• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official October 2008 NPD Results

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death
Karma said:
November is usually double Oct sales so I am going to say the PS3 sales around 400,000 next moth which will be 66,000 lower than Nov 2007. Where are all the soccer moms that were going to buy PS3 for LBP?

Why do people set themselves up for fail?

Relix said:
I think this, the strongest year for the PS3, and worldwide I say PS3 has a very, very slight advantage that becomes nill when you factor the 360's USA projected advantage by Christmas.

So you don't have any numbers and you're counting this year, the second year the PS3 has been out, as its strongest year?

Doesn't that seem a little premature? Can you see how I'm a little confused at your statements? It's fine if it's your opinion, but objectively, you don't have any numbers to back it up (the part about worldwide sales for thie year)?

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Stumpokapow said:
that's not what the expression 'jumping the shark' means

Yes, it is, for the audacity of releasing such a half-baked game. Once I saw the premise of the game, that is exactly how I viewed it. it was as if they could just trot Miyamoto and Reggie out and make a tic-tac-toe game and people would eat it up because it was on the Wii. The arrogance in showing this at E3 as the big hurruh was appalling.

ampere

Fable did well, and didn't LBP technically not come out in October? I guess those are copies that snuck by or maybe it came out in the last few days of October.

Guy Legend

Relix said:
Can you come up with a nice response except of laughing? Think of something and reply, ":lol :lol :lol "'s don't do a thing. There is a fact, the 360 is beating the PS3 for second year in a row, WORLDWIDE, and is gaining momentum on Japan and Europe.

PS3 has outsold XB360 worldwide this year. Nintendo's recent sales data also solidifies this.

The PS3 doesn't have many hard hitters coming next year aside from KZ2 and maybe MAG.

More hard hitters besides KZ2 and MAG? How about Gran Turismo 5 and God of War 3.

Pachael

Wii is the system that we all believed in. Change has truly happened.

Wii Music bombing is music to my ears too - Miyamoto needs to get back to working on something that's a bit more substantive.

• Glad to see GH:WT not on the list actually.........I want it to become a service and not a product.
I wonder where it will land in the top 10 (if at all) in the next month, because there were supply constraints, at least where I live.

• Wii Music.....81k....good
  • Hey Sony, you need a price drop.

Barrett2

Dead Space is a great game, I am really shocked it didn't do well.

Safe to assume Mirror's Edge will also underperform?

You can kiss goodbye to EA's commitment to new IP. :lol

jetjevons said:
You're saying Gary Whitta isn't a "true" gamer? :lol

Yes, I am, especially after a comment like that. It's a good thing it's my subjective opinion, which you are clearly free to disagree with.

Like many have said before, WiiMusic bombing is the real victory for gamers everywhere, both casual and core.

Hopefully Nintendo can stop treating us all like fucking morons and put some more thought into their next Wii____ title.

Give me fucking Mario Bowling you fucks.

yoopoo

Banned
chespace said:
Yes, it is a bittersweet victory for Nintendo fans. 801k and still nothing to play this holiday. :lol

But seriously, why would anyone want the Wii fad to end? I think it's great for the industry that Nintendo is turning on a whole group of folks casual gamers.

If you're a hardcore gamer, you have 360 and PS3 and PC. Plenty of games, plenty of hardware to enjoy your hobby.
Well no retard will only own a Wii alone, its Wii + 360/PC. So folks will be doing gaming just not on Wii.

Only if there was a Halo caliber game like PZ0 this hoilday on Wii...

Zachack

BishopLamont said:
If you think Wii Fit is minigames, then you might aswell think every casual game is minigames and the other game I was referring is Mario Kart Wii, not Wii Play.
How is Wii Fit not minigames with a fitness wrapper and stat tracking (the latter is done by other minigame collections so it's not like that disqualifies the title)?

FrankT

ciaossu said:
Fable did well, and didn't LBP technically not come out in October? I guess those are copies that snuck by or maybe it came out in the last few days of October.

Pretty sure someone posted this as a joke earlier, but wat. :lol

chespace said:
Yes, it is a bittersweet victory for Nintendo fans. 801k and still nothing to play this holiday. :lol

But seriously, why would anyone want the Wii fad to end? I think it's great for the industry that Nintendo is turning on a whole group of folks casual gamers.

If you're a hardcore gamer, you have 360 and PS3 and PC. Plenty of games, plenty of hardware to enjoy your hobby.
I don't wish to receive a lashing sire, but why would a Wii owner be particularly angry? They've gotten some of the greatest games of this generation, and they haven't had to pay exorbitant amounts of cash for it.

The only issue with the Wii, is 3rd parties.

Zophar

djblackice said:
So you don't have any numbers and you're counting this year, the second year the PS3 has been out, as its strongest year?

Doesn't that seem a little premature?
That's exactly what I chastised him for in the first place :lol

X26

Banned
lawblob said:
Dead Space is a great game, I am really shocked it didn't do well.

Safe to assume Mirror's Edge will also underperform?

You can kiss goodbye to EA's commitment to new IP. :lol

But on the bright side...bargains! wooo

but really, that's too bad

CoG

Relix said:
Yeah err... you do know that the 360 surpassed the Xbox's LTD in less 3 years right? It's doing better, of course... not Wiistacular (=O!)

"The battle for number two is still undecided but one year later it's moot"

Jtyettis said:
:lol

I've got a few more select quotes about holiday sales expectations in mah bag as well.

Here, I'll find you my post-delay prediction:

Private Hoffman said:
Interesting.

On the PS3 side, I can confirm that one of the most played levels in LBP is actually one that gives you some easy trophies, and it's been played about 90,000 times so far. Game hasn't released in Europe yet either, and then level is unlikely to be played more than once.

The delay will definitely have an impact on sales for the month, since there won't be many days of tracking, but my guess is LBP would be somewhere around 200k.

There ya go.

Scrubking said:
Sure, I'll go pick it up for my Wii... wait... there is no Wii version. Sorry EA. Maybe next time.

Until then I hope you're happy with your sales. :lol

As a Wii only owner, what are you doing on a video game enthusiast forum?

Disappointed to not see Dead Space not do a little better, but :lol at Wii Music. LBP, right along what I expected, it will be a good seller but not the OMG game-changer some people thought/hoped/dreamed it would be.

Evlar

Banned
djblackice said:
Yes, I am, especially after a comment like that. It's a good thing it's my subjective opinion, which you are clearly free to disagree with.
Don't call someone out and then hide behind "subjective opinion" bullshit. Yeah, we all know your opinion is subjective. That doesn't slap a stamp of approval on playing the Genuine Nerd Card on Gary Whitta.

Haunted

Thunder Monkey said:
I don't wish to receive a lashing sire, but why would a Wii owner be particularly angry? They've gotten some of the greatest games of this generation, and they haven't had to pay exorbitant amounts of cash for it.

I want to agree, but I'm playing Monster Lab right now, and it's pretty damn good.
And I'll stop pimping it now, it just irks me that some titles go by unnoticed, even on GAF.

squatingyeti said:
You don't know that Hoffmann is Snah (or Hans as many know him)?
That wouldn't surprise me at all. :lol

Gary Whitta said:
It's kind of amazing to me that Wii is doing so great when you consider there's virtually nothing of interest happening on the software side. I mean 360 and PS3 both have their big exclusive holiday titles to drive sales, and Wii has... Wii Music? And that's it?

PSP anyone?
At least Wii had more than TWO interesting games this year..

So glad to see GH and Wii Music bomba.

Mrbob

Agent Icebeezy said:
Yes, it is, for the audacity of releasing such a half-baked game. Once I saw the premise of the game, that is exactly how I viewed it. it was as if they could just trot Miyamoto and Reggie out and make a tic-tac-toe game and people would eat it up because it was on the Wii. The arrogance in showing this at E3 as the big hurruh was appalling.

Indeed. The fact Nintendo trotted out Wii Music as their huge mass market focus at E3 makes its epic failure even more delicious.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Agent Icebeezy said:

but that's not what the expression 'jump the shark' means, so i really have no idea why you replied to me to repeat your original point which i understood quite clearly.

Guy Legend said:
More hard hitters besides KZ2 and MAG? How about Gran Turismo 5 and God of War 3.

I don't remember either of these being confirmed for a 2009 US release. Got a link?

clashfan said:
Is there any reason for a third party ps3 exclusive now?

Of course... but only for non lazy developers who understand the magical powers of the Blu-rays!!! The only third parties that will make exclusive games going forward are the ones that get published by Sony themselves like Insomniac games.

No Guitar Hero is strange. When I went to pick up WT I saw at least 5 other people buying it and many others looking at it. I thought it was going to be pretty big. Good numbers for LBP. I didnt think it would make the top 10 in Oct or Nov after the recall.

X26

Banned
Son.Ralph.Funk said:
:lol

If saying that makes you feel better....

Yea, who's he think he is! I mean just look at all those...great...games....that have and...are...coming ouuuuuuuut GAAHHH

sorry, couldn't do it

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Thunder Monkey said:

They've gotten a handful of decent games but the Wii has been out for 2 full years and, let's face it, there just aren't enough games on the system that appeal to the GAF demographic. And yes, it is a 3rd party issue but that doesn't change my point.

Zachack

Agent Icebeezy said:
That's still not jumping the shark.
As a Wii only owner, what are you doing on a video game enthusiast forum?
Is it any surprise that the Wii-only posters have some of the highest post counts?

Eteric Rice

Hopefully Wii Music's failure hints to Miyamoto that this new audience wants something a little more beefy now.

Time to kick it up a notch, Miyamoto!

I'm going to enjoy it when Wii Music keeps selling, while LBP drops off the face of the earth. Wii Music is fun for the kids, think of the kids guys!

Zachack said:
That's still not jumping the shark.

Is it any surprise that the Wii-only posters have some of the highest post counts?
Which would mean HD owners are too casual to be talking about games on GAF. Wii has more hardcore gamers confirmed!

Top Bottom