• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official next gen boycott thread - one generation future!

Someone said this in another thread but the perfect solution to this is for them to do 1 compromise SKU. It would cost $350 and have the console, 20 gig hard drive, HD cables and 1 wireless controller. The remote control and headset are a waste of money and I'm sure they could eat the extra cost for a little while before the price comes down. However, it's probably too late for all this but maybe all this hysteria can come to some use.

Synth_floyd said:
Can someone explain this huge backlash against MS because of the price announcement? I'm assuming most people expected it to be $300 but why is everyone totally going apeshit about it? We have about 10 threads with a combined 2000 or so posts, not to mention all over all the internet. It's a piece of consumer electronics. If this piece of news really has ruined your day then maybe you need to get out more.

I just want to say that for me, the outrage isn't over the pricing (though that doesn't help). It's their plan to divide the install base of the 360 into HDD-enabled and HDD-less groups.

MrDaravon

I was also ready to jump down off the fence and get a 360 at launch, but the core pack is a joke and accessory pricing is absurd. Don't see myself getting any of the systems until the end of next year at the soonest, unless the Rev does turn out to be really cheap. Who needs next-gen when you've got Radiata Stories, We Love Katamari, Burnout Revenge, Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow, Romancing SaGa, Wild Arms ACF, Fire Emblem, Shining Force Neo, Gunstar Super Heroes, Dragon Quest 8, Castlevania Curse of Darkness, Digital Devil Saga 2, Mario Kart DS, Mario & Luigi 2, Megaman X Collection, Shadow of the Colossus, Resident Evil 4, the list goes on and on, and that's just through this year.

CURRENT GEN! FUCK YEAH!

bigNman

I think the xbox 360 is the most pointless console of recent memory.
The original xbox had a few things going for it:

1) Most powerful
2) Similar architecture meant large number of PC ports not availible for other consoles
3) The HDD which helped loading and gave developers something extra to work with
4) LIVE

With x360 the only positive left is LIVE. It's really a less powerful PS3 minus the next gen disk format and wifi.

I dont mind Sony being number one. The helped gaming become more mainstream. I dont mind Nintendo making hardware as its their buisness. But I really dont see why MS are still in the game.

COCKLES

being watched
bigNman said:
I think the xbox 360 is the most pointless console of recent memory.
The original xbox had a few things going for it:

1) Most powerful
2) Similar architecture meant large number of PC ports not availible for other consoles
3) The HDD which helped loading and gave developers something extra to work with
4) LIVE

With x360 the only positive left is LIVE. It's really a less powerful PS3 minus the next gen disk format and wifi.

I dont mind Sony being number one. The helped gaming become more mainstream. I dont mind Nintendo making hardware as its their buisness. But I really dont see why MS are still in the game.

'BigNman'

Why am I not surprised.

:megafuckingrolleyes-o-death

The proper solution was right in front of M$ the whole time, they simply didn't think of it or were not smart enough to take it. I'll just quote my post from the "I think I like 360 price thread"

ddkawaii said:
I think everyone would have been talking about the greatness of the pricing if Microsoft had included 1-2GB of some sort of flash memory in the $299 SKU and $399 SKU as standard. That way all games could use some form of caching and thus making it standard on all 360s regardless of SKU.

Microsoft could have wrapped "game cache" specific APIs into their standard distributed libraries and forced developers to use them allowing for an easier time at TRC for developers.

Also since solid state memory becomes cheaper with time and new technologies allow increases Microsoft could have internal storage standard and given themselves a huge amount of flexibility with future SKUs.

As it is now, I decided today to get the premium pack, but this whole incident just makes me fairly certain Microsoft is not ready to sit on the console throne yet and Sony will remain in control for at least another generation....

I expected this type of pricing but I was almost certain Microsoft was going to drop a bombshell and announce the 2 SKUs but all 360's with solid state memory.

Oh well, that's life. At least Euros aren't having to bend over like they usually do when it comes to pricing...

Motherfuck next gen. I'm getting all the goodies for Game Cube and GBA. Then I'm moving onto Saturn. I need to get me a white Saturn. Yeah, some of the games are pricy but lets face it, $60 games will almost be a standard next gen, offering little except new coats of paint on the same old shit.

Top Bottom