• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official next gen boycott thread - one generation future!

evil ways

There are enough current gen games coming out this year to keep me playing the current consoles for at least a year. I'll skip on all the next gen launches unless they announce the next GTA or MGS4 as a launch game for PS3, which probably won't happen.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
360 for $399? PS2 to equal or be more expensive? FUCK Next Gen. I'm staying right here and soak up all the good games that'll go cheaper than hell when all the fools buy up that expensive shit (not actually calling them fools, can do what you want, but sheesh).

I'll stick with my current gen stuff and PC thanks. FU NEXT GEN!

:D

megateto

I am sad I have to disgracefully leave the League of the Early Adopter, and become a member of the First Price Drop Buyer League.

Amir0x

Banned
As I said well before the price announcement, this is the first next-gen I won't be on board for any of the system launches. They have simply not proved to me that they are offering anything worth jumping on board early for, especially in terms of games. And with such an overwhelming amount of quality current gen games still in the pipelines, I'll be enjoying that until at least 2007.

OmniGamer

Isn't it ironic that Nintendo has the most internal storage of the next gen systems with it's measly 512MB Flash storage? Or am I mistaken?

Mrbob

I'm in. Until the PS3 is out. Then I'll have the one true next generation console.

The PS3 will garner the best next generation support out of all the platforms. The PS3 will be the most powerful platform giving PS3 owners the definitive version. I'll pay a premium for PS3 because I know I'll get my moneys worth over the years. 10 years of Playstation dominance earns you that respect!

Spencerr

Banned
Fuck early adoption, it's going to be too expensive. I'll go next gen when I move out and that's that.

That's about a year from now... so it might still be kinda early

Ranger X

It's not a boycott for me but just being a smart consumer.

next-gen for me begins in 2007.

1- i don't to pay full price like this for the first batch of console that will have more hardware problems than any other batch.

2- first games are rarely the best

3- my current backlog is huge enough and there's also quite a load of game still to come on my Ps2

4- HD era who? Should i give about wireless? - they try to create us needs.

Prospero

Here is as good a place as any to repost this link to a March 2004 essay on Pointless Waste of Time:

Life After the Video Game Crash, or Why Nintendo Won't Seem So Crazy in 2005

It seems more prescient every day.

As for the next-gen boycott: I'm an 18-35 year old single male with more disposable income than I have any idea what to do with. If I feel like I'm going to be priced out of next-gen gaming, then that's a bad sign for how these consoles are going to be received (that is, if the PS3 and its games and accessories come in around the price of the Xbox 360's).

With my gaming backlog, the limited time I have for gaming, and the better things that I can think of to spend money on, it's going to take a price drop or two to get me to upgrade.

WindyMan

Funny how a lot of you people posting in this thread are the very same people who wanted exactly what we're getting with the new sytems.

Be careful what you wish for.

jman2050

Prospero said:
Here is as good a place as any to repost this link to a March 2004 essay on Pointless Waste of Time:

Life After the Video Game Crash, or Why Nintendo Won't Seem So Crazy in 2005

It seems more prescient every day.

As for the next-gen boycott: I'm an 18-35 year old single male with more disposable income than I have any idea what to do with. If I feel like I'm going to be priced out of next-gen gaming, then that's a bad sign for how these consoles are going to be received (that is, if the PS3 and its games and accessories come in around the price of the Xbox 360's).

With my gaming backlog, the limited time I have for gaming, and the better things that I can think of to spend money on, it's going to take a price drop or two to get me to upgrade.

That's an interesting read... I hope to god it doesn't happen but, risking sounding like I'm declaring Doom for the business, it does sound more accurate and possible than it would've had I read it in 2004.

Bog

Junior Ace
You people spend your lives reading and posting here, and you can't pony up a couple hundred for next-gen systems?

Vandiger

Bog said:
You people spend your lives reading and posting here, and you can't pony up a couple hundred for next-gen systems?

Base price for the console is fair but the fucking gouging on accessories especially wireless adapter, controllers, and cables go too far. If Sony and Nintendo follow MS's tactics, fuck them I can survive on my backlog or just play PC titles till I need to upgrade my video card(should last another year or so). One console future just may happen by the end of this decade :p.

Pachinko

I'd like to give a big thanks to Microsoft, I was on the fence ready to leap off and break down to purchase an Xbox 360 at launch but if this messed up NO HD and WITH HD bundles coupled with a retail price of 3-400 USD which for canadians like myself is well... atleast 379.99 canadian for the regular pack and as much as 499.99 for the Super package with the hard drive and shit. I'm sorry but that's ridiculous. It's almost cheaper then the original xbox was thanks to the exchange rate differences from 2001 to now but still. I bought the first Xbox with a second controller and Halo + Dead or Alive 3 and it set me back a little over 700 bucks for the works. This time around if I buy 2 games , a second controller and the system it'll cost me nearly 800. Not to mention the cost of atleast a 32 inch HDTV factored in.

I'm seriously thinking I can just wait until next fall, right now it honestly seems like MS is gonna a multimilliondollar bath in their own stupidity. Just bring the damn system out at 399.99 USD WITH a hard drive and make it the only SKU , then after 6 months drop the price 50 dollars so when the PS3 launches they can drop it again , down to 299.99. With all this expensive system talk I'm gonna be suprised if the PS3 is less then 500 USD at its japanese launch.

COCKLES

being watched
Fucking luddites.

A cave in Afgahnistan awaits you cheapskates.

Come November and shiny PG3 / Kameo / CoD2 hits, you bitches will be in line.

MARK. MY. WORDS.

"I AM THE GOD OF ALL CONSOLES!"

emperor_xbox.jpg

"WORSHIP HIM!!"

Well, here in Australia the original Xbox launched here for about $600, which is pretty good considering how much Sony release their consoles here for ($700+). If Microsoft can get the value pack launching here for around $500-$550 (dreamcast lauched here at $500, best $500 I ever spent!) then I might be on board.

What trully pisses me off more than anything is that they're releasing two different packs, I won't stand for that, things like HDDs should be stock, as it'll only hamper everyones experience.

Fuck Microsoft. I trully thought they could win this gen :( They were sposed to be the gamers choice! Doing everything right for the gamer...!

Amir0x

Banned
COCKLES said:
Fucking luddites.

A cave in Afgahnistan awaits you cheapskates.

Come November and shiny PG3 / Kameo / CoD2 hits, you bitches will be in line.

Nah.

I'll be too busy playing games like Soul Calibur III, Shadow of the Colossus, We Love Katamari, Fire Emblem, MGS3:Subsistence, Dragon Quest VIII, Sonic Rush, Mario Kart DS and GTA: Liberty City Stories with all the money I save from NOT spending money on "next gen."

I use the phrase "next gen" extremely lightly, you understand!

Yep, I'm in. Fuck next-gen. Most of my time playing games is during the summer, and while at school, just playing some CS:Source and DOD:Source combined will probably last me for years. That, combined with the fact that I only had GC this gen, I could just buy a PS2, buy a million games for that, and some people at school will probably buy the next-gen systems - I'll just play theirs. I'm good.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
I'm in too. Nothing's got me excited about next-gen yet, certainly nothing to compare to Phantasy Star Universe, Okami, Zelda etc. Even Gunstar Super Heroes is more exciting than the 360/PS3 line-up so far!

And when Kameo is being touted as a reason to buy a 360, you know something's wrong ;)

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Yep, I was seriously going to buy a Xbox 360 this fall (had one reserved and everything for first shipment), but now i'm waiting for 2006 at the earliest.

why do people keep talking about Europe and Australia and shit? Nobody cares about those places that don't matter. We're talking about the US of A here. The greatest country on earth. We don't pay $399 for videogame consoles! **releases eagle**

OmniGamer

I never got the logic behind reserving a console BEFORE final pricing is announced...I reserved my Dreamcast, the only system i've reserved and bought on launch day, when i KNEW for SURE it was $199.

Can someone explain this huge backlash against MS because of the price announcement? I'm assuming most people expected it to be $300 but why is everyone totally going apeshit about it? We have about 10 threads with a combined 2000 or so posts, not to mention all over all the internet. It's a piece of consumer electronics. If this piece of news really has ruined your day then maybe you need to get out more.

Ironclad

Screw next-gen. I've got enough games I have to play, and more that are coming out that will hold me over well into the next generation. No need to spend the money I have already planned to pay for current gen games on an X360.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
The way things are going for me with WoW right now, I don't see myself needing a new console, or possibly game for that matter, until somewhere around 2015. Eight months in, and still loving that game to pieces.

mj1108

OmniGamer said:
Isn't it ironic that Nintendo has the most internal storage of the next gen systems with it's measly 512MB Flash storage? Or am I mistaken?

Plus wi-fi out of the box (along with Sony) instead of having to pony up $99 for a wi-fi adapter....

Tyrael

Wyzdom said:
It's not a boycott for me but just being a smart consumer.

next-gen for me begins in 2007.

1- i don't to pay full price like this for the first batch of console that will have more hardware problems than any other batch.

This is the main reason why I don´t buy a console on the launch. And how more advanced the hardware become, more sensible to early manufacturing problems they are.

I plan to skip the next-generation until 2007, still have a lots of games to play on Cube, PS2 and Xbox, and until then I will have the time to see what each new console has to offer.

Synth_floyd said:
Can someone explain this huge backlash against MS because of the price announcement? I'm assuming most people expected it to be $300 but why is everyone totally going apeshit about it? We have about 10 threads with a combined 2000 or so posts, not to mention all over all the internet. It's a piece of consumer electronics. If this piece of news really has ruined your day then maybe you need to get out more.

MS lead people to believe certain things (mislead) wireless controllers standard, high def era, hdd standard and possibly $300 range.. now with 2 sku's it renders it kinda irrelevant. I'm most pissed about the hdd not being standard, many would agree with a higher priced 1 sku rather then this "games must work w/o the hdd" junk. Not only that but $299 core and when you decide to upgrade (hdd $99) its going to be about the same anyways, $299+$40 memory card puts about the price of the premium not to mention the raping on controllers/accessories $50 ea. I dunno how much PS3 is gonna be (expensive) but i'm more inclined to wait and see now, also since x360 doesn't have a definite killer app just yet.

Top Bottom