• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official March 2008 NPD - There are no words. Almost $1B in SW sales

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
PantherLotus said:
You mean an averaging of opinions based on made up common denominators somehow isn't relevant?!! EGADZ

It's the same damn argument people were having over RSV2 several pages back, only about another game this time. I'm sure by tomorrow it will be the same argument about whether or not GTA IV or Mario Kart gets better reviews. It's all opinion for fucks sake, people are just using it to frame different points of view.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Sharp said:
Why are we discussing reviews here again? Not only are they not great measures of game quality (except usually at the very high and very low ends of the spectrum), they're totally irrelevant. This is a sales thread.

Because someone brought up review scores and was proven wrong twice. Did people even see the argument or did they just go "OMG review scores is no no shit opinions stupids"

This just dropped onto my Reuters terminal:

01:22 18Apr2008 RTRS-MICROSOFT <MSFT.O> SAYS SOLD 262,000 XBOX 360 CONSOLES IN U.S. IN MARCH
01:23 18Apr2008 RTRS-MICROSOFT SAYS MARCH U.S. XBOX 360 SALES TOPPED SONY <6758.T> PLAYSTATION 3 SALES
01:34 18Apr2008 RTRS-Microsoft says Xbox sales beat Sony PS3 in March

SAN FRANCISCO, April 17 (Reuters) - Microsoft Corp <MSFT.O> said on Thursday it sold 262,000 Xbox 360 game consoles in the United States in March, regaining its lead over Sony Corp's <6758.T><SNE.N> PlayStation 3 as supply constraints eased.
"We said as our supply issue lifted that we'd be back in the game," said Microsoft spokesman David Dennis. "For the most part we're in good supply throughout the retail channel. There are still pockets of shortage, but for most part you can go into a store and find an Xbox 360."
Microsoft cited data from market research firm NPD, which is due to release fuller monthly video game sales figures later Thursday.
(Reporting by Scott Hillis; editing by Jeffrey Benkoe)
((scott.hillis@reuters.com; +1 415 677 2505; Reuters Messaging: scott.hillis.reuters.com@reuters.net)) Keywords: MICROSOFT/XBOX

For Related News, Double Click on one of these codes:
[E] [J] [PSC] [RNP] [DNP] [PCO] [PCU] [SOFW] [DPR] [ENT] [SFWR] [US] [CELE] [APL] [JP] [LEIS] [REC] [SWIT] [TECH] [CYCP] [CYCS] [HBHG] [ASIA] [LEN] [RTRS] [7974.OS] [6758.T] [MSFT.O]

For Relevant Price Information, Double Click on one of these codes:
<7974.OS> <6758.T> <MSFT.O>
Friday, 18 April 2008 01:22:52RTRS [nN17422916] {EN}ENDS

Nothing from the other two so far..

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Mooreberg said:
It's the same damn argument people were having over RSV2 several pages back, only about another game this time. I'm sure by tomorrow it will be the same argument about whether or not GTA IV or Mario Kart gets better reviews. It's all opinion for fucks sake, people are just using it to frame different points of view.

but charts don't lie at all and nobody will quote those! make one silly comment about a game's review and OMG everyone goes apeshit.

tahrikmili said:
360 beats PS3 despite shortages. April should see 360 resume beating PS3 by a good margin.

Wii doing incredibly well.

Great software sales.

Pachter owned.

i wouldnt bet the farm on that. there are signs here you aren't seeing.

beef3483 said:
The notion that the Wii does not have a comparable amount of good enjoyable games is completely false. People can only say that they don't prefer what the Wii has to offer.

I would argue that the Wii doesn't have as many of the good B+ to B- games that fill out the 360 library. There is a handful of extremely good games, plenty of ports, and an incredible amount of shovelware. The 360 has been out longer and it's been the focus of more developers so there is no way that the Wii can match the depth and the breadth of the 360's library, but that doesn't take away from the great Wii games out there.

dammitmattt said:
I would argue that the Wii doesn't have as many of the good B+ to B- games that fill out the 360 library. There is a handful of extremely good games, plenty of ports, and an incredible amount of shovelware. The 360 has been out longer and it's been the focus of more developers so there is no way that the Wii can match the depth and the breadth of the 360's library, but that doesn't take away from the great Wii games out there.

I don't think it could be said any better than this.

Scrubking

jman2050 said:
The lineups for each console are fairly mature and have a good selection of titles already that should suit most people's taste.

Sorry, but you're wrong. The Wii has like what, 3 FPS games? And the other guys have how many family/ minigame collections?

There is no balance of mature games across all the consoles. The Wii is getting the shaft in the hardcore game department and they don't make We Cheer for the other guys. Sure you can find stuff for all tastes on the Wii, but the selection is extremely limited just like there are only a handful of family fare on the PS360.

jman2050

Scrubking said:
Sorry, but you're wrong. The Wii has like what, 3 FPS games? And the other guys have how many family/ minigame collections?

There is no balance of mature games across all the consoles. The Wii is getting the shaft in the hardcore game department and they don't make We Cheer for the other guys. Sure you can find stuff for all tastes on the Wii, but the selection is extremely limited just like there are only a handful of family fare on the PS360.

-1 for completely misunderstanding the context of the word "mature."

-100 for thinking mature = FPS/hardcore games

Ariexv

Scrubking said:

Of course each console is going to shift towards on genre or the other, what everyone is saying is that OVERALL each system has enough of every Genre to support it. The consoles are never going to be exactly even in every Genre but to say any of them is gimped is insane.

Ceres said:
I've got both a PS3 & Wii. Pretty much it'll be PS3 for RPGs (which are sorely lacking right now sadly) and blu ray and Wii for everything else
Well, if you got PS3 only for RPGs, may I suggest you that you got the wrong console? Unless you only consider RPG=FF you lost many great RPGs choosing PS3. I own all three consoles, I'm a great fan of RPGs, and the console that mostly satisfied my passion on this side is Xbox 360, actually.

jman2050

Spider_Jerusalem said:
Well, if you got PS3 only for RPGs, may I suggest you that you got the wrong console? Unless you only consider RPG=FF you lost many great RPGs choosing PS3. I own all three consoles, I'm a great fan of RPGs, and the console that mostly satisfied my passion on this side is Xbox 360, actually.

Honestly, if he's looking for RPGs, he should probably go DS. Then again, RPGs have been weak as a whole this generation so far, so I guess the jury is still out.

I haven't browsed through all the topic, so this might already have been posted, however here's MS take on these numbers:

Consumers continue to make the ultimate vote for Xbox 360 as the console of choice by investing $9.4 billion to date this lifecycle in the Xbox 360 experience, far outpacing that of other game consoles. (March NPD data)

Going into March, some key U.S. retailers were still experiencing the trickle down effect of Xbox 360 console shortages. By the end of March, supply issues had improved and we expect retailers to be fully stocked with Xbox 360 consoles in time for the “Grand Theft Auto IV” launch. According to NPD, 262,000 Xbox 360 consoles sold in March, reclaiming the #2 position in the next-gen console category.

In just two weeks, Xbox 360 will extend its industry lead with the year's most anticipated game launch, GTA IV. Launching April 29, GTA IV will be coming to Xbox 360 on day one. GTA IV will feature the first ever online multiplayer for the franchise and Xbox 360 is also the only place you can earn GTA IV Achievements and increase your gamerscore.

Starting this fall, only Xbox 360 owners will have access to exclusive GTA IV episodic content. Whether it’s the results of online polls or data from pre-sells, consumers have made it clear that the benefits of Xbox LIVE and exclusive access to GTA IV episodic content are making Xbox 360 the chosen place to play GTA IV.

Xbox 360 drives industry growth with record attach rates

· March NPD data shows a new U.S. Xbox 360 software attach rate of 7.5, a record for any game console.

· In Europe, Xbox 360 continues to enjoy the highest software attach rate of any game console with more than 7.0 games sold per console (PS3: 3.8; Wii 3.5) after 27 months on the market..

· Xbox 360 sales in Europe have more than doubled in the wake of recent retail price changes, solidifying its leadership position as the number one next-generation console in EMEA, owning 42% of the market in terms of life-to-date revenue. (Microsoft estimates based on ChartTrack and Gfk data).

· Third party publishers find more success on Xbox 360. In March, Xbox 360 accounted for $220 million of all third party game sales this generation, or 49 percent of share. Third party publishers win on Xbox 360 more than any other platform. (March NPD data)

· Games for the Xbox 360 platform accounted for four of the top ten games for this generation. (March NPD data)

Xbox 360 most widely used system for online gaming

· Xbox 360 delivers social entertainment experiences to more than 10 million Xbox LIVE gamers around the globe. (Microsoft internal data)

· On April 2, NPD released a study called “Online Gaming 2008” which reported that 42 percent of people aged six to 44 play video games online. Their console of choice? Xbox 360. Half of online gamers prefer the Xbox 360 over other current-generation gaming consoles. (“Online Gaming 2008”)

· Xbox LIVE now delivers 4,800 hours of TV and movie entertainment including family favorites like “Hannah Montana,” “Lost,” and “Superman III.”(Microsoft internal data)

Xbox 360 is the gaming platform of choice—our great games and exploding online community will help keep it that way.

Chumly

norinrad21 said:
I will remember you
Honestly its gonna be pretty freakin close to that..... I wouldnt be surprised at all if thats exactly what the sales will be.

Obviously in the long run/WW GTA cant outsell MK 5:1

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
JJConrad said:
I think the 360's library and line-up is utter garbage.
pulp.gif

dammitmattt said:
GTA4 360 - 4 million
GTA4 PS3 - 2 million
MK Wii - 1.2 million

Bet on it.
oh no

jman2050 said:
Honestly, if he's looking for RPGs, he should probably go DS.
I'm talking home consoles, obviously. And I don't find rpgs to have been weak on 360, it had - and will have - plenty of them. And mostly jrpgs, quite surprisingly.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
icecream said:
Some people still prefer to play expansive RPGs on a large TV in this day and age. Weird, I know.

Some people just like RPGs, and therefore should have a DS. Weird I know

The 360 really is a software beast to put it into context the top selling PS3 game was
Army Of Two @ 224,900 while the 360 had 4 games outsell it with Rainbow Six Vegas @ 752,300, Army of Two @ 606,100, MLB2K8 @ 237,100 and Call Of Duty 4 @ 237,000. All of those games were multi platform a well, no exclusives, no excuses

2:1 user base does not explain this alone in my view and to me it supports the assertion that the core gamer is locked down on 360 (at least in the US)

duk

Banned
JJConrad said:
Terms of quality can only be subjective, so there are no facts to seperate. It's not about being able to seperate facts and opinion, but the ability to accept differing opinions.

I think the 360's library and line-up is utter garbage. There is practically nothing that I find appealing about it. I think its the most lopsided platform to ever enter the industry. However, I can understand that for other people it is all they need in a console and that some may feel the same about a system I like. Its the people that can't accept these different viewpoints that need to get over themselves.

idiot

icecream

Public Health Threat
HK-47 said:
Some people just like RPGs, and therefore should have a DS.
Agreed. But to suggest that a DS is the only thing needed to enjoy the best the genre has to offer this generation is laughable.

Ceres

Banned
Spider_Jerusalem said:

I don't even really like FF games that much. I'm hoping a different S-E gets a sequel on the PS3 eventually but aside from one developer, JRPGs will be focused on the PS3/Wii. Non JRPGS I play on my PC.
And honestly, hardware failures have been the major factor in me not wanting to invest in a 360.

YYZ

bishoptl said:
:lol oh dear

The 360 has a lot of console shooters which I don't like, but there's still plenty of other stuff. If you choose only one, you should be happy either way. Come to think of it, PS3 has a similar game lineup...

Innotech

Banned
Angelus said:
Actually I'm thankful I have two other choices to buy games I prefer. I prefer Microsoft but next in line would be Sony. Nintendo will keep on being Nintendo,and thats the problem I and others have with the company. Waggle is not the stuff I prefer,neither is their online game plan or choice of games they offer. Its not being bitter when you give them a pass,you spend your money where you feel its warranted is all.

I fully agree. Which is why the Wii is my main console. I havent bought so many games for a console in ages.

norinrad21 said:
I will remember you

I could very well be underestimating Mario Kart Wii, but remember that it will only be on sale for 5 days and it's not as frontloaded as a game like GTA4, which will have millions of people lining up on day one.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
mr_bishiuk said:
The 360 really is a software beast to put it into context the top selling PS3 game was
Army Of Two @ 224,900 while the 360 had 4 games outsell it with Rainbow Six Vegas @ 752,300, Army of Two @ 606,100, MLB2K8 @ 237,100 and Call Of Duty 4 @ 237,000. All of those games were multi platform a well, no exclusives, no excuses

2:1 user base does not explain this alone in my view and to me it supports the assertion that the core gamer is locked down on 360 (at least in the US)

I think it shows that what Microsoft started in getting the PC centric developers on their system with Xbox has worked out for them in the long (edit:) run. I'm pretty sure the Clancy games sold more on Xbox even when PS2 was outselling it by tens of millions of units. It's not hard to figure out what would happen once Microsoft had the more economically priced console with a larger user base.

Sharp

HK-47 said:
Because someone brought up review scores and was proven wrong twice. Did people even see the argument or did they just go "OMG review scores is no no shit opinions stupids"
I read the entire thing and it struck me as frivolous and irrelevant, which is why I said so. The Gears and TP sales thing was mildly on-topic, but the whole GOTY thing was just silly.

duk

Banned
Firestorm said:
wtf does the 360 not have that people need? It's the PS2 of this gen.

uhh u must mean from a s/w standpoint? even then it's not even remotely close in terms of quantity?

Atreides

dammitmattt said:
I could very well be underestimating Mario Kart Wii, but remember that it will only be on sale for 5 days and it's not as frontloaded as a game like GTA4, which will have millions of people lining up on day one.

GTA games are frontloaded? I thoght that GTA games in PS2 had very long legs.

dammitmattt said:

No i think you're pretty much right on about Mario Kart Wii. I expect around a million for its first NPD and its the kind of game that should maintain strong legs for the next few months.

I read the entire thing and it struck me as frivolous and irrelevant, which is why I said so. The Gears and TP sales thing was mildly on-topic, but the whole GOTY thing was just silly.

I said that in my opinion, TP was GOTY. Jab replied by saying Gears sold better and got better reviews, but he was factually wrong on both accounts.

I want to talk about the golf thing some more but I just can't keep up with this thread. :(

Maybe I'll make a topic about it tomorrow night.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
dammitmattt said:
:lol :lol :lol

Since when does the common phrase "bet on it" equal "ban bet"?!?!?!?
I'm feeling frisky!

I can give you your old "I'll drink Alex Smith's piss out of his jockstrap" tag back instead -_-

Atreides said:
GTA games are frontloaded? I thoght that GTA games in PS2 had very long legs.

They all had long legs, but sequels tend to become more front-loaded as they go. GTA3 sold mostly on word of mouth, but the other two games had massive launches, and with the gaming industry becoming more mainstream and Blockbuster-driven, I think GTA4 is going to break a lot of records.

Does anyone have the GTA3/VC/SA sales data handy?

bishoptl said:
I'm feeling frisky!

I can give you your old "I'll drink Alex Smith's piss out of his jockstrap" tag back instead -_-

No, please. PLEASE NO.

Norml

Angelus said:
I just don't know what the living hell the public see in the Wii. I mean you see the game libraries on the other two consoles and there is pure fucking quality.

Man if Nintendo were the only game in town I think I'd just give console gaming the finger and let the market crash all over again. Amazing Wii numbers, but very clueless buyers though,geewiz.

I believe it mostly has to do with being able to go to any friend or child/grandparent and say look you can play with this simple controller so its like a nice show and tell thing. Sony needs to copy the wiimote to PS2/PS3 like yesterday.

Firestorm

By the way, does anyone have Melee's USA sales?

Japan Melee: 1,498,000
USA Melee: ???
Europe / Canada / Australia / etc: ???
Total: 7,090,000

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
dammitmattt said:
They all had long legs, but sequels tend to become more front-loaded as they go. GTA3 sold mostly on word of mouth, but the other two games had massive launches, and with the gaming industry becoming more mainstream and Blockbuster-driven, I think GTA4 is going to break a lot of records.

Does anyone have the GTA3/VC/SA sales data handy?

No, please. PLEASE NO.

GTAIV is going to be huge. Bigger than Madden, bigger than SSBB, bigger than Halo 3, COD4, and everything else of this generation.

Zerachiel

watership said:
Game for game, name a Next Gen Console that has a better line up.

Nintendo Wii.

I'd expect that to change now that Nintendo's more or less shot its loadwith all its great franchises, but Wii 2007 was one of the most impressive performances in gaming history.

dammitmattt said:

I can agree to this, but I never understood why it was a downside for all the hardcore. I mean, owning all 5 platforms, who has time for the B+ to B- games? If the Wii gets 3 really quality titles like SMG every year, I'll be more than happy.

icecream said:
Agreed. But to suggest that a DS is the only thing needed to enjoy the best the genre has to offer this generation is laughable.

The DS is the only thing you need to enjoy The World Ends With You.

Top Bottom