• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official March 2008 NPD - There are no words. Almost $1B in SW sales

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
KTallguy said:
People say that because they're whores for nostalgia. That's totally fine. And I loved FF6 for the record.

But in terms of just pure technology, and the impact it had on RPGs when FF7 came out, I think FFXIII will match that and much, much more.

Obviously FF6 had beautiful art, but when FF7 did battles in complete 3D for the first time, complete with idle animations, etc, people all shit their pants. This is obvious from the game's sales.

I think you're overestimating the effect Final Fantasy 13 will have on the mainstream market. As Joshua pointed out, if you don't like Final Fantasy as a whole I don't think the game will sway you even with the phenomenal presentation. Oh it'll sell gangbusters don't get me wrong, but they will be the people who have already made their mind up on it and kept track of it all these years.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
KTallguy said:
People say that because they're whores for nostalgia. That's totally fine. And I loved FF6 for the record.

But in terms of just pure technology, and the impact it had on RPGs when FF7 came out, I think FFXIII will match that and much, much more.

Obviously FF6 had beautiful art, but when FF7 did battles in complete 3D for the first time, complete with idle animations, etc, people all shit their pants. This is obvious from the game's sales.

No.

FFXIII graphics is just a continuation of what FFVII did, and the jump from FFXII is smaller than the FFIX->FFX transition (because PS1 graphics were shit compared to PS2)

Anyway I stopped caring about the series at FFVII.

matticus said:
I think GTA4 is going to sell more on 360 (by a good margin), but will sell more PS3s ... if that makes any sense.

Why would PS3 win out when the equation is (X360 library + Xbox Live + GTA4) vs. (PS3 + BluRay + GTA4) if X360 has a slight edge right now in (X360 library + Xbox Live) vs. (PS3 + BluRay)? If a consumer only cares about GTA4, the Xbox is cheaper and has the "better" (more expandable down the road) edition of the game; if the consumer is a regular gamer and just hasn't jumped in to HD gaming until now, why would their demographics be dramatically different from those of the overall market (which has increased its interest in PS3 but not to a degree that it is greater than its interest in the Xbox)?

Segata Sanshiro said:
Whoa, whoa, whoa. It's your contention that FFXIII will do for RPGs what FFVII did? That's just plain nuts, my friend.
Well it makes sense that the move to 4D will be as impactful as the one to 3D.
manueldelalas said:
FFXIII graphics is just a continuation of what FFVII did, and the jump from FFXII is smaller than the FFIX->FFX transition (because PS1 graphics were shit compared to PS2)
I wouldn't say they're a continuation of VII, because that generation's lineup still had a lot of 2D to it. A continuation of what X-XII were doing, sure.

Gaborn

clashfan said:
I applaud the wii hardware sales but the nbd numbers tells me that the wii will not last because of weak software sales.

Ok... what? Let's break it down.

I applaud the wii hardware sales

Ok, that's good since no other console in a non holiday/launch month have sold better.

but the nbd numbers tells me

Warning sign, people who watch sales numbers don't misspell NPD.

that the wii will not last because of weak software sales.

And what do the same NPD numbers tell you about the PS3?

farnham said:
lets see

GTA SA sold like 20 million on a platform that sold 100 million worldwide + the PC + a platform that sold 20 million world wide

do you really think that it can sell more then MKWii, Wii Play and Smash on a systembase of like 10 million + 5 million..?

NEXT MONTH

Read better

clashfan said:
I applaud the wii hardware sales but the nbd numbers tells me that the wii will not last because of weak software sales.
1z4fkt1.gif
+ doublefail.gif

Ariexv

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
Seriously?

[IMG*]http://finalfantasy-xiii.net/fabula-nova-crystallis/ffxiii/screenshots/unofficial/finalfantasyxiii_07.jpg[/IMG]

Don't you give a shit to this game?
I'm somewhat interested, it turning into a great game would probably be the thing to get me to buy a Ps3.... but after XII all my faith was lost in the FF series.

farnham

Banned
dammitmattt said:
NEXT MONTH

Read better
the argument still stands

there is a considerably smaller userbase this time around

double the sales of wii play, smash, mario kart, GT 5 P and other titles

that would mean that GTA4 needs to sell at least 4 million copies in April...

don't think that will happen in 2 days...

Gaborn said:
And what do the same NPD numbers tell you about the PS3?

Seriously. The PS3 software is selling like crap compared to the 360, and may be selling like crap in general. I would bet that more people buy movies for that thing than games. And it wouldn't be surprising because bluray movies look heck of a lot better than some of these piss poor sports games with crappy framerates.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Gamecocks625 said:
Seriously. The PS3 software is selling like crap compared to the 360, and may be selling like crap in general. I would bet that more people buy movies for that thing than games. And it wouldn't be surprising because bluray movies look heck of a lot better than some of these piss poor sports games with crappy framerates.

PS3 software is selling worse than Wii software by some margin. The last publicly available tie ratios which were as of September or October indicated similar tie ratios (Wii - Wii Play = PS3), but since then Wii software has been selling voraciously;

We know from public record that December and January, Wii software (just barely!) outsold X360 software. We can deduce from the PR releases in February that X360 software just barely outsold Wii software. We don't know anything about this month, but given that Brawl on its own is a 4.0 tie ratio to monthly sales, it's virtually impossible that Wii software did not match or exceed 360 software.

We also know based on leaked data from GAF and other public forums that as of last fall, the Wii's tie ratio was around 1 below where the 360's tie ratio was at that point in its lifespan, indicating substantially higher first year software sales on an absolute basis.

I don't think the Wii's software situation is anywhere near as poor as people assume from not seeing Wii software occupying the top 10 every month.

andthebeatgoeson

aztrex said:
The problem with your analogy is that the market has never been able to maintain greater than three platforms.

More devs is great. That's great news. More hardware manufacturers is a bad thing. Number one, look at Microsoft. They've been in the game since 2002, thrown billions of dollars at their brand and only now are turning profits. Not many companies have that kind of cash on hand to bankroll establishing a brand. Unless one of the current three throw in the towel (Can't see that happening) you won't see a legitimately competitive fourth console manufacturer appear.
Fuck you dude.

Dreamcast 2 Defense Force Unite!

Oh wait, you said legitimate. Nevermind boys, he wasn't talking about us.

*laughs*

And competitive?!

*puts out torch*

*cries*

People are seriously underestimating Mario Kart, the thing just destroyed the sales charts in Europe (with a debut more than every other Wii mario game combined and that was with supply constraints) and is Nintendo's second biggest property behind Smash. It won't outsel GTA in April but it on't be as far behind as many think.

Zerachiel

JavyOO7 said:
Nintendo I believe will keep this momentum going when Mario Kart releases this month in the states and then Wii Fit coing in the wings.

And just because Nintendo has not released their 2nd half schedule does not mean they got nothing in the wings for the 2nd half of this year. I imagine they hell one hell of a line up to please the casual fan base as well as the regular Nintendo fan base.

Nintendo definitely has something up their sleeve at E3 for their second half of the year. If they didn't, there's no way they'd be releasing Smash, Mario Kart, and WiiFit within 3 months of each other.

DCharlie said:
I know the arguments only too well - what i'm saying is that they are basically irrelevant and i think NPD numbers (showing that the PS3 has not swept away, and that the X360 has not suddenly stopped selling) back this up.

Sony's bonus here is they've managed to prevent further damage being done in that now they are trending within xx K sales in the US either way so that means they aren't going to get left in the dusts.

The Doom scenario for X360 isn't going to happen - and it's a sign of how desperate some fanboys are that they are relying on the X360 momentum to stop dead , companies to stop making games, games to suddenly not get any better, etc.

Also - i'd say 98% of the 360 backlash is coming out sonyfanboys mouths along with pretty much all of the pro-sony posturiing. As i said, the anecdotal "people trading in X360s for PS3 because of RROD" AND the "Bluray victoly1!"scenarios affected the overall state of play by... let's see.... 50k+60k-10k. So three months in, +100k for Sony in the US. Doom indeed.

Next stop on the bullshit choo choo : All the PS3 fans are waiting for GTA before buying a machine, it won't sell any X360s.

I don't think anyone (well, except Tabris), is claiming that we'll return to the Sony domination of generations past. What is clear, however, is that the PS3 is in considerably better shape now than they were this time last year, seeing practically a doubling in year-over-year sales. I certainly would not have believed you if you told me, in February 2007 (remember, the sub-100k month, the month they got beat by the freaking GBA?), that Sony would outsell Microsoft in February 2008. What is meant by a "PS3 resurgence" is not meant in reference to the expectations before five hundred ninety nine US dollars, its meant in reference to the abysmal figures Sony pulled from February to October last year. And in that regard, I don't thinkanyone can deny that Sony is doing pretty well right now- a tie, or slightly edging out the Xbox here in America, means that they're selling better currently than the xbox is worldwide, with their lead in Japan (I know, it's not much, but it's something) and Europe.

Of course, they've still got a long way to go on software sales, and MS may have such a head start, and the comeback may be so minute, that it really doesn't matter. Still, to deny that Sony is looking better now than in February 2007 is absurd.

andthebeatgoeson

I don't see the xbox leaving, but I do believe the next iteration will be drastically different. MS is hardcore becuase they thought hardcore would be an easy transition to mainstream. I think the wii has changed that style of thinking in MS, and I wouldn't be suprised if the xbox720 or whatever is heavily based on the success of the wii
For MS to move successfully into the casual realm and sell as a number one contender, they have to get some semblance of how to make games. They are even further out from games than Sony is. MS doesn't make games nor doesn't inspire confidence that they can. They can't just 'switch' to making casual games or other types of games. There is a huge sea of difference between Wii Sports and other casual games. It involves the control and the interface. I don't think MS could replicate that in any respectable way. More importantly, they can't anticipate or innovate to anything more than were we are. The target will move by next generation and if MS shoots for this generation, they will be left behind. Who knows what Nintendo will bring next gen but it won't just be waggle in HD. I can't imagine what Iwata will let them do with the success of Wii and DS behind Nintendo. Lead from the front? Iwata is a pretty good businessman and a far more capable game maker.

Gaborn

Zerachiel said:
I don't think anyone (well, except Tabris), is claiming that we'll return to the Sony domination of generations past. What is clear, however, is that the PS3 is in considerably better shape now than they were this time last year, seeing practically a doubling in year-over-year sales. I certainly would not have believed you if you told me, in February 2007 (remember, the sub-100k month, the month they got beat by the freaking GBA?), that Sony would outsell Microsoft in February 2008. What is meant by a "PS3 resurgence" is not meant in reference to the expectations before five hundred ninety nine US dollars, its meant in reference to the abysmal figures Sony pulled from February to October last year. And in that regard, I don't thinkanyone can deny that Sony is doing pretty well right now- a tie, or slightly edging out the Xbox here in America, means that they're selling better currently than the xbox is worldwide, with their lead in Japan (I know, it's not much, but it's something) and Europe.

Of course, they've still got a long way to go on software sales, and MS may have such a head start, and the comeback may be so minute, that it really doesn't matter. Still, to deny that Sony is looking better now than in February 2007 is absurd.

I'm not sure people are denying the PS3 improved numerically from February or March 2007 for that matter. I do think however that considering the expectations that even existed in February 2007 and considering that in February 2007 there WERE people claiming that games like Lair, Heavenly Sword, and Uncharted WOULD turn the PS3's fortunes around and that the PS3 WOULD start to dominate holiday 07 and into 08, that it's reasonable to say the PS3 in that sense NOT in better shape.

Are they selling more consoles? Sure. But the trade off is they've been steadily losing belief that there is a recovery for the PS3 where it has a shot at 1st place. So in an absolute sense it's "Better" but at the cost of lowered generational expectations from a year ago.

Gaborn said:
But the trade off is they've been steadily losing belief that there is a recovery for the PS3 where it has a shot at 1st place. So in an absolute sense it's "Better" but at the cost of lowered generational expectations from a year ago.

But is there really anyone out there who believes the PS3 (or even the 360) has a chance at outselling the Wii this generation?

I think far more people are more interested at this point in finding out whether the Wii will be the best selling console this generation or the best selling console of all time.

farnham said:
the argument still stands

there is a considerably smaller userbase this time around

double the sales of wii play, smash, mario kart, GT 5 P and other titles

that would mean that GTA4 needs to sell at least 4 million copies in April...

don't think that will happen in 2 days...

4 million in 5 days is probably going to be on the low end of the aggregate estimates. The user bases are smaller, but people are buying HD software (especially 360) at a much higher and faster rate than PS2 owners. Remember, the PS2 was $150 (I think) when GTA:SA and a vast number of those owners were casual gamers. The PS3 and 360 are still expensive enough that most of the owners are presumably more serious gamers (aside from the more obvious point that the Wii has completely captured the "casual" market).

The other thing that I don't understand is that in an NPD thread, you are freely mixing worldwide numbers (for GTA:SA and PS2 user base) and US numbers (360 and PS3 userbases) in an attempt to further prove your point.

Here's how I see it going down - GTA4 will sell 4-6 million copies in the US (at a 2:1 360:pS3 rate) while Mario Kart will sell 1-1.5 million copies. Smash has already done most of its damage, so it will have a huge dropoff, and there is no big 360 release to pull Vegas 2 and AoT numbers. So if we look at the middle of my predictions, GTA4 will sell 5 million while Mario Kart sells 1.25 million. If the rest of the top 7 average 200k, that puts the "other" total at 2.65 million, which is very close to a 2:1 ratio for GTA4.

Gaborn

Pai Pai Master said:
But is there really anyone out there who believes the PS3 (or even the 360) has a chance at outselling the Wii this generation?

I think far more people are more interested at this point in finding out whether the Wii will be the best selling console this generation or the best selling console of all time.

I agree with you, and that's my point. If the PS3 was selling like some people believed it could, then it would at least be in the conversation with catching the Wii. I think most people agree and accept that's not the case at this point, and I also tend to think some people are quite rightly coming to realize it may be very difficult for the PS3 to catch the 360 in the US as well.

However, in the last year we've seen 1) the Wii has staying power 2) the Wii is the fastest selling console of all time so far 3) The PS3 is tracking lower than GameCube did in Japan, and probably only a bit better than that in the US? Therefore, my conclusion, based on people's expectations going into february/march 2007 is that yes, hardware is better than last year, but quite rightly expectations from the vast majority of people are significantly down.

Ceb

Segata Sanshiro said:
Whoa, whoa, whoa. It's your contention that FFXIII will do for RPGs what FFVII did? That's just plain nuts, my friend.

Going by their own words, that's exactly what Square's aiming for.

I think there are simply too many groups of people who were analyzing the PS3's sales last year, ranging from those who expected a complete rebound to those who thought that sales would only fall from that low point of last year and the platform would eventually die out.

I don't think the vast majority lies in either of those two groups, but I do think the PS3 is fairing better than a lot of people expected it to, or it at least has been in the last 3 months. However GTA4 is such a wild card really that we won't really know until next month where PS3 and 360 sales go from here. At least, I'm certainly not ready to make any assumptions. I would, however, like to see the launch of this game give a healthy boost to the sales of both platforms and give them some new ground with which they can compete with the Wii.

Gamecocks625 said:
400 bucks+no killer apps from last gen=low sales

avaya

brain_stew said:
People are seriously underestimating Mario Kart, the thing just destroyed the sales charts in Europe (with a debut more than every other Wii mario game combined and that was with supply constraints) and is Nintendo's second biggest property behind Smash. It won't outsel GTA in April but it on't be as far behind as many think.

Key words.

GTAIV will break the records, MK won't even get near it.

avaya said:
brain_stew said:

Key word.

GTAIV will break the records, MK won't even get near it.

Fixed that for you.

GTAIV will outperform MK by a large margin because it's GTA and it's releasing on 2 platforms but things would be pretty close next NPD if Wii owners were more starved for a big release than they are now.

avaya

Saint Gregory said:
Fixed that for you.

GTAIV will outperform MK by a large margin because it's GTA and it's releasing on 2 platforms but things would be pretty close next NPD if Wii owners were more starved for a big release than they are now.

I was talking about Europe.

avaya

Saint Gregory said:
Fixed that for you.

Are you talking about hardware sales? I don't think GTAIV will really do enough for the two HD consoles to even approach Wii.

In terms of software GTAIV will sell 16-18mn WW.

avaya said:
Are you talking about hardware sales? I don't think GTAIV will really do enough for the two HD consoles to even approach Wii.

In terms of software GTAIV will sell 16-18mn WW.

Nah, the software side is what I'm talking about and then only really because GTA will only be counted a few days for April.

All signs point to GTAIV being a great entry in the series and I imagine it will eclipse pretty much every Wii software release's LTD numbers by next month... unless you count Wii Sports of course.

Zerachiel said:
And in that regard, I don't thinkanyone can deny that Sony is doing pretty well right now- a tie, or slightly edging out the Xbox here in America, means that they're selling better currently than the xbox is worldwide, with their lead in Japan (I know, it's not much, but it's something) and Europe.

I think what a lot of people are still missing is that Sony has dropped $200 off of their launch price to achieve sales parity with the 360, which has dropped $50. Sony was in this position last year after July NPD, and even though the sales of both consoles were shit, the assumption was that the PS3 was going to be even or ahead of the 360 for the forseeable future. MS dropped $50 a few weeks later, and the 360 went back to outselling the PS3 2:1.

MS is still holding the cards in North America (vs the PS3). While it seems they are far too empty-headed to have a price drop to coincide with GTAIV, it is likely that a more sizeable drop could be done before the end of summer, which would push back the goalposts of an improbable Sony comeback even further.

andthebeatgoeson

Even with PS3 sales, I don't think GTA4 will cross 3.5 million in the first month. The advertising has not even been close to Halo3's. I'm predicting btw 2-3 million on the 360 and 1.2 million on the PS3. Just going by trends. Now, it very well could continue to sell a million for the next few months on 360 and end up north of 7 million with a big holiday push.

Zerachiel

Sho_Nuff82 said:
I think what a lot of people are still missing is that Sony has dropped $200 off of their launch price to achieve sales parity with the 360, which has dropped $50. Sony was in this position last year after July NPD, and even though the sales of both consoles were shit, the assumption was that the PS3 was going to be even or ahead of the 360 for the forseeable future. MS dropped $50 a few weeks later, and the 360 went back to outselling the PS3 2:1.

MS is still holding the cards in North America (vs the PS3). While it seems they are far too empty-headed to have a price drop to coincide with GTAIV, it is likely that a more sizeable drop could be done before the end of summer, which would push back the goalposts of an improbable Sony comeback even further.

Uh, no. For some reason, the thread isn't showing up in the sales archive, but here's another site that has July 2007 NPD numbers:

http://www.nintendic.com/news/780

# Xbox 360 - 198,400
# Playstation 3 - 98,500

This is the first time, I think ever, though it's possible that the launch window was an exception, where the PS3 is even close to 360's hardware numbers, and that's not due to MS's weakness, since their numbers have seen modest increases as well. Nobody in July 2007 thought it was conceivable that Sony and MS would be even with each other for the foreseeable future.

RROD essentially obliterated the 200 dollar price advantage Microsoft had at the start of the generation. If they're not dropping in advance of GTAIV, they're not dropping any time soon. Both companies are about in the same position to price drop, Sony because of the expense of the PS3, MS because of the billion-dollar clusterfuck that was their extended warranty.

Rocksteady33

Sho_Nuff82 said:

I think the different SKU's sort of distorts that argument though. I'll admit that yes Sony has dropped the price quite a bit, but they've also shuffled around the components of the hardware, or even eliminating some altogether (20gb).

Ceb said:
Going by their own words, that's exactly what Square's aiming for.
That's fine. It's noble they are aiming for that.

That said, ball's not really in their court here. FFVII enjoys the status of being the RPG with the largest impact on the genre. You have to go back to the origins of the genre to find anything as influential, and in terms of North America, you aren't going to find another RPG that had the impact FFVII did. RPGs on consoles were a barely viable genre before FFVII. After FFVII, they became one of the most popular genres. That's massive. And more importantly, it can only be done once.

In other words, stuff like this doesn't come around every generation. There is absolutely nothing we've seen so far to indicate that FFXIII will shake up the series more than FFXII did, and I wouldn't say FFXII had anywhere near the impact on RPGs that FFVII did.

Now I'm sure FFXIII will be very good, and for the Nomura fans, an extra-special treat as it marks his return to the series. I'm sure it will sell quite well and many people will be very happy with it. However, it can do all of this without ever coming into FFVII's neighborhood.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Segata Sanshiro said:
That's fine. It's noble they are aiming for that.

That said, ball's not really in their court here. FFVII enjoys the status of being the RPG with the largest impact on the genre. You have to go back to the origins of the genre to find anything as influential, and in terms of North America, you aren't going to find another RPG that had the impact FFVII did. RPGs on consoles were a barely viable genre before FFVII. After FFVII, they became one of the most popular genres. That's massive. And more importantly, it can only be done once.

In other words, stuff like this doesn't come around every generation. There is absolutely nothing we've seen so far to indicate that FFXIII will shake up the series more than FFXII did, and I wouldn't say FFXII had anywhere near the impact on RPGs that FFVII did.

Now I'm sure FFXIII will be very good, and for the Nomura fans, an extra-special treat as it marks his return to the series. I'm sure it will sell quite well and many people will be very happy with it. However, it can do all of this without ever coming into FFVII's neighborhood.

FF VII being the most heavily advertised game since SMB 3 certainly had a lot to do with its fame and overall impact. I somehow do not see this being the case for FF XIII.

AniHawk

I think the success of the Wii may be distorting the sales of the other systems here. While the 360 and PS3 fell from last month overall (and the PS3 fell a lot harder), both did pretty well for March. Last gen, the Xbox and GC were usually between 150k-200k and 100k(or less)-150k respectively, and the PS2 was somewhere around 300k monthly.

Pulling in 200k-250k a month from January through October, and having a holiday season of about 1.5 million consoles or so would mean about 4m systems a year. Now this isn't Wii/PS2/DS levels of success here, but I think the 360 could reach N64 levels (20m in NA) by the end of its lifespan, which would be an incredible success.

The PS3 is doing much better than last year so far, which is also a good sign. It will probably hit closer to the GC-Xbox numbers when all is said and done. The PS3's biggest negative comes from its software sales though. It seems to be sharing the same fate the PSP had, except without the initial boost of consumer support in the States.

gtj1092

Are the Ps3s software sales really that bad, I know they were bad but they seem to be improving. I mean didn't sony say they sold 1.9 million pieces of software which would be like half of the userbase buying a game. Just because there is no dominant stand out seller doesn't mean software as whole isn't selling. I'm sure the other two consoles sold to about the same ratio to their userbase.

gtj1092 said:
Are the Ps3s software sales really that bad, I know they were bad but they seem to be improving. I mean didn't sony say they sold 1.9 million pieces of software which would be like half of the userbase buying a game. Just because there is no dominant stand out seller doesn't mean software as whole isn't selling. I'm sure the other two consoles sold to about the same ratio to their userbase.
Unfortunately, at the end of the day absolute numbers count more than ratios. PS3 software sales aren't in the "DANGER ZONE" per se, and some titles have done quite well, but overall, it's not an encouraging picture at the moment.

gconsole

Sean said:
Weren't Capcom expecting DMC4 to sell over 2 million units? Pretty sure I read that here a few months back.

It's not a bomb but doesn't seem to have met Capcoms sales expectations.

Capcom expected 1.9M for DMC4 and last month they announce that the game have shipped for 2 M worldwide. Not sure how many copied have really sold to the gamer but it meets Capcom expectation more or less.

gtj1092

Segata Sanshiro said:
Unfortunately, at the end of the day absolute numbers count more than ratios. PS3 software sales aren't in the "DANGER ZONE" per se, and some titles have done quite well, but overall, it's not an encouraging picture at the moment.

Oh i know but I'm don't understand people on here expecting 4 million people to buy more games than 10 million people. Then calling one a beast and the other terrible when games appear to be selling in line with the userbase difference.

gtj1092 said:
Oh i know but I'm don't understand people on here expecting 4 million people to buy more games than 10 million people. Then calling one a beast and the other terrible when games appear to be selling in line with the userbase difference.
Well, some people are just unreasonable, but for many people, it's not that they are expecting 4 million people to buy more games than 10 million people, it's that they are expecting 4 million people with PS3s to buy as many games as the 360's first 4 million did. As to whether or not that's a fair expectation... well, that's a whole other conversation, I think.

donny2112

Wii is on track to

1) be the best selling home console in U.S. history
2) have the highest selling game in U.S. history
3) have the highest overall software sales in U.S. history (not counting Wii Sports)

On a totally different note ...

Just curious, but would anyone be surprised if the PS3 version of GTAIV sold less than 1 million in its first five days (to the end of the April NPD period)? 1 million in one month (let alone 5 days) is not something that happened much last generation, and I think it might've only happened on consoles with over a 10 million userbase at the time. Obviously this generation is different with both Wii and 360 having games debut > 1 million and neither are at 10 million users in the U.S., yet. Therefore, it's definitely possible for the PS3 version of GTAIV to cross 1 million in five days, but would anyone be surprised if it didn't?

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Capcom expected 1.9M for DMC4 and last month they announce that the game have shipped for 2 M worldwide.

3480 yen on the streets of akihabara brand new on PS3 and X360 already.

DCharlie said:
3480 yen on the streets of akihabara brand new on PS3 and X360 already.
Yeah I noticed last weekend it had collapsed. Along with Guitar Hero 3, which I grabbed for a mere 6000 yen!

I fear Kenzan is next for the chopper.

Top Bottom