• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official October 2008 NPD Results

Sadist

spwolf said:
Wii Music was? heh.

2 months ago people would laugh at LBP outselling 1st party Wii game... and now LBP was supposed to do crazy numbers :D
... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ...

Good grieve.

Volcynika

fernoca said:
To me Dead Space sales are actually higher than expected...
It wans't advertised, not even that many people even here got the game..it was rleeased in a really comptetitive month and still managed to make it to the Top 10 with just under 200k, ...and it's a new name/game...Silent Hill is more known and didn't made it...neither did FarCry 2.

I've seen a good bit of ads on TV for Dead Space though D:

FrankT

Private Hoffman said:
Great sales for LBP.

I predicted 200k. Seems like I was dead on.

Great news that it managed to make the top 10 in such a competitive month.

Private Hoffman said:
I'm not taking a ban bet on LBP, but I predict it sells ~400k during its first NPD, but will have long legs.

Must of brought expectations down a bit.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Son.Ralph.Funk said:
Don't worry "hardcores", the "Wii fad" will die........in about 2012.

We don't need, or want, the Wii fad to end.

Its success doesn't really hurt or change anything.

It's obvious that NPDs are all Nintendo fans have to look forward to anymore.

Private Hoffman said:
I bet Banjo does worse in November than LBP does in November.

This needs noting.

I don't know if Banjo will do as bad as people think. I don't see why Banjo can't op 200K personally.

Hopefully PS3 owners give Resistance 2 the respect it deserves. I know I'll be doing my part.

It's kind of amazing to me that Wii is doing so great when you consider there's virtually nothing of interest happening on the software side. I mean 360 and PS3 both have their big exclusive holiday titles to drive sales, and Wii has... Wii Music? And that's it?

Scotch said:
October saw the release of SOCOM, Motorstorm 2 and LBP, not to mention a whole bunch of AAA third party games. It should have had a bigger bump than this.

Bah, who am I kidding, you're probably Shane B's joke account anyway.

None of those titles are in the same league in terms of proven sales potential as even a Fable 2, let alone a Halo 3. Halo 3 boosted 360 sales by a huge amount last September and even carried over into October.

SOCOM is a series that has long been forgotten. LittleBigPlanet is a new IP, and MotorStorm 2 received the usual 'sequel to a launch racer era flop' ala PGR4.

Haunted

Gary Whitta said:
What are all these people doing with their Wiis? Mine pretty much just gathers dust.
Monster Lab is fucking awesome. Best Front Mission clone of the year, imo.

Clearly, that's not what all these people are playing, though. *looks at Software Top 5*

Gary Whitta said:
It's kind of amazing to me that Wii is doing so great when you consider there's virtually nothing of interest happening on the software side. I mean 360 and PS3 both have their big exclusive holiday titles to drive sales, and Wii has... Wii Music? And that's it?
Yes, that is the true key of Wii's (and the DS's btw) success - sustained software sales. A move away from overly front-loaded sales driving the consoles every month to a select few titles that have unbelievably long legs, unheard of for video games before this generation.

Y2Kev said:
yes

now stfu
Man oh man, thread delivers.

Wii Music bomba!

DogWelder

sykoex said:
I don't understant this type of talk. Do you not realize that as this year comes to a close, PS3 and 360 are almost neck and neck, despite 360 having a year-long headstart?

And that makes it year of the PS3 how?

Banned
sykoex said:
I don't understant this type of talk. Do you not realize that as this year comes to a close, PS3 and 360 are almost neck and neck, despite 360 having a year-long headstart?

Neck and neck? The 360 has a 5 Million plus lead WW and after the next 2 months that lead will be closer to 6 million.

Guy Legend

So PS3 sales are up 57% this October compared to the last and some people are laughing at its sales. Right... We already know that Sony is putting higher priority on profitability than trying to sell more units. It looks like they are trying to get through this holiday season with respectable numbers, much higher than last year and not breaking the balance sheet in the process. When it's feasible, they drop next year. Also they won't be cannibalizing sales of blu-ray players due to the falling prices of dedicated hardware.

However, I'm amazed that we're in mid November and Sony hasn't bundled anything with the $400 system. No Littlebigplanet. No game. Not even a bluray movie. They could at least have released a white system here to generate excitement on the hardware end. And forget about that lame $500 Uncharted bundle that offers no additional functionality (backwards compatibility). Speaking of BC, it's omission has a real affect on sales.

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
Frillen said:
No I don't. There's not a chance in hell it will ever happen.

Its sales weren't measured for more than several days on October's NPD figures and it still amassed well over 200K in terms of sales.

If I remember correctly, MGS4 did about 750K in three weeks time.

Halvie said:
How didn't GH and RB make the list then...did they come out in Nov?

and as someone who isn't an Obama fan...don't compare the guy to the Wii he isn't that big of a piece of shit.

RB came out in September. It charted for the September NPD back in October. GHWT LTD is on ALL platforms. Which means every platform probably sold about 90-120k

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
chespace said:

Changes the responses in threads like this and the amount of hilarity that ensues.

Scrubking

Dan said:
Damnit people, buy Dead Space! I don't care for which console, just buy it.

Sure, I'll go pick it up for my Wii... wait... there is no Wii version. Sorry EA. Maybe next time.

Until then I hope you're happy with your sales. :lol

Grecco said:
McCain was closer to the White house than Hillary was. So it really fits.

Actually it doesn't fit at all in that sense since it's not like they got votes within the same race time period but whatever.

DogWelder

chespace said:

It's obvious that NPDs are all Nintendo fans have to look forward to anymore.

:lol :lol

Diablos

Halvie said:
How didn't GH and RB make the list then...did they come out in Nov?

and as someone who isn't an Obama fan...don't compare the guy to the Wii he isn't that big of a piece of shit.
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Guy Legend said:
So PS3 sales are up 57% this October compared to the last and some people are laughing at its sales. Right... We already know that Sony is putting higher priority on profitability than trying to sell more units. It looks like they are trying to get through this holiday season with respectable numbers, much higher than last year and not breaking the balance sheet in the process. When it's feasible, they drop next year. Also they won't be cannibalizing sales of blu-ray players due to the falling prices of dedicated hardware.

However, I'm amazed that we're in mid November and Sony hasn't bundled anything with the $400 system. No Littlebigplanet. No game. Not even a bluray movie. They could at least have released a white system here to generate excitement on the hardware end. And forget about that lame $500 Uncharted bundle that offers no additional functionality (backwards compatibility). Speaking of BC, it's omission has a real affect on sales.

I give this spin a 6.8. I've seen better.

spwolf

Frillen said:
No I don't. There's not a chance in hell it will ever happen.

LBP doing 4 million worldwide? Actually, thats going to be quite possible... since LBP will have huge legs, more than any other PS3 game thats for sure.

Grecco

Gary Whitta said:

Err Wii Fit and Mario Kart? you know the things still charting on the top 10?

Bigfoot

sykoex said:
... and what about the Wii? To have a "Year of the PS3, it has to do better than more than just the 360"!

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
2 Minutes Turkish said:
This needs noting.

I don't know if Banjo will do as bad as people think. I don't see why Banjo can't op 200K personally.

Hopefully PS3 owners give Resistance 2 the respect it deserves. I know I'll be doing my part.

It won't, no fucking ads, but expectations for it are different as well. This year is all about Fable and Gears for the Microsoft. Lips, Banjo and the movies game aren't at that stature.
Fable has done its job, look for Gears to destroy come november. Sony better hope that R2 comes though in a big way to move some consoles.

Accident

Private Hoffman said:
Like I said before, last year the PS3's sales decreased from September to October on a week-to-week basis.

That's what happens when Sony announce a price drop three weeks earlier, everyone was waiting for the $400 PS3

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Zophar said:
:lol: whatever dude.

Can you come up with a nice response except of laughing? Think of something and reply, ":lol :lol :lol "'s don't do a thing. There is a fact, the 360 is beating the PS3 for second year in a row, WORLDWIDE, and is gaining momentum on Japan and Europe. The PS3 doesn't have many hard hitters coming next year aside from KZ2 and maybe MAG. The 360 has a lower price tag. Everything on 2009 is to the advantage of the 360, like it or not. Oh, and Xbox has FF13 on USA, that has to count for something: one less heavy hitter for the PS3 (exclusive-wise).

I am not a system fanboy, but the results are clear now. The PS3 is the GCN of this gen.

spwolf

DSN2K said:
I'm stunned at GHWT, it will likely do well over December but still wow.

600k over all SKU's? Thats not bad whatsoever... and RB had $126 average selling price and sold >500k... thats crazy...

plovie

Not surprised by LBP's sales. I'm not sure why anyone thought this game would be a smash hit, much less a system seller. What was supposed to give it its mass appeal?

FrankT

Private Hoffman said:
That was pre-launch delay, Jtyettis.

After the delay, I revised my prediction to 200k.

Learn to quote properly, please. :D

:lol

I've got a few more select quotes about holiday sales expectations in mah bag as well.

Top Bottom