• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official May 2008 NPD Thread - Wii, GTA IV, and more Wii

ziran

Nothing particularly surprising in these numbers. The inevitable outcome of a generation dominated by Wii. And obviously Wii numbers are amazing!

However, what is surprising is how so many Sony fans have grabbed onto PS3 sales as some sort of victory over 360, :lol

The difference between the two systems this month is statistical noise. And if is shows anything it's that PS3 has no chance of ever catching up to 360 and is destined for distant 3rd place in NA this generation in terms of hw and sw sold. PS3 needs to be doubling 360 sales for a good 6 months before it can be even reasonably suggested it's going to equal 360 ltd, let alone pass it.

EDIT-
sphinx said:
was this already posted??
Analysts baffled by GTA-hardware disconnect
Industry watchers scratch heads about Rockstar hit's inability to spark Xbox 360 and PS3 system sales.
By Brendan Sinclair, GameSpot
Posted Jun 13, 2008 11:14 am PT

When Grand Theft Auto IV was released in late April, analysts expected the highly anticipated Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 game to inspire gamers on the sidelines of the current-generation console wars to jump into the fray and pick up a system. Even though hardware sales from April and May didn't reflect the expected influx of new PS3 and 360 owners, the industry-tracking NPD Group's own analyst is holding out hope for a GTA-driven bump in June's sales "due to gift-giving for Father's Day and graduations."

In notes to investors today, Wedbush Morgan Securities' Michael Pachter said he was again surprised at GTAIV's inability to drive hardware sales. And without new Xbox 360s and PS3s finding their ways into consumers' hands, the game could lose its sales momentum in a hurry.

"Sales were once again led by GTAIV selling 1.3 million units compared with our estimate of 1.7 million units," Pachter said. "This implies a tie ratio of 28 percent, implying potential for tempering demand over the next several months unless the installed base for PS3 and 360 grows faster."

EEDAR analyst Jesse Divnich suggested this week's release of Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots might have an easier time moving hardware than Rockstar's latest.

"This is likely due to the exclusivity factor as exclusive releases on Sony's platforms have historically shown to be a better hardware driver than that of multi-platform releases," Divnich said.

Nothing new... but I wonder how pachter still has a Job.
Wow! At this stage it's really not complicated!

I'm staggered by how clueless analysts and other industry professionals continue to be!

I get the feeling if they stopped being fanboys of real gaming (lolz), and actually attempted to, you know analyse the mass market, they might not look so fucking stupid most of the time.

I mean, there are still delusionals out there who think HD graphics matter :lol

Jammy

Banned
schuelma said:
Top 20 is out (well, really top 19)

1. Grand Theft Auto IV (Take 2, Xbox 360)
2. Mario Kart (Nintendo, Wii)
3. Wii Fit (Nintendo, Wii)
4. Grand Theft Auto IV (Take 2, PS3)
5. Wii Play (Nintendo, Wii)
6. Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Nintendo, Wii)
7. Iron Man (Sega, PS2)
8. Guitar Hero III (Activision, Wii)
9. Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Darkness (Nintendo, DS)
10. Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Time (Nintendo, DS)
11. Call of Duty 4 (Activision, 360)
12. Iron Man (Sega, PSP)
13. We Ski (Namco, Wii)
14. Mario Kart (Nintendo, DS)
15. New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo, DS)
16. God of War 2 (Sony, PS2)
17. Game Party (Midway, Wii)
18. Guitar Hero III (Activision, PS2)
19. Haze (Ubisoft, PS3)
20. Super Mario Galaxy (Nintendo, Wii)

Wii-8
DS- 3 (4 if you count Pokemon twice)
360-2
PS3-2
PS2-3
PSP-1

Yeah, Pokemon should be counted twice. There's slight differences between them and two SKUs to track.

:lol Why are people still saying Wii is the only console to not only get crap but sell that crap? I see Haze and two Iron Mans which sell on SONY's platforms to go along with Game Party and potentially We Ski.

This chart, along with the weekly PAL threads and Media-Create charts really show how much Nintendo is dominating this industry by.

liuelson

Can we use some of the info in MS press release to calculate 3rd party sales on the various platforms this month?

boychat said:
...With $110 million in third party game sales in May, Xbox 360 continues to move more third party games than any other console. Lifetime-to-date Xbox 360 has generated $3.9 billion dollars at retail for third party publishers, or 59% of the total in this generation]. (May NPD data)
Only Xbox 360 is providing an improved software attach rate for third party games generation-over-generation. Xbox 360 continues to lead the industry with a record-breaking software attach rate of 7.7. (May NPD data)

RBH

schuelma said:

7. Iron Man (Sega, PS2)
12. Iron Man (Sega, PSP)
13. We Ski (Namco, Wii)
19. Haze (Ubisoft, PS3)

Wii-8
360-2
PS3-2
PS2-3
PSP-1
How the hell does Game Party continue to make it in the Top 20? :lol

Also really surprised by the PSP version of Iron Man.

radjago said:
Interesting to see what pops up in 11-20. Haze didn't bomb quite so hard then. And Mario Kart Wii pushed Mario Kart DS sales.
Considering how hard Haze was pushed on TV, I still consider it a bomba.

markatisu

So no God of War Chains of Olympus, Final Fantasy Crystal Core, Professor Layton, Rock Band or GHIII for the 360/PS3. I think 21-30 would be a much more interesting list.

I would consider Haze a flop finishing as low as did with the heavy magazine advertising and hype it got before its launch.

Midway must be ecstatic about Game Party, I mean that company bleeds money in its video game dept for the most part.

Sega reaps the rewards of Iron Man, too bad the game is so horribly bad :lol

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
sphinx said:
was this already posted??

Nothing new... but I wonder how pachter still has a Job.
I think that people are still baffled by the disconnect between demographics. It was easy for people to draw the parallel last generation between hardware and software. The hardcore seem to have this problem especially. It was easy to look at the PS2's user base, see games like GTA and Gran Turismo, and think "well, these are all the same people". But they're not an aggregate. GTA doesn't speak for a hundred million people as much as some would want it to. And truthfully there was a time last year that I thought GTA was a real opportunity and a potential boon for the 360.

But in some respects it's still speaking to the same choir. Hardware sales happen across years of time. People buy the 360 because it's in their wheelhouse. That's why "software bumps" rarely exist or at least have no lasting effect. If there was a way to extrapolate intention every time someone bought a console, I would surmise that it's infinitely more complex, and the situation much more diffused, then anyone is willing to give it credit for.

beef3483

No6 said:
You're assuming that Capcom had expectations that would be satisfying to them.

:lol :lol :lol :lol

I know, right? Why would a for-profit company ever set satisfying expectations? It is so much more productive to set dissappointing ones. [/sarcasm]

Your post history has always been negatively slanted towards the Wii, but now you're just venturing into the make-believe.

dyls

dammitmattt said:
I'm not sure why you're trying to pin the "Wii is only casuals" rhetoric on me, and I still think you've failed to provide any proof at all that core gaming is on the decline.

The Wii's software only really started selling well in about November of last year, so it would be more useful to see if PS360 software sales have declined in that time, showing that the Wii was taking away sales. Unfortunately, there's no real way to know that without having access to the complete software numbers. However, we could get a limited view of things if someone created a line graph using the top 10 software for each month broken down by platform. I wouldn't be surprised if as the Wii's software rose up, the others' was declining (GTA4 notwithstanding).

This month, however, it looks like the sales of Wii games in the top 10 alone may have outsold the total software sales for the 360 or PS3, and possibly even combined.

Wii total in top 10: 2.057 Million units
PS360 total in top 10: 1.314 Million units
Difference: 743,000 units

It's certainly possible that the rest of the PS360 software sold more that 743,000 units combined, but it's just as possible that it didn't. And when you add in the other Wii games that are in the top 20, it's pretty obvious that Wii software sales easily outpaced the HD twins last month. Was that due to just a surge in Wii software sales, or a decline in the others'?

botticus

RBH said:
How the hell does Game Party continue to make it in the Top 20? :lol
$19.99. And on that topic, can't wait for Game Party II!

Carnival Games seem to have run out of steam, in time for the DS version to release. Though I wouldn't be surprised if it's still in the top 30.

liuelson

Mgoblue201 said:
...If there was a way to extrapolate intention every time someone bought a console, I would surmise that it's infinitely more complex, and the situation much more diffused, then an analyst hawking a simple sound bite would give it credit for.

Well, there are some well-developed theoretical models out there ("Technology acceptance model" and "Diffusion of innovation theory") that address several factors for making such a decision. It's not that the available models aren't sophisticated...

Chris FOM

markatisu said:
So no God of War Chains of Olympus, Final Fantasy Crystal Core, Professor Layton, Rock Band or GHIII for the 360/PS3. I think 21-30 would be a much more interesting list.

I would consider Haze a flop finishing as low as did with the heavy magazine advertising and hype it got before its launch.

Midway must be ecstatic about Game Party, I mean that company bleeds money in its video game dept for the most part.

Sega reaps the rewards of Iron Man, too bad the game is so horribly bad :lol

Remember, Nintendo told us that 19 out of the top 20 were for their platforms, and in the top 20 we've only seen 12 of them. So 7 out of that last group of 10 are for the Wii and DS. Doesn't leave much room for 360/PS3/PS2/PSP software; only three slots.

Vinci

Danish
Concept17 said:
I dunno, I've seen nearly as many ads for that as I have Wiifit... might just be my luck though.

Seriously? The only marketing I saw for it was on GAF and maybe a couple of mentions of it on other gaming sites. But to the people who don't pay attention to those two locations? Nothing. Wii Fit is a different beast entirely though: Boom Blox can't compare to it in terms of the expanded marketing strategies involving all the news stations, Ellen, etc. and so on.

liuelson

dyls said:
This month, however, it looks like the sales of Wii games in the top 10 alone may have outsold the total software sales for the 360 or PS3, and possibly even combined.

It's certainly possible that the rest of the PS360 software sold more that 743,000 units combined, but it's just as possible that it didn't.

Well, MS press release said $110 million for 3rd party software in May. Back of the envelope calculation of $60 / title gives about 1.83 million units.

Chris FOM

dyls said:
The Wii's software only really started selling well in about November of last year, so it would be more useful to see if PS360 software sales have declined in that time, showing that the Wii was taking away sales. Unfortunately, there's no real way to know that without having access to the complete software numbers. However, we could get a limited view of things if someone created a line graph using the top 10 software for each month broken down by platform. I wouldn't be surprised if as the Wii's software rose up, the others' was declining (GTA4 notwithstanding).

It's certainly possible that the rest of the PS360 software sold more that 743,000 units combined, but it's just as possible that it didn't. And when you add in the other Wii games that are in the top 20, it's pretty obvious that Wii software sales easily outpaced the HD twins last month. Was that due to just a surge in Wii software sales, or a decline in the others'?

Sony's PR claimed 1.26 million total PS3 software sales, so unless the 360 sold only about 60% as much software as the PS3 did, not likely.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
jjasper said:
Haze sold better than Bloom Blox? That is terrible and depressing.

On the upside, FPSs are very front loaded versus puzzle games and I'm sure ~70k is not the debut they were expecting.

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
liuelson said:
Well, there are some well-developed theoretical models out there ("Technology acceptance model" and "Diffusion of innovation theory") that address several factors for making such a decision. It's not that the available models aren't sophisticated...
What do these models address? Anything specific? I mean it's likely that GTA was a big influence on purchasing decisions, even if we don't see any one bump. And there are a lot of reasons why someone would buy a console one month vs. buying it another month. It's all just numbers, even if those numbers could be groomed over and fit into a predicted formula, unless specific intent is addressed. Is it anything like that? I'm sure they are sophisticated, but I don't know exactly what they are and who has access to them and things of that sort.

schuelma said:

7. Iron Man (Sega, PS2)
12. Iron Man (Sega, PSP)
13. We Ski (Namco, Wii)
19. Haze (Ubisoft, PS3)

Wii-8
360-2
PS3-2
PS2-3
PSP-1
Whats the source of this?

Rolf NB

Chris FOM said:
Sony's PR claimed 1.26 million total PS3 software sales, so unless the 360 sold only about 60% as much software as the PS3 did, not likely.
Microsoft's wonderfully retarded practice of bragging about monthly attach rates* makes this kind of easy to figure out.
186.6k hardware units*7.7 hillbilly factor as per official PR=1436.82k units of XBox 360 software sold in the May NPD period

*it's stupid because the worse a console's hardware sales get, the more this number grows.

markatisu

Chris FOM said:
Remember, Nintendo told us that 19 out of the top 20 were for their platforms, and in the top 20 we've only seen 12 of them. So 7 out of that last group of 10 are for the Wii and DS. Doesn't leave much room for 360/PS3/PS2/PSP software; only three slots.

So Rock Band or Guitar Hero III for Xbox, Call of Duty 4 for PS3, and maybe a PSP game like God of War

borghe said:
It's a current gen NPD thread. AKA a bunch of "hardcore gamers" coming in and either complaining about the wii or stating that its sales are dependent on retirement homes and day cares.

Um, isn't that true though? Isn't the Wii's success predicated by expanding the market to people who don't normally play games with extremely simplified "non" games like Brain Age, Wii Fit, etc? If Nintendo didn't have those sorts of games on Wii, Wii would probably be the worst selling console right now.

bigmakstudios said:
Um, isn't that true though? Isn't the Wii's success predicated by expanding the market to people who don't normally play games with extremely simplified "non" games like Brain Age, Wii Fit, etc? If Nintendo didn't have those sorts of games on Wii, Wii would probably be the worst selling console right now.

'Retirement centres and day-cares' are hardly the sole environ in which one finds nongamers.

Jammy said:
:lol Why are people still saying Wii is the only console to not only get crap but sell that crap? I see Haze and two Iron Mans which sell on SONY's platforms to go along with Game Party and potentially We Ski.
We Ski is now crap?

Wow. I must be playing the wrong game.

We Ski was smart, tagging along the hardware accessory launch.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
We Ski is awesome. I would've bought a Balance Board + We Ski bundle over a Wii Fit bundle.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
schuelma said:

7. Iron Man (Sega, PS2)
12. Iron Man (Sega, PSP)
13. We Ski (Namco, Wii)
19. Haze (Ubisoft, PS3)

Wii-8
360-2
PS3-2
PS2-3
PSP-1
What the hell people? What. The Hell.

And Boom Blox didn't even chart. Great marketing, EA.

liuelson

Mgoblue201 said:
What do these models address? Anything specific? I mean it's likely that GTA was a big influence on purchasing decisions, even if we don't see any one bump. And there are a lot of reasons why someone would buy a console one month vs. buying it another month. It's all just numbers, even if those numbers could be groomed over and fit into a predicted formula, unless specific intent is addressed. Is it anything like that? I'm sure they are sophisticated, but I don't know exactly what they are and who has access to them and things of that sort.

I don't want to derail, but a lot of the arguments on GAF do tend to follow these models. For example, here's an abbreviated list of factors that are believed to influence the diffusion of innovations, and what might be a corresponding GAF argument:

* Efficiency (return on investment): "The value proposition of the PS3 is so much better because of BD!"
* Communicability (easy to explain): "Just look at the graphics!"
* Compatibility (with ones values): "Hardcore games are only on the PS360!"
* Relative advantage (over alternatives): "Better graphics!"
* Reversibility (easy to go back to past practice): "Backwards compatibility!"
* Divisibility (adopt in stages): "You can buy the console, then the Wifi, then the HD-DVD, not all at once!"
* Financial Cost: "$599!"
* Complexity: "Waggle controls don't work well for x!"
* Commitment (resources required to adopt): "Need an HDTV with that HD console!"
* Gatekeepers (person who controls decision-making): "Dads want PS360 for Father's Day!"
* Point of Origin (reputation of innovation source): "Nintendo is for kidz!"
* Terminality (deadline to decide): "Just wait for x!"

You can see the fallacy - Sony and MS (and apparently quite a few professional analysts) all can make arguments about why their platform(s) should be preferred in the market. But clearly, Nintendo's "arguments" more accurately reflect reality.

Vinci

Danish
AlphaTwo00 said:
We Ski is now crap?

Wow. I must be playing the wrong game.

We Ski was smart, tagging along the hardware accessory launch.

Maybe if it were GTA: Aspen, it would've been better - but as it is? Yeah, it's bogus. A non-game. And the graphics suck. And who wants to control a game with motion controls anyway!!

Odysseus

Banned
hey pachter, time to clue in.

sales spike for holidays and price drops. nothing else. this is america, dude.

everything else is driven by ol' mo, and that doesn't shift overnight. your gta bump didn't happen in april, didn't happen in may, won't happen in june, and i better not hear yall analyst dorks talking about july, either.

you're looking at a temporary bump for the bundle for ps3 and continued lackluster performance for the 360 and it will stay that way until november or a price drop, whichever comes first.

charlequin said:
The Wii's goal is to disrupt the notion of the gaming console as (a) a technological product and (b) an upmarket product for "nuanced" or "elite" or "hardcore" consumers. Both are pretty much explicitly the intended perception of both the PS3 and Xbox 360, but neither applies to the PS2 -- which is (unsurprisingly, given that it was last generation's winner) actually quite close to the Wii in many ways.

The business model for the PS3 was not invented from whole cloth. The idea of a video game console providing a cinematic experience gained prominence with the PS1. Better graphics, dvd playback, high definition, blu-ray playback and storage capacity are all what's known as "sustaining innovations". They are innovations that improve upon a core set of market values - values established during the PS1 generation. Moreover, Sony stated publicly that PS1 and PS2 were part of a plan to create a living room top box that would branch into the PC market.

charlequin said:
Nintendo really should be working directly with third-parties to cement their dominance further by putting their marketing muscle behind those third-parties who "get it" -- i.e. the strategy Sony successfully disrupted them with back in the day. But Nintendo's never actually been able to successfully apply a carrot to third-party relations, and they're so incredibly conservative that I imagine they're happier with a 100% certain ass-kicking than on risking a few million dollars to upgrade it to an 85% likely ass-kicking x2.

That's not what "disruption" - as defined by Clayton Christensen in The Innovator's Dilemma, or as used by Nintendo in their press statements - means. Disruption is not synonymous with ass kicking :D . As for the applying the carrot, I would argue that keeping dev costs down and money-hating MH3 and Fatal Frame 4 is a pretty effective carrot.

leroy hacker said:
This theory explains exactly why someone like Mark Rein is so hostile to the Wii. He sells his games based (partly or largely) on technology, in addition to selling tech itself(the engine). As high end technology becomes less important to selling games, so does his business.

Quoted because it needs to be seen again.

batbeg

Vinci said:
'a STEVEN SPIELBERG game'

no marketing

Seriously, wtf EA?

I don't know, it's advertised pretty well here in the UK but has only been lingering in the 20s so far, so about the same as it's doing in the US. It's a puzzle game, though, what's important is for it to consistently stay up there.

I'd be terribly disappointed if it didn't meet expectations though, because as much as I love the game there is room for a lot of improvement in a sequel.

Firestorm

So Brawl has officially passed the 5million mark worldwide.

Japan: 1,620,000 (as of May 11th, 08)
USA: 3,197,100 (as of end of May 08)
Canada: 200,000 (As of end of March 08)
Total Sales: 5,017,100

To pass Melee (7.09 mil) it needs 2,072,900 more copies sold... considering Europe and Australia STILL don't have the game that shouldn't be too hard.

Vinci

Danish
kame-sennin said:
That's not what "disruption" - as defined by Clayton Christensen in The Innovator's Dilemma, or as used by Nintendo in their press statements - means. Disruption is not synonymous with ass kicking :D . As for the applying the carrot, I would argue that keeping dev costs down and money-hating MH3 and Fatal Frame 4 is a pretty effective carrot.

The problem is: It appears that many devs, at least up till this point, have no appetite for carrots and prefer something else. And when I call that a 'problem,' I don't mean for Nintendo. Jump onboard the new values or get ready to be removed from the market by your own inaction - or, in Ubisoft's case, fumbling resistance.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
borghe said:
It's a current gen NPD thread. AKA a bunch of "hardcore gamers" coming in and either complaining about the wii or stating that its sales are dependent on retirement homes and day cares.
It's also a thread for Nintendo fans to gloat about how being number one in sales make the Wii the best platform this generation. I think Wii has a lot of potential. But everyone should be upset when shovelware outsells quality titles, no matter which platform they are on.

Unless you own Nintendo stock there's no reason to treat the sales alone like some kind of victory. You don't see people on movie forums gloating when Alvin and the Chipmunks obliterates No Country for Old men in movie sales. If millions of people are led to think video games are shallow and disposable it's a lose for everybody.

Link Man

Banned
Here's a hypothetical situation:

Let's imagine that upstreaming (as described by the strategy of disruption) is occurring with the Wii. If this were the case, Wii would be gaining a stronger foothold in more upmarket game markets (i.e. the software would cover more genres) and the HD consoles would be forced higher upmarket (their games would have to become more increasingly complex). The sales of the upmarket games on the HD consoles would still be high, as would attach rates (seeing as the Wii doesn't offer similar experiences...yet), but the sales charts would increasingly become dominated by software on Nintendo's platform.

Now, let's look at these NPD numbers. Can we reject the null hypothesis?

Were are those extra numbers for games like Boom Blox, Okami, and Haze? I figuered someone would have found them by now. Is the passion really goe out of NPD or are most people just playing MGS? Maybe i just missed them.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
liuelson said:
I always forget - does rejecting the null hypothesis mean disruption is happening, or that disruption is not happening? :)

Either / or could be written as the null hypothesis, but there's not anywhere near enough data in the top 10 monthly to reject or accept anything to any statistical significance, and his hypothesis needs to be worded mathematically.

laserbeam

Banned
Firestorm said:

To pass Melee (7.09 mil) it needs 2,072,900 more copies sold... considering Europe and Australia STILL don't have the game that shouldn't be too hard.

Id guess before the generation ends Brawl will approach 10 million sold.

Vinci

Danish
SapientWolf said:
It's also a thread for Nintendo fans to gloat about how being number one in sales make the Wii the best platform this generation. I think Wii has a lot of potential. But everyone should be upset when shovelware outsells quality titles, no matter which platform they are on.

Yeah, what the fuck is happening with Iron Man?

Unless you own Nintendo stock there's no reason to treat the sales alone like some kind of victory.

You can if you're fundamentally interested in seeing business strategies collide and how they impact one another. We're not allowed to enjoy watching the business of the industry as it fluctuates and alters? I find what Nintendo is doing fascinating not only as a Nintendo fan but as someone with at least a casual interest in business.

You don't see people on movie forums gloating when Alvin and the Chipmunks obliterates No Country for Old men in movie sales.

Interestingly enough, Iron Man only appears on the list on Sony platforms - at least in the Top 20. Otherwise I don't see your comment being analogous to anything.

If millions of people are led to think video games are shallow and disposable it's a lose for everybody.

Yeah. WTF Sega.

Frillen

schuelma said:

7. Iron Man (Sega, PS2)
12. Iron Man (Sega, PSP)
13. We Ski (Namco, Wii)
19. Haze (Ubisoft, PS3)

Wii-8
360-2
PS3-2
PS2-3
PSP-1

I knew NSMB was sitting in the 11-20 area :p

milanbaros

Member?
Firestorm said:

With the Wii being much more successful than the GC in Europe its become a lot easier to pass the big Nintendo games of last gen.

TheKingsCrown said:
Can we PLEASE stop directing anger at a console manufacturer because third parties weren't fucking smart enough to accurately predict the industry in which they operate?

Can we please stop fucking apologizing for dumbass developers?

I don't think the publishers are as dumb as you claim them to be. They have been disrupted, and such a market strategy can make even the most well managed firms look foolish. Often times, incumbents who have been disrupted are excellent managers who have done everything right - remember that overshooting the market is the result of steadily improving on a quality product. The reason why disruption is so frightening (CEOs have gone on record and said that they are literally scared of being disrupted) is because once it begins, continuing to operate in the manor that made you market leader will only make the problem worse. It's not easy to take the philosophy and processes that have been established in a given firm, and have led that firm to success, and completely realign them to a strategy that at first seemed unprofitable. That kind of a turn around would be difficult for any company, even Nintendo, who started on this path during the Gamecube gen.

You also have to take into consideration the fact that Nintendo's new philosophy is unpalatable or even impossible for some publishers and developers, as you can see below:

leroy hacker said:
This theory explains exactly why someone like Mark Rein is so hostile to the Wii. He sells his games based (partly or largely) on technology, in addition to selling tech itself(the engine). As high end technology becomes less important to selling games, so does his business.

If Epic embraced the Wii, they would go bankrupt. Over firms face a less grim fate, but their business model may still be predicated on providing improved graphics and online play to established franchises. If these values become irrelevant, all their marque franchises could become irrelevant as well. So for many third parties, the safest bet may be to ignore the Wii, or put small titles on the platform to pad risk in other areas until they can figure out a way to neutralize the Wii threat.

Vinci said:
The problem is: It appears that many devs, at least up till this point, have no appetite for carrots and prefer something else. And when I call that a 'problem,' I don't mean for Nintendo. Jump onboard the new values or get ready to be removed from the market by your own inaction - or, in Ubisoft's case, fumbling resistance.

There are ways to stop a disruptor in its tracks, but I haven't read enough of Christensen to explain them all. The only one I can think of off the top of my head is co-option (basically copying). But that won't really help third parties to slow Nintendo down.

Link Man

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
Either / or could be written as the null hypothesis, but there's not anywhere near enough data in the top 10 monthly to reject or accept anything to any statistical significance, and his hypothesis needs to be worded mathematically.
I am not suggesting using just one data point in such an analysis, of course. I'm just pointing out a trend that we should be watching for.

Top Bottom