• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official March 2008 NPD - There are no words. Almost $1B in SW sales

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
The X360 vs. Ps3 battle for the hardcore gamers is fascinating. X360 wins this round, but without a price cut, I expect Ps3 will outsell it easily for the coming months.

As for the Wii........meh. There are no words for me. It's totally baffling. The numbers just don't make sense. What the heck is going on?

I'm glad to see the PsP console and software sales. I've really come to appreciate it as one of the top handheld devices of all time.

duk

Banned
VanMardigan said:
The X360 vs. Ps3 battle for the hardcore gamers is fascinating. X360 wins this round, but without a price cut, I expect Ps3 will outsell it easily for the coming months.

As for the Wii........meh. There are no words for me. It's totally baffling. The numbers just don't make sense. What the heck is going on?

I'm glad to see the PsP console and software sales. I've really come to appreciate it as one of the top handheld devices of all time.

as it did in March

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
Sharp said:
Hmmm, I could've sworn he posted in this thread but I just checked and he hasn't so far. Weird.

Also where's doubledex? He is conspicuosly absent. Is he mad about ps3's #'s? Back on topic wii #'s are crazy I'm glad I got mine day 1.

Jokeropia

Man, with so many butthurt people you'd think Nintendo just raped them in ass.

Anyway… (not responding to Tabris, because you know.)
Pimpbaa said:
Yeah those with a 360 or PS3 as their main console. I'm pretty unbiased, it doesn't matter to me if your 360 or PS3 is your main console. Both are cool.
I'm assuming this (along with your other posts) is a joke, because I don't remember you as being this dumb.
bigmakstudios said:
But the games I like are good. Wii Sports, Carnival Games, and the countless other shovelware titles that sell in truckloads for Wii are not.
Almost all of the best selling games on Wii are great, and this doesn't include Carnival Games.
indie85 said:
Seems to me that wii is blowing its load early this year, with the next few months with a 'big' game coming out for it, leaving nothing for the holidays. Now that PS3 is the defacto HD movie player, movie releases are as big a deal as game releases, having blu-ray titles like the Dark Knight and Wall-E combing with games like R2 and KZ2, I would not be at ALL surprised if PS3 beats out wii this winter.

Now ensue a 100 NDF :lol posts... zzzz
Your problem is not with the "NDF", it's with reality itself. I guess fanboyism has completely destroyed your capability for rational thought.
Zerodoppler said:
Because they want to play games in which the controls work?
Hot Shots Golf is a good game, but you're just being a moron.
virtuafightermaster said:
Do you think Wii is competing for different demographics. How many PS2, Xbox only owners, decided to go Wii only?
A lot, unless the non-Wii demographic has shrunk significantly since last generation.
Angelus said:
Again-if the consumer stopped and looked at all libraries on each system they would not choose to buy a Wii. Thats where I said the consumer is spending foolishly.
You're wrong, because the consumer ≠ you.
FirstInHell said:
This thread is so full of Nintendo flag waving it is almost sickening. You people make fun of PS3forums.com, but this is the same type of drivel that they would be posting had the PS3 sold 700K this month.
If the PS3 had sold +700k in a month, PS3forums.com's drivel would've been true and thus not as ridiculous.
Ariexv said:
If you count Wii sports then Minesweeper must be the highest selling game of all time by hundreds of millions.
Except that Wii Sports has proven it's system selling ability by keeping a +50% tie-ratio in a market where it's sold separately.
WrikaWrek said:
Mario Galaxy is Mario, it sells because it's mario.
And MGS doesn't sell because it's MGS? GTA because it's GTA? Seriously, this reasoning makes absolutely no sense.
WrikaWrek said:
SSB sells because it's a bunch of nintendo characters fighting each other. Traditional? Tell me when a fighter like tekken is made on the Wii and then sells like SSB.
No other fighter on any system sells like SSB.
X26 said:
*looks at HW sales*

*looks at SW sales*

*scratches head*

what do people do with their wii's?
Look again genius.
Zerachiel said:
I can agree to this, but I never understood why it was a downside for all the hardcore. I mean, owning all 5 platforms, who has time for the B+ to B- games?
I like to end on a positive note, so I'll say that this might be the smartest statement in the thread.

Jokeropia

PhoenixDark said:
NMH didn't sell "well" on the Wii in the US.
Compared to all of Grasshopper Manufacture's previous games, it did.
PhoenixDark said:
Guitar Hero sold well on every platform.
But only the PS2 version sold better than the Wii version.

Now please provide excuses for the other Wii third party successes. You can even limit the list to the ~10 million sellers if you want. I could tell you which ones they are, but since you're making such absolute statements you should really have done your research yourself.
Sho_Nuff82 said:
I don't think devs of M-rated software are going to break a sweat looking for that 'magic bullet' that equates to a Wii million seller worldwide
Capcom seems to have no problems, and that's with a remake and rail-shooter.

Tabris

Anyway… (not responding to Tabris, because you know.)

Cause you know I speak the truth. Wait for it. Next quarter of 2008 will show a radical transition to the eventual PS3's rise to heaven.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Tabris said:
Cause you know I speak the truth. Wait for it. Next quarter of 2008 will show a radical transition to the eventual PS3's rise to heaven.

I refuse to believe you're actually serious with this stuff.

Jokeropia

Tabris said:
Because whether you're a joke character or not, no one else is as completely removed from reality. In a world where logic doesn't apply, arguing is completely pointless.

(Doesn't stop other people from trying however, so it's not like your posts remain uncontested.)

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Tabris said:

If we get to the end of 2008 and this "Year of the PS3" that you've been harping on about over and over and over and OVER AGAIN doesn't happen, I would so absolutely love to see you try and weasel out of it.

Tabris

bmf said:
Does that constitute a bet?

There's no betting here, there's just a statement of what I believe is going to be the future for the console market.

People doubted my PSP predictions and they still doubt my PS3 predictions. They are dead set in the belief that the market cannot change even though the company they are cheering for proved that the market can change in a very drastic way within a small period.

Ariexv

Tabris said:
There's no betting here, there's just a statement of what I believe is going to be the future for the console market.

People doubted my PSP predictions and they still doubt my PS3 predictions. They are dead set in the belief that the market cannot change even though the company they are cheering for proved that the market can change in a very drastic way within a small period.
Whatd you guess about the psp? that eventually it would outsell the DS? that's not exactly a huge surprise since @ the rate the DS is selling eventually(hell maybe close to it already) everyone in Japan is going to have one.

Frillen

Tabris said:

I remember you predicted the PSP to outsell the DS world wide, but as we all know, that's never going to happen.

You also predicted the PS3 to outsell the Wii and the 360 during the February and March months. Didn't happen.

Anyway, I still think you're a joke account made by a mod, so who cares really :p (well obviously me)

schuelma

I believe Tabris also said the PS3 will sell the same as Wii worldwide by the end of the year..

harSon said:
So Lost Odyssey has sold roughly 400,000 units in the US and Japan (~269k in the US and ~100k in Japan). With Europe it's probably a lot closer to 500,000... the game did a lot better then I was expecting.

At those sorts of figures it still will have barely broke even, hardly encouragement for any third parties to develop RPGs for the 360/PS3.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
brain_stew said:
At those sorts of figures it still will have barely broke even, hardly encouragement for any third parties to develop RPGs for the 360/PS3.

Broke even for whom? The entire game was bankrolled by Microsoft as a loss leader for Asian development. It didn't cost Mistwalker a cent, and in the mean time their team got more 360 experience.

In terms of making money for Microsoft, why would they give a fuck? Between Blue Dragon, Cry On, Lost Odyssey, Infinite Undiscovery, Tales of Vesperia, Ace Combat 6, Beautiful Katamari, Eternal Sonata, the GTA4 DLC, and god knows how many behind the scenes moneyhats, Microsoft has shown over and over again that they're in this to aggressively steal games, developers, and marketshare from the old big players... not profit in the short term.

Microsoft will continue throwing bundles of cash at Japan. Some of it is sticking--Between idolmaster, Blue Dragon, outselling the Xbox classic, locking up the shmup market, and a few other minor victories, they're setting themselves up to at least have a toehold for try #3.

Christine

This is missing the forest for the trees. Tabris' credibility doesn't prove or falsify his claim.

Tabris said:
They are dead set in the belief that the market cannot change even though the company they are cheering for proved that the market can change in a very drastic way within a small period.

I believe that it was not at all coincidental that the 'small period' you name was a hardware generation transition. There will be no remarkable upset in trends unless something very remarkable happens to cause it. And I'm not underestimating the impact of large, system selling franchises by saying that they are not enough to effect this by themselves. Especially not the ones we've known about for years.

damisa

One thing that is against wii getting high profile games is that development cost doesn't matter much for titles that sell (or are expected to sell) big. For example let's look at a hypothetical situation where RE5 was wii exclusive.

wii sales
2 million sold
publisher revenue per game $40 (assume $10 licencing fee)
total revenue 80 million
total development budget 10 million?
net profit 70 million

this compares to:
PS360 sales
2 million sold
publisher revenue per game $50 (assume $10 licencing fee)
total revenue 100 million
total development budget 30 million?
net profit 70 million

No difference in profit even though they sold the same amount and the PS360 game cost 3times more, and the more a game sells the better it is for it to be PS360 instead of wii.

Tabris

jman2050 said:
He thinks Xenosaga III is the greatest RPG ever, that should tell you enough about how seriously to take him.

Fourth greatest RPG next to Suikoden II, Xenogears and Final Fantasy VII actually. Possibly fifth to Valkyrie Profile. I am going to assume you didn't play or finish Xenosaga III based on your opinions of Xenosaga I and II.

Zerachiel

Tabris, what happened? I remember you from Gamers Experimentations as a cool dude with impeccable taste in obscure Japanese games. When did you become a raving fanboy?

Frillen

Zerachiel said:
Tabris, what happened? I remember you from Gamers Experimentations as a cool dude with impeccable taste in obscure Japanese games. When did you become a raving fanboy?

The day Sony started to lose?

Tabris said:
Fourth greatest RPG next to Suikoden II, Xenogears and Final Fantasy VII actually. Possibly fifth to Valkyrie Profile. I am going to assume you didn't play or finish Xenosaga III based on your opinions of Xenosaga I and II.
You might be insane, and maybe a little rabid, but dammit if I don't love your posts.

I've got the same problem with APF in the OT... I love being abused.

neptunes

clashfan said:
I applaud the wii hardware sales but the nbd numbers tells me that the wii will not last because of weak software sales.
take the time to read at least 3 pages of this thread

you'll realize the total amount of software sold on the wii is inching closer to that of the 360

schuelma

clashfan said:
I applaud the wii hardware sales but the nbd numbers tells me that the wii will not last because of weak software sales.

I'm losing all faith in humanity.

andthebeatgoeson

Zerachiel said:
You can't tell he's joking? It's just Mono logging on for kicks. Look at his avatar.

Frillen

clashfan said:

What do you mean? The Wii has the best selling software at the moment, and has for the last three months. Take another look at the top 10.

Parl

Some of the arguments in this thread are old and tired and excessively myopic.

Why do you people compare Wii's third party offerings (which have generally been shit) to 360's third party offerings which have had MUCH bigger budgets? It's laughable. I actually find it quite pathetic.

Many low-budget titles on 360, that target the hardcore, fall under the radar and flop. Not so many low-budget titles are successful, it seems, however. On Wii, many low-budget titles are successful, and many high-budget titles are successful. The only thing is, is that Nintendo are the only ones with the high-budgets on Wii.

In the hypothetical situation where the situation was reversed, and 360 has Wii level third party efforts and Wii had 360's third party blockbusters, despite Nintendo software being strong competition, Wii software sales on Wii would certainly be much higher than they are on 360.

And this is just speaking of US. In UK, Sega is kicking ass on Wii, in a major way - Nintendo is a distant second. Sega have games that work for the market over here (in UK).

Seriously, people are pointing to 3rd party software sales being better on 360 than they are on Wii, which means they're basically saying that games like COD4, Assassin's Creed, etc, have outsold niche titles like No More Heroes and ports of 3-4 year old games like RE4, suggesting that if these games were on 360, with no upgrades to their graphics (but still managed to hypothetically have Wii's control scheme), they'd sell as good as COD4 and Assassin's Creed. COD4 doesn't sell because it says Activision on the box, and AC doesn't sell because it says UbiSoft on the box, just how DK Jet Race didn't sell just because it had Nintendo on the box, but games like Brwal sell because they're perceived to be well made iterations in a popular franchise, and games like Wii Sports sell Wii's because it's a well made game that captured the imaginations of its target audience, so to speak.

I despise the 3rd part vs 1st party mentality. In so far as Nintendo is a tough competitor on Wii... Capcom, Activision, EA, Ubisoft, Konami, Microsoft, Take 2 are collectively MASSIVELY tough to compete with on 360. I mean, Nintendo is a big competitor on their system, but they're the only one on there. There's lots of aggressive competition on 360. IMHO, it's easier to sell a AAA third party game on Wii, as long as it receives the team, budget and promotion a big 360 game would receive.

When main installment, ground-up, big-budget GTA Wii, MGS Wii, DMC Wii, RE Wii, GHIV, FF Wii flop. And when a large proportion ground-up, budget-budget new IP from A-grade development studios (which don't exist atm) flop. When Wii has proven is can't sell blockbuster existing or new IP from third parties, then I will consider it a console with the "Nintendo effect".

Tabris

I believe you have the wrong Tabris as I don't know what this gamer experimentations site is.

Oh skinnyrattler, Please look at the URL for my avatar.

harSon

Banned
brain_stew said:

And? Do you think Microsoft sought Mist Walker to make a killing? They were simply looking for a piece of the Japanese RPG market, something they've achieved to a small degree. Microsoft has proven that a JRPG can indeed sell well on an Xbox 360 and things are only going to get better as the install base grows.

andthebeatgoeson

Tabris said:
I believe you have the wrong Tabris as I don't know what this gamer experimentations site is.

Oh skinnyrattler, Please look at the URL for my avatar.

Ha, they forced that avatar on you? Either way, it still doesn't explain the change of posting style. You are not the tabris of yesteryear. Don't make me dig into your post history.

Parl said:
Why do you people compare Wii's third party offerings (which have generally been shit) to 360's third party offerings which have had MUCH bigger budgets? It's laughable. I actually find it quite pathetic.

Except that there's no reason to have expansive budgets on the Wii. Things get cheaper when you run with simpler models, lower resolution assets, and last-gen framework. UT3 is what, a cool million to license? Hell, even Activision thought people'd be fine with mono GH.

First of all, you have no idea if it broke even. Second, breaking even a month and a half after release isn't particularly the curse you seem to think it is.

LOL at all the people who try to dismiss Nintendo's domination. The perfect example of Nintendo's domination is the fact that both MS and Sony are scrambling to make their own version of the Wiimote! :lol

Son of Godzilla said:
Except that there's no reason to have expansive budgets on the Wii. Things get cheaper when you run with simpler models, lower resolution assets, and last-gen framework. UT3 is what, a cool million to license? Hell, even Activision thought people'd be fine with mono GH.

So now Wii doesn't deserve to have actual time and money invested in it's games because it's not as powerful as the PS360?

Please get this elitist shit out of here.

andthebeatgoeson

This been posted yet?:

NPD Reports Nintendo Finished March with Top Game, Top Hardware

In March, Nintendo again defined industry momentum in both home and portable video games sales, according to the independent NPD Group, which monitors retail activity in the video game industry. More than 720,000 Wii™ systems sold in March, representing the highest monthly sales total outside of holiday months (November or December) to date, while Nintendo DS™ also sold through nearly 700,000 systems.

Nintendo also finished with the top-selling U.S. game of March. Super Smash Bros.® Brawl, which launched March 9, came in at No. 1 with 2.7 million units sold.

"Nintendo systems represented 58 percent of all video game hardware sold in March in the United States," said Cammie Dunaway, Nintendo of America’s executive vice president of Sales & Marketing. "We expect our momentum to continue with big upcoming game launches like Pokémon Mystery Dungeon, Mario Kart Wii and Wii Fit."

Other March U.S. statistics, according to NPD, include:

Three Wii games finished in the top 10, including Super Smash Bros. Brawl at No. 1, Wii Play™ at No. 4, and Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock at No. 7.
Nintendo DS has now sold more than 19 million units in the United States alone since it launched in November 2004.
http://blog.wired.com/games/2008/04/the-big-three-s.html

Narcosis

clashfan said:

let me guess, you think only games which make it into the top 10 are the only games that count and the only ones that can turn a profit?

If there were any hardware whose game sales could be worrying it;s the PSP (talking overall, the impressive GOW and Crisis Core showings are an anomaly of sorts), the Wii is doing fine in software sales.

Top Bottom