• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official May 2008 NPD Thread - Wii, GTA IV, and more Wii

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
LiquidMetal14 said:
Tidbit for you. My little town had a PS3 sale when I was picking up my MGS4 LE. This is the first time I have eye witnessed such a thing. The bundles are selling. The game is a system seller here.

Yeah, that thing is flying off the shelves everywhere... plus you add in the Wal-Mart gift card deal etc.

Zerachiel

So much for the people expecting the GTA bump to happen this month...

It's really mind boggling. I remember some guy in a previous thread arguiing that software didn't actually move hardware units, at least in an immediate sense: rather, it tends to be a cumulative effect with a built up library. In other words, GTAIV will have an effect, just not an immediate one, in the way a price drop or new colors would.

Does anyone have LTD numbers yet? I remember Wii having a decent shot at surpassing X360's LTD in America this month.

Impressive software sales for the Wii, too, even if it's almost all first party. Taking half of the top 10 is a good sign, though Wiifit's sales were a little lower than I was expecting. Were theysupply constrained? Then again, Wiifit is the sort of game tothat won't have a great debut, but will have great legs, so...

LiquidMetal14 said:
Tidbit for you. My little town had a PS3 sale when I was picking up my MGS4 LE. This is the first time I have eye witnessed such a thing. The bundles are selling. The game is a system seller here.

Yeah, i'd say 250-275k for June is not out of the question. Xbox 360 does need a price drop though.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
I await Aaron Greenberg's explanation for this. Sure, they have the highest selling game, but that is all they have.

Bizzyb

Banned
Damn, looks like "Next Gen" HWD sales went down even with GTA

And PS3 outselling 360 is shocking. I bet it continues this month with the release of MGS4. Could MS be in trouble here??

Stumpokapow said:
LTDs:
PS3 - 4,450,000
Wii - 10,180,000
X360 - 10,270,000

Wii Play - 5,760,000
Brawl - 3,190,000
Guitar Hero 3 Wii - 2,200,000
Mario Kart - 1,907,000
GTA4 360 - 2,721,000
GTA4 PS3 - 1,442,000

PS3 will outsell the 360 in 21 years.

Wii surpasses the 360 next month!!!

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
navi001 said:
WII PLAY W/ REMOTE

why is a remote with a $5 game in the npd again :/?

It's in the NPD the same way Microsoft and Sony's games bundled with controllers are in NPD and the same way other $5 pieces of software are in NPD.

Pretty blah month everywhere. Its summer and the industry is asleep only to awaken again sometime around September.

Could MS be in trouble here??

They are still ahead millions upon millions of units. 20k ahead in a month is a BB at a freight train.

navi001 said:
WII PLAY W/ REMOTE

why is a remote with a $5 game in the npd again :/?

Because it's as legitimate a piece of software as anything else.

Wiimotes are offered by themselves in the same stores Wii Play is offered. People seem to be, instead, choosing to pay more to get Wii Play instead.

Pretty strong GTA4 360 numbers there. I seem to be almost an anomaly in not being interested in it right now.

Otherwise, PS3 slips ahead in the back and forth race with 360, while Wii apparently just needs to avoid drifting off track while looking back from a half-lap lead.

farnham

Banned
so
NDS POKEMON MYSTERY DUNGEON: EXPLORERS OF DARKNESS NOA APR 2008 9 107K
NDS POKEMON MYSTERY DUNGEON: EXPLORERS OF TIME NOA APR 2008 10 102K

this takes pkmn Dungeon at 600k... i begin to wonder if there will be shiren3 on NA shores since the mystery dungeon formula seems to gather some formidable fans in the US

Unison

NPD said:
"The continued success of GTA IV is not translating into big hardware sales for either the PS3 or the 360 but there may yet to be a lift in June due to gift-giving for Father's Day and Graduations."

Hilarious! :lol

npdgaftrek.gif

McHuj

Bizzyb said:
And PS3 outselling 360 is shocking. I bet it continues this month with the release of MGS4. Could MS be in trouble here??

If MS doesn't have a strong showing at E3 and a price cut, i think they maybe. Consumer mindshare definitely seems to be shifting to PS3.

The Faceless Master said:
i guess they diverted a lot of wii fit to europe after all

also: edit -i should read things slower and more carefully.

HELL NO! One look at the European charts will tell you that. After a record breaking first week, its been no where to be seen, not a single restock. The fact of the matter is that the Wii Balance Board is a lot more difficult to manufacture, ship and stock than a plastic disc.

jjgames

Coming in at number 12 on the top-sellers list, We Ski from Namco, which utilizes the Wii Fit balance board, was able to captilize on Wii Fit's cross-promotions in circulars and at retail.

This is surprising to me. #12 overall for a game that only works with an add-on? There are going to be tons of Wii Balance Board games announced now. (Majesco announced one today)

LiquidMetal14 said:

Too bad there are only a reported max of 200k of these bundles, if that.

Gamestop's in my area got 4 bundles each.

HD getting positively smashed in hardware terms.

The problem with these numbers is that Microsoft probably don't even consider these tiny PS3 "wins" a problem, but it will sneak up and bite them on the ass when the PS3 does finally post a margin of victory comparable to most months of 2007.

Odysseus

Banned
laserbeam said:
Lets see In April Weekly sales averaged:
Wii: 142,856 per week
PS3: 37,420 per Week
360: 37,600 per week

May Weekly sales average to:
Wii: 168,775 per Week
PS3: 52,175 per week
360: 46,650 per week

All consoles saw a weekly sales increase from April to May.

you divided april by 5

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
brain_stew said:
HELL NO! One look at the European charts will tell you that. After a record breaking first week, its been no where to be seen, not a single restock. The fact of the matter is that the Wii Balance Board is a lot more difficult to manufacture, ship and stock than a plastic disc.

Well, that's true for the U.K but from what I remember it seems to be high in the charts in other countries.

Leonsito

To the tie ratio fans...

Rockstar meeting:

- " I think that we should make GTA V exclusive for the PS3 ! "
- " Why ? It's selling half the Xbox360 version "
- " But look at the tie-ratio! It's better ! It's all about the ratio ! "

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Those GTA sales are good and all, but it seems like it won't be the no. 1 console series this gen.

Busaiku

laserbeam said:
Lets see In April Weekly sales averaged:
Wii: 142,856 per week
PS3: 37,420 per Week
360: 37,600 per week

May Weekly sales average to:
Wii: 168,775 per Week
PS3: 52,175 per week
360: 46,650 per week

All consoles saw a weekly sales increase from April to May.
You're confusing April and May, I think.

botticus

jjgames said:
This is surprising to me. #12 overall for a game that only works with an add-on? There are going to be tons of Wii Balance Board games announced now. (Majesco announced one today)
It works without it. Just has support for the board. And obviously seems like it would be enjoyable as such. Also only $30.

Slavik81

Next-gen should be interesting. Maybe we'll see Sony and Microsoft re-think their strategy.
It would be nice to see PC and console gaming more differentiated again.

Top Bottom