• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official World Cup of Hockey thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Malakhov said:
We need to bring it back home guys :(
Sure, just get the league to move all the shitty American teams to Europe and institute a rule where teams located in said country can only use players from said country.

Malakhov

Banned
Naslund was interviewed by a swedish media today and he says his play isn't working at all right now. He said that he keeps thinking about the Bertuzzi incident too much since Bertuzzi was his best friend in the NHL. He says he's supporting Bertuzzi's family every week and he knows that they're going through a hard time. He also said that he feels very bad for everyone that was involved in the incident:

http://www.aftonbladet.se/vss/sport/story/0,2789,528657,00.html

Excuses? Only he knows.

Gregory

Banned
I usually root for Finland but I wanted Germany to win this time. And it wouldn`t been undeserved either, Finland looked totally out of shape. That 2-1 goal at the end was tough to take, argh.

Malakhov

Banned
Niinimaa leaves team Finland of his own willingnes, because he's not cabable to work with head Coach Raimo Summanen.

Damn.

Malakhov said:
Niinimaa leaves team Finland of his own willingnes, because he's not cabable to work with head Coach Raimo Summanen.

Damn.
In yesterdays newspapers there was that atleast two other finnish player were considering leaving the team on sunday. Luckily only Niinimaa left... Summanen (headcoach) is a loudmouth and lots of people think he's an idiot (me included), so I dont blame Niinimaa. But I think you could see in yesterdays Germany-game that not everything is right inside the team Finland. :\

dem

The Czechs are leading Sweden 2-0 after 1!! (as far as I can tell.. stupid work)

M. Straka (V. Prospal) 6:16
H. Havlat (P. Elias) 13:30

edit:

Zidlicky 3-0

Sweden has BLOWN IT again. I wish I could read Swedish.. I wanna see what the papers will say now.

Gregory

Banned
ahahahahah, 3-0 after 2 periods. hahahahahaahah!

The Czech Republic is gonna win the the whole world cup if they continue playing like this. I certainly hope so now.

calder

Haha, damn I knew the Czechs would be a terrifying quarterfinal opponent, just because you don't know if they'd show up or not. And they aren't the Finns so Sweden can't assume the Czechs will implode on their own and let them tie it up. ;)

The US/Russia game is impossible to call for me. The US looks old, beatable, tired and slow along with some dressing room "issues". But Russia is nearly as Jeckyl and Hyde as the Czechs, and while they've played well lately you never know if their third string goalie will remember he's a RSL lifer or if they'll mail it in too.

Well, that's why finishing first matters even if it wasn't crucial to win in the round robin. Slovakia looked good at times against Russia but beyond Chara their D is terrible and their goalie is pretty mediocre so I'm as confidant as you can reasonably be going into that quarterfinal.

dem

4-0
Wow.. Sweden getting spanked..

Another tourny like this and Sweden will be known as a choker nation.

Edit:
Hejduk scores..
5-0
OUCH

Forsete

Gold Member
Our NHL stars can suck my you-know-what.

Put in some god damn Elite-series player, these blown-up NHL "stars" do not care anymore.. They have about 200 million-a-year reasons not to care.

To Czechia!

Forsete

Gold Member
Project Midway said:
lol, Swedes underperform once again! :D Go Czech Go! :D

Bah, just you wait sauna man. The only goal the Finnish team is to beat big brother, now they will crack once they are under real pressure. :p

Gregory

Banned
Man, this game made my day. 6-1!! hahahahaha, it`s hilarious.
The Czechs were so damn impressive, I think they would have beat anyone tonight.

Now Russia just have to beat USA in 2 hours. I want a Russia against Czech Rep in the final, if that is possible. Finland doesn`t seem to have any chance in the semi`s considering all their internal troubles.

calder

dem said:
Another tourny like this and Sweden will be known as a choker nation.
Hah, Sweden are already the Atlanta Braves of international hockey - sure they tantilize for a decade and always seem to be almost winning it all but when you look back they didn't win the big prize nearly as often as they should have considering.

tx_tellqvist_all.jpg

Solid

I hate my country. Kick that fucking turd of a coach. First the olympics against Belarus and now this... my patience is gone! GONE!

Deepthroat said:
I hate my country. Kick that fucking turd of a coach. First the olympics against Belarus and now this... my patience is gone! GONE!
I didn't see the game, but you guys weren''t going far with a Telqvist - Salo combo anyways.

Solid

lolz Aftonbladet.se is having a poll.

Do you think Hardy Nilsson (head coach of Sweden) should quit?

Results right now:
Yes (77.2 %)
No (22.8 %)

Solid

BigJonsson said:
HE SHOULD BE FIRED
Yes! But the swedish hockey federation won't fire him! They even said it after the game!

"No we won't fire him. He has our full confidence."

Turds.

Gregory

Banned
Why is it always so easy to fire the coach? Seriously, Nilsson hasn`t been that terrible of a coach over the last years. Was it Nilsson`s fault that Salo fucked up during 2002 Olympics?

Blame the fucking players for once goddamnit. Plus it`s not like you lost to Poland or Romania here, it was fucking Czech Republic, which have just as many star players as Sweden, if not more.

Anyway, I`d just wish the players sometimes got more of the heat. :/

Solid

Gregory sure you're right. But we need a new start. Hardy has been coach for many years now. We need something new.

Alucard

Banned
I only caught the tail end of today's Czech/Sweden game. Where was Jagr? I didn't see him at all in the last 7 minutes of the game. Did he play at all? Did he get injured? Or, with the game already in hand, did the coach just make him sit because he didn't want to risk any injuries?

Malakhov

Banned
Jagr is a pussy, I f'king despise him now. He went on and said something like I don't really care about playing in this tournament, wtf? then why did you accept you moron?

nubbe

Hardy needs to go!
Sweden has had some of their worst records ever during the period he has been the coach… even with some of the best players in the world!! Outrage!

Malakhov

Banned
Watching Kovalev play on that power play at the end of the first period shows me that he's one of the most talented player in the league when he puts his game on, too bad he doesn't do it every night in the NHL.

I still hope the Habs re-sign him though, a Kovalev working half the season and the playoffs is better than most in the NHL.

Pochacco

asking dangerous questions
Cool! Russia stops a penalty shot!
I hope Russia wins this game - aside from a few players, I don't like team USA.

And why's this game being played in the US? Shouldn't Russia have home-ice; this tourny confuses me.

-edit-
btw, i just wanna say something about Tommy Salo.
Yes, he fucked up during the Olympics against Belarus, but the whole team was pretty bad that game - they shouldn't have even been in a position where Belarus could win by a flukey goal. And yes, I'm aware that he let in a few bad goals that game...but still...

Alucard

Banned
Malakhov said:
Watching Kovalev play on that power play at the end of the first period shows me that he's one of the most talented player in the league when he puts his game on, too bad he doesn't do it every night in the NHL.

I still hope the Habs re-sign him though, a Kovalev working half the season and the playoffs is better than most in the NHL.

Kovalev is amazing...when he wants to be. I loved and hated him in Pittsburgh because on some nights he looked like one of the top 5 guys in the league, and on other nights he looked like he was out to lunch.

Anyways, this US/Russia game has been great so far. The second period in particular was especially good.

Alucard

Banned
Cloudy said:
The ESPN guys are such homers :lol

How so? I was listening to the game on CBC in Canada. :)

A deserving win, but I still hate most of the players on the US team. Except for Leetch. He's cool.

Solid

Bleh! Both Sweden and Russia are out. Now I have to see one of the two teams I hate the most in the finals.

:(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom