• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official October 2008 NPD Results

Omikaru

Watch Nintendo bundle Wii Music with a Wii Remote now, or something similar, and see how sales explode. :lol

Still, words can't express how happy I am to see it bombed.

Gary Whitta said:
Sales no doubt destined to reflect its status as a poor runner-up to Gears of War 2.

I love this gen. Brings out the true gamers, really.

.................................,-~*`¯lllllll`*~,..................................................
...........................,-~*`lllllllllllllllllllllllllll¯`*-,..........................................
......................,-~*llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll*-,......................................
..................,-*llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll.\.................. ...................
................;*`lllllllllllllllllllllllllll,-~*~-,llllllllllllllllllll\....................................
................\lllllllllllllllllllllllllll/...........\;;;;llllllllllll,-`~-,................................
.................\lllllllllllllllllllll,-*.............`~-~-,...(.(¯`*,`,...............................
...................\llllllllllll,-~*........................)_-\..*`*;..)..............................
.....................\,-*`¯,*`)............,-~*`~................../...............................
.....................|/.../.../~,......-~*,-~*`;.................../.\..............................
.................../.../..../..../..,-,..*~,.`*~*..................*...\.............................
...................|.../.../..../.*`...\................................)....)¯`~,....................
...................|./..../..../........).........)`*~-,............../.....|..)...`~-,..............
.................././.../....,*`-,.....`-,....*`....,---......\...../...../..|..........¯```*~-,,,,
.................(............)`*~-,.....`*`.,-~*.,-*.......|.../..../..../...............\..........
..................*-,.......`*-,...`~,..``.,,,-*.............|.,*...,*....|.................\.........
......................*,.........`-,....)-,..................,-*`...,-*.....(`-,..............\........
........................f`-,........`-,/...*-,___,,-~*.....,-*......|....`-,...............\.......

Mrbob

jgwhiteus said:
Additional numbers:

Wii Music - 81K

Wow, even lower than I expected.

I know LBP gets shat on since some Sony fans have proclaimed it a game changer for the system. But....there were a ton of Nintendo fans on GAF who kept on saying for the longest time how Wii Music was going to be a huge sales success no matter how it turned out since it was built off the same philosophy as Wii Play and Wii Fit. Time to eat some crow boys! :D Outside of a bundle Wii Music is going to be one of the biggest flops coming out of the company in a long, long time.

Frillen

dirtmonkey37 said:
Its sales weren't measured for more than several days on October's NPD figures and it still amassed well over 200K in terms of sales.

If I remember correctly, MGS4 did about 750K in three weeks time.

The problem is that sales are front loaded, especially when it comes to games. The only games that sell well over time, are either a) Nintendo games, b) casual games or c) games included in bundles. So Sony either has to hope that they can catch the casuals with LBP or they could go the easy route and put LBP in a bundle.

There's hasn't been a PS3 title yet with decent legs, except the ones that are bundled.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Looks like Wii Music was jumping the shark for Nintendo. It had almost seemed like they should just press shit to a disc and people would eat it up because it was made by Nintendo and on the Wii. Maybe their level will be dropped a few notches and go back to making something that isn't Rock band with training wheels.

Haunted

Relix said:
Can you come up with a nice response except of laughing? Think of something and reply, ":lol :lol :lol "'s don't do a thing. There is a fact, the 360 is beating the PS3 for second year in a row, WORLDWIDE, and is gaining momentum on Japan and Europe. The PS3 doesn't have many hard hitters coming next year aside from KZ2 and maybe MAG. The 360 has a lower price tag. Everything on 2009 is to the advantage of the 360, like it or not. Oh, and Xbox has FF13 on USA, that has to count for something: one less heavy hitter for the PS3 (exclusive-wise).

I am not a system fanboy, but the results are clear now. The PS3 is the GCN of this gen.
That is fucking BULLSHIT and you know it.

The Gamecube was profitable for Nintendo.

Halvie

Banned
BigBlackGamer said:
RB came out in September. It charted for the September NPD back in October. GHWT LTD is on ALL platforms. Which means every platform probably sold about 90-120k

Yeah I am a moron and didn't notice the all skus and LTD till after I posted...was just hoping no one noticed :)

Baha

You spin me right round, baby
right round like a record, baby
Right round round round
You spin me right round, baby
Right round like a record, baby
Right round round round

Zachack said:
Wii Fit and Wii Play aren't minigames?
If you think Wii Fit is minigames, then you might aswell think every casual game is minigames and the other game I was referring is Mario Kart Wii, not Wii Play.

Evlar

Banned
GH:WT must be a casualty of the economy and a casualty of their own success. Must be. Now we know people won't continue buying new plastic instruments forever.

I'm kinda disheartened by the LBP numbers. Oh well...

spwolf

TheOddOne said:
Its still the year of the PS3!

/looks at numbers

ITS STILL THE YEAR OF THE PS3!

lol, yeah... definetly year of PS3 ... even more so over holidays... I think homer characters will have to stop coming to NPD threads until Sony drops the price...

Kifimbo

Additional numbers:

Wii Music - 81K
GHWT (all SKUS) - 534K
RB2 (LTD) - 600K

Last year for GHIII:

360 GUITAR HERO III: LEGENDS OF ROCK W/ GUITACTIVISION (CORP) OCT 2007 TEEN (T) 2 383.2K
WII GUITAR HERO III: LEGENDS OF ROCK W/ GUITACTIVISION (CORP) OCT 2007 TEEN (T) 3 286.3K
PS2 GUITAR HERO III: LEGENDS OF ROCK W/ GUITACTIVISION (CORP) OCT 2007 TEEN (T) 4 271.1K

Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock (PS3) 105,800

So about 1.1 million and that number only includes the game + guitar SKU AFAIK.

But november was the biggest month for GH last year. We'll see this year.

Relix said:
There is a fact, the 360 is beating the PS3 for second year in a row, WORLDWIDE,

Any source for this? I'm asking legitimately, because the NA YTD lead for the 360 is 18,000 units according to a prior post, but I don't know any worldwide numbers.

markatisu

Count Dookkake said:
Too bad for Nintendo that Wii Music doesn't appear to be a system seller.

Depends if it sells 80k or so every month it could be a real successful hit, on par with Big Brain Academy

Of course people are going to lol its sales anyway

I am amazed at GH sales, thats a far cry from GHIII

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Haunted said:
That is fucking BULLSHIT and you know it.

The Gamecube was profitable for Nintendo.

Good point. No wonder the Wii is making Nintendo twice the money :lol

CoG

Relix said:
I am not a system fanboy, but the results are clear now. The PS3 is the GCN of this gen.

That makes the 360... The Xbox of this gen?

Something to be proud of?

Glix

Haunted said:
Yes, that is the true key of Wii's (and the DS's btw) success - sustained software sales. A move away from overly front-loaded sales driving the consoles every month to a select few titles that have unbelievably long legs, unheard of for video games before this generation.

Unheard of? In the NES and SUPER NES days, tons of the big N first party games had serious legs.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Agent Icebeezy said:
Looks like Wii Music was jumping the shark for Nintendo. It had almost seemed like they should just press shit to a disc and people would eat it up because it was made by Nintendo and on the Wii. Maybe their level will be dropped a few notches and go back to making something that isn't Rock band with training wheels.

that's not what the expression 'jumping the shark' means

DMeisterJ

Banned
Wii music truly bombed.

Miyamoto has his first Wii _____ Brick on his hands... Let's hope that sports resort does the same, and he goes back to focus on Zelda/Mario.

Guitar Hero bombed too!

Wow.

Zachack

jett said:
I guess there are literally millions of copies stacked on the storeshelves around the world then.
So this is what NMA looks like in an NPD thread.
How many platforms were GHWT release on?
4 (doesn't appear to be on PC). 12 SKUs total (game, game+guitar, band).

The breakdown is what's critical. That said... those are not good numbers.

MoogPaul

I'm not a fan of the demo at all, but I actually expect Banjo to do well. I've seen lots of ads on all sorts of channels from fox to comedy central to the discovery channel (trying for the wanna-be engineer gamer?)

h3ro

chespace said:
We don't need, or want, the Wii fad to end.

Its success doesn't really hurt or change anything.

It's obvious that NPDs are all Nintendo fans have to look forward to anymore.

So awesome. :lol

Haunted

This month's bomba in Japan and the US makes Wii Music officially the second worst selling Wii ______ title, right?

Relix said:
Just sayin', you know. :p

Glix said:
Unheard of? In the NES and SUPER NES days, tons of the big N first party games had serious legs.
Damn, that might be true, I have no idea how the sales curved back then.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Wow at Fable 2!

Glad to see Mario Kart Wii still going strong.

:lol at Dead Space. Hey guys, buy this game! It has no HUD and is therefore awesome!

Zophar

Relix said:
Can you come up with a nice response except of laughing? Think of something and reply, ":lol :lol :lol "'s don't do a thing. There is a fact, the 360 is beating the PS3 for second year in a row, WORLDWIDE, and is gaining momentum on Japan and Europe. The PS3 doesn't have many hard hitters coming next year aside from KZ2 and maybe MAG. The 360 has a lower price tag. Everything on 2009 is to the advantage of the 360, like it or not. Oh, and Xbox has FF13 on USA, that has to count for something: one less heavy hitter for the PS3 (exclusive-wise).

I just replied with a :lol: because I didn't want to get drawn into this childish bullshit. Read up on your facts (particularly about PS3 software in 09 and also the numbers/momentum for 08 on the two consoles worldwide, particularly Europe) and then get back to me.

JavyOO7

Mario Kart Wii is fucking awesome. It's an incredible Mario Kart and deserves to sell more. Go MK Wii!

I'm sad that Wii Music bombed. Nintendo should be pissed and rightfully so. Their execution, I think, completely bombed with Wii Music.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
CoG said:
That makes the 360... The Xbox of this gen?

Something to be proud of?

Yeah err... you do know that the 360 surpassed the Xbox's LTD in less 3 years right? It's doing better, of course... not Wiistacular (=O!)

djblackice said:
Any source for this? I'm asking legitimately, because the NA YTD lead for the 360 is 18,000 units according to a prior post, but I don't know any worldwide numbers.

I think this, the strongest year for the PS3, and worldwide I say PS3 has a very, very slight advantage that becomes nill when you factor the 360's USA projected advantage by Christmas.

spwolf

Frillen said:
The problem is that sales are front loaded, especially when it comes to games. The only games that sell well over time, are either a) Nintendo games, b) casual games or c) games included in bundles. So Sony either has to hope that they can catch the casuals with LBP or they could go the easy route and put LBP in a bundle.

There's hasn't been a PS3 title yet with decent legs, except the ones that are bundled.[/QUOTE]

well, all of PS3's titles were bundled in one country or another.... hence sales of all sucked, eh?

Ysiadmihi said:
Wow at Fable 2!

Glad to see Mario Kart Wii still going strong.

:lol at Dead Space. Hey guys, buy this game! It has no HUD and is therefore awesome!

This better be a shot at marketing and not a freaking awesome game!

DMeisterJ

Banned
Relix said:

Wouldn't it be 2.5 actually?

GC = 99 dollars
Wii = 250 dollars

Wii = 2 Gamecubes

Therefore Wii makes them 2.5 times the money.

Math Reggie can get with!

Leonsito

I'm "happy" that Wii music bombed, I like the Wii and have bought Wii Play and Wii Fit, but Nintendo has to realise that not every shit they name "Wii ****" it's going to sell despite of his quality. This has to be the worst game Miyamoto has ever designed ...

The Fable 2 sales really are deserved, it's the first Molineux game that I really liked, I think he nailed it with this, shame about all the bugs, but I only encountered one and I managed to fix it.

How were the sales in the Playstation Hut?

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Yes, it is a bittersweet victory for Nintendo fans. 801k and still nothing to play this holiday. :lol

But seriously, why would anyone want the Wii fad to end? I think it's great for the industry that Nintendo is turning on a whole group of folks casual gamers.

If you're a hardcore gamer, you have 360 and PS3 and PC. Plenty of games, plenty of hardware to enjoy your hobby.

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
dirtmonkey37 said:
Its sales weren't measured for more than several days on October's NPD figures and it still amassed well over 200K in terms of sales.

If I remember correctly, MGS4 did about 750K in three weeks time.

EDIT/RE-QUOTE:

Wow, apparently my memory is worthless.

June 2008 NPD Sales Data

MGS4 did about 775K in three day's time.

I apologize for that...

:lol :lol :lol

WiiMusic bombs and the Wii still slaughters.:lol

LBP does great numbers and PS3 sales go down.:lol

The only sales that make perfect sense this month are 360 sales.

LCfiner

MS finally starts getting good numbers after the big price drop. About damn time they had a solid 300 offering. 2 solid months in a row.

I'm not surprised at all by the Fable numbers. game press (1up yours, mainly) who were predicting Fallout 3 would outsell it were totally forgetting the huge sales of the first Fable and the easy pick up and play nature of the game (considering it's an RPG). It's gonna be a beast this holiday and it deserves it. I just started playing it and got hooked for around 8 hours one night (work the next day was no fun)

Fallout sales are still good, but more in line with a more niche, hardcore brand.

The LBP sales don't surprise me, either (although i would have LIKED to have been surprised with >400K). I have it and like it, but people thinking it would cause huge sales explosions and even sell systems were living in a Kutaragi fever dream. It's a title that requires lots of effort and time to get the most out of it and is selling as well as could be expected.

The Wii is on another planet and all our comments can be summed up as: "whoa." [/keannu].

I'm glad to see Wii Music failing. yeah, maybe that makes me immature, but I don't care. that game always looked like shit. At least the appeal of Wii Fit and Wii Sports is immediately apparent.

Top Bottom