• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Super Metroid (VC) Thread of Best Game Ever Made

I still have and play my SNES cart of Super Metroid via S-Video cables.

Can someone please tell me (if they genuinely know) if this version will look better since its in pro scan?

Considering it's my #1 favorite game ever, I know I'll get it even if it's only 10% better visually...

Evlar

Banned
Superblatt said:
I still have and play my SNES cart of Super Metroid via S-Video cables.

Can someone please tell me (if they genuinely know) if this version will look better since its in pro scan?

Considering it's my #1 favorite game ever, I know I'll get it even if it's only 10% better visually...
Colors will probably be better. If your TV has a really crappy de-interlacer the VC version may avoid the lag introduced by scaling the SNES 480i signal up to whatever your TV's native resolution is. Other than that it won't make much difference.

sk3tch

I will be buying and playing this game for the first time today in a couple hours. I'm excited. The only other Metroid I've enjoyed is the original on NES.

That Metroid Prime crap has always failed me...so I'm done. Even if those two weird Japanese dudes in their small little econobox car roll up to my house with a free copy of Metroid Prime 3 - will not play. Hopefully they'll dig around in the matchstick box-sized trunk of theirs and pull out Smash Bros. Brawl for me, instead. :D

tnw

Banned
sk3tch said:
I will be buying and playing this game for the first time today in a couple hours. I'm excited. The only other Metroid I've enjoyed is the original on NES.

That Metroid Prime crap has always failed me...so I'm done. Even if those two weird Japanese dudes in their small little econobox car roll up to my house with a free copy of Metroid Prime 3 - will not play. Hopefully they'll dig around in the matchstick box-sized trunk of theirs and pull out Smash Bros. Brawl for me, instead. :D

YOU MUST LEARN TO SPEED RUN

Get an FAQ after playing it through once to find where everything is. I just love speed running through this game :D :D

sk3tch said:
I will be buying and playing this game for the first time today in a couple hours. I'm excited.

I always envy those who are just now experiencing what I consider to be the best games ever.

brandonh83 said:
The music when you're on the planet's surface near the crashed ship (the surface of the Meridian lake) is... just... omfg

Here is an awesome remix I found, I hope this isn't breaking any rules or anything but I don't care, everyone in this thread deserves to hear this

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=LP187961

But if it's hardcore against rules, I'll remove it promptly. It's just SO AWESOME.

This site is blocked at work for some reason =(

Ill for sure check it out when i get home. This is going to be a long couple days at work. Waiting for super metroid today and bioshock tomorrow.

I do not own a Wii, and probably never will, but I support this game and by association this thread.

Super Metroid is in the top three video games of all time.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
I'm currently busy replaying Echoes, and don't have any wii points, so no Super Metroid for me.

However, I'd gladly accept donations of a Wii points activation code :D .

Haunted

It's good.

Scarlet on speed demos archive said:
I truly hope you enjoy this, likely my last Metroid series video.
nooooo! Well, someone has to beat that 0:55 of yours so you have a reason to go back again. :p

GaimeGuy said:
I'm currently busy replaying Echoes, and don't have any wii points, so no Super Metroid for me.

However, I'd gladly accept donations of a Wii points activation code :D .

If I could do it in $10 increments I would, just because the game is that good and it makes me sad that desiring players can't play it. But $20, well, I'm a college student and that's going a bit too far :D

I put 3000 Wii points intomy account so I could buy Metroid and Super Metroid. Metroid am bought and now that work may be rained out today I may be able to download Super Metroid in an hour if the mentioned time (9am PST I believe) is correct.

w3wt.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
brandonh83 said:
If I could do it in $10 increments I would, just because the game is that good and it makes me sad that desiring players can't play it. But $20, well, I'm a college student and that's going a bit too far :D
223.jpg

Lee N

Membre
I was gonna buy Super Metroid today.. but I don't have any points left. "Fine, I'll go buy some at VideoGamesPlus.ca" I think and head over to the site only to notice that they don't have any point cards left.

I have an American Wii and I live in Europe, so I can't just head out to the store and buy some points. And the Wii Shop Channel doesn't accept my VISA card..

No Super Metroid for me, at least not until VGP get the codes back in stock so they can email me one.

Garcian

Lee N said:
I was gonna buy Super Metroid today.. but I don't have any points left. "Fine, I'll go buy some at VideoGamesPlus.ca" I think and head over to the site only to notice that they don't have any point cards left.

I have an American Wii and I live in Europe, so I can't just head out to the store and buy some points. And the Wii Shop Channel doesn't accept my VISA card..

No Super Metroid for me, at least not until VGP get the codes back in stock so they can email me one.

Doesn't the Brazil workaround still work? Where you set your system region to Brazil, then you can use a UK credit card to buy point through the wii shop?

Saoh

i wish Nintendo would let us choose how many points we want to buy. i don´t wanna keep buying 1000 points and be left with 200 points.

i already have 400 points, if i could buy only 100 points :S

-WindYoshi- said:
So...

*scrapes rabid Super Metroid fans off of windshield*

What other games are coming to the Virtual Console today?
Someone should really start a general Virtual Console discussion thread that could contain answers to questions like this. If it could be ultimate awesome that would be ok?

eXistor

I've never really paid attention to the VC until recently (now playing Shining Force and Shining in the Darkness), but isn't SM supposed to be up by now? It's taking an awfully long time. I wanna know how much better this is from the botched PAL version. Even in that form it's probably my number two favorite game.

Evlar

Banned
Saoh said:
i wish Nintendo would let us choose how many points we want to buy. i don´t wanna keep buying 1000 points and be left with 200 points.

i already have 400 points, if i could buy only 100 points :S
Well... Super Metroid will be 800 points.
eXistor said:
I've never really paid attention to the VC until recently (now playing Shining Force and Shining in the Darkness), but isn't SM supposed to be up by now? It's taking an awfully long time. I wanna know how much better this is from the botched PAL version. Even in that form it's probably my number two favorite game.
Should be up around 9am PDT, so within an hour.

Well, I came in this morning to post Sharp's ultimate Super Metroid thread, but of course I was beaten to it (at least twice). :D He shouldn't have worried. Well, in any case, I'd like to contribute the bit I prepared before realizing I'd only be posting a duplicate destined to be locked:

Super Metroid arrives on the Wii Virtual Console today!

Many of us here on GAF are big Super Metroid fans. Today marks the beginning of a mission--to convince every Gaffer to download and play this classic, enduringly superior game.

It's been 13 years since Super Metroid arrived on the SNES, and in all that time, it's never been re-released. Many of Nintendo's other best and most popular games have been re-released, included with other games, or even given away for free. But not Super Metroid. Now, at long last, that ends. Today, people who've never played it, people who haven't played it since 1994, and those of us who've played and re-played it over the years are all able to grab this masterpiece and experience it together.

I'd like to officially invite everyone to come and praise Super Metroid, share your experiences and thoughts, and spread the word.

Here are a few screens to get you into the mood.

metroid2%20start.jpg

metroid3boss12.jpg

metroid3boss04.jpg

metroid3boss05.jpg

metroid3%20statue.jpg

metroid3%20items%20collage.jpg

I'd also like to quote this post by Sharp, because it's an eloquent sum-up of why Super Metroid was and is so amazing:

Sharp said:
You can't play Super Metroid for any length of time without admiring the game's polish. In brief, Super Metroid is probably the most carefully designed game I've ever seen. From the incredibly detailed enemies and the huge, powerful boss fights to the hidden elevators, myriad secret passages and densely packed levels to the amazing physics engine and in-game cutscenes, the attention to detail and overall quality--the creator's clear refusal to do anything the "easy" way, the way that might compromise the gameplay at the cost of immersion--oozed from its every pore. Little things like the power bomb beam stacking working differently, the bosses not simply requiring the most recently acquired item, the world design that was so different from the classical platformer, like seemingly useless tricks like holding down cancel while selecting to select an item for one use, like the shinesparking and walljumping techniques that were not bugs as they were in so many other games, but features explained by the creatures of the world, made the experience all the more unique and compelling. And the powerups--the Speed Booster, Screw Attack, the Gravity Suit, the Grappling Hook--make the already deep game even deeper, adding wonderful complexities to every route and opening up new gateways to new areas that were almost like new worlds. My quest to find the missile packs and my determination to complete the game with as high a percentage as I could manage meant that I had the opportunity, and the desire, to pore over every nook and cranny in the game, to go through every room and explore the haunting, fantastic, living, breathing planet.

And it all contributed to the sense of truly unmatched immersion that was begun when I set foot on Zebes, and didn't end until I got to my ship--no long stretches of text or pretentiously drawn-out dialogue interfered with my experience, no occasions on which I lost control of Samus made me passively watch the game instead of playing it, and, in short, nothing made me play the game the "right" way. The idea that there is one valid way of playing Super Metroid is alien to the game's very concept.

But what finally pushed the game, for me, from mere greatness to untouchable perfection was the way that the game's depths--its elaborate physics engine, its freedom from unnatural barriers, its huge world and its keen, urgent call for exploration--led naturally into speed tricks, sequence breaks, and out-of-"order" playing. Even something as simple as infinite bomb jumping--trivial from a timing perspective compared to many of the other tricks--opens up hundreds of new routes and new gameplay ideas, and makes every out-of-reach item not just a trophy to be returned for later, but a fresh challenge. Can I get super missiles without fighting Spore Spawn? What about his Super Missiles? Without power bombs? Can I get those two missile upgrades I've been longing for in Crateria before I even enter? With walljumping? Do I really need the High Jump boots to get to Kraid, or is there another way? The answers to every question on that list is yes, and they're just a few of the questions that can pop up in the first ten minutes of the game (if you're a speedy, anyway).

I don't even want to think about how much time I spent on those tricks, since I usually didn't save. By the end of my first game, the in-game clock reported that it had taken me over fourteen hours. My rate of item completion? 87%. After all my combing and searching, after spending literally over a month on the same game, I had missed 13 items, and as I later found out hadn't even discovered every room yet.

That's my story. For me, Super Metroid was (and is) an unparalleled, infinitely replayable experience, every runthrough fresh and meaningful in its own way, its every aspect polished until it gleams.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Will commence downloading in 20 minutes. First time through for me- I was a Genesis only kid and missed out on all the SNES goodness.

im excited for this, im gonna try to beat it in one sitting today.

I beat Super, Fusion, Zero Mission atleast once before each without doing anything else.

Socreges

Banned
In honour of this momentous day, and the fact that I do not have a Wii and thus cannot play Super Metroid on a television for the first time in my existence, I believe I will play and finally complete Metroid Prime.

I will do it just for Super Metroid, though, since MP doesn't deserve so outright.

Add me to the first-time club. Never played Super Metroid but always wanted to, held off on playing it because I've been waiting for Nintendo to release it on VC. That day is finally here (sniff).

brandonh83 said:

You can do it in $10 increments within the Wii Shop.

Socreges

Banned
whatdidyousay said:
Add me to the first-time club. Never played Super Metroid but always wanted to, held off on playing it because I've been waiting for Nintendo to release it on VC. That day is finally here (sniff).
VC hasn't been around very long. I suppose you weren't interested enough prior to that!

I am so jealous of all of you, btw.

Top Bottom