• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Best Game No One Played in 2023: Immortals of Aveum

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Atrocious trial. Non-stop dialogue, following your tutorial character for an eternity, constant cutscenes with terrible art direction and just pure boredom, waypoints galore, endless monologues about what to do, game is constantly taking control over from you… More like the worst game no one played.

If people need a FPS with magic abilities and an actual atmosphere and impeccable art direction, try Ghostwire Tokyo.
Well the game gotta fucking start somehow :p
It does start a bit slow but they are building characters.
I only finished the demo though so I can't comment on game any further than this.

I am the only idiot who paid 60 for it on ps5 lol. I gotta play it someday...

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Truth be told, i'd play forspoken before Immortals. At least i'd be laughing at mind-moving-shit girl instead of bored out of my mind.
You would be laughing for full 15 seconds because that cutscene is 15 minutes into the game and that's how long it lasts :p
The banter in-game can be disabled although I liked it.
You can also switch to japanese vo which can be somewhat charming but again - english vo is good. Actors do a good job.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
It never ceases to amaze me that people have time and money to waste on mediocre games.
New, single player, old style IP. That's a thing I will support. + first UE5 game.
I always scream for this type of games. NEW games like we had a ton in 360 era. Hell yeah of course I am supporting this stuff.
And the game looks pretty decent anyway. Like doom+metroid

ungalo

If people need a FPS with magic abilities and an actual atmosphere and impeccable art direction, try Ghostwire Tokyo.
Didn't play Immortals, but Ghostwire was pretty terrible itself, at least when it comes to overall design and structure. It had potential as a new IP and art design in some area is awesome, it's a shame.

ungalo

New, single player, old style IP. That's a thing I will support. + first UE5 game.
I always scream for this type of games. NEW games like we had a ton in 360 era. Hell yeah of course I am supporting this stuff.
And the game looks pretty decent anyway. Like doom+metroid
This kind of games could grab people's attention a little more often with an interesting aesthetic/world/characters. It's really the same problem with Atlas Fallen. You're not going to reinvent the wheel alright, at least make something that doesn't look like it's going to fail from the very beginning.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
With new IPs, the onus is always on the dev to give a complete and enticing picture of their product. It may be a great game, but 80% of the time, it will just become white Noise amid the Remakes and sequels of proven franchises. It always seems like these companies only go HAM on promotions for games that really don't need it, like FFVII and RE4, under the idea that "it's an unknown quality, so pushing money into it doesn't make sense, we need to put the money into big names!"

This is why our pool of new franchises continues to diminish.

Guilty_AI

You would be laughing for full 15 seconds because that cutscene is 15 minutes into the game and that's how long it lasts :p
The banter in-game can be disabled although I liked it.
You can also switch to japanese vo which can be somewhat charming but again - english vo is good. Actors do a good job.
thats still 15 seconds more than with IoA

Last edited:

Rockman33

Lot of really good things in it. I’m sure a sequel could have been great.

However, story was very lackluster. Since I didn’t really like the story or characters making me watch and listen to every cutscene was very frustrating.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
No GIF

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
This kind of games could grab people's attention a little more often with an interesting aesthetic/world/characters. It's really the same problem with Atlas Fallen. You're not going to reinvent the wheel alright, at least make something that doesn't look like it's going to fail from the very beginning.
It came out at a bad time, in a bad year and with 0 marketing so EA just kinda dropped them

T4keD0wN

Season 1 Episode 24 GIF by Martin

I wont stand for this.
Ive played it and this is top 10 worst games of 2023. It belongs right there with Gollum, Wild Hearts, Kong and Redfall.

This game made me miss playing Forspoken and wish i was playing it instead and i dont like Forspoken, thats how bad this is.

Last edited:
It just looks awful. Tbh

The gameplay previews honestly made me not interested, and originally I was excited for it

Just looked like a generic FPS except your hand is the weapon. And just wave after wave of enemy. Yawn.

After games like BotW or Elden Ring, sorry but I need something more interesting to grab my attention nowadays. Make a generic samey-game and expect lackluster sales. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Played through a couple hours of the demo. Technical mess on PC. Game isn't great. It's just another shooter but with magic. The story isn't interesting. Main character is bland.

I don't like it, but I don't hate it.

Goat Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

69/100 is pretty much dead on. Hope no one ignored the reviews and paid full price for this.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Why lol? Ghostwire is sick as fuck. Loved that game. Art style is digital horror Shinto. Its like what you could expect from Shin Megami Tensei in 100 years. Animations and attacks for the main character and enemies are fantastic. Game is exploding with color. Tokyo looks great. Late additions after a patch like the school mission were fantastic. There are small side missions with with better art direction than some entire games, like the ink dragon.

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Why lol? Ghostwire is sick as fuck. Loved that game. Art style is digital horror Shinto. Its like what you could expect from Shin Megami Tensei in 100 years. Animations and attacks for the main character and enemies are fantastic. Game is exploding with color. Tokyo looks great. Late additions after a patch like the school mission were fantastic. There are small side missions with with better art direction than some entire games, like the ink dragon.

I don’t see the great art direction. It’s just wet Japanese streets in the dark. Enemies are headless schoolchildren and guys in suits with umbrellas.
Everything is static, and exploration is blocked off.

It’s not a bad looking game, but nothing stands out to me.

KillaJamm

Performace on my Series X is absolutely terrible, it's rarely stays at 60fps. Got it for £7.99 and only got about 4 hours in it just hasn't clicked yet, image quality is pretty terrible as well, I will persist though just got so many better things to play atm.

Last edited:

Hohenheim

This game looks cool, but from some of the footage it seems like the writing is super cringy. I can definitly accept that if the gameplay is cool though.
Reviews seems all over the place, but some folks seems to really love it very much. Colin Moriarty has been praising it a lot,but his taste seems somewhat unreliable (like putting Outriders as his favourite game in 2021).

Will definitly check it out when it comes to GP.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I adore evil within2. It’s so much better than the first one. Ghostwire is on my shelf too. I gotta get to it.

Topher

Gold Member
It's 16 euros (not sure how much in dollars but close) on the epic store if you still have a coupon.

if it is anything like the demo then then this game needs a few more patches on PC. It's a mess. Freezes for a couple of seconds at a time and has some weird shaking effect during combat that is annoying as hell.

Folks would be better off waiting until this game is on EA Play and try it then, imo.

GymWolf

if it is anything like the demo then then this game needs a few more patches on PC. It's a mess. Freezes for a couple of seconds at a time and has some weird shaking effect during combat that is annoying as hell.

Folks would be better off waiting until this game is on EA Play and try it then, imo.
What gpu do you have and does the game have framegen?

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
What gpu do you have and does the game have framegen?

Yes, it does. I have RTX 4080

Edit: Apparently the shaking problem can be fixed in the settings.

"There is strange jittering or camera shake that makes the game unplayable. Well, this has everything to do with the settings.

To Fix Immortals of Aveum Shaking, Jittering or Camera Bob, you will have to go to the options inside the game. Then, proceed to the Accessibility Setting. You will find an option that says “Camera Shake”, and “Camera Bob”.

Turn both of these options off and the game will turn Smooth as Butter for the time being. Hope this helps!"

Last edited:
Is there a physical release? If so it will probably drop to like $10-15 soonish considering how the game tanked.

Edit: If it’s EA performance won’t be fixed. Look at Survivor and Dead Space Remake. Both are still shit especially on PC , but console isn’t that much better.
Yup, it received a physical release for both XSX and PS5, but for some reason I haven't seen the game cheaper than €40 where I'm at lol. Will wait for a clearance sale or for it to be added on EA Play/GP. Oh and I don't mind the performance issues, tbh.

Last edited:

AzekZero

Neo Member
I remember even before the disastrous marketing campaign I was getting cold feet from this game. Former Call of Duty devs making a game that seems to be a premium CoD-style singleplayer campaign?

Just sounded like a snoozefest. The launch day streams gave me ample evidence my assessment was correct.

People who skipped this missed out on a legitimately good game on PS5. It was fun! My only wish is that it had a steady frame rate.

I swear some of you clowns spend so much time and effort on finding reasons to not play games.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
People who skipped this missed out on a legitimately good game on PS5. It was fun! My only wish is that it had a steady frame rate.

I swear some of you clowns spend so much time and effort on finding reasons to not play games.

Folks can afford to be picky when there are much better options out there. Did you pay $70 for this?

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Immortals-of-Aveum-Key-Art.jpg

This game fell victim to several things, which caused people to overlook it and mock it. But it's one of the best games of 2023 and actually something ORIGINAL and not a sequel or licensed game.

People skipped it because:
  • It's EA.
  • It was released at a bad time between big hyped releases.
  • UE5 performance as spotty at launch - it's better now.
  • The marketing really failed to show what it really was.
That last one was a death blow for it, because if people knew this was basically a next-generation Metroid Prime they'd jump on it. But the marketing just made it look like a fantasy FPS while not highlighting the Metroid elements of the exploration and gameplay.

But that's what it is. Take a fantasy FPS setting like Heretic/Hexen, but build out the levels with Metroid style progression and backtracking once abilities are unlocked and that's what Immortals is.

The patch they did after launch also helped the resolution scaling, and it seriously looks really impressive now.

It should be hitting EA Play soon, so when it does download it.
I will play it when I can on gamepass. Same goes for Jedi. It's hard to buy a game you know you can play for no extra cash in a year or so when you have a backlog filled with great games.

zeomax

I remember that it was a surprise to many, including myself, to learn that this game is a lot like Metroidvania because all the previews sold it as Doom Eternal with magic, which is completely wrong.
It is not wrong. The game is more Doom Eternal than a Metroidvania. You reach an area, the doors get closed or a magic barrier appears and you can only leave until all enemies are dead. The metroidvania aspect is basically non existent. It looks like you progress further by unlocking new abilities but in reality you unlock new areas only by progressing in the story where you can use your new ability. The game is quite linear and you can only reach these areas at a certain point in the story. The parts which where previously locked contains only useless chests with money or gear and are not necessary for progressing in the game.

Top Bottom