one)

forgot to include Links Crossbow Training and I held off on buying Okami until I get my brakes/tires replaced on my truck but its a must get.

Ariexv

HK-47 said:
Wii Sports is the biggest game of this gen.

Otherwise its Nintendogs
If you count Wii sports then Minesweeper must be the highest selling game of all time by hundreds of millions.

Sharp

AlteredBeast said:
In all seriousness, I think it's pretty much undeniable that Wii Play will outsell GTA IV. It will outsell it worldwide and there's a good chance it will outsell it in the US as well. I don't know if you've noticed this, but it's charted every single month since its release, and I think its current sales are over 4 million in the US alone (and over 11 million worldwide). It will keep selling for the remainder of the Wii's lifetime, and it sells in all territories. Even GTA3 isn't going to end up anywhere close. Of course, the general consensus is that it's not really a game, but it nonetheless wins saleswise. If you're looking for "most important game of this generation" I imagine Wii Sports does have it beat, as unfortunate as it may be (GTA3 was probably the most important game of last generation though). I'm not seeing what you are, methinks. It will still sell fantastically though, that's undeniable, and will definitely crush Mario Kart.

Ydahs

WOW! That's a lot of units O_O

Any other sales apart from the top 10? Can't browse through 30 pages >_>

AlteredBeast said:

2rrup3d.jpg

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Ariexv said:
If you count Wii sports then Minesweeper must be the highest selling game of all time by hundreds of millions.

I'm talking importance, how massive its effect on gaming is. Wi Sports is instrumental in selling the Wii and the controller to the public. What did Hearts do for the PC?

Innotech

Banned
Scrubking said:
I think you're directing your anger at the wrong person. LOL.
Im not angry. Im chilling out to some niGHTS music right now and actually in quite a good mood. Plus I just got a Saturn finally so Im REALLY in a great mood. I was just trying to prove some points. Casual software isnt desiered by the majority of Gaf, but it does sell and it sells extremely well. But the wii appeals to a group of both casual and hardcore and cant really be pigeonholed one way or the other.

Sharp

AlteredBeast said:
Microsoft Hearts is the biggest selling game of all-time.
It's sold zero units (or at least I certainly hope nobody was stupid enough to buy it) so your point is lost on me.

Sean said:
San Andreas debuted at 2 million (NPD). While that was very impressive it wasn't the best debut (Halo 2 sold 2.4 million in 24 hours on like 1/5 the userbase just a month after).

GTAIV will definitely become the best selling game this generation, but I'm not 100% positive it'll shatter launch records or anything. Though if any game has a chance of doing it, GTA4 is certainly it.

Thanks for the link. Remember that San Andreas was released to a much smaller overall market and it was only on one platform.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
Sean said:

The fact that GTA IV got delayed so much has probably increased anticipation for it. Vice City and San Andreas were not as front-loaded because they came out on time (well, a week later than originally stated) and not too long after the previous installment. I'd be surprised if GTA IV doesn't at least do numbers similar to Halo 3.

MisterHero

dammitmattt said:
Thanks for the link. Remember that San Andreas was released to a much smaller overall market and it was only on one platform.
It was also pirated a week before release, just like Halo 2.

That was a crazy year.

Sharp

MobiusPigeon said:
let me add some fuel to the wii play fire

http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/935589.asp

anyone who says its selling because its a game deserves to be slapped.
Casual gamers have proven consistently that they don't read reviews, or they wouldn't even bother picking it up with the controller. I wouldn't say it's not a game, though, it's just a super low-budget ($10) game that people can easily push on you every time you decide to buy a controller. But people are still paying for it, and it's definitely going to outsell GTA IV. I suppose Nintendogs is a much better example, though--hasn't that already outsold GTA III?
dammitmattt said:
Uh, by the time Halo 2 was about to release I think the "one vs. two platform" thing was pretty irrelevant if the one was the PS2.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Sharp said:
It's sold zero units (or at least I certainly hope nobody was stupid enough to buy it) so your point is lost on me.

And I can name over a dozen games this generation that have sold more than Wii Sports. Anyone who says Wii Sports is the best selling game this gen is really dumb.

Ariexv

Sharp said:
Casual gamers have proven consistently that they don't read reviews, or they wouldn't even bother picking it up with the controller. I wouldn't say it's not a game, though, it's just a super low-budget ($10) game that people can easily push on you every time you decide to buy a controller. But people are still paying for it, and it's definitely going to outsell GTA IV. I suppose Nintendogs is a much better example, though--hasn't that already outsold GTA III?
Nintendogs-17.79 million
San Andreas-20 million

Sharp

Ariexv said:
Did Nintendogs sell 20 million units?
Per Wikipedia...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Best_selling_games said:
3. Nintendogs (DS – 17.79 million)[70]
7. Grand Theft Auto III (PS2 – 14.5 million,[24] may include PC and Xbox versions)
So no, but it's most definitely outsold GTA3! On multiple platforms, too! Sorry!
Ariexv said:
So it's 2 million behind San Andreas
San Andreas did 12 million. Please actually look up your figures. Are you think of The Sims?

Sharp said:

GTA:SA outsold GTA:VC, which outsold GTA3. Wiki says GTA:SA sold 21.5 million worldwide, so Nintendogs still has a few million to go. Plus, it's not really a fair comparison because there are so many different versions of the game.

Ariexv

Sharp said:
Per Wikipedia...

So no, but it's most definitely outsold GTA3! On multiple platforms, too! Sorry!

San Andreas did 12 million. Please actually look up your figures. Are you think of The Sims?
Umm try San Andreas which is @ either 20 or 21 million.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Sharp said:

Uh, by the time Halo 2 was about to release I think the "one vs. two platform" thing was pretty irrelevant if the one was the PS2.

They even released within a few weeks of each other. 2004 PS2 userbase vs 2004 XB userbase...lol

Ikael

The thing about the 360 catalogue is that yes, it is good, but the vast majority of its gems are concentrated into two genres: sports and FPSes. Which coincidentally, are the least interesting genres to me. I will not deny that it is the next gen system with the most solid library, but it is no ps2, guys, if you love certain genres you are not going to be satisfied with it.

Sharp

dammitmattt said:
GTA:SA outsold GTA:VC, which outsold GTA3. Wiki says GTA:SA sold 21.5 million worldwide, so Nintendogs still has a few million to go. Plus, it's not really a fair comparison because there are so many different versions of the game.
The best-selling games list must have quite different figures from the game's page, then, because I'm getting radically different numbers there. And didn't GTA:SA release to an absolutely enormous userbase?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
dammitmattt said:

And SA was on 3 platforms. So what?

Sharp said:

Hell, no, it's not irrelevant. 2 > 1. You shall see.

Click on my tag for more details.

Avrum said:
I'm lost... what exactly did you just "try" to prove with that?

errr...60%??? hello? lets say take

http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/562129.asp?q=truck

and

http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/578892.asp?q=truck

both surely shitty titles that both rank better than wii play. i'm sure if MS bundled Kameo with a controller for $5 more and sony bundled Lair with a controller for $5 more those would appear on the charts every month to go along with new console buyers picking up extra controllers too.

Sharp said:

:lol wtf? wii play is basically a free game! i'm sure if GTA4 was free it'd outsell wii play. come on.

Sharp

dammitmattt said:
Hell, no, it's not irrelevant. 2 > 1. You shall see.

Click on my tag for more details.
I did. I'm pretty sure you're using retailer preorders worldwide to predict first-week sales in the US. I will be very, very surprised if it sells six million in its first week in the US. I'm under no illusion that it won't sell ridiculously well, but you're being slightly too optimistic.

HK-47 said:
And SA was on 3 platforms. So what?

Yeah, it was on three platforms but it was the same game, so there weren't many people buying multiple versions of it.

However, the different versions of Nintendogs have completely different content, leading MANY, MANY more people to buy multiple versions.

Sharp

dammitmattt said:
Yeah, it was on three platforms but it was the same game, so there weren't many people buying multiple versions of it.

However, the different versions of Nintendogs have completely different content, leading MANY, MANY more people to buy multiple versions.
I suspect the percentage of people that seriously buy multiple versions of Nintendogs is around the same number as those that buy multiple versions of Pokemon. Which is in any case irrelevant since the statistic at hand is number of copies sold. The Sims 1 most definitely sold 20 million on a single platform--the PC--not including expansion packs. That's what happens when you manage to find a way into the hearts of nongamers, and that's why Nintendogs is doing so well.

meljeff

Ariexv said:

Hello,

I'm a lurking noob but I just felt compelled to say something about this. Now I maybe way off base so please take it easy on me. :D

Now I'm not disagreeing with your statement but on the flip side people buy PCs and probably have no idea Minesweeper or Hearts comes with it and never play them.

In the case of Wii Sports some "Casual Gamers" are literally spending $250 on one game. So in a sense Wii sports could not only be considered one of the best selling but also one of the most most expensive games ever.

Plus in Japan Wii Sports is sold separately and while I don't have official numbers I believe it has sold very well.

I also assume you don't consider Super Mario Brothers that came packaged with the NES one of the top selling games of all time or Tetris for the Gameboy.

The point being people sometimes buy a console for one game and one game alone no one buys a computer just to play Minesweeper or Hearts.

So just my useless 2 cents but thought I'd chip in.

Love the Gaf.

MisterHero

dammitmattt said:

No they don't, they just have different starter breeds.

You don't need the other copies.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
dammitmattt said:

Umm the versions are identical save for starting breeds

Avrum

MobiusPigeon said:
errr...60%??? hello? lets say take

http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/562129.asp?q=truck

and

http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/578892.asp?q=truck

both surely shitty titles that both rank better than wii play. i'm sure if MS bundled Kameo with a controller for $5 more and sony bundled Lair with a controller for $5 more those would appear on the charts every month to go along with new console buyers picking up extra controllers too.

Well you said something to the effect of:

anyone who says its selling because its a game deserves to be slapped.

Why should anyone be slapped for saying something like that? It having such a score doesn't exactly turn it into not being a game. It certainly can't still be the excuse from last year about there being Wiimote shortages as that hasn't been an issue for some time. Though I do have some idea as to why it "could" be, but then who takes something like that home without trying it and even then where is the suggestion that the game has no appeal? I mean, it was only a couple of years back that WiiSports wasn't given much cred. on its merits as a game and yet it has proven to be one of the biggest reasons to own a Wii.

There has to be something along the lines there.

Ariexv

MisterHero said:
No they don't, they just have different starter breeds.

You don't need the other copies.
Even then it doesn't matter

As of March 26, 2008, Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas has sold 21.5 million units according to Take-Two Interactive

Sharp

I just checked out the GTA:SA article. Dude, even SA has (on all platforms) only sold 8.6 million units in the US, period. Do you really think GTA IV is going to sell 3/4s of that in its first week?
Ariexv said:
Even then it doesn't matter

As of March 26, 2008, Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas has sold 21.5 million units according to Take-Two Interactive
Yes, on multiple platforms. I clicked around and realized that for some reason they're only counting the PS2 version on the "best-selling games" list.

Top Bottom