• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official March 2008 NPD - There are no words. Almost $1B in SW sales

Tobor

bigmakstudios said:
Oh, that makes sense. My opinion, which I supported with a paragraph of exposition based on my experience with the game, is invalidated because you've made the assumption that I simply don't like games. I do like games. I like them a lot actually, and one of my favorite games of all time, Super Mario Galaxy, is Wii exclusive, to make it clear that I'm not just a rabid anti-Nintendite. I like the concept of a motion controller, but I don't think it worked all that well in Wii Sports.

I went back and reread your post, and as wrong as I think it is, you were just stating your opinion. My apologies.

DCharlie said:
Next stop on the bullshit choo choo : All the PS3 fans are waiting for GTA before buying a machine, it won't sell any X360s.

The train started pulling into that particular station about a month ago. Pachter got right off and has been reading the WSJ on the front bench ever since.

Slavik81

DCharlie said:
I know the arguments only too well - what i'm saying is that they are basically irrelevant and i think NPD numbers (showing that the PS3 has not swept away, and that the X360 has not suddenly stopped selling) back this up.

Sony's bonus here is they've managed to prevent further damage being done in that now they are trending within xx K sales in the US either way so that means they aren't going to get left in the dusts.
I don't think too many people are expecting North America to be a Sony stronghold... It seems reasonably clear at this point that neither the 360 nor the PS3 will be able to make a decisive victory. Not with the regional splitting that there is.

Sean

Banned
CrushDance said:
No it didn't. DMC4 PS3 outperformed the PS2 version of DMC3 in less time in Japan. And it's ahead of the 360 version by about 300k or so I believe.

It didn't bomb. 1.2mil?

Weren't Capcom expecting DMC4 to sell over 2 million units? Pretty sure I read that here a few months back.

It's not a bomb but doesn't seem to have met Capcoms sales expectations.

Neo C.

damisa said:
wii sales
2 million sold
publisher revenue per game $40 (assume $10 licencing fee)
total revenue 80 million
total development budget 10 million?
net profit 70 million

this compares to:
PS360 sales
2 million sold
publisher revenue per game $50 (assume $10 licencing fee)
total revenue 100 million
total development budget 30 million?
net profit 70 million

No difference in profit even though they sold the same amount and the PS360 game cost 3times more, and the more a game sells the better it is for it to be PS360 instead of wii.
Retailer revenue?
Taxes?
Shipping costs?

70 million in profit for whom? For the publisher?

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
I don't think too many people are expecting North America to be a Sony stronghold... It seems reasonably clear at this point that neither the 360 nor the PS3 will be able to make a decisive victory. Not with the regional splitting that there is.

i'm with you captain!

VPhys

Leonsito said:
I hope I'm not too late to the party, just made this in ImageReady:

wiibama-1.gif

I know I'm late but, O M G.

:lol :lol :lol

perfectchaos007 said:
This weeks top 10 software sales:

Brawl + Wii Play = 3,109,800 units sold
The rest of the top 10 = 2,963,600 units sold

GTA4 will double the sales of the other 8 combined next month, and that 8 includes Mario Kart, Smash, Wii Play, and GT5P.

farnham

Banned
bill0527 said:
None of the HD systems are at mass market pricing yet. I'm still holding out hope that either the PS3 or a non-gimped 360 version hits $250 or less, that either one will be able to make up some ground on the Wii. Probably not overtake it at this point, but at least gain a little ground.
x360s official price in europe is 200 euros (for the core sku)

its usually sold at a even lower price (230 euros for premium + gamepad + 2 games)

farnham

Banned
dammitmattt said:
GTA4 will double the sales of the other 8 combined next month, and that 8 includes Mario Kart, Smash, Wii Play, and GT5P.
lets see

GTA SA sold like 20 million on a platform that sold 100 million worldwide + the PC + a platform that sold 20 million world wide

do you really think that it can sell more then MKWii, Wii Play and Smash on a systembase of like 10 million + 5 million..?

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
farnham said:
lets see

GTA SA sold like 200 million on a platform that sold 1000 million worldwide + the PC + a platform that sold 20 million world wide

do you really think that it can sell more then MKWii, Wii Play and Smash on a systembase of like 10 million + 5 million..?

WTF?

Lobster

Banned
farnham said:
lets see

GTA SA sold like 20 million on a platform that sold 100 million worldwide + the PC + a platform that sold 20 million world wide

fixed it for you man.

I know it was a mistake and I don't want people to think you're crazy :lol

Darth Sonik

we need more FPS games
Online play makes a huge difference.

It means that this GTA will have a very strong debut week, as it will be a communal experience rather than a single player one. This reinforces a pack mentality among the consumers especially in a non holiday month.

Also.

Anyone else feel that the top 10 games for a month is totally inadequate with 6 viable platforms all releasing games. A top 10 would be good for a weekly release, but as this is monthly it should at least be a top 30.

If music & films can release much more data, then why can't a cutting edge industry like video games.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
DCharlie said:
but hold on ...

Japan = PS3 effectively dead. 8400 sales a week. barely at 2 million.
Europe (minus UK) = Yet is still ahead europe wide right?
UK: Yet still ahead overall and apparently now tracking at similar level as PS3 meaning the gap will not close (for now)
US: 4 million or so ahead, lead pretty much guaranteed. PS3 tracking about level, gap unlikely to close.

I dunno - Sony fans seem to have taken the couple of months PS3 edged ahead of X360 and converted this into guaranteed victory.

Except I'm not a Sony fan maybe?
Except that right now I vastly prefer X360's games library and I don't give a shit about Final Fantasy's games?

If you can't see why the market seem to point towards a more positive outcome for PS3 than X360 than maybe you're the fan.

DCharlie

Expect I'm not a Sony fan maybe?
Except that right now I vastly prefer X360 software's library and I don't give a shit about Final Fantasy's games?

oh i'm a massive Sony fan though! Now what? :(

I know I don't, Mithos. It's actually the first time I've just not cared about a main FF game, though FFXII was dangerously close. I just feel like everything I enjoyed about FF is no longer considered important to the series, and that all of the people whose work I enjoyed on the series have all moved on.

Lobster

Banned
Mithos Yggdrasill said:
Seriously?

[IMG*]http://finalfantasy-xiii.net/fabula-nova-crystallis/ffxiii/screenshots/unofficial/finalfantasyxiii_07.jpg[/IMG]

Don't you give a shit to this game?

If it weren't being made by S-E it could pass of as vaporware.

DCharlie

Jesus , even the character looks friggen bored.

either that or she has a bad case of pontoon eyes.

I was not aware of this disappointment about FF XIII. I suppose it is impossible to know everything on GAF. I'm still optimistic about the game personally. We'll see.

farnham

Banned
Mithos Yggdrasill said:
I was not aware of this disappointment about FF XIII. I suppose it is impossible to know everything on GAF. I'm still optimistic about the game personally. We'll see.
well the thing about FF XIII is that they showed the same CG trailer for over 2 years...

im sure they are still making it.. but the strategy they are using (and which is also nintendos strategy) is tiring for fans

farnham said:
well the thing about FF XIII is that they showed the same CG trailer for over 2 years...

im sure they are still making it.. but the strategy they are using (and which is also nintendos strategy) is tiring for fans

Probably Square-Enix is waiting that PS3 installed base is big enough to sell it decently.

farnham

Banned
Mithos Yggdrasill said:
Probably Square-Enix is waiting that PS3 installed base is big enough to sell it decently.
well yeah who cares if its a great game in the end..
DeaconKnowledge said:
I really think Square is fucking itself by all the re-releases and delays without any new games to replenish interest in their franchises.

FFCC ring of fates is actually pleasantly good

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Segata Sanshiro said:
I know I don't, Mithos. It's actually the first time I've just not cared about a main FF game, though FFXII was dangerously close. I just feel like everything I enjoyed about FF is no longer considered important to the series, and that all of the people whose work I enjoyed on the series have all moved on.
Couldn't have said it better.

Mithos Yggdrasill said:

I think the first sign that something was horribly amiss (well, aside from the purist brigade who cry that every FF after FFVI has sucked) was when they proudly announced the Hindu God of Destruction's amazing new ability to transform into a motorbike.

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
Seriously?

finalfantasyxiii_07.jpg

If someone doesn't give a shit about Final Fantasy, there probably isn't anything about XIII yet to convert someone. Unless they're really really into transforming motorcycles. Similarly, I'm not into MGS and MGS4 does nothing to change that.
C.T. said:
they should just release cg movies instead of cg movies with gameplay elements.
But those turn out even worse.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Pureauthor said:
...when they proudly announced the Hindu God of Destruction's amazing new ability to transform into a motorbike.
:lol I wanted to reply with something like "you can't be serious!" but then I remembered this is Square-Enix we're talking about.

Oh how the mighty have fallen. :(

ghstwrld

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
Seriously?

finalfantasyxiii_07.jpg

What is up with homegirl's face and what the fuck is she wearing? Am I really seeing a vest, with an overcoat, overalls, big ass buttons, and an empire waist? :lol

ghstwrld said:
What is up with homegirl's face and what the fuck is she wearing? Am I really seeing a vest, with an overcoat, overalls, big ass buttons, and an empire waist? :lol

You're just now getting surprised by Nomura's ever so tasteful clothing choices?

KTallguy

Banned
JoshuaJSlone said:
If someone doesn't give a shit about Final Fantasy, there probably isn't anything about XIII yet to convert someone. Unless they're really really into transforming motorcycles. Similarly, I'm not into MGS and MGS4 does nothing to change that.

People who haven't seen XIII will wet their pants when they do. It will be that good looking. It'll be practically the same jump that we saw from FF6 -> FF7 in terms of graphics.

KTallguy said:
People who haven't seen XIII will wet their pants when they do. It will be that good looking. It'll be practically the same jump that we saw from FF6 -> FF7 in terms of graphics.

Considering that many are of the opinion that the visual move from FF6 to FF7 was a downgrade, I'm not sure that's the best example.

KTallguy

Banned
Pureauthor said:
Considering that many are of the opinion that the visual move from FF6 to FF7 was a downgrade, I'm not sure that's the best example.

People say that because they're whores for nostalgia. That's totally fine. And I loved FF6 for the record.

But in terms of just pure technology, and the impact it had on RPGs when FF7 came out, I think FFXIII will match that and much, much more.

Obviously FF6 had beautiful art, but when FF7 did battles in complete 3D for the first time, complete with idle animations, etc, people all shit their pants. This is obvious from the game's sales.

KTallguy said:
People say that because they're whores for nostalgia. That's totally fine. And I loved FF6 for the record.

But in terms of just pure technology, and the impact it had on RPGs when FF7 came out, I think FFXIII will match that and much, much more.

Obviously FF6 had beautiful art, but when FF7 did battles in complete 3D for the first time, complete with idle animations, etc, people all shit their pants. This is obvious from the game's sales.
Whoa, whoa, whoa. It's your contention that FFXIII will do for RPGs what FFVII did? That's just plain nuts, my friend.

Brakara

Luckyman said:
Does not seem accurate. IGN has above 200k.

According to sonycowboy and the corrected simExchange numbers, it's 154,700. So IGN seems to be wrong here (which is why I don't trust their combined CoD4 numbers either).

Top Bottom