• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official October 2008 NPD Results

ayrkain

PS3 really sucked, but funnier still is watching the 360 apologists spin this as a victory. Less than half the sales with a lower price point. Ouch.

Haunted said:
I want to agree, but I'm playing Monster Lab right now, and it's pretty damn good.
And I'll stop pimping it now, it just irks me that some titles go by unnoticed, even on GAF.

That wouldn't surprise me at all. :lol
The selection of 3rd party Wii games has hit a nice stride for the fall that much I will say... but I'm kind of getting to the point that I'd wish I'd have just stuck with the Wii exclusively.

My big HD game was Mass Effect. I'm shocked at how much I dislike that game now. It fell below all expectations aside from production values.

Ahh well. Demos are cool at least.

-viper-

Banned
Guy Legend said:
PS3 has outsold XB360 worldwide this year. Nintendo's recent sales data also solidifies this.

More hard hitters besides KZ2 and MAG? How about Gran Turismo 5 and God of War 3.
+ Final Fantasy Versus
+ Uncharted 2
+ TRICO
+ 'Secret PS3 game'
+ Sony Liverpool's game
+ inFAMOUS

They've got PLENTY of games lined up

Eteric Rice

Zachack said:
That's still not jumping the shark.

Is it any surprise that the Wii-only posters have some of the highest post counts?

Like?...

-viper- said:
+ Final Fantasy Versus
+ Uncharted 2
+ TRICO
+ 'Secret PS3 game'
+ Sony Liverpool's game
+ iNFAMOUS

And people laughed at that guy's list of Wii games.

Tiktaalik

God damn Wii sales are absolutely insane. It's completely bonkers now.

360 FABLE II MICROSOFT (CORP) Oct-08 1 790K
360 DEAD SPACE ELECTRONIC ARTS Oct-08 10 193K

Fable 2 did about double what I thought it would, and Dead Space much, much less than what I thought it would do as well. From all the good impressions I got and positive buzz I thought it was going to do over 500k. This has got to be a disappointment for EA. Also, if Dead Space can only do 193k, then that doesn't bode well for Mirror's Edge at all.

BishopLamont said:
I'm going to enjoy it when Wii Music keeps selling, while LBP drops off the face of the earth. Wii Music is fun for the kids, think of the kids guys!
Neither one will chart in the Top 10 NPD again so we'll never really know.

Weisheit

Gary Whitta said:
Where's that awesome Tim Robbins/Shawshank pic with the different reactions? This thread needs it.

Here you go.

PS3:
shawshankredemption.jpg

X360:
shawshankredemption_4.jpg

WII:
shawshank.jpg

X26

Banned
BishopLamont said:
I'm going to enjoy it when Wii Music keeps selling, while LBP drops off the face of the earth. Wii Music is fun for the kids, think of the kids guys!

ah gaf, where 360/ps3 owners enjoy games and the wii faithful enjoy sales data

Evlar said:
Don't call someone out and then hide behind "subjective opinion" bullshit. Yeah, we all know your opinion is subjective. That doesn't slap a stamp of approval on playing the Genuine Nerd Card on Gary Whitta.

What else am I supposed to do? Visit his house and watch his daily activities?

I go by what I see, and subjectivity is all you're going to get. Comments like those are indicative to me of what is wrong with this gen. Don't agree with it? Awesome. I could be 100% wrong, but subjectivity is 99% of what this forum seems to be based on.

Keep up the good fight, apparently. You want to continue this, PM me. I'd rather read your profanity laced tirade there than trudging through this fast moving thread and others might appreciate it as well.

RBH

-Holy shit at Wii sales. It's going to do absolute gangbusters in Nov. and Dec. with the increased supply.

-Nice 360 sales. Seems like the word on the price cut is starting to get out to consumers. I'm interested in seeing what proportion of those 371k sales were for the Arcade console. It's only going to get better for MS in November with Gears 2 coming out. I think Banjo, Lips, and You're in the Movies will bomb terribly though.

-Terrible PS3 numbers. Yes, it's a slight improvement over last year's, but that's not exactly something worth bragging about at all. In a month with LBP, MS2, and SOCOM, hardware numbers were barely affected. The lack of a good bundle like last year's Spiderman bundle might hurt Sony a bit this holiday season (I don't think the Uncharted bundle will do much of anything at all).

-Great Fable II numbers. I'm still puzzled by the people that were predicting that Fable II would under-perform sales wise (Satterfield, 1UP). Guess they forgot about how well the first Fable did.

-Good numbers for LBP as well. Seems like the release date confusion didn't really hurt its sales.

-I'm REALLY surprised that not a single Guitar Hero SKU charted in the Top 10. Activision's got to be a bit disappointed to say the least.

-LOL @ Wii Music.

-Yay @ NBA 2K9 and Dead Space charting.

-viper- said:
+ Final Fantasy Versus
+ Uncharted 2
+ TRICO
+ 'Secret PS3 game'
+ Sony Liverpool's game
+ inFAMOUS

The only one from your list that is confirmed to be 2009 release is Infamous... but do you have a link to show these are 2009 releases?

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
BishopLamont said:

Not that I totally disagree with you (in the end Wii Music LTD > LBP LTD) but why on earth would you enjoy it?

suffah

Does maths and stuff
ayrkain said:
PS3 really sucked, but funnier still is watching the 360 apologists spin this as a victory. Less than half the sales with a lower price point. Ouch.

Who's spinning what now? :lol

Evlar

Banned
Zophar said:
That's because there aren't any pesky games to distract them from message boards.
So in two posts we've gone from "What are Wii-only owners doing on GAF lol" to "Wii-only owners have nothing better to do than dwell on GAF lol". That's impressive.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
I'm actually surprised at Wii Music not hitting 100,000 in its first month... now I wonder what the lifetime sales for it are going to be.

-viper-

Banned
Tiktaalik said:
God damn Wii sales are absolutely insane. It's completely bonkers now.

360 FABLE II MICROSOFT (CORP) Oct-08 1 790K
360 DEAD SPACE ELECTRONIC ARTS Oct-08 10 193K

Fable 2 did about double what I thought it would, and Dead Space much, much less than what I thought it would do as well. From all the good impressions I got and positive buzz I thought it was going to do over 500k. This has got to be a disappointment for EA. Also, if Dead Space can only do 193k, then that doesn't bode well for Mirror's Edge at all.
Too many games released in a short space of time.

Not everyone has the cash to spend. Go figure.

ayrkain said:

As if that dynamic is going to change anytime soon.

Eteric Rice said:
Hopefully Wii Music's failure hints to Miyamoto that this new audience wants something a little more beefy now.

Time to kick it up a notch, Miyamoto!

The casuals "graduate" into "core" theory confirmed?

Owzers

-viper- said:
+ Final Fantasy Versus
+ Uncharted 2
+ TRICO
+ 'Secret PS3 game'
+ Sony Liverpool's game
+ inFAMOUS

I vow to never put a "Secret ___ game" on a list. Ever.

Haunted

Thunder Monkey said:
The selection of 3rd party Wii games has hit a nice stride for the fall that much I will say... but I'm kind of getting to the point that I'd wish I'd have just stuck with the Wii exclusively.

My big HD game was Mass Effect. I'm shocked at how much I dislike that game now. It fell below all expectations aside from production values.

Ahh well. Demos are cool at least.
Fallout 3 and Dead Space are amazing, and certainly there are no better games out this month, not on Wii, not on any other console.

But people saying that the Wii has no, I mean no good games for this holiday season? It's just wrong.

Go play Monster Lab.

Evlar

Banned
djblackice said:
What else am I supposed to do? Visit his house and watch his daily activities?

I go by what I see, and subjectivity is all you're going to get. Comments like those are indicative to me of what is wrong with this gen. Don't agree with it? Awesome. I could be 100% wrong, but subjecivity is 99% of what this forum is based on.

Keep up the good fight, apparently.
No thanks, I'm sure Whitta can defend himself. Sorry to interrupt your axe-grinding, won't happen again.

Tiktaalik said:

It picked a bad month. I want to get the game but there is too much else to play right now.

gtj1092

Why don't we point out the people that said LBP wouldn't even make the top 10 in october?

Hint: they greatly outnumbered the people who thought it would be huge out of the gate, but don't let that stop you now

2 Minutes Turkish said:
Like many have said before, WiiMusic bombing is the real victory for gamers everywhere, both casual and core.

Hopefully Nintendo can stop treating us all like fucking morons and put some more thought into their next Wii____ title.

Give me fucking Mario Bowling you fucks.

Nintendo stated that all of their first party teams are hard at work on their "traditional games" now. The "Wii series" is similar to the whole DS "Touch Generations". There were many coming out in the beginning and then they just stopped and being replaced with games like Phantom Hourglass and the likes.

LCfiner

-viper- said:
+ Final Fantasy Versus
+ Uncharted 2
+ TRICO
+ 'Secret PS3 game'
+ Sony Liverpool's game
+ inFAMOUS

is this a fucking joke? "secret PS3 game"

take it off the list and suddenly your argument is credible.

[Nintex]

Well, Wii Music IS going to sell, just watch Nintendo launch an incredibly expensive marketing campaign with the ammount of money they made. First they get Obama to try it out on Oprah and half of the US population buys it.

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
dirtmonkey37 said:
EDIT/RE-QUOTE:

Wow, apparently my memory is worthless.

June 2008 NPD Sales Data

MGS4 did about 775K in three day's time.

I apologize for that...

DMeisterJ said:
No it was three weeks right? It came out on June 12th.

Or am I missing something?

Hehehe :D, my intuition actually served me well: I was right to begin with.

Yes, MGS4 did 750K in three week's time. My mis-mistake (I misread 7-17-06 for 6-17-08). I understand that sales are generally front-loaded but again, LBP's sales were only recorded for three days and it sold 250K.

So back to the user Nolan, I don't see why LittleBigPlanet won't do MGS4 numbers at least in the US.

chespace said:
They've gotten a handful of decent games but the Wii has been out for 2 full years and, let's face it, there just aren't enough games on the system that appeal to the GAF demographic. And yes, it is a 3rd party issue but that doesn't change my point.
I don't see the magical flow of great games on the 360 or PS3 though.

They've got a handful of great games, but not enough for your average GAFer. And a lot of these "highly rated" titles are more "overrated" then "highly rated". I use Mass Effect as one of many examples.

Haunted

-viper- said:
+ Final Fantasy Versus
+ Uncharted 2
+ TRICO
+ 'Secret PS3 game'
+ Sony Liverpool's game
+ inFAMOUS

I don't know whether this list is some kind of brilliant reverse trolling on the PS3 but I laughed anyway. :lol

BigBlackGamer said:
so is rock band and guitar hero. :|
You don't see me wanting RB or GH bombing. ;)

GitarooMan said:
Neither one will chart in the Top 10 NPD again so we'll never really know.
I'm sure we'll get updates down the road

X26 said:
ah gaf, where 360/ps3 owners enjoy games and the wii faithful enjoy sales data
Ah the sales are helping the industry and makes alot of people bitter. I thrive on people's tears.

jetjevons said:
Not that I totally disagree with you (in the end Wii Music LTD > LBP LTD) but why on earth would you enjoy it?
I actually find Wii Music appealing. Shocking news I know.

Calcaneus

Jesus, 803k. Its set in stone now, there is no way the Wii doesn't come out of this gen no.1. It may still be too early but we pretty much have our 2 and 3 set now too. PS3 fanboys shouldn't feel bad though, its a pretty respectable 3rd compared to how things were looking to be early 07.

WrikaWrek

Banned
Zophar said:
I just replied with a :lol: because I didn't want to get drawn into this childish bullshit. Read up on your facts (particularly about PS3 software in 09 and also the numbers/momentum for 08 on the two consoles worldwide, particularly Europe) and then get back to me.

"Wait for 09" has been engaged.

Top Bottom